Author Topic: The COVID-19 Virus is Coming For Us All Thread  (Read 187758 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: The COVID-19 Virus is Coming For Us All Thread
« Reply #150 on: April 02, 2020, 11:43:03 PM »
Wouldn't it just be a shame.....

https://www.mediamatters.org/fox-news/fox-news-worried-about-legal-action-after-misleading-viewers-about-coronavirus

Say what you want about the majority of the media, but when it comes to spin and misdirection there has been no worse offender than Faux News. So if this gets them back on the path of reporting the news instead of spinning the news, then by all means, carry on.

It's a shame that it takes the fear of getting sued to oblivion and back for the largest "news" station in the US to see the error in it's ways, but this is unfortunately the timeline we currently live in.

man, you hate to see it happen. LOL

https://timesofsandiego.com/business/2020/04/02/washington-state-group-is-1st-to-sue-fox-news-for-calling-coronavirus-a-hoax/

I wonder if this lawsuit expands to individuals come January 2021.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 03, 2020, 01:17:48 AM »
and I've just got to amplify this.... this is the kind of :jackiechanwut: that had led us on the back slide we are currently on right now.... smfh
https://twitter.com/i/status/1245852517474295809

I'm not even sure what this is supposed to mean.

"The federal stockpile is our stock pile.... not the states stock pile." - Jared Kushner

WhoTF does the Federal Represent? Who do you think funded said stockpile in the first place?
you do not get to hand out the stockpile only to those you reward for kissing the ring.
you also do not put unqualified people in charge of things they not only don't have the experience for, but the knowledge to deal with either. it's all just so GD embarrassing.

And just to add to the embrassment as a nation... since we didn't make moves early on, and since we downplayed till the last minute, and since we dismantled, underfunded and basically ignored all the institutions/programs/experts in place for emergency response, including the call to beef up the Federal Stock Pile last year..... we have now resorted to paying several times over what it would have cost then to steal already paid for supplies from our "allies" now.
http://www.rfi.fr/en/europe/20200402-china-coronavirus-face-mask-france-stolen-us

basically showing up on the tarmac in China with dufflebags full of cash, and hijacking shipments already bought and paid for headed to both France and Canada.... we paid 3-4x what was already paid for them, and sent them to the US instead.
I know we gotta do what we gotta do, but damn. this is all just so f'd up.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 03, 2020, 12:27:44 PM »
In Canada our number of new cases was averaging around 700 per day or so until a few days ago where it jumped up to 1100 per day.  I suspected though that some of that might be increased testing.  Yesterday there were 1500.  But the more upsetting stat is 59 new deaths which is the largest single day death count in the country thus far and is more than twice the previous highest daily count of 24.  Unless people are quietly dying at home and no one is reporting the cause that is a hard number to get fudged by the amount of tests.

Quebec's number of cases has exploded and is well above other provinces but does that mean it has spread worse there or that they're testing more?  The death toll remains the highest in Ontario, but that's the most populated province so you would expect it to have the most deaths.  The Toronto area is also the most densely populated area in Canada so you would expect the virus to spread more there, like how New York City having a lot of cases makes sense.  Here in BC most of the cases are in the lower mainland which is the most populated area in the province.  The other fair-sized population centers in BC are all separated by sparsely populated areas so in theory if you restrict travel it would prevent a major spread.

In general Canada's remote population is probably an advantage in this case.  Our major cities are all quite isolated from each other compared to the United States.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 03, 2020, 04:08:48 PM »
Now we're getting reports that due to the increasing
number of unemployment, millions of Americans may soon find themselves without any medical insurance....
https://mobile.twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1246116385815703553?

So it may soon come to realization for many people that the "do nothings" in the house who passed hundreds of helpful bills that were stonewalled by the actual "do nothings" in the Senate, that nothing has been getting done in this country in the progress of helping the actual people or preparing the country for unexpected incidents such as these.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 03, 2020, 05:22:14 PM »
Perhaps we should just rename this topic "BlackNMild2k1 hates Republicans & especially Trump" and be done with it. Apparently, the no-politics rule has been waived  :rolleyes:

If that's the case, meanwhile, we have politicians using this crisis to abuse their power, such as...

