Author Topic: Still Looking for the Best Way to GBA? Look No Further than Rose Colored Gaming  (Read 17445 times)

Offline mburns

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile

It's the original Game Boy Advance fused with an SP. How does this gaming concoction work?

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/38262/still-looking-for-the-best-way-to-gba-look-no-further-than-rose-colored-gaming

For all its revisions to the Game Boy Advance hardware, Nintendo never really managed to get the system quite right. The original model was a joy to hold — essentially a pared-back SNES controller with a built-in screen —  but that screen was unlit, washed out, and impossible to see without an external light source. The GBA SP added a front-lit (and later, back-lit) screen, rechargeable battery, and a new clamshell design so players could toss the system in a bag without worrying about damaging the delicate bits, but the narrowness of the new design combined with a pair of dinky shoulder buttons left older players’ hands cramping after the shortest of play sessions. And then there was the Game Boy Micro. A minuscule device with a tiny, vibrant screen marketed to young trendsetters who’d traded Game Boys for iPods, the Micro was as close to perfection as any Nintendo handheld has ever been… except that it dropped support entirely for Game Boy and Game Boy Color games. The original DS and DS Lite played GBA games, too, but that doesn't count.

To this day, the debate rages on over which Game Boy Advance is the best, but for players looking to combine the form factor of the original model with the backlit screen of the SP2, a solution has actually been available for a couple of years now. That’s because in 2012, a YouTube user named Zerey Zhang began selling a flex ribbon cable that can connect the SP2’s screen to the original GBA’s motherboard. And while this kit certainly isn’t without issues  â€” the backlit screen was never meant to work with the original system and so the combination of hardware can result in image retention problems in certain slow-moving games — it’s far and away the best way to experience the vast library of games released for Game Boy hardware between 1989 and 2008.

But what if you don’t want to buy a kit and install the mod yourself? Perhaps you’re squeamish about small electronics, or maybe you’ve just burnt yourself on a soldering iron too many times? Well, you’ve got a couple options. You could try eBay, where’s you’ll pay somewhere around $150 for a pre-modded system that may or may not be in good condition, most likely hasn’t been professionally built, and probably isn’t even using genuine Nintendo parts… or you could check out Rose Colored Gaming instead. Founded in 2013 by retro gaming enthusiast and console modder extraordinaire Matthew “Wiggy” Wiggins, RCG started as a tiny operation run out of gaming forums like Digital Press, The Cover Project, and Cheap-Ass Gamer, and has since evolved into a full time operation for Wiggins and his small staff. And it’s easy to see why: rather than simply offering pre-modded portables for sale, Wiggins taps into his background as a graphic designer to transform battered and beaten old systems into unique expressions of retro enthusiasm. I’ve drooled over RCG custom GBAs for over a year now — lusting in turns after the Dingy DMG (designed to look like an original Game Boy that’d been sitting out in the sun too long) and Space Cadet (a dead ringer for the silver and teal prototype system that debuted at Spaceworld 2000) designs. But when Wiggy showed off a couple early designs for a GBA line he was calling “Super Family Entertainment,” I knew I’d made the right call in waiting.

The Super Nintendo has always been my favorite game console, and with such a fantastic library of SNES ports and SNES-style action games and RPGs on the GBA, I’ve always dreamed of a version of the system that pays homage to Nintendo’s great 16-bit console like the NES-themed GBA SP and the Famicom-themed Game Boy Micro. Today, I’ve finally got the GBA of my dreams, thanks to Rose Colored Gaming… though it wasn’t exactly easy to acquire. Only about 20 have been sold so far, with hundreds of ravenous fans clicking furiously each time they went up for sale and failing to get one. Also, because of a slight mixup, I actually ended up receiving the wrong model initially. But it all worked out in the end, because now I’ve got snazzy pictures to share of both the purple and lavender (American) and rainbow-colored (Japanese/European) models. Everybody wins!

