Community Forums > Movies & TV

Khushrenada's Annual Oscar Thread. 2021 Edition.

<< < (3/3)

Khushrenada:

--- Quote from: Discord.RSS on April 28, 2021, 12:16:05 PM ---Completely missed the Oscars happened. Feeling a bit culturally ignorant as I've seen zero of the nominees, and mostly spent the pandemic watching netflix trash. Of the ones you saw, are there any you'd recommend seeking out?

--- End quote ---

As I said earlier, the only movie I'd seen that had any nomination in any category is Emma. Haven't seen either of Pixar's releases. Haven't seen Tenet. Haven't seen anything nominated for Best Picture. Is Emma worth watching? Sure, if you like Jane Austin movies and are unfamiliar with the story of Emma but I don't think it's the best Austin adaption I've seen nor do I think it might win over somebody that doesn't care for those Victorian English type stories. That said, I'd probably recommend this version over the 1996 version because of the visuals and cinematography although Clueless may still be the better choice for its interesting more modern adaptation of the story.

About the only other thing I can comment on with the movies nominated was part of a post I read regarding the low ratings for this year's Oscars. The person was talking about how the Academy can make itself more relevant to viewers and had this gem to share:

--- Quote ---"Expand the breadth of the Oscar pool, to include the work that means more to viewers.  Nomadland was a fine film, but its impact with audiences was near zero.  As one voter was quoted as saying, “I want to be entertained.  I don’t want to see Frances McDormand **** in a bucket.”
--- End quote ---

Speak for yourself, Mr. Voter. I was already curious enough to check out Nomadland based on how it easily seemed to lock down Best Picture this year but now I want to see to judge this shitting in a bucket scene myself.

At this point, the only two movies I've seen released in 2020 are Emma and Birds of Prey which I saw a couple weekends ago. I suppose I could make a list of other titles that interest me after looking through the rest of the 2020 releases but it's late now and I've posted enough.

Order.RSS:

--- Quote from: Khushrenada on May 03, 2021, 12:44:25 AM ---As for Stunts, it's a touchy subject as stunt work always has been in movie history. Yes, stunts are big business and definitely an evolving part of film making along with people dedicated to their craft. Yet having an award for it may push some of these people to risk their lives even more then they already may do or bend safety measures to pull something off to now win an award. Watching Jackie Chan's work in the 80s is full of impressive stunts yet the outtakes show the toll it takes and some of the real risk of death that's being done in those stunts. That was just done for the sake of wowing an audience and trying to top what they'd already done and shown in previous movies. What might happen if now there was an award for what they were doing? I just don't think it will happen. Pretty much the only way stunt people may be honored is at the end of a long career with a lifetime achievement Oscar if the Academy does want to find a way to give some credit to the stunt profession.
--- End quote ---

That's a fair concern I suppose. Although the obvious counter-argument is, well, people are already risking their lives on movie sets. The Resident Evil movies have hospitalized at least 15 stunt performers, leading to amputations, and the death of one performer. Harry Potter's stunt double was paralyzed after a stunt on the last movie. Stunt performers died on the sets of recent movies/shows like Expendables 2, Deadpool 2, CW's DC Titans, and Walking Dead.

Right now it feels like Hollywood tries not to acknowledge this stuff at all. But I see the argument an award category for it would push productions to attempt even more reckless stunts to nab a statue.

Order.RSS:
Looks like this is the year I could get more predictions right than Khush!

I've seen zero of the 2022 candidates in any category, although I did hear the James Bond theme song on the radio.

Khushrenada:
Hold the phone! I haven't forgotten about this tradition just yet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version