Kentucky ordering citizens who've had Coronavirus to wear ankle bracelets meant for criminals so the government can track them and make sure they're obeying social distancing.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/03/us/kentucky-coronavirus-residents-ankle-monitors-trnd/index.html

It's always nice when the government treats its citizens like criminals while simultaneously releasing ACTUAL criminals into the wild ALSO to "fight the virus".

Or perhaps you prefer Google using its data mining to track people and ensure they're following shelter in place orders?

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/03/google-coronavirus-tracking-162715

How about Vermont ordering Big Box stores to limit the sale of "nonessential goods"?

https://www.wcvb.com/article/vermont-tells-walmart-target-costco-to-stop-selling-nonessential-products/32007941#

Or how about Governor Cuomo using the National Guard to seize ventilators from less-affected hospitals to redistribute them to New York City alone?

https://www.politico.com/states/new-york/albany/story/2020/04/03/cuomo-plans-to-use-national-guard-to-seize-ventilators-from-upstate-facilities-1271376

Because, you know, it's not like those hospitals might need those ventilators, so at best this is trading one life for another.

California's governor has also been using some interesting language lately, today referring to "7,000 hotel, motels rooms in our possession" for housing the homeless California's laws have created over the past few years. Democrat leaders in general have had some interesting things to say lately, such as claiming that this virus is "an opportunity for imagining a more progressive era."

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/newsom-says-coronavirus-is-an-opportunity-for-reimagining-a-more-progressive-era

A crisis is an "opportunity", is it? Well, we all know that this is a "tremendous opportunity to restructure things to fit our vision", at least according to Democrat Majority Whip James Clyburn.

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/dem-rep-told-colleagues-coronavirus-bill-is-tremendous-opportunity-to-restructure-things-to-fit-our-vision/

Because, remember: "Never let a crisis go to waste." - Rahm Emanuel.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/rahm-emanuel-reprises-never-let-a-crisis-go-to-waste-catchphrase-amid-coronavirus-pandemic

I find this rush to curtail American liberties from all areas of government, from both sides of the aisle, appalling. To think, this is all it took over so short a period.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 05:40:50 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 03, 2020, 05:29:20 PM »
Well I found out today that the company I work for will keep the store closed with no set date instead of opening again next week, but all employees will now be furloughed, so we'll have to sign up for unemployment benefits to get payed.  We'll still be covered under the companies health care during this time though so that's good news, since the health plan is a pretty good one if I was to get sick.

Now we're getting reports that due to the increasing
number of unemployment, millions of Americans may soon find themselves without any medical insurance....
https://mobile.twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1246116385815703553?

So it may soon come to realization for many people that the "do nothings" in the house who passed hundreds of helpful bills that were stonewalled by the actual "do nothings" in the Senate, that nothing has been getting done in this country in the progress of helping the actual people or preparing the country for unexpected incidents such as these.

Yep, hopefully this will finally get more people to realize how terrible the current health care system is and demand major reforms.  Maybe more people will finally realize why Single Payer or at the very least a Public Option would be a very important thing to have, especially during a crisis like this.  This is what's going to end up making the virus so deadly in America because so many will refuse to get tested or go to the doctor for treatment because they just cant afford it.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 03, 2020, 05:32:36 PM »
Well I found out today that the company I work for will keep the store closed with no set date instead of opening again next week, but all employees will now be furloughed, so we'll have to sign up for unemployment benefits to get payed.  We'll still be covered under the companies health care during this time though so that's good news, since the health plan is a pretty good one if I was to get sick.

Sorry to hear that, Luigi. Here's hoping you'll be able to get back to work soon and that you'll be able to maintain your health care for as long as you're furloughed.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 03, 2020, 07:29:46 PM »
Sorry to hear that, Luigi. Here's hoping you'll be able to get back to work soon and that you'll be able to maintain your health care for as long as you're furloughed.

