Author Topic: Is 2017 Nintendo's Greatest Year in Software Releases?  (Read 5002 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Is 2017 Nintendo's Greatest Year in Software Releases?
« on: September 13, 2017, 10:48:20 PM »
Sure, I may be jumping the gun with 3 and half months to go and with a few titles yet to be actually played and reviewed by gamers but I'd say we're far enough along to make some judgements on this.

Watching the latest Direct with the Mario Odyssey footage, I am ready to declare it Game of the Year without having actually played a second of it. Yet, then I remember that Breath of the Wild also released this year and then I wonder just how that battle of opinions is going to play out when people and various media sites start talking about the best games of the year. It's crazy that these games are both coming out in the same year.

Then I started thinking about other titles that have been released and it got me thinking, in one year, from January to December, is this the best software lineup Nintendo has ever released in that time frame?

The Evidence:

Switch: Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, ARMS, Mario Kart 8 DX, Pokken Tournament DX, Fire Emblem Warriors (and 3DS), Snipperclips, Flip Wars.

3DS: Poochy and Yoshi's Woolly World, Tank Troopers, Mario Sports Superstars, Bye-Bye BoxBoy!, Kirby Team Fighters, Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valencia, Ever Oasis, Kirby's Blowout Blast, Hey! Pikmin, Miitopia, Metroid: Samus Returns, Yokai Watch 2: Psychic Specters, Layton's Mystery Journey, Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions, Pokémon Ultra Sun/Moon.

Man, that's quite a few remakes or re-releases when you look at the list of software this year. I think that about covers it all. Maybe there's a title that doesn't belong or I'm missing one but that's it more or less.

Obviously, not every title listed is the equivalent of BotW or Odyssey. Yet, most of Nintendo's, let's say "B Games" like Hey! Pikmin! or Bye-Bye BoxBoy seem to have turned out fairly well to mostly positive reviews. The only couple stinkers may be Tank Troopers and Mario Sports Superstars.

What do you think? Is there a different year you think deserves the title of Nintendo's Best Year in Software? How would you rate this year's software output?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Is 2017 Nintendo's Greatest Year in Software Releases?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 12:11:34 AM »
Breath of the Wild alone already made this one of their better years since they don't release a genre defining game like that every year.  If Odyssey delivers as well which the Direct looks like it will, then Nintendo will have released 2 genre redefining games in just one year.  It'd be like if Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time were both released in the same year along with another high quality 2D Metroid and 100+ hours JPRG during that same time as well.

Then when combined with the sheer amount of other quality titles they've released or plan on releasing this year as well, I have no probably declaring 2017 the winner.

If anyone wants to compare, here's the list of games Nintendo has published each year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_products

This is also why anyone that want's to complain about games like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe or Pokken Deluxe shouldn't because the yearly list show Nintendo is no stranger to releasing enhanced ports to portable console which the Switch technically is because of its hybrid nature.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 04:26:14 AM »
Personally, I need to feel how Xenoblade Chronicles 2 pans out.

From my joy of just playing Splatoon 2 and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, this year has been the most favorable I've felt towards Nintendo since the turn of the millennium.

Hmm, guess that's my answer to your question!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 04:35:36 AM »
Nintendo should plan out its years like this
2017 Fantasy    Zelda Mario Splatoon
2018 Sci-Fi  Pikmin Metroid F-Zero
2019 Horror ? ? ?
2020 Action  :) :) :)
2021 Drama ! ! !
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 07:57:07 AM »
Seems comparable to 2003 in some ways?

Console:
* Zelda: Wind Waker
* Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour
* F-Zero GX
* Mario Kart: Double Dash!!

Portable:
* Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire
* Golden Sun 2
* Warioware, Inc: Mega Microgame$
* Advance Wars 2
* Pokemon Pinball: Ruby and Sapphire
* Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
* Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3
* Fire Emblem
* Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

That's not a full list, but hits the highlights. What's really lacking from that list is something "genre defining". Warioware probably have the strongest claim - although I've head some argue that F-Zero GX is the pinnacle of futuristic racing? Introducing Fire Emblem to the western world and releasing the excellent Superstar Saga also helps.

