Author Topic: Wii stronger then the first Xbox ?  (Read 49928 times)

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:Wii stronger then the first Xbox ?
« Reply #200 on: February 06, 2007, 01:48:13 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
Hahahahaha no. Eternal Darkness.

True, but that was only one game. The other two "mature" projects Nintendo pursued were Twin Snakes and Geist. That's 3 in all of the GC's life.

They're already planning on having two out this year: Hammer and Disaster: DoC.

Hopefully, they'll keep at it rather than releasing a scant few mature titles.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 06, 2007, 02:20:01 PM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
They're already planning on having two out this year: Hammer and Disaster: DoC.

They'll probably get delayed. And Hammer is NOT a "mature" title at all. It's an action game for kids. Just look at the robot design... and lack of guns...

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline segagamer12

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 07, 2007, 05:51:39 AM »
no it was a commercial sucess on N64 it MADE SENSE to go to GC and it was ANNOUNCED before GC launched. It is different than what is going on now, not to mention it ISNT EVEN a mature title. It was directly targeted towards SW fans, who are also CHILDREN beleive it or not. I dont get how you can argue rogue leader as a mature title.
You can call me
THE RAT thank you very much
check out http://www.myspace.com/phatrat1982

Offline darknight06

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 07, 2007, 08:31:15 AM »
Concerning the tech in the Wii, according to an interview with the Dewy team at IGN the Wii is capable of doing normal maps and that Dewy does use them in game.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
RE: Wii stronger then the first Xbox ?
« Reply #204 on: February 07, 2007, 08:41:12 AM »
The definition of "mature" is subjective in nature.

It was directly targeted towards SW fans, who are also CHILDREN beleive it or not.

There are Star Wars fans who aren't children, believe it or not. I admit that Rogue Leader appeals primarily to Star Wars  fans and to a lesser degree shooter fans, but there's nothing about the game that suggests that it is targeted at a younger audience. A statement like "kids like Star Wars so Rogue Leader isn't a mature title" doesn't make sense. There are depictions of relatively realistic violence and death. We're not seeing spaceships zoom around, but it's not cartoon violence.

I distinctly remember the interview where Lucas says Star Wars was targeted toward kids yet Princess Leia frenches her brother (yeah, she didn't know, but still) then becomes Jabba's slave, Jango Fett (unfortunately) gets decapitated, Anakin gets dismembered and burned after slaughtering a bunch of young Jedi and so on. The adventure and heroism along with the various fantasy elements involved in Star Wars make it appealing to kids (and adults alike). That doesn't necessarily make Star Wars a kid's movie nor is everything associated to it inherently for kids. The movies are filled with images and themes that are decidedly not appropriate for children.

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 07, 2007, 08:53:22 AM »
its was still regared as appropriate for children so calling it mature is a strech no matter hwat you say. I KNOW adults liek star wars but MOST who do started out liking it as children.

and I am not saying just cuz itrs star wasr its for kids, there *are* star wasr games target towards older demograph, Rogue Leadert WASNT one of them.  
You can call me

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 07, 2007, 08:54:13 AM »
Still I didnt say SW was JUST forkids either.  
You can call me

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 07, 2007, 10:31:36 AM »

its was still regared as appropriate for children so calling it mature is a strech no matter hwat you say.

Twilight Princess is still regarded as appropriate for children and I would still call that "mature."

And you still haven't explained why Rogue Leader targets younger audiences nor have acknowledged the subjective nature of the word "mature."

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 07, 2007, 12:10:56 PM »

Originally posted by: Adrock

its was still regared as appropriate for children so calling it mature is a strech no matter hwat you say.

Twilight Princess is still regarded as appropriate for children and I would still call that "mature."

And you still haven't explained why Rogue Leader targets younger audiences nor have acknowledged the subjective nature of the word "mature."

Actually, TP is considered appropriate for Teens or older.  Under 13, parents are suggested against allowing them to play.  The actual ratings on the game are there for a reason.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 07, 2007, 01:03:36 PM »
Rogue Leader also recieved a T rating from the ESRB.

Also, I'd say Twilight Princess is just as "mature" as Ocarina of Time which was rated E by the ESRB. The initial print even had red blood, something Twilight Princess does not have. The ending is particularly less daring than both Ocarina and The Wind Waker, which has Link stabbing Ganon/Ganondorf in the forehead respectively. I don't think that's appropriate for children. I'm not debating ratings. I'm arguing the elusiveness of the word "mature."

