Author Topic: REVIEWS: The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass  (Read 45234 times)

Offline Maverick

• Internet newbie :-)
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: REVIEWS: The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
« Reply #75 on: October 06, 2007, 10:18:25 PM »
Well one thing is for sure, I definitely suck at the arrow shooting mini-game.    I spent well over 1000 rupees to beat it (2000 points), but at least I had fun while I was losing horribly!

The more I play it more I can't fathom somebody disliking the game, it's a blast through and through.
Come play with my Twitter.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:REVIEWS: The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
« Reply #76 on: October 06, 2007, 10:47:17 PM »

Originally posted by: Maverick
Well one thing is for sure, I definitely suck at the arrow shooting mini-game.    I spent well over 1000 rupees to beat it (2000 points), but at least I had fun while I was losing horribly!

I did the same thing. That game forces you to perfect your skills. I don't think it's possible to get 2000 if you make even one mistake. Cool that you get so many ship parts from it though.

Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 07, 2007, 02:48:44 AM »

Originally posted by: IceCold

The only review I can remember that was more pointless was Deg's review of Chibi Robo DS: "It's just like the first one.
Wasn't that Custom Robo?
Yeah you're right, my mistake.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 07, 2007, 04:04:36 AM »
How come there's so many NWR'ers who have this game, yet stevey is the only one (besides me) to have posted their friend code?!?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Klapaucius

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 07, 2007, 08:07:23 AM »
Well written review  ^_^

Wind Waker is also one of my favourite games ever. I can spend hours just sailing around, exploring islands, fighting moblins, collecting things...
Twilight Princess doesn't have this replayability, I think. I can't dive back into it like I can WindW Waker. Though the Temple of Time in TP is one of my favourite temples in any Zelda game.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 07, 2007, 08:22:58 AM »
another thing, isnt the argument of being dumbed down for casuals contradicting with a supposedly difficult dungeon? that simply doesn't make any sense to me, at all.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline LuigiHann

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 07, 2007, 08:51:08 AM »

Originally posted by: mantidor
another thing, isnt the argument of being dumbed down for casuals contradicting with a supposedly difficult dungeon? that simply doesn't make any sense to me, at all.

I think they're calling that dungeon tedious, rather than challenging. Not entirely contradictory.  

Offline Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 07, 2007, 09:10:10 AM »

Originally posted by: Bloodworth

Originally posted by: Maverick

I did the same thing. That game forces you to perfect your skills. I don't think it's possible to get 2000 if you make even one mistake. Cool that you get so many ship parts from it though.

Yeah, I did get some neat ship parts from all of my trying.  Even if you do hit every target, you still won't always get 2000, you have to hit every target as fast as you can so that you get enough targets to reach the point in the first place, PLUS making sure you hit all of them.  I think that's the most trouble I've ever had with a shooting game in Zelda.

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 07, 2007, 12:33:32 PM »

Originally posted by: LuigiHann

I think they're calling that dungeon tedious, rather than challenging. Not entirely contradictory.

oh I see, it isn't that different actually, tediousness is a staple of "hardcore" gaming, just look at any turn based j-rpg to start :P. Brain training, just to name a "non-game", is in the exact opposite of the spectrum.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 07, 2007, 02:15:02 PM »

oh I see, it isn't that different actually, tediousness is a staple of "hardcore" gaming, just look at any turn based j-rpg to start :P. Brain training, just to name a "non-game", is in the exact opposite of the spectrum.

Actually tedious is not a hardcore staple, alot of the "casual" or "kid" games have tedious collecting or tedious gameplay that doesn't hold your interest (Button mashing for one), so you are quite mistaken.  So unless you are going to classify the myriad of kid games or casual games as hardcore because many can be super tedious, I believe you better rethink that statement. Also I am getting tired of hearing that the reviewers didn't like the game, he gave it a 7.5/10 that means he did like it, but like me was let down by it. I would have much rather had a brand new adventure in a brand new crafted world (or even yet another imagined hyrule) in the vain of Link to the Past, or even Link's Awakening.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 07, 2007, 03:28:40 PM »

Just like every dungeon ever in a Zelda game. Time to chuck them out

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #86 on: October 07, 2007, 03:30:21 PM »

Originally posted by: Mario

Just like every dungeon ever in a Zelda game. Time to chuck them out

I agree. I'm not a big fan of dungeons.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 07, 2007, 04:20:20 PM »
Gee.. can you imagine that? A game full of 20+ MINI-Dungeons? *DROOL*
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 07, 2007, 05:21:09 PM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix

Actually tedious is not a hardcore staple, alot of the "casual" or "kid" games have tedious collecting or tedious gameplay that doesn't hold your interest (Button mashing for one), so you are quite mistaken.

well, name examples please, I can't think of any.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 07, 2007, 06:18:02 PM »
A collecting game that was tedious but not hardcore?