I'd argue that portable was stronger in 2003, console stronger in 2017... except Switch games pretty much are portable, so...

Although a bit skeptical of the claim at first, I'm coming around on 2017 as the best single calendar year for Nintendo software releases. Breath of the Wild is a huge factor here - beyond that we are really just counting on the potential of Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2 when making this call.  But 2017 at least deserves to be in the conversation.

Guess we'll have to wait and see?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 08:00:47 AM by ejamer »
NNID: ejamer

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 12:04:10 PM »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 12:28:37 PM »

Is 2017 the year of Mop it up's greatest post?

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 12:52:35 PM »
Zelda, Mario and Xenoblade is a winning combination, so far Zelda has been incredible so I'd have to agree with you Khush.

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 12:55:00 PM »
It is hard to compare with the big titles of the past, but I love that Nintendo is allowing more creativity and scope back into their game design.  It is a good time to own a Switch, unlike last year when there were no games.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 03:38:57 PM »
Check out 1995: Earthbound, DKC2 and Yoshi's Island in the same year!

Though 2017 is arguably more impressive because games take a lot longer to make now than they did 20 years ago.  It's actually pretty lucky timing that Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2 will all be finished in the same year.  During the SNES days you could crank out a game in six months.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 07:45:17 PM »
Yes.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 10:33:08 PM »

Switch: Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, ARMS, Mario Kart 8 DX, Pokken Tournament DX, Fire Emblem Warriors (and 3DS), Snipperclips, Flip Wars.

3DS: Poochy and Yoshi's Woolly World, Tank Troopers, Mario Sports Superstars, Bye-Bye BoxBoy!, Kirby Team Fighters, Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valencia, Ever Oasis, Kirby's Blowout Blast, Hey! Pikmin, Miitopia, Metroid: Samus Returns, Yokai Watch 2: Psychic Specters, Layton's Mystery Journey, Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions, Pokémon Ultra Sun/Moon.

Man, that's quite a few remakes or re-releases when you look at the list of software this year. I think that about covers it all. Maybe there's a title that doesn't belong or I'm missing one but that's it more or less.

Quite true but if you remove the ports, RPGs, and Kirby games, it's still a pretty good selection. There's that crazy Switch shooter where you shrink/grow instead of getting health, that one will be an underrated gem someday (not a Ninten game, but still). Make a donation to the great cause in my sig so I can try them all out!
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2017, 12:27:33 AM »
I haven't played it yet, but if Samus Returns is as good as it sounds from reviews it's unfair to write it off as a remake like some of the other ones listed. Zero Mission added so much new content that it was largely a new game by the end, and this one sounds similar.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2017, 01:29:52 AM »
First, what's with all the "Kong"  usernames?

To the question, I say yes! Breath of the Wild alone makes it top 3. HOWEVER, the 12months between November 2002 - November 2003 is Nintendo best 12 Months ever

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 06:12:22 PM »
Re: Kongs - It's a Funhouse thing.

I'm not quite ready to call it for 2017 over 1995 or 1998 yet, but if the rest of the games after now stick the landings I think it might be inevitable.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2017, 02:14:09 AM »
In 1982 The Thing, Blade Runner, and ET came out in theaters within 2 weeks of each other.   Tron and Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan also came out that year.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2017, 12:19:06 PM »
'98 having Pokemon and Ocarina of Time make it a close case.  But how many years do we get the new 3D Mario and the new Zelda?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2017, 06:41:46 PM »
'98 having Pokemon and Ocarina of Time make it a close case.  But how many years do we get the new 3D Mario and the new Zelda?

Closest correlation would be Twilight Princess and Super Mario Galaxy. TP was Nov. 19, 2006 and SMG was Nov. 12, 2007 so they were both released just within the span of a year but they were released in separate years.

If BotW had been released last year in November like a lot of people were anticipating and SMO still released on the October date it is coming out then that still would be the closest span between a 3D Zelda and 3D Mario. But the fact that BotW was held until March has brought about this shorter span and further created this unique situation.