Author Topic: Nintendo's Tipping Point?  (Read 17492 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo's Tipping Point?
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2011, 04:41:03 AM »
They don't include certain obvious things so that you'll want them later, its a control suspense scenario.

every generation its like this since the 64 generation. They are OWNING the masses psychologically.

Think of all the little things you wanted, but you didnt get the last generation.

Nintendo was kiddy(even though there were shooting games on the console), so you got all of the Survival horror games on gamecube.
Nintendo didnt have online, so you got better online on Wii(not perfect)
Nintendo gave us friend codes which was annoying, supposedly theres a big online improvement
Nintendo focused on casual gamers with the Wii, Core gamers with Wii U
Nintendo has no Metroid for years, you get metroid prime trilogy
Nintendo teases awesome realistic zelda, you get cel shaded zelda, then when you get realistic, what do you want...more cartoon zelda
Nintendo has no Kid Icarus for years, you get Kid Icarus Rising.

Nintendo knows how to give you a taste of things, just so you'll want it more. At the same time they offer stuff the competitors doesn't have.

NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2011, 05:10:06 AM »
I think a lot of people who are upset about this are upset on principle because they can't buy these games, not because they actually wanted to. It's understandable, if a little childish. I wouldn't be surprised if NOA is thinking the same thing. Many of these people would not have bought a single one of these games, let alone all 3. Had these games been on the release schedule all along, I'm convinced that many of the same people who are sending letters to NOA and trolling their Facebook page would be complaining that The Last Story, Xenoblade, and Pandora's Tower were the ONLY games coming out before Skyward Sword and not something else like Pikmin 3.

Sadly this is actually quite true.  Back in 2008 when everyone thought Disaster would be getting a North American release, nobody cared about the game at all.  Every time a new trailer for the game was shown, most comments were about how the graphics were poor and the gameplay didn't look to hot.  When the game was announced for a late October release in Europe, people thought it'd get a similar release in America and then talked about how terrible the Wii's 2008 fall lineup was and how Disaster and Wii Music both looked like crap Nintendo should be embarrassed to release.

It wasn't until IGN revealed in a podcast that Disaster wasn't coming to America because Reggie thought it was poor quality and wouldn't sell, that suddenly, now people actually got interested in the game and started saying they wanted to play it.  Within a day the game went from crap Nintendo should be ashamed to release, to "OMG I must play it now".  The same thing also happened with Another Code for the Wii, when it was first revealed at the end of 2008, the reaction was pretty non existence expect for a hand full of people.  But when it was revealed that NOA wasn't going to bring it over, suddenly all these people who had never shown any interest in the game at all, were coming forward to say how they're outraged.

Hell, even back in 2006 when NOA release Odama, Chibi-Robo! Baten Kaitos Origins has the final games on the Gamecube before Twilight Princess came out, all three of these games were largely ignored while everyone b!tched about when was Twilight Princess finally coming out.  What makes it even worse is the fact that the Gamecube version of Twilight Princess would go on to sell over a million copies in North America alone, while Odama, Chibi-Robo! and Baten Kaitos Origins combined couldn't even sell 100k.  And Twilight Princess came out later then all of them as well which showed that during 2006, there was over 1 million people that still had a Gamecube in there homes, and yet over 95% of them didn't buy any new titles until Twilight Princess at the very end of the year.  Even though in the case of Chibi-Robo! and Baten Kaitos Origins, these were both great games that any core Nintendo fan should have bought, they ignored them and only bought Zelda at the very end of the year.

Of course I still think it's very stupid for NOA to not release Xenoblade and The Last Story since both could have success here in North America because they play more similar to currently popular western style RPG's then the traditional JRPG that are losing steam.  With the right advertising, both games could easily put up good numbers in America.  But because of what happened with the Gamecube in 2006, as well as the lack of love people had with Disaster and Another Code until they found out they weren't coming over, not hard to see why Reggie thinks the way he does about not releasing certain games.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2011, 07:46:06 AM »
Reminds me, when was the last time they did anything serious for their "casual" audience?

Wii Play Motion.

I don't really think that counts, after all it's just a small pack-in with a controller and not a major game.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2011, 09:39:09 AM »
Reminds me, when was the last time they did anything serious for their "casual" audience?

