Author Topic: Nintendo DS and the GBA cartridge slot  (Read 10301 times)

Offline Jdub03

• Bert Stanton speaking.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Nintendo DS and the GBA cartridge slot
« on: October 08, 2004, 02:55:33 PM »
Remember the expansion slot on the n64?  My question is will the ds be able to utilize this slot as a memory expansion of some typ.  Or even a storage device.  Can gba cartriges be programmed to act as memory cards.  This would be great.  Think of the many possibilities that could arise from this.  PGC staff any comments.  PGC users your opinions are welcome also.  If this is not at all feasible please say so here.
How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: Nintendo DS and the GBA cartridge slot
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2004, 04:53:18 PM »
"Can gba cartriges be programmed to act as memory cards."

Uh, yes...But why would they?  Carts are expensive and there's plenty of memory in the DS cards as it is...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2004, 04:56:29 PM »
What? The expansion slot on the N64? You mean the one on the bottom that was never utilised or the one that let you upgrade your ram? Are you asking if the DS will be able to use the N64's slot? What?

While it may be possible for GBA carts to act as memory cards provided that they were specially made for the DS they would be overly expensive and DS carts have their own space for rewriteable data storage anyway. And I can't really think of any otehr possibilitys it could lead to other than playing your save game file on a friends copy.

I sense a great weakness at the core of this thread
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2004, 06:56:23 PM »
Why would you want a memory card for a cartridge based system? The only reason memory cards were invented is because of the move to disc based games. And the only reason any N64 games needed one was because they were too cheap to put save RAM in some cartridges, just like what some GBA developers are still doing.

Thankfully, Nintendo will not allow this to continue. All DS games MUST have save RAM in the cartridges. So...why use GBA cards for saving games?...why not put the slot to a better use like for expansion packs to existing games. I'm sure EA could be all over that with the Sims franchise.  

Offline Jdub03

• Bert Stanton speaking.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2004, 07:07:37 PM »
I really didnt mean saving.  I was thinking more along the lines of expansion.  Maybe it could somehow be used as ram or something like that.

Edit: When I said slot i meant the gba slot.  Also  If cost isnt an issue they could also be bought and used as a storage device for game demos and other things downloaded wirelessly.  
How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2004, 07:31:13 PM »
If the GBA slot was used for memory it would most likely go to any mmorpgs that the system gets.  Which isn't a horrible idea.  I wouldn't want to see it though, because developers would get lazy like they are for xbox and make crappy games and promise more content later.

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2004, 07:47:25 PM »
Yeah, a week or so ago on DS-Insider, it was reported that DS games would be able to access the GBA slot.
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2004, 07:53:14 PM »
Yeah but that was sorta late news...we've known that since the DS was unveiled.

Remember the Sega Genesis Sonic and Knuckles games and how you could link them up?

Say you have your little Pokemon Ruby or Fire for your little GBA. How cute. Then you get a DS and say, Pokemon stadium comes out. You plug in Stadium in DS slot, Ruby or whatever in the other slot, and bam! Stadium detects your pokemon and loads em all. Yay.

Offline kurst_chao3030

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2004, 09:20:27 PM »
i talked about this a while back in a different topic...expansion packs would be nice
Banned

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2004, 11:29:09 PM »
It would not be possible, from a technical standpoint, to offer RAM expansions through the GBA slot.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

RE:Nintendo DS and the GBA cartridge slot
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2004, 12:21:47 AM »
Well, DS is 802.11 comptatable, so imagin that a web browser is released in DC Card format, well, you'll need a place to store those game demot you'll be downloading from Nintendo.net, or whatever...

But then again, they coul just throw a crap load of blank space on to that web card itself, thus completely making my previous statement pointless.  And that would be the more likley outcome.

I do like the simultanious access idea though.  Its like, "Hey, lets collect all theres cool upgrades in Zelda: Minish Cap, now you can transfer thom over to Four Swords DS.  Also, I belive it is most likely that the DS version of Action Replay will simply be a GBA cart you leav in as you play your DS game.  Also,  they could use the GBA slot for periphrials.  Like, put a rumble pak type thing in there, or a motion sensor for another Kirby Tilt & Tumble game.

