NWR Interactive > NWR Feedback

What can you post in Talkback? Why has it become more "sacred" lately?

<< < (3/4) > >>

Khushrenada:
Yet, perhaps you are still unsure as to what can be posted in Talkback. Perhaps like UncleBob you feel that "digging up old posts (seriously, one is from 2007)" is no clear defense even though it was stated that they were shown to prove "memes and gifs are something that have been posted in Talkback both recently and in the past." 2007 equals the past. Or perhaps you feel that one image is fine even if it is large but 3 images is a 7.5 for Too Much Images. Just a bridge too far.

Well, let's compare the original post against other posts that have been allowed in Talkback. Remember, these posts have all been allowed in Talkback since I'm clearly linking and posting them. They were not deleted which means they must be in the spirit of Talkback and weren't past the limit.

On the subject of 7.5, perhaps we remember the Mario Kart 8 Review and some of the comments it brought out. Gems like:

--- Quote from: lukas85 on May 15, 2014, 03:42:23 PM ---wow this is fucked up, is the worst review on the net, taking points off metacricit and is totally wrong, you fucked up neal, you really did, you are the new gamespot.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: ResettisCousin on May 15, 2014, 06:34:30 PM ---And the video has been removed. Or as Neal would say, it has been colored over like the gray hair of a 30 year old woman.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Doctor_Pancakes on May 15, 2014, 06:46:18 PM ---This is by far the most unprofessional review of any type of media I have ever had the displeasure to read/watch. Not only does the reviewer drone on about how he hates how much a Mario Kart game feels like a Mario Kart game he goes out of his way to insult women and with that ruined all respectability this site has gained over the years since it was Planet Gamecube in the days of old. Never have I been so disgusted by an opinion... is this what modern journalism has come to? Comparing a fantastic game to to some poor woman this shallow journalist dated once in College? I'm done here. It was a great site while you hired respectable staff but this level of insult is only expected of foul mouthed teenage rage gamers that set up channels on Youtube.

--- End quote ---

And while I could go on, I think we get the picture that negativity and harsh criticism are clearly things allowed in Talkback.

Yes, heated debates are nothing new here. For instance, going back to the time the Wii name was announced, we received articles like this one Wii Will Get Over It, Won’t Wii? in which Rick Powers was unsure of the decision to call the console Wii. It brought forth such comments as:

--- Quote from: 18 Days on May 03, 2006, 08:13:01 PM ---
The people Nintendo wants to reach with the console will not be caught dead walking into a store and asking for “Wii" within earshot of friends.
--- End quote ---

Nintendo is aiming at the eight year old boys market? I thought they already had this one.

Pathetic editorial, Rick should drop his hate or leave forever.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Mario on May 03, 2006, 09:44:49 PM ---
For all of the wonderful things that the name is supposed to evoke, you lose all of them as soon as you have to explain them.
--- End quote ---

Why the **** do you need an explanation? There are thousands of names that nobody asked for an explanation for.

The people Nintendo wants to reach with the console will not be caught dead walking into a store and asking for “Wii" within earshot of friends.
--- End quote ---

Non gamers.
Casual gamers.

Different groups.

Overall it sounds like a horrible editorial from a  fanboy with his head stuck in his Nintendo sandbox, and one I wouldn't expect from my favourite website. Get some perspective

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: 18 Days on May 04, 2006, 12:17:47 AM ---Oh yeah it's gotten to the point where haters should be killed

--- End quote ---

And then thread was bumped 3 years later because

--- Quote from: RABicle on December 29, 2009, 04:14:35 AM ---
--- Quote from: 18 Days on May 03, 2006, 08:13:01 PM ---
--- End quote ---

Nintendo is aiming at the eight year old boys market? I thought they already had this one.

Pathetic editorial, Rick should drop his hate or leave forever.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: 18 Days on May 03, 2006, 08:29:22 PM ---Rick what you have to understand is that crap senses of humour and toilet humour beyond age 10 is exclusive to gamers. New gamers could not give a damn.

--- End quote ---
Just bumping this because I was RIGHT ALL ALONG.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Urkel on January 03, 2010, 04:31:06 AM ---Anyone wondering why gaming isn't as respected as movies or books or whatever simply needs to read this thread.

Embarrassing.

--- Quote ---
 DS was disruptive because of the gameplay that the dual screens offered.

--- End quote ---

Rick doesn't even know what disruption is. More proof he had no clue what he was talking about.

--- End quote ---

Gotta keep up the attacks. It's one of the things that doesn't go beyond the limits of Talkback.