Yeah that's the one thing I worry about.  Right now they say our health care is covered but if this crisis drags on into the summer, you never know what some companies might try to do to save money.   :-\

At least I have enough saved up in my bank account to still pay my mortgage and utilizes for about a year without any pay, so even if unemployment doesn't pay much, I'm covered on that end for the rest of this year.  Some of the people I work with though are living paycheck to paycheck so I hope they'll be ok during this.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 03, 2020, 08:47:57 PM »
Sorry to hear about the furlough, but at least you're eligible for the UI Benefits and the extra $600 per week on top of that. Hopefully that is enough to cover more than the necessities and the in home extra curriculars.

Hopefully you can also defer your mortgage for a few month... but I just heard some questionable
news about that as well.... :/
If it benefited you anyone the time, refinancing about a month ago turns out to be prefect as most people closing in the last week thru this week won't have a payment for April, and maybe not even in May, so no need to even worry about the deferment issue I hear about right now.

and @Broodwars, I don't know who offended you, but I don't see the need for such an aggressive callout. I don't hate republicans, and I don't believe I've ever said as such. I think anyone in the position to make and/or enforce the laws and then subsequently and purposely breaks those very laws should be held to a higher standard and made example of. I don't care if they sit on an ass or slide down a trunk. The truth is one side as a group has tried to push some very forward thinking policies even if they can't agree on how to get it done, and another group has done all they can to stifle anything that may relinquish their own grasp on power even if it contradicts the very message they've been spewing for decades.
It's not everyone in either group that's the ideal candidate, but there's always a fistful of influencers with the power to act that push either party, and sometimes they are the bad apples themselves.
Right now we see tons of examples of traditional rules and laws being broken and absolutely nothing being done about it (from the top down). if we had just rewound to 6-8 years ago.... and playback these same stories but with those players, it'd be a whole different game right now.

The general public has a short memory span though, so that's why we are always treading water. 2 steps forward, 1 step back, 1 step forward, 2 steps back. we aren't getting anywhere.

so the fact that everything is shut down, the greed of the system is in full display, and corruption is just done out in the open for all to see, I think now is the perfect opportunity to make some broad sweeping changes to a lot of things wrong with this country and how we deal with just about everything. Like voting, Healthcare, employment, use of technology in society, public safety, etc etc.
It's a great time to look at loopholes int he societal code and anything else that leads larger problems in our society and push policy to address and ultimately fix them. (there's two clips out there of R's stating that allowing people to freely vote by mail will mean another R is never elected ever again.... and that says so much about the system and people trying to rig it)

This whole situation is gonna last much longer than April 30th and we all know that, except for the person that keeps telling us it's not, yet doesn't do anything at all to help speed this process up by just giving the national mandate to lock it all down for 45 days and lets be done with it. Take over supply distribution from a federal level so the states are not competing with each other and for god sakes distribute the National Stockpile to the places that need the damn supplies, fully enact the Defense Production Protocol like a month ago and let's start saving some lives. **** is getting ridiculous from the clips of news stories I hear/read/get told about every day. It's all just handled so poorly, and there's so many unqualified people put in position to handle so many important task, that it's frustrating to know that all the checks and balances to prevent this kind of stuff have failed us.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 12:21:41 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 04, 2020, 01:52:40 PM »
Thanks to all this lockdown... and how busy it was at work just before all this mess began, I am LONG OVERDUE for a haircut, but my barber is currently social distancing. as expected....

So I'm gonna have to dust off the ol' clippers and hope not to need to buzz cut myself in the end. LOL
It's been a few years since I've had to cut my hair, and I've never been "great" at it, but I can trim it down (with a guard), taper the edges (w/ a guard) and maintain the hair lines in the front and face.

Anyone else having to resort to complete self-maintenance or you just letting it go?

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #160 on: April 04, 2020, 02:08:18 PM »
Thanks to all this lockdown... and how busy it was at work just before all this mess began, I am LONG OVERDUE for a haircut, but my barber is currently social distancing. as expected....

So I'm gonna have to dust off the ol' clippers and hope not to need to buzz cut myself in the end. LOL
It's been a few years since I've had to cut my hair, and I've never been "great" at it, but I can trim it down (with a guard), taper the edges (w/ a guard) and maintain the hair lines in the front and face.

Anyone else having to resort to complete self-maintenance or you just letting it go?

