Author Topic: Looks like Capcom still hates money.  (Read 58952 times)

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Looks like Capcom still hates money.
« Reply #125 on: February 09, 2007, 04:31:56 PM »

EDIT: Stupid smilies in Resident Evil and Viewtiful Joe's titles when abbreviated... >_<
Click "Do not parse emoticons" under "Reply" next time.

Yeah, looking at that list, Capcom really doesn't care about handhelds.. though the DS success hopefully changes this.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Mikintosh

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE:Looks like Capcom still hates money.
« Reply #126 on: February 09, 2007, 09:15:38 PM »
Darkstalkers Chronicles is a port of a Dreamcast game, apparently. I liked it.

I'm glad for Capcom's output on both systems (especially since I just got a PSP and like my retro games on the go while I'm at college), but I kinda view the company itself as a soulless zombie of its old self. How many creators of its series have they fired? The guy from Street Fighter, the guy from Resident Evil, Clover Studios...I mean, they even sold the Street Fighter name to Capcom USA they had so little faith in their own franchise! Very sad when I heard that.

Financially, I'm sure they're set, but creatively, they're riding on Mega Man and Resident Evil, it looks like.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Amodaus1

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 10, 2007, 01:52:23 PM »

Originally posted by: Mikintosh
Darkstalkers Chronicles is a port of a Dreamcast game, apparently. I liked it.

I'm glad for Capcom's output on both systems (especially since I just got a PSP and like my retro games on the go while I'm at college), but I kinda view the company itself as a soulless zombie of its old self. How many creators of its series have they fired? The guy from Street Fighter, the guy from Resident Evil, Clover Studios...I mean, they even sold the Street Fighter name to Capcom USA they had so little faith in their own franchise! Very sad when I heard that.

Financially, I'm sure they're set, but creatively, they're riding on Mega Man and Resident Evil, it looks like.

Don't forget the creator of Devil May Cry was also let go. I don't even know if the original creator of megaman is with them. Most of their series don't have their original creators working on them.

On a plus note, everyone who enjoyed final fight 3 on the snes should play GOD HAND. First 3d brawler that doesn't suck in my opinion. If your wondering why the camera is RE4 behind the shoulder style, its cause the RE creator basically designed this game. It's good fun though.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 10, 2007, 02:58:15 PM »
As far as I know, the creator of Devil May Cry and Viewtiful Joe, Hideki Kamiya, is still with Capcom. And Keiji Inafune, creator of Mega Man, also created Lost Planet for 360 and it currently working on a Wii game.

The only one who has really left Capcom is Yoshiki Okamoto (Street Fighter). Even Shinji Mikami is still around... guess he didn't cut off his head after RE4 was released on PS2.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 10, 2007, 04:14:13 PM »
It's the talent that matters.

Once devs are stripped of their talent, they become shells.

Just look at modern day Rare compared to what it used to be...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 10, 2007, 06:35:52 PM »
And? They don't seem any worse than before.

Offline Mikintosh

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 10, 2007, 11:06:24 PM »
I kind of agree, Kameo et al. seemed a natural progression of the Donkey Kong 64s and Banjo Kazooies they were making in the 90s. I think they lost a lot of cred when all the Goldeneye people left though; made it look like they were only in the business of fluffy platformers...which probably isn't a stretch.

Capcom's worse because they're still using the same franchises as before, but despite what Adrock says, they don't seem to have the same spirit behind them as they did when they started.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 11, 2007, 03:15:27 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
And? They don't seem any worse than before.

Play their SNES/N64 games, then try a game like PD0 and Grabbed by the Ghoulies or the Conker remake.

I used to be a pretty big Rare fan, but after playing their latest offerings, I can safely say that the ingenuity which made their games great is long gone.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 11, 2007, 03:31:29 AM »
I'm not talking about Rare. You said that like Capcom has become worse, I'd say they have stayed on the same level. Really, how are their recent games worse than their older ones? Capcom has been milking franchises to death on the NES already, that's not some new low for them.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 11, 2007, 03:45:55 AM »

You said that like Capcom has become worse,

Actually, I just meant in general, on the subject of developers and the talent who works there.

