Author Topic: Any good RPG recommendations?  (Read 8137 times)

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Any good RPG recommendations?
« on: August 24, 2011, 07:53:24 PM »
I've been wanting a classic RPG fix for quite some time. I have FFVI on my PSX but it just isn't holding up my interest.
Anyone recommend an old RPG that I could easily get on an emulator? I just want something good that will hold my interest until I feel like playing FFVI again.

Offline leroypantweather

• Score: -6
    • View Profile
Re: Any good RPG recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 10:33:26 PM »
    Earthbound always seems to be a nice quirky breath of freshness,  I would also suggest the Lunar series for psx . I just played the remake recently on the PSP and it reminded me a lot of classic snes rpgs  (with the straightforwardness, great dialogue, and well developed characters, plus the main character plays an ocarina like a G.  Last suggestion would be Persona 2 (again psx  w/fan translation... HITLER BATTLE ANYONE!!!).  For my money the Persona series is probably my favorite jrpg franchise; the games are dark and the story and dialogue are actually interesting.  Persona 3 and 4 are also amazing but I wasn't sure if your computer was capable of emulating ps2 games well.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 12:01:47 AM »
Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden

http://www.talesofgames.com/barkley/

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 10:13:36 PM »
Phantasy Star 4.  The earlier ones are all overshadowed by it.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 12:11:08 AM »
I just recently started playing Demon's Souls on the PS3. Haven't gotten very far yet because I just started (meaning a few hours ago), but it is an RPG and seems pretty cool. Its also cheap too. I got it for $15 and change on Amazon brand new.
is your sanity...

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 12:24:18 AM »
Look up the overlooked SNES gem Robotrek. You play as a young inventor who creates robots to fight for him, plus other inventions to overcome obstacles and solve problems. It's got a goofy sense of humor, the combat system is fast-paced, and the soundtrack is amazing.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 01:17:03 AM »
I just recently started playing Demon's Souls on the PS3. Haven't gotten very far yet because I just started (meaning a few hours ago), but it is an RPG and seems pretty cool. Its also cheap too. I got it for $15 and change on Amazon brand new.

I own it. Want to team up? What's your ID?

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 04:50:01 AM »
Play Oblivion, that game is the ****.

Oh and pre-order Skyrim.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 10:18:31 AM »
I don't like the Elder Scrolls series. The only one i barely even was interested in was the second one i got off their website.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 11:01:13 AM »
Play Oblivion, that game is the ****.

Oh and pre-order Skyrim.

If you're going to play an Elder Scrolls game, please make sure it isn't Oblivion. Oblivion is easily the worst in the entire series. It's bland and boring. You can get Morrowind and its two huge expansion packs pretty cheap. It's easily one of the best RPGs ever made, let alone the best in the Elder Scrolls series. Furthermore, there are a ton of great mods out there to add more modern gameplay elements and graphics to the title.

Other than that... older RPGs? Hm...
  • Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
  • Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption
  • Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (I guess it is old by today's standards... which makes me feel old)
  • Deus Ex (skip the lame sequels)
  • System Shock 2 (The first game is great, but not necessarily connected story-wise)
  • Fallout
  • Fallout 2
  • Diablo (with Hellfire for singleplayer and LAN)
  • Diablo II (with Lord of Destruction)
  • Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (with Tribunal and Bloodmoon)
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 11:41:34 AM »
I don't like the Elder Scrolls series. The only one i barely even was interested in was the second one i got off their website.

It is ironic that your username is Oblivion, yet you don't like the game of that name.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 01:05:50 PM »
Fallout and especially Fallout 2 are the ****.

If you only have time for one, start with Fallout 2
one of my favorite games

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 01:37:05 PM »

It is ironic that your username is Oblivion, yet you don't like the game of that name.

That is why I posted at all...
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 01:53:42 PM »
My username is based off the Kingdom Hearts series. And it's also my favorite word. People still assume it's because of Elder Scrolls. But yeah.
I want to play System Shock 2 but I don't want to buy it. Too bad we can"t talk piracy here...

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 02:47:15 PM »
So then don't buy it...

It's an old game that is difficult to find nowadays. On the plus side, there are a lot of very well done mods that increase the texture and model quality throughout. :)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2011, 04:18:32 PM »
What sucked about Oblivion to me was how repetitive it would be at times. I especially hated closing the Oblivion gates. There were like over 50 of them total and if you went through and closed one you basically seen them all because they were all just subtle variations of one another.

I also hated all the useless clutter items laying all over the place, and the game was buggy as hell. If you have the PC version you can deal with alot of the issues through the console, but if you are playing the game on a console it is a real pain in the ass. I had so many quest items that due to glitches or whatever the quest they were for was already completed yet the item didn't get removed from my inventory so I was loaded full of useless crap which I couldn't drop or get rid of in any way which was a pain when you want to cycle through stuff to look for something in particular and yet you have pages and pages of worthless crap.