Just to digress for a moment but bumping old threads in Talkback is also something in the spirit of Talkback. For instance, there is this thread about Mortal Kombat that was made in 2002 and which UncleBob bumped suddenly in 2009. 5 years later, he re-bumped it to let us know "Can you believe I once got moderated for bumping this old post? Man, time flies... :D" So, bumping old threads for a laugh is endorsed by staff and Talkback allowed

Back to harsh comments, here's a fun little example. In the article Why the Donkey Kong Country Delay Isn't That Bad, we will find the following comments:

--- Quote from: MetalMario2 on October 02, 2013, 08:44:12 PM ---Ian Sane, whenever I catch myself feeling too happy or optimistic, I just read one of your posts, and then I go into my bedroom and cut myself.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: MetalMario2 on October 03, 2013, 03:58:12 PM ---
--- Quote from: superyoshi128 on October 02, 2013, 11:46:21 PM ---
--- Quote from: MetalMario2 on October 02, 2013, 08:44:12 PM ---Ian Sane, whenever I catch myself feeling too happy or optimistic, I just read one of your posts, and then I go into my bedroom and cut myself.

--- End quote ---

Seriously,  get a grip. Its a video game, not life or death.

--- End quote ---

Uh...yeah, that was kind of my point. I just want to enjoy Nintendo and their games. I don't come to a site like NWR to be told by a bunch of eternal pessimists that the Wii U is the biggest failure since New Coke.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Oblivion on October 03, 2013, 04:17:41 PM ---Guess what, buddy? People have different opinions and viewpoints than you. What a surprise! :o

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: MetalMario2 on October 03, 2013, 06:03:48 PM ---
--- Quote from: Oblivion on October 03, 2013, 04:17:41 PM ---Guess what, buddy? People have different opinions and viewpoints than you. What a surprise! :Q

--- End quote ---

Guess what, buddy? I hate certain things too, but I'm not up in everyone's face all the time about it. What a surprise! :Q

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: pokepal148 on October 05, 2013, 08:22:17 PM ---
--- Quote from: Oblivion on October 05, 2013, 07:58:48 PM ---
--- Quote from: MetalMario2 on October 03, 2013, 06:03:48 PM ---
--- Quote from: Oblivion on October 03, 2013, 04:17:41 PM ---Guess what, buddy? People have different opinions and viewpoints than you. What a surprise! :Q

--- End quote ---

Guess what, buddy? I hate certain things too, but I'm not up in everyone's face all the time about it. What a surprise! :Q

--- End quote ---

I never realized voicing one's opinion on a discussion forum was being in everyone's face!

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Ah, brilliant. Now lest you think this was a case where the moderators missed this, you'd be wrong for Insanolord himself acted on the matter stating:

--- Quote from: NWR_insanolord on October 05, 2013, 10:22:19 PM ---Okay, this spiraled ridiculously out of control. MetalMario, I know it was a rhetorical point, but still, way out of line.

Secondly, MetalMario and Oblivion need to stop acting like children feeling the need to one-up each other. It's incredibly immature, and as was shown here, disrupts the forums.

--- End quote ---

So, why bring it up if a moderator told them to cut it out? Well, simply put, none of the posts were deleted. Hence, this means that although there was a showing of great immaturity and negativity displayed in this "battle", none of the posts were over the limits of Talkback to be deleted unlike the meme post in the original thread which was "too much".

But now, as I come to the end of my argument, I want to show some last few glimpses of what is allowed in Talkback.

Khushrenada:

--- Quote from: NWR_insanolord on May 23, 2015, 05:53:52 PM ---I'm not sure if you're just being you and stirring up **** for the hell of it or you seriously can't understand what he's trying to say. No one's saying TalkBack has to be serious. It's perfectly fine to joke around in that section, it's just a matter of degree. In the same way you can get crazier and weirder in the Funhouse than the rest of the forums, it goes the other way in TalkBack. That's the most visible part of the forums, and we'd like to make the community here seem approachable, and users taking shots at each other and spamming image memes doesn't do that.

--- End quote ---

The point that I'm making and am about to finish making is that this idea is very untrue. There are plenty of things done in Talkback that make the removal of the original post so weird and at odds of what has come before. In the case of Lucariofan99, UncleBob has continually stated that the reasons for the bans and time limits come from what was established before and past history. Such as S-U-P-E-R circumventing his ban from 2 years ago. Clearly, UncleBob is all about the past and precedents that have been set even if they are from 2 years ago. That is why I'm willing to show all manner of precedence that have been set in Talkback most of which occur within this 2 year timeframe. Thus, I don't get why he's suddenly trying to dismiss this argument because the examples given were months or years ago. To me, it's a two-way street. If precedence applies to rulings against forum members than it should apply to the judging of posts. I think, by the end, my point will be proven that there is no such thing as a Talkback standard and that the whole notion that the meme pic was too much for Talkback will shown as a fallacy.

ObbyDent:
EDIT: Nevermind.

Khushrenada:
Continuing on, we've established that negative comments and harsh attacks are ok on Talkback but what else has been allowed?

Want to give someone the finger? It's ok as shown in the article Still Looking for the Best Way to GBA? Look No Further than Rose Colored Gaming and this post:

--- Quote from: Oblivion on August 11, 2014, 02:04:04 PM ---
--- Quote from: peacefulwar on August 11, 2014, 12:53:28 PM ---Unless you've experienced it yourself, (which, by the way you responded, you clearly haven't)

--- End quote ---

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL ok kid

Yes, that middle finger is for you.