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #210 on: February 07, 2007, 03:06:58 PM »
I agree that OoT should have been T for Teen.

As for Rogue Leader, why was it Teen? For ships exploding? Was there any actual human death shown in the game?

I ask because it has been years since I played it...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 07, 2007, 03:09:22 PM »
you *know* what is ,meant, and frankly I never called TP mature either thast ludiscius in my mind for all the reasons you just gave. mature is something that someone MATURE would have to get. We werent talking about Mature games though this entire thread has bene about M-Rated mature games, of which rogue leader WAS NOT. Scarface, Manhunt, and Godfather ARE, THAT is what was originaly being discussed and you tossed rogue leader out there. you fail. end of discussion. Agian I never said SW was JUST for kids now did I?

I said it was targeted towards kids but I may have been a little hasty in saying that I cant rememebr exactly what I was trying to say but i know that Rogue leader is in no way a MATURE title. It has depth and it has challenge but so does Super Mario Bros 3 and NONONE in thier right mind will call that MATURE. get a clue and get over it.  
You can call me

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #212 on: February 07, 2007, 03:11:58 PM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
As for Rogue Leader, why was it Teen? For ships exploding? Was there any actual human death shown in the game?

Yes, you can gun down foot based troops in the Rogue Squadron series (had to do so in the first to get some medals).
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 07, 2007, 03:27:20 PM »
This isn't an argument about Star Wars (sorry if I pointed Rogue Leader out as being such and derailing it).

I vaguely recall a mission where you shoot storm troopers on foot. Was that the case? EDIT: Ah, thanks.

Even so, I wasn't arguing the rating for the game so much as the edge the game gave the console. A FPS vs. a flight sim shooter stand pretty far apart, as far as genres go. The FPS genre has always been about violence: you can't have a game which involves shooting people in the face and not have it based around violence.

Plus, Red Steel aspired to be a dark and gritty game, one which told a story of the Japanese criminal underworld. It wanted to be seen as dark and mature.

Rogue Leader just can't be mature and "cool" in that same way. Like I said, every teenager I talked to who had played Red Steel loved it for the cool factor. Considering how badly the GC did by comparison, having that "cool" factor right out of the gate is definitely a plus for the Wii. When Red Steel was the first game announced for the then "Revolution", I was immensely glad to see it because it meant that the first impression the gaming world would have of the Rev was of a dark and gritty crime-based FPS and that this image might carry the Rev further along into the mature limelight.

I can't be certain that this was the case (despite that Red Steel sold extremely well), but I can say that it certainly didn't hurt to offer up a mature franchise that would go on to sell well on a Nintendo platform as proof to other devs that such a thing can indeed happen.  

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 07, 2007, 03:39:43 PM »
not to mention that even after Deadly Allience, Eternal Darkness, RE0-4, the GC still maintianed a kiddee perception and so far the Wii doesnt have that. Not at all from who I have talked to and RS was a big part of that. It was the first non Wii Sports game I showed people.

Anyways thinking of rogue squadron makes me return to craves original topic and thinking bakc to one of the best looking GC games and seeing it was a launch title and it looks better than most, not all but most, of what Wii has I can sorta see why people are disapointed in it graphically.  
You can call me

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 07, 2007, 03:53:05 PM »
Well, Factor 5 was, like Rare, a development house that really knew how to push graphical hardware. In that sense, they were both really unique studios. Nintendo has neither of those companies right now, so all of a sudden you're without the exlusive second/third party game from a studio that concentrates on graphics, and it feels weird even though both Rare's and Factor 5's games were anomalies.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 07, 2007, 08:15:59 PM »
I dont know about you but I though MK DA and SC2 had pretty good gfx, and BDZ:B was enhanced for GC so its not like all devs were being lazy. There were games that showed the GC had muscle they were just few and far between.

You can call me

Offline Crave

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 08, 2007, 03:14:07 PM »
IGN: Resident Evil 4 was a beautiful GCN title. Rogue Squadron was doing things at launch that developers still haven't done on Wii. Why do you think that is? Are studios getting sloppy on Wii?

