Author Topic: Wii 'Classic Controller' Revealed  (Read 37184 times)

Offline KirbySStar

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Wii 'Classic Controller' Revealed
« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2006, 09:32:49 PM »
What?!  They got rid of one of the shoulder buttons?  That's stupid.  They can't do N64 games right if they don't at least have those two extra shoulder buttons on reserve.  The second analog control stick as c buttons is retarded and anyone who supports that idea is an idiot.  Plus the Sega games need six face buttons.  This isn't hard, Nintendo.  This really isn't.  Just have six face buttons like the Genesis.  Oh and they better as hell pack this thing with the system and every controller bundle set.  Developers might actually come up with creative ideas that might need it and the strapped wii controller in the future.  Nintendo, would be alienating developers if every Wii user didn't have one of these for every Wii controller they buy.

Offline Mario323

• View Profile
RE:Wii 'Classic Controller' Revealed
« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2006, 10:46:18 PM »
I'm sure its super-comfortable, they wouldn't release a crappy controller to play three generations of games on--the Virtual console aspect is a huge factor in enjoying the "Wii" experience.  If the classic controller gets alot of bad rep, people will be turned off by it.  I'm sure they engineered it well.  Was the Gamecube controller uncomfortable?  No.  The N64?  No.  I don't think this will be either.  It probably just looks that way.  Maybe if you were only enough you could attend E3 and see for yourself whether it were comfortable by holding in your hobo lil hands.

Offline Mario323

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2006, 10:49:35 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
You know I just realized that if you were going to make a controller specifically for the virtual console all you need is an N64 controller.  NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, and T-16 would ALL work perfectly on it.

What!?  No.  The SNES and N64 controllers are really different.  I guess you could argue that the n64 "has" X and Y buttons, but they are "C" buttons and are smaller and harder to press.  This controller is a great design that is easy to use for every gen.  The C stick will probably be handled like it was for Zelda: master quest--the right analog stick up will translate to up c button, right on the right analog stick = right c button, etc.

Offline mmortal03

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2006, 08:58:13 AM »

Originally posted by: Mario323

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
You know I just realized that if you were going to make a controller specifically for the virtual console all you need is an N64 controller.  NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, and T-16 would ALL work perfectly on it.

What!?  No.  The SNES and N64 controllers are really different.  I guess you could argue that the n64 "has" X and Y buttons, but they are "C" buttons and are smaller and harder to press.  This controller is a great design that is easy to use for every gen.  The C stick will probably be handled like it was for Zelda: master quest--the right analog stick up will translate to up c button, right on the right analog stick = right c button, etc.

So then they make the buttons that represent the c buttons a little bigger.  I think that using the N64 controller as a model would be better than this, and I don't think he was being THAT specific.  Look at what I put up earlier in the thread, I specifically made the C buttons bigger and closer to the other two buttons.  

Again, I would rather have C-buttons than have to use the second joystick to emulate them.  Having buttons mean you could also use them for fighting games, you can't do that with a second stick.

Edit with examples:

OR

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2006, 09:03:16 AM »
"What!? No. The SNES and N64 controllers are really different. I guess you could argue that the n64 'has' X and Y buttons, but they are 'C' buttons and are smaller and harder to press. This controller is a great design that is easy to use for every gen. The C stick will probably be handled like it was for Zelda: master quest--the right analog stick up will translate to up c button, right on the right analog stick = right c button, etc."

Well they could always slightly alter the C buttons.  I was just talking about the general shape and design.  I wouldn't want the literal N64 analog stick either.  Put a Cube analog stick in the same place would be fine.  As for the C-stick thing please press C-up and C-right at the same time.  Oh that's right.  YOU CAN'T!

I've been quite impressed with Nintendo this E3 but it bothers me that something as simple as THIS is being f*cked up.  The controller looks like it was designed by someone who is completely unfamiliar with the older controllers.  Like they've never played any N64 games EVER and thus are oblivious to the huge problems this design presents.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2006, 09:16:00 AM »
Ian, it's not the final design and you should know that alot of stuff that is shown on E3 is there to collect reactions for future and final specifications wether it be for games or controllers.  

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2006, 09:23:16 AM »
"Ian, it's not the final design and you should know that alot of stuff that is shown on E3 is there to collect reactions for future and final specifications wether it be for games or controllers."

I know but this is routine stuff.  All it takes is five minutes with an N64 game that actually uses the C buttons and you would be able to tell this controller isn't good enough.  This should be EASY to get right the first time.  The fact that this issue even exists makes Nintendo look sloppy.  The amount of effort that would be required to do this right is so minor that really sheer laziness is the only reason why the controller is the way it is.  Five minutes of research.  That's it.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2006, 09:27:23 AM »
LOL, I guess so, but for me all that matters is that as long as it is playable with all VC games then i'm fine with it, and it has to be confortable on the hands too.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2006, 10:48:49 AM »

Originally posted by: AnyoneEB
vudu: Maybe they do attack, but that looks pretty unwieldy.

Originally posted by: Guitar Smasher
It makes sense that the cord would come out of the bottom, as it plugs into the remote like the nunchuck does.   If the remote does attach to those clips, then the cord would have to come out the back, lest it be wrapped around the entire combination.