Wii Play Motion.

I don't really think that counts, after all it's just a small pack-in with a controller and not a major game.

Wii Play is one of the biggest-selling games on the system. It sold. People kind of enjoyed it.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2011, 10:23:31 PM »
More like they enjoyed the controller AMIRITE???
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2011, 11:55:50 PM »
More like they enjoyed the controller AMIRITE???

I like the tanks game. That is fun.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2011, 12:36:28 AM »
PREDICTION: I don't think Reggie is going to the last the life cycle of the Wii-U

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2011, 01:00:53 AM »
After the massive success of the Wii in North America, it would pretty much require the Wii U to tank for Reggie to get fired.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Bboy

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2011, 03:55:00 AM »
I realize the talkback has completely just become a debate/argument thread at this point, but I just wanted to say, awesome article Lindy, easily the most intelligent and well thought out piece of writing I've read about video games in a long time, let alone about this whole Operation Rainfall fiasco.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2011, 05:31:02 AM »
If Reggie goes, who will replace him?
is your sanity...

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2011, 06:21:54 AM »
Great article!

It's difficult to say how much impact the fallout from Operation Rainfall will have.  Most of the Wii audience will never hear a thing about these games or Operation Rainfall; however, I believe the impact of this goes beyond people who would actually purchase the games.  I think the real impact is the larger audiences' perception of Nintendo's "talk to the hand" response.  Even if I weren't interested in 2 of the 3 games being requested by OP's letter-writing campaign, this reaction from them has further cooled my own desire to purchase a new console.    Nintendo's response on twitter and facebook was better than remaining completely silent, but their wording and timing of their actual response had a lot of room for improvement.  Their first response, indicating that an announcement on the situation was forthcoming, gave tentative false hope, and their second was an equivalent slap in the face.  (I think that they would have been better off just delivering the second statement without the first.)

The effect of this may be negligible, but we won't know for another year or two.  The once-blue ocean is getting more red by the month, and it's difficult to tell from Nintendo's E3 messaging whether they plan to truly continue that strategy.  Either way, Lindy is correct in asserting that Nintendo should be very concerned about their branding right now. 

This is the first generation that I can remember where Nintendo has been repeatedly called out (in certain instances) for lazy development e.g. Animal Crossing,  little to no effort advertising games, poor online store structure, lazy or no online in many of their titles, no support for their peripherals like Wii Motion +, etc.   I've even got an impression from recent podcasts that the 3DS is really built all that well (for example, see episode 59 of the Newscast.)  Rumors about the Wii U seem to indicate that Nintendo still plans to take the path of least resistance when it comes to online development.   My own perception of Nintendo has changed dramatically since the Wii was released in 2006, and I don't know if I'm willing to fork out premium launch price for the 3DS or the Wii U at this point.  I'm thinking to take a "wait and see" approach.

Lastly, it's a little silly to assert that any release of these games of any sort would automatically result in a loss of money.  Atlus makes this sort of niche market work for them; so, again, why can't Nintendo just either emulate that style of marketing for games like this or hire a smaller company like Xseed or Atlus to take care of it?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 06:39:57 AM by Sundoulos »
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2011, 10:03:10 AM »
I think the effect will be reaching because Operation Rainfall has made it to Mainstream news and International Mainstream News.  That's not good press for Nintendo.  Especially combined with the Mainstream confusion over WiiU being a controller for Wii, why we all know its a new Console.  That's not good word to a population that rarely gets/cares for news from this segment of the economy.  Their was more Apple Coverage then E3 on the main outlets that week.  Just a mentions like you would Comicon and like.

To summarize:  If this would have stayed to are hobby Niche then the far reaching effects wouldn't really be that far but, since it bled to the Mainstream I think that current is spreading its effects a little further then it would naturally go.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2011, 01:35:30 AM »
The problem I see with the comparison is that people who really want this game can and will get it.

Importing and soft-modding are incredibly easy with the Wii so the hardcore people who want every Nintendo game will get these two in English.

When someone like myself complains about it not coming to NoA it is basically complaining about convernience and the desire to get more people to play the game.