I have some friends that are in that field but I haven't had to resort to them yet. Most likely I will get it cut in June so my hair isn't getting drenched in sweat from it hanging on the nape of my neck.  Right now my hair is just past my shoulders but I can have it grow to the middle of my chest.

In similar state news our governor finally made it so that Barbers, Tanning Salons, Spas, Massage Parlors and anything to do with Cosmetology will be taken off the essentual business list.      A lot of these sort of places  have already have been closed because well the techs know their field better than the governer but what this does since they are off the essental business list it means those places can file for unemployment while they are not working and it would be valid within their community.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 02:24:33 PM by BeautifulShy »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 04, 2020, 02:40:43 PM »
I'll admit I haven't been checking this thread in awhile since I'm sort of checked out on COVID talk. At this point, I'm doing what I'm supposed to be limiting physical contact with things and people and staying as isolated as I can to work in slowing the spread. There isn't going to be a cure anytime soon and until most people do the same thing to slow down and stop the spread there isn't anything to do but wait.

As such, I've failed to notice that this thread has started to push the boundaries some more on the allowance of political talk. Mods recognize that this subject is going to involve discussion of what governments are doing to respond during the crisis and decisions they are making so there is going to be some political talk. However, a comment like this:

(there's two clips out there of R's stating that allowing people to freely vote by mail will mean another R is never elected ever again....

That really doesn't have anything to do with the topic of COVID. So far, no one has sent any reports to moderators about this thread which is a good thing. It means no one has crossed a line in their posts to warrant our involvement. Nor am I saying that only one person is at fault by using a single example from one post. It's just an easy way to illustrate the point I want to make which is when posting something in regards to politics, quickly ask yourself does it have actually have any bearing on the COVID-19 Crisis talk? I would say no to that example. Sure, it can be reasoned that it is relevant because COVID-19 might change how some political elements work later but that is speculation right now and not that relevant to what is currently happening. Try and keep things in the now.

Another bit of advice that may help pull things back from seeming too political is to just refer to politicians by the names and not their party. That way, it might help keep things focused on the individual decisions being made in the government and no one will feel the need to post what another party is doing wrong to keep things even or fair and balanced. I shouldn't because it might seem to undermine my point but the phrase is just perfectly timed for use here.

Sound reasonable?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 02:42:42 PM by Khushrenada »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 04, 2020, 02:53:47 PM »
In my defense, I only made that comment as a response to a direct call out post and it's content.

Everything else has been more directly related to the pandemic and its response by the Gov in a way that affects all of us at the mercy of their "leadership".

I've said this before, but I figure we're all adult enough to relax the usual rule and discuss a serious matter that is affecting us all in this one topic and keep it more than civil.

Edit:
I don't know if the National stockpile had been opened up to NY yet, last I heard the president wanted to investigate why they don't already have more ventilators....
But apparently China has decided to donate 1000 ventilators to NY and is shipping them over immediately, and I think they said a neighboring State (Vermont?) is donating 150 more.

I really hope that no we that China has their situation under control, they do start to step up and assist the rest of the world at their own expense to help minimize anymore needless loss of life due to lack of necessary medical equipment.

edit 2:
This is beyond sad.... (a follow up on the edit above) US Governors reaching out for foreign aid since Federal Assistance is apparently not available.

New York
https://twitter.com/NYGovCuomo/status/1246457007214931968
Quote from: NY Gov. Andrew Cuomo
We finally got some good news today.

The Chinese government helped facilitate a donation of 1,000 ventilators that will arrive in JFK today.

I thank the Chinese government, Jack Ma, Joe Tsai, the Jack Ma Foundation, the Tsai Foundation and Consul General Huang.

Maryland
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/03/us/politics/maryland-coronavirus.html
https://twitter.com/MarkLandler/status/1246484545001619460
Gov. Larry Hogan of Maryland asked his Korean immigrant wife to appeal to South Korean officials for help in combatting coronavirus. They agreed to send tests.

Massachussets
https://twitter.com/MattZeitlin/status/1246245606026358784?s=20
The governor of Massachusetts worked with local rich guy and the Chinese government because he couldn’t trust the Feds not to take their masks
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EUuNxSyXkAETzml?format=jpg&name=large
CONTEXT

Just unreal.

edit 3: and Oregon is stepping up to help out NY with some ventilators since the "National" Stockpile is apparently only for Federal(?) use and not for use by (all?) the states(!)?

And an Asian Tech Billionaire joins the rush to Help New York in the absence of full US Federal assistance.

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1246566005536706563
Joe Tsai, the billionaire co-founder of Chinese ecommerce giant Alibaba, and his wife Clara Wu Tsai, have donated 2.6 million masks, 170,000 goggles and 2000 ventilators to New York — the US epicenter of the coronavirus pandemic

edit 4:
Russia pitches in to New York's aide (behind a paywall so couldn't read it)
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/02/world/europe/coronavirus-us-russia-aid.html

« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 03:17:38 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 08, 2020, 12:24:41 AM »
Le sigh..... It's a good thing the states in need took it upon themselves to find their own way...
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1247699968367919104?s=20

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 08, 2020, 12:38:15 AM »
Le sigh..... It's a good thing the states in need took it upon themselves to find their own way...
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1247699968367919104?s=20

As is their responsibility, yes. The federal government is, and always has been (regardless of the party in charge), a lumbering; blundering; inefficient mess. This whole situation has been a spectacular demonstration of that.

What's important here is that the states (with the possible except of the mess that is New York) seem to be set to ride out the worst of the 1st wave. I have concerns about whether anyone at any level of government has plans for dealing with the 2nd wave, because the country will not tolerate being shut down without a clear plan to return to some level of normalcy for much longer. We're already seeing the cracks forming in Europe as they deal with this. It's not doing any good that any time anyone brings up needing a path to re-opening parts of normal day-to-day life, they get shouted down.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 12:42:20 AM by broodwars »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 08, 2020, 03:23:59 AM »
Well, by finding their own way, I was referring to seeking foreign aid to assist, and the states coordinating with themselves to help each other out where the federal gov apparently either turned a blind eye, or only provided bare minimum support. (in one case, even confiscating 1 states much needed supplies that I believe that state went and found themselves, and handing them out to another state)

In such as incident as this, I'd at least expect the Federal Gov to take control, direct supplies, and basically be the base of operations as I'm sure it's intended to be to deal with this on a National Level instead of allowing it to run it's course in each state in that states due time. It's only prolonging this whole incident.
But I'm not really sure why after the last few years I had any expectations at all ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 03:27:10 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 09, 2020, 10:26:00 AM »
You know what they say....
Hindsight is 20/20 (2020 sucks by the way 😷)
But early Intelligence is Priceless!!
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/intelligence-report-warned-coronavirus-crisis-early-november-sources/story?id=70031273

Summary: early reports from Intelligence came as early as Late Nov. - warned of how "cataclysmic" this could be.
Info vetted and president mentioned in press brief in Jan.

We all know it was clearly over shadowed by other events at the time, but was also being downplayed/ignored on many levels. And then wasn't acted on till very late.

Unfortunately, there still doesn't seem to be a unified plan to deal with this unprecedented situation now or going forward, and with reports saying it's going to get even worse before it gets better..... :/

In other news 🤓
6.6 million more Americans have filled for unemployment last week 😟
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/09/economy/unemployment-benefits-coronavirus/index.html

Great depression era had been far outpaced. I know it's not an easy problem to deal with, but if we're gonna throw another $1.5 Trillion in Tax Payer money at something, i guess we should consider throwing it to the tax payers themselves ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And i haven't read this yet so let's file it under Reading Material for Later:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52211206
"Over half the world could be lining in poverty thanks yo the coronavirus"

And in a more local level
GOTDAMNIT PEOPLE, 🤬 STOP IT!!!
https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/bay-area-restaurants-getting-hit-by-burglars-during-coronavirus-pandemic/2268613/

the smallish business are already struggling. Your selfish acts thievery are hurting more than just a business that isn't open late at night or early in the morning. You hurting a family, employees and removing another option of sustenance for pickup/delivery from a whole community... Stop it!! /Oldforumershoutingatclouds
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 10:30:35 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 09, 2020, 10:40:24 AM »
Throwing money at people is a pointless gesture unless they have somewhere to spend it and won't be staring at the National Guard the moment they try to leave their home TO spend it. The country has to get businesses open and people working again to bring back the economy, or all the money in the world 5 months from now won't solve anything.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 10:43:09 AM by broodwars »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 09, 2020, 11:36:06 AM »
"Essential" businesses are open. People need to eat. Supplies needed to be bought. Utilities need to be kept on. Rent needs to be paid. Mortgages need to be paid.
Mortgages from most lenders are deferred, but accounts are accruing balance due in 90 days.