. . .

POKEMON Gotta catch 'em all!

I also felt Yoshi's Story was tedious. As was Banjo Kazzoie.  

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 07, 2007, 07:02:36 PM »
Did you just say Pokemon wasn't hardcore?

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #92 on: October 07, 2007, 07:19:29 PM »
I don't think anyone would argue that tediousness is a virtue of either casual or hardcore games.  To say Japanese RPGs are tedious is a stereotype -- the really good ones have various means of keeping you interested in the battles, and therefore they avoid being tedious.  Also, RPGs in general have a magical way of turning otherwise tedious tasks into satisfying tasks by constantly rewarding your characters with experience points and new abilities.  Compare this to fighting off all the little monsters in a Zelda game, which reappear almost immediately and do not help your character to grow in any way.  That kind of stuff I find extremely tedious.  I wish Zelda games didn't have monsters out in the field; I always end up running away from them anyway because it's not worth my time to kill them.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 07, 2007, 07:21:49 PM »
Fine I'll name one right off the bat, I just played the demo, and that is Looney Tunes Acme Assault. The game is so tedious, you destroy robot after robot, there is nothing creative nor appealing about it and it was torture to finish. Drawn to Life is another, it is a bare bones platformer that was made for younger gamers, and its collecting isn't hard but it is tedious. Heck if you are playing a game you don't like or isn't at your age level, it will more than likely get tedious quite quickly, doesn't make it a hardcore game. What people are saying about Zelda: PH is that the one dungeon isn't fun and is more of a chore then anything, it isn't creative, and it drags down the rest of the game. Repetition is yet another example of soemthing that can get tedious, heck that is the trouble of most beat em up games, they just get boring.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 07, 2007, 07:23:23 PM »
Drawn to Life's last world is alright, but getting to it is oh-so-painful.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 07, 2007, 07:24:13 PM »

Originally posted by: Jonnyboy117
I don't think anyone would argue that tediousness is a virtue of either casual or hardcore games.

Tell that to Mantidor. BTW I agree 100%, tedious things are basically boring things in the game you don't find fun and have to trudge through. It can be in ANYTHING.  

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 07, 2007, 08:34:22 PM »

Tell that to Mashiro.

Wait. what? Why tell me? I just listed some casual games that had tedious qualities to them. I didn't say it belonged to one or the other.

Did you just say Pokemon wasn't hardcore?

Collecting pokemon isn't the most hardcore of things, it's tedious work. I know many people who can be hardcore with pokemon (I tried to be myself but that got old fast lol).

Offline trip1eX

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 07, 2007, 09:00:03 PM »
well i'm enjoying the game so far.  The boomerang mechanic works very well and I don't agree that Zelda vets will have a hard time with the controls.  They are pretty easy to get into.   Yes the stylus has disadvantages, but it also has advantages.  

So far a few nitpicks.  I really like WindWaker too and I miss steering the ship.  Also I miss swimming in the water and walking up onto the islands.   I guess I imagined I'd be able to do some more of that.  

I've got quite a ways to go, but so far I'd give it an 8.5 or so.  I'm starting to tire of the ZElda formula a bit so not sure it would get a 9 from me at this point.  

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 07, 2007, 09:00:23 PM »
I've said it before, but dungeons are my favourite parts of Zelda games by far. I'm not big on the whole exploring thing, unless it's a Mario game (though in those the exploring is minimal).
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 07, 2007, 10:17:31 PM »
I LOVE the dungeons in Zelda.  One of my largest complaints with Wind Waker was the large amount of side quests, and minimal amount of dungeons.  I like a good balance though, with plenty of extra stuff to do and items to get between the dungeons as well.  I wouldn't want to just run from dungeon to dungeon.