I don't think Skyrim will have these problems, because Fallout 3 doesn't and apparently Skyrim is going to be built off the Fallout 3 engine so a lot of these Oblivion annoyances will be gone I expect.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 04:21:34 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 04:49:50 PM »
Fallout 3 and New Vegas both felt just as buggy as Oblivion and Morrowind... that's to say, it generally ran fine unless you installed a lot of mods that somehow conflicted. Maybe I just have great luck running the titles, though?

Closing all of the Oblivion Gates was the absolute worst part of it all. The general setting was very bland though, especially in comparison to Morrowind. Skyrim looks to avoid that issue thus far.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2011, 12:01:13 PM »
Fallout 3 and New Vegas both felt just as buggy as Oblivion and Morrowind... that's to say, it generally ran fine unless you installed a lot of mods that somehow conflicted. Maybe I just have great luck running the titles, though?

Closing all of the Oblivion Gates was the absolute worst part of it all. The general setting was very bland though, especially in comparison to Morrowind. Skyrim looks to avoid that issue thus far.

I agree about the "thus far" part, and I am optimistic about Skyrim, but my optimism is tempered by the fact that they made so many similar-sounding promises for Oblivion...*

*I still really liked Oblivion though, especially once modded.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2011, 12:29:02 PM »
I don't think Skyrim will have these problems, because Fallout 3 doesn't and apparently Skyrim is going to be built off the Fallout 3 engine so a lot of these Oblivion annoyances will be gone I expect.

Actually, I've heard that Skyrim will be using a whole new engine instead of using the Oblivion/Fallout engine.  And good riddance, since Fallout 3 and New Vegas are some of the most crash-happy, bug-ridden games I've ever played on a console.  It boggles the mind how Bethesda got those games through Sony and Microsoft certification.

Now, because the Fallout games turned out like they did, I have no faith that Skyrim will be any better in the bug department.  But at least maybe it won't crash every 5 minutes like Fallout 3 and New Vegas did, at least on PS3.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2011, 06:42:43 PM »
Actually, I've heard that Skyrim will be using a whole new engine instead of using the Oblivion/Fallout engine.

I heard it will be using the leveling system from Fallout 3. I hope they carry over the "Perk" system as well, with a more medieval theme of course. That was one thing I really liked from Fallout 3 that Oblivion didn't have.

It boggles the mind how Bethesda got those games through Sony and Microsoft certification.

Probably the same way they were able to recently re-release Oblivion in the form of a 5 year anniversary edition on the PS3 and 360, yet they were somehow able to circumvent Sony's rule that everything after 2009 must have trophy support. It could have been easily added in a patch, but it never was. The 360 has it. The 5th anniversary edition came out after the rule was in effect so it should have. I don't know how they got past that.

But if you have enough money I guess you can do just about anything, and its not like either Microsoft or Sony can say no to them because the Elder Scrolls and Fallout series is a big deal in the gaming world. That last thing either console manufacturer wants to do is antagonize Bethesda and risk them not supporting their hardware with those titles. So I guess they are willing to let the buggy crashprone software slide and get rammed through certification.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 06:48:37 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2011, 07:23:26 PM »
With some luck, maybe Elder Scrolls 6 and Fallout 4 will both use the Id Tech 5 (or 6 by then) engine. You would think that Bethesda would want to utilize Id Software's engines to some degree, otherwise there wouldn't have been a whole lot of reason to have acquired them. No one makes better game engines than Id. :)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2011, 08:40:32 PM »
With some luck, maybe Elder Scrolls 6 and Fallout 4 will both use the Id Tech 5 (or 6 by then) engine. You would think that Bethesda would want to utilize Id Software's engines to some degree, otherwise there wouldn't have been a whole lot of reason to have acquired them. No one makes better game engines than Id. :)

For FPS, sure, but isn't Elder Scrolls different and have much different requirements?

Also, Bethesda doesn't own id. Zenimax does... but since Zenimax also owns Bethesda maybe it means the same thing.
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2011, 08:46:48 PM »
Also, Bethesda doesn't own id. Zenimax does... but since Zenimax also owns Bethesda maybe it means the same thing.

For all intents and purposes, same thing. It's like how Rockstar Games and 2K Games are both owned by Take-Two Interactive, so it's no problem for them to share resources like game engines.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2011, 10:42:33 PM »
For FPS, sure, but isn't Elder Scrolls different and have much different requirements?

I don't know. Id's engines have always shown great versatility. Tech 5 has already proven to be very capable of huge open-world environments and many of the RPG mechanics you would expect from something like the Elder Scrolls. Besides, it's wouldn't hurt the series to have the movements and general combat tightened up a bit, which is something it'd get in spades from Id.