Unemployment may cover some of those cost for some people, but i live in California. Unemployment is cutting it close

I'd say making sure everyone is financially secure for the next 90-120 days may lead to everyone actually staying the **** home so we can get ALL the businesses back up and running.

When we got everyone worrying about the next light bill, and making sure their family ain't hungry, they gonna be out doing whatever they gotta do to make those ends meet.

Rushing back to fix the economy now is only going to prolong the situation. It's too late to fix the response up to this point, but if they gonna lock it down and keep people home, then they need to mandate it nationally and let's get this over with. Staggering responses and making compliance optional just keeps the body count growing.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 11:38:22 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 09, 2020, 04:04:28 PM »
Businesses can only function with both workers and customers able to attend them. Workers need safety to go to their jobs, customers need BOTH safety and funds o spend. Safety means beating back Coronavirus so that it's at a manageable community rate (we don't shut down for flu, for example) instead of a virulent nationwide emergency. Funds mean that people either have jobs, or have bridge money until they go back to their jobs or get new ones).

It's not going to be as simple as one thing to address the economic fallout here. If the economy is going to get back on track you need BOTH the demand side to be healthy (consumers) and the supply side to be capable of starting up operations again (businesses)
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 09, 2020, 07:27:56 PM »
I agree.
and if we can't keep the consumers (essential, non essential, unemployed, and work from homers) to keep spending money on essential and non-essential things, then lots of the "essential" workers may soon find themselves on that non-essential and possibly even that unemployed list as well.

If we pump the tax payer money back to the tax payers to feel financially stable, instead of to the billion dollar corporations and stock market, the billion dollar corps and stock market may still make money from all the financially stable consumer continuing to consume. While at the same time, mostly staying TF home.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 09, 2020, 07:33:56 PM »
It's official... this virus was sent to wipe us all out. Mother Nature is tired of our ****.
If we can't all get along, and we can't stop all destroying our own ****, then she apparently just wants us all gone.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-09/coronavirus-may-reactivate-in-cured-patients-korean-cdc-says

I really hope this doesn't affect out hopes of making an effective vaccine...
they better not be taking the "Flu" Vaccine approach with a weakened version of Corona as a "cure" either.'''

edit:
Viral Marketing attempt #53298
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-france-confinement/obesity-is-major-covid-19-risk-factor-says-french-chief-epidemiologist-idUSKBN21Q0S7

Work Out at Home Routines - get those summer bodies now and prevent COVID-19!!!
DM me for customized workout @ home plans today!!! only $19.99 each
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 07:44:10 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #172 on: April 09, 2020, 08:27:42 PM »
Throwing money at people is a pointless gesture unless they have somewhere to spend it and won't be staring at the National Guard the moment they try to leave their home TO spend it.

I think people are more worried than they should be about National Guard deployments.  They mostly come in to fill in the gaps left by depleted government services (police, fire dept, etc).  I think people hear about National Guard deployments and think the military is coming in to enforce martial law. That's not gonna happen.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #173 on: April 09, 2020, 08:31:16 PM »
So far, no one has sent any reports to moderators about this thread which is a good thing. It means no one has crossed a line in their posts to warrant our involvement.

I thought it meant that we all realized the mods don't read those emails. :P

But I think we all could do with avoiding sharing opinions or anything that's debatable.  Projections, expectations, or anything forward-looking regarding the spread or future response would probably be fine.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #174 on: April 09, 2020, 09:42:58 PM »
I for one read the emails, it's just that I think I've gotten one or two that haven't been related to the you-know-what-bots in months.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.