Originally posted by: mmortal03
So is that picture with the wii-mote on the top of it official, or photoshopped?
I can't believe no one got the joke.  It was photoshopped to look like a big wang (Wii, if you will).

Originally posted by: Strell
8====D
Well, one person got the joke.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline infinitys_end

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 11, 2006, 09:25:18 PM »

here's my mockup.  I guess it really doesn't make a whole lotta sense to put dual-analogs on the thing if you're making it so you can comfortably play classic games...  But again - it still had to retain functionality for ports, right?  and AGAIN isn't Nintendo kinda trying to dissuade game companies from making ports?  That's why they designed their new controller so different in the first place, right? and AGAIN, if a company wants to make a game that you would have dual-analog with, why wouldn't they utilize the remote-nunchuck function!? T_T  I don't get it....    
NO SIGNATURE IMAGES

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #85 on: May 11, 2006, 09:39:14 PM »
^First off, that is about 5 billion percent too big. Second off, I'm pretty sure the controller will also be used to play GameCube games, and possibly even games like Super Smash Bros.

I can't believe no one got the joke. It was photoshopped to look like a big wang (Wii, if you will).

I chuckled...  
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline infinitys_end

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 11, 2006, 10:21:31 PM »

Originally posted by: wandering
^First off, that is about 5 billion percent too big. Second off, I'm pretty sure the controller will also be used to play GameCube games, and possibly even games like Super Smash Bros.

Uh, isn't that why they have GC ports on the top of the Wii?  To play GC games comfortably!?  This is the *CLASSIC* controller...it doesn't need analog sticks.  Especially if it's priced at like $15-20.
NO SIGNATURE IMAGES

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 12, 2006, 12:08:16 AM »
I wonder if the classic controller can be used in Brawl, that would explain the dual analog setup plus make it easy to play GCN games on the Wii.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 12, 2006, 05:26:12 AM »
At first I thought that maybe turning it upside down could help, but the analogs are too centered, and the Dpad isnt a good replacement for buttons.

Its really hard to make it good for all past platforms, but if one should suffer, it should be the GC, we all have already GC controllers anyway, it is in our best interest that it works perfectly for the other platforms.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 12, 2006, 05:58:53 AM »
After seeing it in use in some IGN videos, I think it will be plenty comfortable.  It's much smaller than the pictures make it look.  Also, I think it solves the analog stick placement problem.  Obviously, I can't be sure until I hold it, but it looks like a clever try.  Until now, controllers have really remained pretty blocky.  Manufacturers just made them comfortable by adding handles to them.  Those handles force you to hold the controller one way, which in the case of the Dual Shock means that the analog sticks are in a less than perfect location.  The Gamecube controller got around that problem by putting the seldom used D-pad in the uncomfortable location, but that's just a workaround that's usually good enough, but not always.  What Nintendo has done with this new controller is get rid of the handles and make the controller itself comfortable to hold.  This means that you can shift your grip to make whichever features you're using easy to reach while still wrapping your fingers around something comfortable.  Brilliant if it works.  That still doesn't solve the N64 problem, but N64 games will probably be the least popular on the VC, anyway.  Also, they'll probably alter the N64 games that they release for download like they did for Ocarina of Time.

Since this thing is apparently designed with ports in mind, does anyone know if it has those accursed clickable analog sticks?

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2006, 07:05:07 PM »
I just remembered of this today, so I will have 4 nunchaku-wiimotes, 4 VC controllers, and possibly 4 light-guns? No, I'm not really doing that, but Nintendo surely should have considered this when designing the VC controller. Granted the console is small so there's more space for the controllers but IMO that is just way too many controllers that one could have. So I guess I'm just going to have to wait to see how Nintendo bundles and prices the controllers to make a final decision on what to get.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 12, 2006, 07:14:22 PM »
Don't forget that you'll be keeping your 4 GCN Controllers, Bongos, Action Pads...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2006, 07:34:14 PM »
OMGosh UncleBob, I forgot about those! <screams>

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 16, 2006, 10:25:20 PM »

Is it a third set of shoulder buttons?  
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 16, 2006, 10:30:11 PM »
huh? I'm only seeing 2 sets on the classic controller.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 16, 2006, 10:52:02 PM »
I highlighted the shapes in question, it may just be a double reflection but the lighter colored patches of grey in the reflection look like a third set of shoulder buttons on the back of the classic pad.  Check ign for a larger pic.

It just seems weird that if this were true noone would mention it, in fact the first post of this thread has been updated with a newer shell with fewer buttons than before.
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 16, 2006, 11:45:31 PM »
Ah, I see your highlights now (my monitor brightness was very low.)

It just seems weird that if this were true noone would mention it, in fact the first post of this thread has been updated with a newer shell with fewer buttons than before.

So the older shell had an extra set of shoulder buttons, but the newer one doesn't? I doubt it..but you never know.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 17, 2006, 06:54:41 AM »
Looks like that's just the glue that keep it in place.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #98 on: May 17, 2006, 08:37:03 AM »
Yeah guys.. don't forget we held one that we were told was the newest version and even took a picture of the back of it.  Try and avoid silly conspiracy theories.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 17, 2006, 08:47:40 AM »
does it have rumble? maybe because its an attachment it probably hasnt, but it would be a nice addition.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro