Author Topic: Something important to know about the Revolution  (Read 94123 times)

Offline Koopa Troopa

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Something important to know about the Revolution
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2005, 08:40:12 AM »

Here's a hint: it's not cartridges. Oh crap I said too much!

=( Maybe next-next generation.
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
RE:Something important to know about the Revolution
« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2005, 10:34:55 AM »

"Really, they have to be careful here. If HD-dvd becomes the standard, what will they do then?"

What difference does it make? Game consoles are proprietary. Movie playback may be a problem but console games are unaffected by standards.

Well, it is a problem because all those DVD owners,who bought the PS2 for the DVD player, will want to upgrade.  And if Blu Ray is the next standard, and Nintendo goes HDDVD, I think it's  a huge hit on sales.   The PS3 will sell huge out the gate just for Blu ray.(assuming the Xenon and Revolution go Hddvd an it turns out to not be the standard.)  Really, all these dvd players out in the market will be upgraded, and I think having the right format is absolutely necassary.  
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Savior

• I want one too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2005, 01:28:57 PM »
Microsoft selling early is of no consequence... Im expecting a Dreamcast like flop in 06 for them.... thats why I want Nintendo to release closer to Sony.... Sony dominates in all 3 markets. Microsoft has done great in USA but bad in the others.... and its mostly do to Halo 2. to me Sony is still the number 1 target
The Savior Returns Late 2005

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2005, 01:39:52 PM »
Here comes the devil's advocate to ruin the day...

Microsoft isn't stupid. What if they do the smart thing? What if they hold off Halo 3 until the Xbox 2?

I can see the whole PS2 situation happening again... for Microsoft this time.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 19, 2005, 02:25:04 PM »
My prediction is that Microsoft will launch Xbox 2 with a few mediocre games and  Perfect Dark 2 or Halo 3 (or any gorgeous FPS with online play)

if they dont, however, then they are a bunch of  eFing inbred morons
I'll shut up now...

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 19, 2005, 03:19:17 PM »
Inbreeding's effect on intelligence is actually almost negligible.

Sorry, forgot to turn off devil's advocate mode.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 19, 2005, 09:09:47 PM »
I don't suppose it's possible to combine blue-ray and hd-dvd so it plays both formats?  

Offline Noble~Feather

• DS Sp@Mm3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 20, 2005, 12:41:42 AM »

Originally posted by: PaLaDiN
Here comes the devil's advocate to ruin the day...

Microsoft isn't stupid. What if they do the smart thing? What if they hold off Halo 3 until the Xbox 2?

I can see the whole PS2 situation happening again... for Microsoft this time.

No where near mate.

Shorty McNostril: That would be dumb.
This message has been approved by Noble Feather.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 20, 2005, 04:42:44 AM »
Xenon vs PS3: I think the system could pull out into first, but it definitely won't dominate the way PS2 did, for the exact reason Ian gave: it's just not popular in Japan.  Unless Microsoft buys SquareEnix or the bottom falls completely out of the Japanese market, PS3 will at least compete head-to-head with Xenon, if not beat it completely.

HD-DVD vs BluRay: I don't care, and I don't think it will make a difference as long as Nintendo doesn't choose a proprietary format that's more expensive or smaller.  Some are talking about IF one of these becomes the Hollywood standard.  The thing is, DVDs WERE the new standard by the time the PS2 came out.  I personally doubt that the general public will want to move to a new format for at least two years, so it probably won't make a difference until people have already formed opinions about the consoles based on what really matters: games.  Nintendo probably won't include movie playback either way, so it really doesn't matter in the end.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 20, 2005, 05:01:14 AM »
"I personally doubt that the general public will want to move to a new format for at least two years, so it probably won't make a difference until people have already formed opinions about the consoles based on what really matters: games. Nintendo probably won't include movie playback either way, so it really doesn't matter in the end."
I agree that the public isn't going to go out and immediately buy BluRay or HD-DVD, especially since any machine that runs them is backward compatible with regular DVDs.  I think Nintendo if they are using either BluRay or HD-DVD should just go ahead and give consumers movie playback.  I mean why not if the game and movie formats are the same?
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 20, 2005, 07:15:20 AM »
Because it's more expensive?  I already have 4 things I could use as a DVD player, and I don't want to spend extra to get another one... -_-
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline odifiend

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 20, 2005, 08:56:35 AM »
The gamecube was one thing but if the Revolution is already using HD-DVD or BluRay as its media format, the added expense will be negligible or nonexistant.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Savior

• I want one too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 20, 2005, 09:07:18 AM »

movie playback.