The first thing I noticed when I received RCG’s modded systems was that they looked like something that could have come straight out of Nintendo. And I’m not just referring to the design itself, but to the sheer attention to detail put into every aspect of the systems I received. from brand new glass lenses with custom-etched logos (a huge improvement over the scratch-prone plastic lens on the stock GBA), custom-mixed body paint that’s pretty much a perfect match for the Super Nintendo and Super Famicom systems, newly molded buttons and even fancy new rear labels, RCG’s GBAs exude class. For those wondering: no, they don’t come with a rechargeable battery pack like the GBA SP, but rechargeable AA batteries are a more viable long-term solution anyway. And obviously the GBA still doesn’t fold in on itself, so you’ll still need to find a soft and sturdy carrying case to protect your investment. I recommend Nintendo’s 2DS pouch.

Now, as gorgeous as Rose Colored Gaming’s modded systems are, I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention some issues with their products that could potentially result in a less than optimal gaming experience for some players. First: because many of the company’s designs are created by painting original shells rather than molding new ones, the newly molded face buttons have a tendency to catch on the paint and will likely need to be broken in a bit to achieve a level of resistance players are comfortable with — the system I’m playing with now doesn’t have any problems where buttons are concerned, but the first one had issues when pressing up on the d-pad.  Also, because some GBA motherboards differ in the way they react to backlit screens, you might get a different visual experience from your custom system than someone else who buys the exact same design. The first system I received had a much darker screen than I’d seen before on a modded GBA, but there were no pesky image retention problems, which was a huge plus for me. On the other hand, the system I kept has the brightest screen I’ve seen on a modded GBA, but it demonstrates a small but noticeable amount of image retention,  only really noticeable on two of my favorite games — Mother 3 and The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap. Game Boy and Game Boy Color games did look fantastic on both systems.

As a tinkerer myself, I’ve seen plenty of modded game consoles over the years, but nothing as thoughtfully crafted as the two I received from Rose Colored Gaming. I wasn’t exaggerating when I said these could have been built in-house at Nintendo. Having said that, these systems don’t come cheap — with Game Boy Advance systems going for anywhere between $189 and $249 currently, you’ll definitely feel some sticker shock while perusing RCG’s wares. But as far as I’m concerned, the price is absolutely justified. All of this work is done painstakingly by hand, with top-of-the-line materials and an attention for detail you’re just not going to find on some random eBay listing. The end result is something you’ll want to treasure just as much as any of Nintendo's official limited edition systems you might pick up over the years. I know I will.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
...mother of god. I want that.

Offline peacefulwar

• Localization isn't censorship
    • View Profile
Not to put a damper on this entire article but honestly, the "best" way to play GBA games is on a PSP using an emulator, which works near-perfectly.  You can select stretched or non-stretched, and both look incredible and awesome.  The convenience matched with the quality is second-to-none.  Let's see the advantages to playing GBA games on a PSP.

PROS:
Beautiful backlit screen
Rechargeable battery
Change games on a whim without having to swap out carts
Can potentially have every single GBA game released on the market on hand.
Play using 5 different graphics modes including scaled and unscaled (scaled still looks absolutely brilliant, as long as you turn on a filter)
Customize gamepad input to your liking
Save States
Cheats
A few other misc options

CONS:
Sound isn't 100% perfectly emulated, but is sufficient and does not detract from the experience
Not everything in a game might work properly (i.e. can't play Metroid 1 on MZM, but you can always get an NES emulator too ;) )

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
Did you forget that the screen resolution isn't that great? Similar to playing DS games on a 3DS XL. It looks blurry no matter what you do. That trumps anything.

Oh, not to mention that the method in the article isn't illegal.

Offline peacefulwar

• View Profile
Did you forget that the screen resolution isn't that great? Similar to playing DS games on a 3DS XL. It looks blurry no matter what you do. That trumps anything.
Unless you've experienced it yourself, (which, by the way you responded, you clearly haven't) the "blurriness" is a weak argument.  The games seriously look fantastic in scaled mode.  And if it *really* matters that much to you, yes, you can turn off scaling and play it in standard resolution.

Oh, not to mention that the method in the article isn't illegal.
"Illegal" is relative.  I'm sure Nintendo isn't too happy with people modifying their own hardware and selling it for profit, are they?  But they choose to turn a blind eye to it, much like emulation.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
Sort of makes me want to find my Indigo GBA and play it some.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
"Illegal" is relative.
LOL. I love this quote.
**SPOILERS**
no it's not
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
Unless you've experienced it yourself, (which, by the way you responded, you clearly haven't)

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL ok kid

Yes, that middle finger is for you.

"Illegal" is relative.

No, it isn't. Morals are relative. Illegal is illegal.

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
The fellow who runs Rose Colored Gaming has great design talent, and his commitment to quality is second to none. Unfortunately, the current situation regarding his products is that demand far exceeds supply, and his current supply of GBA SP screens has apparently dried up. So, if you are hoping to get one of these, you'd better say a small prayer, grab some rations and sit in front of your computer, frequently hitting the refresh button on your browser, hoping that you get lucky and grab one when new stock is put up.

I've been hoping to grab one myself, but they recently went up in price, and I've never been lucky enough to visit the store when they have stock.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Well you're using a PSP go, maybe that's part of the problem :smug:

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
I know you're joking, but the PSPgo actually will make the picture look better due to the smaller screen.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
This might be me being Naive but, if there is a demand surely someone makes an equivalent and maybe more efficient screen today that could be used in its stead.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline peacefulwar

• View Profile
Hey Oblivion, right back at ya! ;)  You're cute.  Net anonymity is awesome, right?

PSP with a GBA emulator is still the best way to play GBA games.  You can pretend all you want you have "better morals" but I'll be enjoying any GBA game I want on my better screen and more convenient way of playing.  To anyone who hasn't experienced it, I highly recommend it!

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
Hey Oblivion, right back at ya! ;)  You're cute.  Net anonymity is awesome, right?

PSP with a GBA emulator is still the best way to play GBA games.  You can pretend all you want you have "better morals" but I'll be enjoying any GBA game I want on my better screen and more convenient way of playing.  To anyone who hasn't experienced it, I highly recommend it!

My name is Evan Catlin and I live in Toledo, WA. I don't give a **** about net anonymity, I would have done the same thing if you were right in front of me.

It isn't about me having better morals. I obviously use the GBA emulator quite often. My point is, this is the far better experience if you want a legal, authentic, closer-to-the-original experience that comes with using a GBA and an SP screen.

I'm sure any older member on the site would say the same thing about play NES and SNES on a CRT tv on the original console versus playing it with HDMI on a PC or a Wii U. In fact, I know people have said just that on here.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
I'm with Oblivion on this one, although my preference is usually to play GBA titles on a Gameboy Micro because it's so unbelievably easy to carry with me anywhere.

The only benefits PSP offers over one of these gorgeous modded GBA consoles could be duplicated by using a flash cart - but the flash cart would actually be a much better option because it sticks closer to the original experience. (Granted I haven't been lucky enough to use one of the Rose Colored consoles yet. I'd put money on peacefulwar being in the same position.) You still run into the same moral/legal issue with a flash cart of course.

As a side-note, PSP Go gets a lot of undeserved (at this point in time) hate. The hardware was horribly overpriced at launch and the PSN store wasn't ready to compete with game pricing/availability... but it's a really solid little system now if you happen to find one with accessories on the cheap. I've got two: one exclusively for PSOne Classics - with a Dualshock synced for better controls - and one for PSP games.
NNID: ejamer

Offline peacefulwar

• View Profile

"My point is, this is the far better experience if you want a legal, authentic, closer-to-the-original experience that comes with using a GBA and an SP screen."