I don't play many of Capcom's franchises anyway so I wouldn't be in a position to judge if they've become better or worse.

Though, RE4 was a dramatic improvement over all former RE games.

Offline Mikintosh

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 11, 2007, 04:23:36 AM »
And Phoenix Wright was fantastic. I'm not neccessary saying the quality itself has gone down, but I think the constant milking (Nintendo did not make 8 Zelda games, then 8 Zelda X games, etc.) has created the perception that that is so. Capcom was known for being innovative 15 years ago, but now they can't seem to be bothered to introduce a new franchise more than once every 4-5 years or so, and then beat everybody over the head with it (see the sorry state of Viewtiful Joe, only 3 years old). They don't take themselves as seriously as Nintendo does, and it shows.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 11, 2007, 05:16:56 AM »
Also, they dropped Okami's development house like a sack of potatoes, despite the fact that MANY people thought it was GOTY material.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 11, 2007, 06:20:45 AM »
Capcom was known for being innovative 15 years ago, but now they can't seem to be bothered to introduce a new franchise more than once every 4-5 years or so

Um, do you even look at the games Capcom makes? They make loads of new "franchises" (well, universes because it's not a franchise if it's only one game) every year in the hope that one gets big. Last gen alone saw Viewtiful Joe, Killer 7, P.N.03, Gotcha Force, Okami, Devil May Cry, Monster Hunter, God Hand, Onimusha, Steel Battalion, Nano Breaker, Chaos Legion, Darkwatch, Crimson Tears and a few more. How many new "franchises" did Nintendo create in the same time? Sure, not all of these were good but at least they're trying.

Offline Mikintosh

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 11, 2007, 07:35:49 AM »

Capcom was known for being innovative 15 years ago, but now they can't seem to be bothered to introduce a new franchise more than once every 4-5 years or so

Um, do you even look at the games Capcom makes? They make loads of new "franchises" (well, universes because it's not a franchise if it's only one game) every year in the hope that one gets big. Last gen alone saw Viewtiful Joe, Killer 7, P.N.03, Gotcha Force, Okami, Devil May Cry, Monster Hunter, God Hand, Onimusha, Steel Battalion, Nano Breaker, Chaos Legion, Darkwatch, Crimson Tears and a few more. How many new "franchises" did Nintendo create in the same time? Sure, not all of these were good but at least they're trying.

Well, Nano Breaker was Konami, but anyway how many of these got sequels? Since, in the gaming context, sequels usually represent an attempt to improve on the original game as opposed to simply cashing in on the first like movie sequels (not that this doesn't happen a lot with games), the fact that only Viewtiful Joe, Killer 7 (kinda), Onimusha and Steel Batallion got sequels shows that they were simpy throwing ideas out there that audience weren't connecting to. Is anyone really going to put Final Fight and Gotcha Force in the same category?

Game studios are required to turn out new product regularly to stay afloat; the fact that Capcom still does so isn't impressive. It's just disappointing that it's wasting much of its resources turning out games that they have no intention of supporting or improving while ignoring a large back catalogue that they could easily draw from for new games. Seriously, a Soul Calibur-quality Street Fighter IV would demonstrate that they take their position in the minds of their audience seriously. P.N.03 and Gotcha Force are not what Capcom should be, they're what Capcom is like these days, and it's sad.

This post was much too long.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 11, 2007, 07:48:50 AM »
Wait, Killer7 had a sequel?

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #141 on: February 11, 2007, 08:19:26 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
Wait, Killer7 had a sequel?

If you consider "No more heroes" a sequel...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 11, 2007, 08:29:34 AM »
Ah...

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #143 on: February 11, 2007, 08:36:49 AM »
I was mostly kidding, since some people believe that No More Heroes could be an in spirit sequel to Killer 7. K7 NEVER had a direct sequel.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 11, 2007, 08:58:44 AM »
Well, Nano Breaker was Konami, but anyway how many of these got sequels?

Didn't you just complain that they are making too many sequels?