I think Movie Playback is a given judging from some Iwata  comments.... while not making it a set top box, giving consumers the option is a good buisness investment
The Savior Returns Late 2005

Offline matt oz

• APPLES!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2005, 09:27:01 AM »
I think the Revolution needs to have movie playback, regardless of whether or not it makes the system more expensive.
As someone else on this topic already stated, if a general consumer is looking at two systems, and the price difference is let's say $100, they will pick the system with movie playback because it does something else.

Even though I have a DVD player in my computer, and one at home on the main TV, when I'm home, I use my PS2 as a DVD player, because it's right there in my room.  It's one added feature that makes me like the system that much more.  Did I buy it just for the DVD playback?  No.  But it certainly makes the purchase more worthwhile for me, because it does something that my Gamecube can't.

Anyway, to conclude my rant, movie playback is a must for the Revolution.  Even if Blu-ray or HD-DVD aren't even being used yet in 2006, the ability to play movies on them must be built into the system.  It'll make it just that much better.
Wii Code:  7894 - 4898 - 7716 - 3649

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2005, 11:39:19 AM »
If the Revolution supposedly hooks up to a computer monitor, wouldn't the inclusion of movie playback introduce something previously unavailable?  I don't know about you, but I don't have a HD-DVD or BluRay drive in my PC.  And there are people who have computers, but no tvs (college students, for one).  I'm sure they'd appreciate the inclusion.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2005, 01:31:03 PM »

Anyway, to conclude my rant, movie playback is a must for the Revolution. Even if Blu-ray or HD-DVD aren't even being used yet in 2006, the ability to play movies on them must be built into the system. It'll make it just that much better.

HD-Dvd announced the first releases(about 90 movies) which begin being released this year.  I'm sure Blu Ray will follow suit.

The number one reason I want movie playback is people like myself.  I want to upgrade to either BluRay or HDdvd in a year or two.(hopefully it's Hd because the players are backwards compatible with standard DVD.)  To me it adds more incentive for me.  I want a HDdvd player, and I want the new Nintendo.  It would be nice to have both, especially if it's the standard.  If it's not, then it's a moot point.

"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2005, 09:43:06 PM »
It's possible to build a dual-format BRD that looks like a DVD to a DVD player, Toshiba is making those.

Offline Jusic

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2005, 02:59:42 AM »
Both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray players can both read DVDs and CD. Blu-Ray disc don’t need cartridge to protect it any more, and that was the only thing stopping it from being backwards compatible.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2005, 05:16:13 AM »
Though the cartridge would've been nice. I'm sick of jewel cases breaking and CDs needing protection when you try to bring them somewhere. I could throw a 3.5" disc in my pocket and walk off, not so with CDs.

Offline Noble~Feather

• DS Sp@Mm3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2005, 06:00:43 PM »
Blu-Ray should definitely be the new standard. Sure, it's expensive, but

Blu-Ray >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> HD DVD  
This message has been approved by Noble Feather.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 24, 2005, 01:22:25 AM »
Blu-Ray = waste of consumer money

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 24, 2005, 04:31:54 AM »
Sony promises that BluRay can go up to 200GB in the future, 50 is already possible. HD-DVD goes up to 30GB and doesn't promise any more.
I'd say Nintendo should go with a slightly smaller BRD with a cartridge, that would be hard to pirate effectively and still provide enough space.

Offline odifiend

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 24, 2005, 05:04:28 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Sony promises that BluRay can go up to 200GB in the future, 50 is already possible. HD-DVD goes up to 30GB and doesn't promise any more.
I'd say Nintendo should go with a slightly smaller BRD with a cartridge, that would be hard to pirate effectively and still provide enough space.

But then that prevents movie playback which from listening to Iwata, is not what Nintendo is going for.  In a press conference, he made it sound like the exclusion of movie playback hurt the cube.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 24, 2005, 09:05:22 PM »
BRD isn't going to be the next media standard, anyway. The DVD-consortium decided on HD-DVD. Hm, if we see it that way, perhaps Sony won't be able to offer movie playback this time 'round? MS is definitely backing HD-DVD and now it's down to the impact of Xenon and PS3 to see which format will become de-facto standard. If N chooses the wrong one they could just as well have gone with their own format.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 25, 2005, 07:06:10 AM »
At the end of the day, I think Nintendo should choose the format that is best for it's true purpose: games.  I think including movie playback may be worthwhile but since there probably won't be a clear winner in this format war until after Revolution's launch, Nintendo should simply choose the format that's best for games and leave movie playback as a secondary concern.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX