Author Topic: Super Mario Bros. The Movie Extended Morton-Jankel Cut.  (Read 10819 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Super Mario Bros. The Movie Extended Morton-Jankel Cut.
« on: June 07, 2021, 02:07:14 AM »
It looks like Archive.org has an extended cut of Super Mario Bros. The Movie.
I watched it, it was interesting to see the additions. Some things that were spliced in that I remember from the VHS version, which I guess are not in the DVD cuts. I bought the DVD years ago, but I don't think I ever got around to watching it. Had I watched the DVD I probably would have thought I had seen some Mandela Version in the 90s. There were a few extended things like the car chase scene that made me think "why would you cut that out? Don't cut action!"

https://archive.org/details/super-mario-bros-1993-the-morton-jankel-cut-extended-vhs/Super+Mario+Bros+1993+The+Morton+Jankel+Cut+Extended+VHS.mp4

Restoration commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-4yy9oBKN4

"The film as released runs 104 minutes. This extended version runs a full 125 minutes, with 20 minutes of additional scenes. The editing has also been reworked throughout, and restored by filmmaker Garrett Gilchrist, well known for his restoration of The Thief and the Cobbler and many Muppet projects.

This version uses VHS sources for most of the film, for consistency. Otherwise identical edits sourced from DVD and Blu-Ray also exist, as well as a general restored workprint. We are exploring our options and further work will be done on this film later. However, the Archive Team has decided to release this version of the edit early, for the film's anniversary, and see what the fans think of it.

Previously-unseen deleted scenes include the Mario Bros running afoul of the (probably Mafia-connected) Scapelli plumbing company, Koopa murdering a technician by de-evolving him into slime, and Iggy and Spike rapping about the overthrow of King Koopa at the Boom Boom Bar. (Along with some dancing women who were censored for the theatrical cut.) There's more of Lena, Daniella and the Brooklyn Girls. Most scenes are extended in this version, with a lot more of the cast including Dennis Hopper as Koopa.

This edit attempts to do justice to a longer, earlier VHS workprint, but was not supervised by the directors directly. A future release may incorporate their notes."
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 02:11:42 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario Bros. The Movie Extended Morton-Jankel Cut.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 12:34:28 AM »
Plan to watch this with a friend at our first post-quarantine hangout. I never watched it when I was young as I could tell it was awful from the trailers, so it will all be new to me.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 03:36:36 AM »
I too want to say thank you for posting this.  I will watch it as well.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 07:10:02 AM »
I remember seeing this when it first came out and I honestly didn't mind it but then again I think I was 13 when this came out.   I remember one memory I had that day I went to see this.  It was opening night and the theature was packed and there was a line from the enterance going out to the side and around the building when this was released.  It was a big deal back then.  Nintendo making a movie of its major video game property. Huge deal.   

I also remember this day into night I would movie jump from different movies.  I was so unruly growing up.

As for this version of the movie I watched it the day it came out and I know Garrett Gilchrist from his work on the restoration of the Thief and the Cobbler.  He is a pretty brainy guy and he loves his work. I interacted with him in his livestreams from his work on Thief and the Cobbler. 

Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.