Offline Mikintosh

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 11, 2007, 11:06:45 AM »

Maybe I should have said "were objectively good enough to get sequels?"

Hmmm....*backtracks*...maybe I should substantial sequels. The Zelda series built on itself with each game, as did the Mario series; Mega Man was basically the same game with different maps and powers. Resident Evil did have an ongoing story, but the gameplay itself remained pretty much the same until RE4, which is so far an anomaly. Same with the Street Fighter franchise; over 15 years and every pretty much every game they made for  the series was based on Street Fighter II or Street Fighter Alpha, with minor changes/additions. Most of the games listed didn't have enough to substance for Capcom to retool as sequels.

What I'm getting at is that Capcom may be prolific, but is what they're putting out going to be remembered in 10 years?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 11, 2007, 06:22:50 PM »
Good enough is one thing, sell well enough is another. Beyond Good & Evil (not Capcom but an example) didn't sell enough to get a sequel yet many people who played it say it's a very good game. Okami will probably not get a sequel yet was considered by many to be almost as good as Zelda. Meanwhile crappy movie tie-ins get two or three sequels. Sequels aren't a measure of greatness, they are a measure of sales.

What I'm getting at is that Capcom may be prolific, but is what they're putting out going to be remembered in 10 years?

Not much of it but few games get remembered that long. How many games were there during the Atari 2600, NES and SNES days? How many of them are still remembered?

Offline segagamer12

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 12, 2007, 09:27:40 AM »
Capcom doesnt have a reason to change anything about SF it was perfect when it was made and it continues to be the staple for fighting games. ALL fighting games are built off what SF did. Thats a weak weak weak argument. All Mario games are bsaically the same just new levels and new pwerups too, that doesnt make them any less special or magical.

Mega Man X and regualr MM series ahd plenty if similarities and plenty of differences to distinguish the two. They arent all the same game with new levels. They add a lot each game they imrpove alot, the increase the challenge they make new bosses they doa lot to maek the games bigger and better, at the same time they have to stay within the formula to an extent otherwise its a whole different series.

Zelda is basically the same game everytime, it gets bigger and better and more impressive but its basically they same game every time you play it. The story changes just enough but its not something anyone can deny, especially when people have complained about it. Not that I do  I LOVE Zelda as much as Mega Man, but I wont put down one over the other for not changing enough when they both are quit guily.

Sometimes a game is great enough all you have to change is the bg and powerups to keep people playinh. SOmetimes you dont have to change anything just add more story.

So what if Re plays all the same? whats the point? Its a fun game for people who like it, it sells really well and it has plenty of squels and has two prettyg ood movies based on it as well.

I dont think Capcom is the best game developer out there by no means, but they are ONE of the best and they sure as hell make better games than some people give them credit for. A games sales are never a measure of how good it is sales can be affected by a number of factors, sometimes things noone can control. What makes a game great is the expeirence. If you play it and you had a pleasant or memorable experienc that means it was a great game.

To be fair Capcom actually takes more risks than most other game devs and they push things more than most other devs also. The Capcom five maybe didnt go over to well, but the games that arouse from it were mostly pretty good, RE4 is always going to be rememebred as one of hte GC BEST games, probably the best 3rd aprty game even to some people.

I dont blame any compnay for covering thier bases either, they all want to make money after all and the best way to do that is to make your products available to as many people as possible. I think the real reason so many people complain isnt because Cacpom isnt making great games but its because they aren't sticking to Nintendo only, even though out of all 3rd parties Capcom has stood closer to NIntendo than any other defv out there and I dont blame them for making descisions that would make them money because I respect Capcom and actualy play a *lot* of thier games, hell for the most part if it has thier label on it I know I will at least try it cuz I havent been let down all that often when it comes to them.

its the same old argument Nintendo fans hate a series or company when they dotn make games for Nintendo or when they do things that are in thier best interest and not Nintendos, but when that game series or company backs Nintendo 100% then Nintendo fans back that game series or company.

