Author Topic: Breaking News: Sony Pictures Servers Hacked  (Read 75739 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Breaking News: Sony Pictures Servers Hacked
« on: November 24, 2014, 05:26:17 PM »

http://deadline.com/2014/11/sony-computershacked-skull-message-1201295288/

http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/24/7277451/sony-pictures-paralyzed-by-massive-security-compromise

http://www.reddit.com/r/hacking/comments/2n9zhv/i_used_to_work_for_sony_pictures_my_friend_still/

EXCLUSIVE: Things have come to a standstill at Sony today, after the computers in New York and around the world were infiltrated by a hacker. As a precaution, computers in Los Angeles were shut down while the corporation deals with the breach. It has basically brought the whole global corporation to an electronic standstill. I’d heard that this began with a skull appearing on screens, and then a strangely ominous message telling users they’d been hacked by something called #GOP. It gets more bizarre as the message claims this is just the beginning and then threatens to release documents by 11 PM this evening. There is no reason given why this is happening, and no specific demands. Mentioned are websites in places around the world, some of which don’t even function. While Sony works this through, there are no corporate emails going in and out and you can’t use your computer and it’s hit or miss on whether calls are going to email. “We are down, completely paralyzed,” said a source. Waiting on reaction from Sony, but if you’re not getting your calls or emails returned from Culver City, don’t take it as an insult or reason to feel small. No comment from the studio.

Deadline is in 35 minutes. Reddit is breaking down what's at the links provided.
passwords, financial details and other random stuff, but no concrete details just yet.

No word on what the demands were, but I'm gonna say what everyone is (or should be) thinking:
Demand #1 - Stop Ruining Spider-man! Returned Spidey to Marvel/Disney ASAP.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 02:15:54 AM by Wino »

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: Breaking News: Sony Pictures Servers Hacked
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 06:53:10 PM »
What happened?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 07:15:49 PM »
I think the Republican party hacked the PlayStation network because Obama.  I'm really not sure.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 07:18:36 PM »
This type of thing is awful...and quite scary.  Whatever the demands, I hope nobody gives into them. 

Online Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 07:42:09 PM »
The news blurb you linked states the following:  "It gets more bizarre as the message claims this is just the beginning and then threatens to release documents by 11 PM this evening. There is no reason given why this is happening, and no specific demands." Yet, the hacker's message states: We've already warned you and this is just a beginning. We will continue until our request be met." So, it would seem that this may have been done on a smaller scale or that higher-ups know more about it and are keeping the details of it all hush-hush. Unless of course these people are just making stuff up. It is all very strange.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 08:06:49 PM »
Whoever this hacker is never took a grammar class.
"this is just a beginning"
"We continue till our request be met"

I'll guess that the new documents are. Something, something, NSA. Something, something, money.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 08:13:11 PM by Triforce Hermit »
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 08:50:17 PM »

I'll guess that the new documents are. Something, something, NSA. Something, something, money.

Well, the GOP was never known for investing in education ;)

UPDATE: Apparently GOP stands for 'guardians of peace'
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 08:53:18 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 12:52:53 PM »
Okay so a few years ago PSN gets hacked.  Now Sony Pictures.  Okay I think Sony needs to hire better IT people.

Well I would expect such from a hacker that doesn't know that "GOP" is already taken and doesn't come across as particularly threatening or intimidating.  Apparently a rejected first choice for their name was WASP (stinging insects are fucking bad ass, dude!) but they didn't want to be associated with that heavy metal band.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 02:01:28 PM »
Or with White Anglo-Saxon Protestant.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 02:09:52 PM »
On the forum home page, the title of this thread showed only "Breaking News: Sony..." I thought the rest was going to read "...sells Spider-Man film rights back to Marvel" since BlackNMild's Marvel thread tends to get he most traffic and responses in General Chat.

This is far less interesting. I'm responsible for my extreme disappointment.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 02:54:01 PM »
"Breaking News: Sony...has now sold 4,000 PlayStation Vitas in North America."
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 03:16:18 PM »
I'm pretty sure that it has something to do with the Vita. There was something about they are refunding Vita owners who bought before 2012 or something. They lied about one of its "game-changing features".
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 03:20:31 PM »
Yeah, they dramatically overstated the ability for connectivity between Vita and PS3. Well, I guess not so much the ability as how widespread it would be.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 03:52:13 PM »
I take it no one has heard if the "demands" were met, or if the financials and/or inner corporate dealings were leaked?

There was something on Reddit about a MS security hole that could have been exploited prior to patch that would give them root access, which is how they were able to take over every computer at the site. I'm not really familiar with how to navigate Reddit, or the legitimacy of the claim, but they claimed that the financial docs alone would be devastating to the company, and some of the password docs are really stupid as the password to access them are in the name of the file...

Sound like Sony was very relaxed about security updates, protocol and actual security.
looks like someone people will be looking for new jobs pretty soon.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2014, 04:49:08 PM »
They released two ZIP files and a readme. The readme contained information to contact GOP if they wanted the real files. And here's what that means...

Inside the two zip files are text documents named List1 and List2. In these documents are the names of the files GOP likely stole and it's a lot. The size of one of the text files is 600 mb and the other is 1 gb, so you can imagine if these lists only contain the name of the files just how many files they took. A **** TON.

Now since those texts are so large, few people have the ability to even open them entirely and instead open them by line. But some have skimmed through them, and so far they mention everything from security and passwords, to financial documents and scripts. The GOP ransacked everything they could get their hands on, and it appears that they had access to everything.

And if you want those files, they are willing to send you them.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2014, 05:27:06 PM »
yeah, all that I know. I'm wondering if anyone has verified that the info is real by actually seeing it, and what that really means for Sony as a company.

They say the financials leak could be devastating, but has anything come of it yet?
I doubt any legal action could come Sony's way because of it as the information would be gained illegally... but I imagine some partners may want to reneg on deals once they see how accounting practices have actually been handled.

I'm just wondering what effects this whole thing has on Sony, and what all the information means, if it's actually made it's way into the wild.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2014, 09:28:59 PM »
Well for one, people are pretty wary of asking GOP for the files.

Two, people who do get the files probably won't post about it immediately or at all for their sake.

Three, give it time. This is a massive dump of info.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2014, 09:36:25 PM »
None of the information will make into the wild, unless somebody like wikileaks posts it...or a site like 4chan...or people are not afraid to reveal information...or think they are safe to what they want.

That is what makes this demand really crazy.  Sony can't possibly give in, because the data the person has collected never goes away.  You give in once and you have to continue.  The hacker has leverage, but can't capitalize on it.  Sony can't ever trust that the payoff will be respected. 

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2014, 01:47:43 PM »
4 unreleased movies (DVD quality) leaked to torrent sites: Fury, Annie, Mr. Turner, and Still Alice
http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/30/7309375/dvd-rips-of-fury-annie-mr-turner-and-still-alice-hit-the-web

not sure if this is related to the hack... but timing is probably not just a coincidence, even if Oscar season is coming up.
Only Fury has been released to theaters. The other 3 have not seen release of any kind yet.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2014, 02:48:22 PM »
Ouch.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2014, 03:22:47 PM »
and I just saw this on Reddit:

Quote from: yesterday
Earlier today the GOP released a 1.15GB subset of the files to select emails of media correspondents.
The file list can be found here.
http://pastebin.com/8HbbUSkr
They said they have 'tens of TBs of data' and they will release it as soon as feasible.
It sounds like they may be having trouble managing the scale of the release.

lots of personal employee info, corporate financial info, and generally anything that was stored on a corporate computer.... like nude photos of Vanessa Hudgens. yes, that was also in the file list.

Sony Pictures could be kinda screwed if lots of that financial stuff makes it out into the wild.
could make them ripe for a Disney buyout ;) just to strip them of SM and maybe JB and sell them off again.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2014, 03:23:46 PM »
Should have done it at the beginning of the weekend...
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2014, 06:56:18 PM »
I had no clue that they could have got full movies.  That is kinda a game changer.  If Sony has been waiting to release movies and all the big releases launched on the internet 2-3 months before releasing in the theater...that could significantly hurt Sony's profits and movies in general.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2014, 09:20:03 PM »
Breaking news: sony has now sold a total of 3 Vita TV's in North America