--- Quote from: peacefulwar on August 11, 2014, 12:53:28 PM ---"Illegal" is relative.

--- End quote ---

No, it isn't. Morals are relative. Illegal is illegal.

--- End quote ---

Want to get into homosexuality and politics? You can wade into ever so slightly thanks to Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games Impressions in which we have:

--- Quote from: KDR_11k on October 11, 2013, 02:20:07 AM ---
--- Quote ---The event requires Wii Remotes and starts off with the pair of players selecting one male and one female partner. No same-sex couples are allowed.
--- End quote ---

Well, yeah, same-sex couples would be "homosexual propaganda" according to the Russian authorities and get you arrested.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Shaymin on October 11, 2013, 10:13:27 PM ---Thanks, Putin.

/derail

--- End quote ---

Want more politics and government talk? Don't worry, you can make government jokes thanks to this talkback article mention how the government shutdown has
Pokémon X and Y Delayed at US Military Commissaries with posts like:

--- Quote from: oohhboy on October 14, 2013, 03:43:42 AM ---When does the coup start?  :cool;

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Pixelated Pixies on October 14, 2013, 03:17:32 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: pokepal148 on October 14, 2013, 05:41:15 PM ---
--- End quote ---

Want to talk about racism and sexism? It's Talkback worthy thanks to this article Second Opinion: The Wonderful 101 in which we have this great conversation:

--- Quote from: PokemonTrainerZ on October 03, 2013, 11:14:05 PM ---It's called having a sense of humor. I swear people get offended way too easily nowadays.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: CurtDogg on October 04, 2013, 12:21:37 AM ---
--- Quote from: PokemonTrainerZ on October 03, 2013, 11:14:05 PM ---It's called having a sense of humor. I swear people get offended way too easily nowadays.

--- End quote ---
Yeah, racism and sexism is hilarious.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: MetalMario2 on October 04, 2013, 01:48:43 AM ---It can be.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Oblivion on October 04, 2013, 03:11:43 AM ---I hate how conservative this country is with sex. Get over yourself. I want to move to a European country where you can quite often see topless women as a daily occurrence.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: MetalMario2 on October 04, 2013, 05:37:05 AM ---As long as the topless women are hot. If they're old and/or ugly, then I don't want any part of it.

--- End quote ---

That's holding to the Talkback Standard!

But perhaps Penis imagery is more your thing. Well, don't worry. You've been covered there also my friend. This one will take a little explaining. In the article Wii 'Classic Controller' Revealed, Vudu posted this:

--- Quote from: vudu on May 10, 2006, 11:33:53 AM ---Have you guys seen this yet?

--- End quote ---

To which Strell responded:

--- Quote from: Strell on May 10, 2006, 02:30:42 PM ---
Originally posted by: vudu
Have you guys seen this yet?

--- End quote ---

8====D

--- End quote ---

Now, it may seem strange what that means but Vudu provides the answer:

--- Quote from: vudu on May 11, 2006, 10:48:49 AM ---I can't believe no one got the joke.  It was photoshopped to look like a big wang (Wii, if you will).
Originally posted by: Strell
8====D
--- End quote ---
Well, one person got the joke.

--- End quote ---

Yes, the image was a Penis controller. Now, the only reason you can't see the image is not because it was removed by a moderator but rather the link to Vudu's photobucket account is no longer valid. But it and the Strell post were allowed in Talkback all that time.

Yes, whether it was posts by NinGurl69 *huggles consisting of:

--- Quote from: NinGurl69 *huggles on July 14, 2008, 12:52:27 PM ---RABICLE BOM ZEL DROPPEN!

SPANUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUND!!

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: NinGurl69 *huggles on July 14, 2008, 12:55:33 PM ---1:1 erection indeed

total immersion

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: NinGurl69 *huggles on July 14, 2008, 01:08:02 PM ---HAPPY DANCE

--- End quote ---

or Halbred's collection of girlie figures with a cup size ranking or just other users  talking about boobs

--- Quote from: KDR_11k on June 14, 2006, 10:59:01 PM ---I still insist that "sexy hardware" is not a valid label for something without boobs.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: KDR_11k on June 15, 2006, 03:17:07 AM ---Without boobs it's maybe... sleek or... cool or something but NOT sexy.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Wandering on June 15, 2006, 11:20:19 PM ---
Video games = never sexy. Fact of life.
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

the talkback threads have clearly and always been a place of great decency with a lot of concern about it being such a visible part of the forum and making sure the community seems approachable.

UncleBob:
I know I said I was out, but to clear up any confusion that a few of you might have, Khush received no official moderator action when the post in question was deleted.  He received no ban, nor any kind of official warning, nor any kind of mark on his profile.

This is because *one* post by him was determined to be detrimental to the ongoing discussion in the thread and was removed - with absolutely no other action taken.

And with that, I'm out again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version