I can go through and dig up all the old posts if it was worth it to me but i wont bother. The fact is most, not all but most, Nintendo fans will rag on anything if it isnt made by Nintendo or benefit Nintendo.  If RE 4 HAD stayed Exlcusive noone would say adamn thing about Capcom I think a lot of people were so hurt by that they wotn forgive or forget. Thats  shame too because yoru gonna miss out on some great games when you think like that. Its funny people bash Dead Rising cuz its a 360 game But if it had been a Wii exclusive it would get all kinds of praise.  Espoecialy because it is a fun game and deserves the praise it gets anyways but it dont matter to nintenod loyalists cuz it wasnt made on or by or for nintendo.  
You can call me
THE RAT thank you very much
check out http://www.myspace.com/phatrat1982

Offline Darc Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 12, 2007, 12:25:16 PM »

Originally posted by: Mikintosh

Maybe I should have said "were objectively good enough to get sequels?"

Hmmm....*backtracks*...maybe I should substantial sequels. The Zelda series built on itself with each game, as did the Mario series; Mega Man was basically the same game with different maps and powers. Resident Evil did have an ongoing story, but the gameplay itself remained pretty much the same until RE4, which is so far an anomaly. Same with the Street Fighter franchise; over 15 years and every pretty much every game they made for  the series was based on Street Fighter II or Street Fighter Alpha, with minor changes/additions. Most of the games listed didn't have enough to substance for Capcom to retool as sequels.

You mustn't have put any sort of time in the Street Fighter series. You could have. There is a divide amongst SF fans over the "minor" differences in the game play of the different series. I mean just taking the SFZ/SFA part of the series. The gameplay differences between SFA1, SFA2, and SFA3 make jumping in between those sequels with the same play style not possible. Especially which incorporated various SF isms with in its gameplay. Even so, those ism didnt play exactly like the games that inspired them. Then SF3, even with out the parry system plays nothing like the SFA series. It harkened back to the spirit of SF2, kind of like FFIX channeled the SNES FF games, but even then it doesn't play like SF2.
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline denjet78

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 12, 2007, 01:17:25 PM »

Originally posted by: segagamer12
its the same old argument Nintendo fans hate a series or company when they dotn make games for Nintendo or when they do things that are in thier best interest and not Nintendos, but when that game series or company backs Nintendo 100% then Nintendo fans back that game series or company.

I can go through and dig up all the old posts if it was worth it to me but i wont bother. The fact is most, not all but most, Nintendo fans will rag on anything if it isnt made by Nintendo or benefit Nintendo.  If RE 4 HAD stayed Exlcusive noone would say adamn thing about Capcom I think a lot of people were so hurt by that they wotn forgive or forget. Thats  shame too because yoru gonna miss out on some great games when you think like that. Its funny people bash Dead Rising cuz its a 360 game But if it had been a Wii exclusive it would get all kinds of praise.  Espoecialy because it is a fun game and deserves the praise it gets anyways but it dont matter to nintenod loyalists cuz it wasnt made on or by or for nintendo.

You'll find the same situation with Sony and MS gamers. Or haven't you heard all the Nintendo hate from them? Mario sucks. Zelda is just rehashed over and over again. All Nintendo systems are for kids. It's part of the human condition and Nintendo gamers are not immune to that.

But as for whether RE4 remaining exclusive to GC or not would have made me feel better about Capcom? Not in the slightest. They're still not showing any real support for the Wii. All we have announced so far is Umbrella Chronicles, which will probably turn out to be a really bad spin-off, while the real next title in the franchise is going to both the PS3 and 360. They've even announced DMC4 for the PS3 as well as a number of exclusive 360 titles. Where's the REAL Wii support? They say wait, it's coming, but in the mean time watch them announce all of their big name franchises for everyone else. All that will be left for Wii will be the crumbs.

If they're really interested in bringing new IPs to the Wii then not only do I expect to see these new games soon, but I also expect them to put some EFFORT into them. As I've already stated before, if UC turns out to be Gun Survivor will Wii pointer functionality, I think we can all already see exactly the kind of support Capcom really has in store for the Wii.