So, in regards to what the article said, there is a little bit of image retention sometimes (aka ghosting) when playing certain games.  I'm sorry but how is that closer to the original?  Because you have a GBA shaped console in your hands?  Whoop dee do.  Seeing as how that site shows all their systems being sold out or not being made anymore, not to mention they were extremely overpriced, I'm glad they were able to find a market.  But in regards to the "far better" experience, we'll have to just agree to disagree.  When I play games, I'm much more focused on the game themselves, not how much closer to being an "authentic" experience I'm having... if people were so concerned with that all the time, arcades wouldn't have failed in the US.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
As a side-note, PSP Go gets a lot of undeserved (at this point in time) hate. The hardware was horribly overpriced at launch and the PSN store wasn't ready to compete with game pricing/availability... but it's a really solid little system now if you happen to find one with accessories on the cheap. I've got two: one exclusively for PSOne Classics - with a Dualshock synced for better controls - and one for PSP games.

I loooooove my PSPgo. I can take it anywhere, it's small, I can play many different games on it, and when I'm home I can plug it into my TV and use my PS3 controller. The only downside to it is that it doesn't allow you to use the second analog stick for PSP games like the Vita can.

Once the Vita TV comes out in America I'll finally stop using my PSPgo.

Offline mburns

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
Without getting into the morality/legality issue -- I do think the PSP and PSP go are both great options for playing GBA/GBC/GB games... in fact, there's a PSP go sitting on my desk right now, next to my 3DS XL, my GBA, and my DSI XL. Having said that, I can't take my carts and play them in a PSP, which is pretty important to me -- GBA, GB Micro, GB Player, Retron 5 -- these are all ways I enjoy Game Boy gaming and the PSP just isn't part of that equation.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
The best way to play GBA games is the Game Boy Player. :)

That's a nice custom system though, if I had extra money laying around it's the kind of thing I would get into.

Offline StrawHousePig

• a tag
  • Score: -8
    • View Profile
    • Title available upon http request.
This is like what the "virtual console" should be; A real console that plays all the old cartridge games.

Even illicitly acquired ROMs!!!

Seriously they would sell several million of them.
Old gamers never die, we just run out of quarters.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
I've wanted one of these for a while, but I can't justify the price. It'd mainly just be for show, because I have all my GBA games on my computer and a DS flash cart that makes them more convenient than carrying a backpack full of cartridges everywhere.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline SonofMrPeanut

• (illegitimately)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
The lighting of SP, my favorite shoulder buttons ever and a SNES body?  Yes, please.

I agree 100% with Mop It Up, the smartest person ever to grace this thread so far.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
"Illegal" is relative.
LOL. I love this quote.
**SPOILERS**
no it's not

Well actually "illegal" kind of is relative if you think about it.  Something can be illegal in one country but not another.

I actually region modded my Gamecube so I could import the GB Player a couple months early because I hated the shitty GBA screen and didn't really care about the portable nature of the device anyway (I just got it because it had games I wanted) and playing it on the TV was the way I wanted to play it anyway.  I don't believe I ever once played later games like Metroid: Zero Mission and Minish Cap on my actual GBA.  If Nintendo released a DS or 3DS player for the Wii U (which the Gamepad would in theory work well with) I would buy a Wii U JUST FOR THAT.

"Illegal" is relative.
LOL. I love this quote.
**SPOILERS**
no it's not

Well actually "illegal" kind of is relative if you think about it.  Something can be illegal in one country but not another.

I actually region modded my Gamecube so I could import the GB Player a couple months early because I hated the shitty GBA screen and didn't really care about the portable nature of the device anyway (I just got it because it had games I wanted) and playing it on the TV was the way I wanted to play it anyway.  I don't believe I ever once played later games like Metroid: Zero Mission and Minish Cap on my actual GBA.  If Nintendo released a DS or 3DS player for the Wii U (which the Gamepad would in theory work well with) I would buy a Wii U JUST FOR THAT.

Right there with you, one of the reasons I got a Game Cube when I did was the Game Boy Player. If I bought a Game Cube today it would be for a Game Boy player but as mentioned there are alternatives to doing that which achieve the same affect and when your talking used game sales Nintendo isn't exactly losing any money there anymore anyways.
Trying to be a better person, honest.