Developer: Julian: Yes. I'm so disappointed knowing exactly what the Wii can do -- and I still think nobody knows it better than we (no pun intended) [laughs]. I really have to say, boy, am I disappointed! They all have finally figured out, five years into the hardware's life cycle, how to do at least basic shaders and a rim light, but that's what everybody does. But I still don't see enough bump and normal-mapping, if any. I still don't see enough post effects, although you would have insane fill-rates with Wii. I don't see any of that. I was digging out Rebel Strike the other day and was looking at it, and we had some people who were visiting ask, "Why isn't anybody else doing this on Wii?" And I am at a loss. I really am.

Just goes to show, we are not the only ones noticing. And they brought up some of our points from this thread..interesting my dear Watson.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 08, 2007, 03:22:52 PM »

Originally posted by: Crave
IGN: Resident Evil 4 was a beautiful GCN title. Rogue Squadron was doing things at launch that developers still haven't done on Wii. Why do you think that is? Are studios getting sloppy on Wii?

Developer: Julian: Yes. I'm so disappointed knowing exactly what the Wii can do -- and I still think nobody knows it better than we (no pun intended) [laughs]. I really have to say, boy, am I disappointed! They all have finally figured out, five years into the hardware's life cycle, how to do at least basic shaders and a rim light, but that's what everybody does. But I still don't see enough bump and normal-mapping, if any. I still don't see enough post effects, although you would have insane fill-rates with Wii. I don't see any of that. I was digging out Rebel Strike the other day and was looking at it, and we had some people who were visiting ask, "Why isn't anybody else doing this on Wii?" And I am at a loss. I really am.

Just goes to show, we are not the only ones noticing. And they brought up some of our points from this thread..interesting my dear Watson.

ARGH! ARGH! AAARRRGGGHHH! KAIRON SMASH!!!

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline Blue Plant

• View Profile
    • My site.
« Reply #219 on: February 08, 2007, 03:44:22 PM »
Big fat ego.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #220 on: February 08, 2007, 04:31:08 PM »
Twilight Princess still had some brutal scenes, even with the absence of blood. I would mention them here, but those would be considered spoilers.

As for that quote, let me tell you this...If they are truly worried that third party developers are being sloppy when making Wii games why aren't THEY making a difference by making a game that's both graphically astounding and with engaging gameplay?

I'm sure most of the games that are working on are for the PS3 and XBOX 360 and actually have little interest on the console.

Not to mention that he is talking about GRAPHICS, not gameplay. Factor 5 are pretty much a bunch of graphics whores since they DID make some of the most graphically beautiful games in the N64 and GC era. Of course they would be concerned that developers are not making games with great graphics.

Until the day they actually announce plans for the system, anything they say will be full of hypocrisy and ignorance.    
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 08, 2007, 05:26:33 PM »
Even thoguh Factor 5 isn't with Nintendo any more, I still have a lot of respect for them as they are the best at what they do. They maybe graphics whores, but they know their sh!t. They have proven time and again that they can whip it out called upon. Yes they did fubar Rebel Strike, but if it wasn't on the ground, it was GOOD.

Rare on the other hand is a different story as they have fallen from grace. Their N64 games are so good that I am still playing them today. Having played their newer games I wonder what happened. A real shame.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 08, 2007, 06:14:06 PM »
ABSOLUTELY! The Factor Five games on genesis were some of the most amazing visuals that system could handle, hell they pushed it more than Sega ever tried to.

Just Checkout the turrican games, the first wasnt as impressive as the second but when you see all the little things they did with it you gain a lot of respect for that game. Tehres alot going on all at once and the game doesnt slow down at all. Mega Turrican was esily on par with Super Turrican, maybe even better I didnt play Super that much, but I know they really psuhed the Genny harder than any one else I can think of off the top of my head.

Thie N64 games looked top notch also. I totaly agree with this Factor 5 defiantley tries to push gfx, but you knwo what tehy aslo get teh gameplay down too for the most part. anywyas thast all I had to add I must defend them every chance I get Mega Turrican is still my alltime favorite Genesis game by far.  
You can call me

Offline Darc Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 09, 2007, 01:13:59 AM »

Originally posted by: Blue Plant
Big fat ego.

Ego? He's telling the truth. Factor 5 did things with the GC that no one else did and the fact that developers can't equal what they've done on the GC with the Wii points to their laziness. Ubisoft I'm looking at you!!
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 09, 2007, 01:29:29 AM »
Red Steel is technically one of the best looking Wii games so look somewhere else.