I don't use GBA Video, but I'm just wondering if the GBA Videos will play in the DS, seeing as how they do not in the GameBoy Player.

Speaking of the N64 Expantion Pak.  There dosent seem to be a problem porting standard N64 games, as demonstrated by SM64DS.  But I wonder how well expantion pak required games woul run, like Perfect Dark.

Offline Jdub03

• Bert Stanton speaking.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2004, 03:24:08 AM »
Yeah you guys seem to get what i was trying to say.  Great ideas.  

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2004, 03:33:32 AM »
>or a motion sensor for another Kirby Tilt & Tumble game.

For some reason I was thinking the DS already had a motion sensor built in...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2004, 04:44:14 AM »
No, it would have to be built into the games...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2004, 06:22:03 AM »
It would be interesting to see how the Boktai DS game card will look like.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline kratos

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2004, 08:33:16 AM »
Who wants to bet that if the DS does good, the next Gameboy will be a GBA cart that connects to the DS and adds more power...... or is that just wishful thinking on my part.......

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2004, 09:36:20 AM »
Or here's a thought (however unlikely).

There seems to be a trend in games as of late, Special Editons. $29.99 for Game X on the DSN. Now lets say Game X is something highly anticipated, lets say Viewtiful Joe 3 and if you so choose you can get VJ3:SE for $41.99? The GBA extra would have to be something Capcom couldn't fit in to the regular game for space or lack of. An interactive comic, story boards interviews( gba video). Something of this nature I would be interested in. Nothing lazy like promises of future levels that could have been previuosly included. And of course expainsion paks for DS games already released.  
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline Jdub03

• Bert Stanton speaking.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2004, 02:35:02 PM »
good one.  Thats the type of stuff I want them to do.  Put that gba slot to use.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2004, 10:03:35 AM »
I don't think we are thinking in the right direction with the GBA cart expansion.

Memory, no not going to happen.  

However, Perpherals...YES.

DS could easily use a GBA camera type device, OR a GBA printer type Device, or some other bizzare attachment we wouldn't think would work for a portable system.  

Will Nintendo do this?  Most likely.  As for the most part in Japan these extras do pretty well.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2004, 05:32:12 PM »
Yeah, basically RAM expansion isn't going to happen.

But expansion packs, add-ons, etc. and especially peripherals are definately going to happen.

Offline Lost101

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2004, 09:55:04 PM »
Ram expansion is sort of unreasonable, not that its a bad idea but it just seems unfeasable in the long run, the N64 Expansion pak was a mess if you ask me.  I knew so many people who got so frustrated that they bought such an expensive system ($200 when it came out :-/) and then they have to buy an additional accessory just to play the games they want on it.  And what was it like 8 extra megabytes?  Pathetic.
Animal Crossing Wild World code:

3608  4016  4604

Name: Fausto
Town: Tatooine

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2004, 10:46:07 PM »
Hey, 8MB of extra RAMBUS was expensive back then.  Needing a GBA and link cables, and friends, for multiplayer... that's expensive.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2004, 04:46:28 AM »
Not to mention that if the GBA slot wasn't designed to hold ram, then it can't.  And I don't think it was.

The N64 RAM Expansion was designed for that from the very beginning.  The GBA slot is and was designed only for GBA games, and GBA type hardware devices.  SO I don't see getting extra RAM or anything from that.

Offline Lost101

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2004, 07:48:01 AM »
The game link cable is different, first of all I think its much easier to find four people who all own GBAs than one person who owns a Gamecube, and the link cables everyone can provide individually, and what it adds to the game is actually worthwhile.
Animal Crossing Wild World code:

3608  4016  4604

Name: Fausto
Town: Tatooine

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2004, 07:56:02 AM »
The GBA port is fast but not fast enough to act as RAM.