Author Topic: Next Generation Xbox (Project Scarlet) Officially Named “Xbox Series X”  (Read 4188 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile

For BlackNWild

Well, that’s confusing especially considering Microsoft’s “Pro” Xbox was named “Xbox One X”. I guess it’s just banking on people referring to their consoles as “Xbox”. I don’t hate the name; I don’t particularly like it either.

I rather like the design. It’s simple, angular, and literally just a box. I’ve seen it compared to a PC tower, and yeah, that’s fair.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
That is really not going to fit well in my entertainment center.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Im buying one on day 1.

Also, the name is almost as bad as Wii U.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
I'd argue it's actually worse than Wii U. "Xbox One" was bad enough on its own, then "Xbox One S" and "Xbox One X" weren't all that intuitive, now "Xbox Series X" does significantly less to set itself apart.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
I'm simply curious to see if this will cause confusion in a similar manner as the Wii U.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
It looks like Microsoft duct taped two GameCubes together and put a fat Xbox One shell on it.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
To Microsoft’s credit, Xbox Series X doesn’t look like any previous generation Xbox which should help things. Nintendo’s other problem after the “Wii U” name Was how similar Wii and Wii U looked. With that in mind, I can see the “Xbox Series X” name being less problematic than “Wii U” even though this really didn’t have to be an issue at all. What is gained by such vague branding?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
I feel sorry for anyone having to deal with parents trying to buy an Xbox at retail during holiday 2020.

"Hi, I'd like to buy an Xbox."

"Great! Do you want the Xbox One, the Xbox One S, the Xbox One X, the Xbox Series S*, or the Xbox Series X?"

I liked Hellblade quite a bit, but I didn't really want a sequel to it (and it doesn't quite make sense for it to have one given how that game ends). The console's a giant black brick with air vents at the top. As a console reveal, I felt that it was fairly underwhelming.

Honestly, my big thought when the name was revealed was "wow, did Doctor K invent this thing?"  ;)

And with the information that's been released since, even if I did want one of these the Series S* is out of the question. It has no disc drive, so none of the 360 or One games I own on disc will work on it. I bought my One for pretty much Sunset Overdrive, and if it wasn't for Rare Replay and the BC games I'd think it was a wasted purchase. I'm not seeing anything as entertaining in what Microsoft's shown so far games-wise, so that price point is way beyond what I'm prepared to pay for this thing.

*during the Game Awards, there was this graphic going around of there being 2 Xbox Series Models: an S & the X that we saw. The S was supposed to be an all-digital console for a lesser price. However, since seeing that, I haven't seen that posted elsewhere, so it might have been nonsense.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 08:44:57 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
I think the internet's tendency of wanting to dunk on something for the likes was dramatized how "Bad" the name is.  I think it makes sense in context of what Phil Spencer has been saying in the past few years. 

Do I also think it's got big Wii U energy in terms of names?  Sure.  But a distinction is that non gamers think of Nintendo's consoles as "the nintendo".  Xbox is a brand ubiquitous in and of itself, I don't think all that many people outside of the gamer population associate it specifically with Microsoft.

I also think the question of how people will understand which xbox to get at the stores will be wholly dependent on what's done at retail.  If it's the only xbox on the shelf, then it's going to be pretty clear at your Best Buys/Targets/Walmarts what Xbox options they've got.  If Microsoft does the silly thing of Keeping Xbox One on store shelves alongside it, then it'll be a bungle.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Xbox One S and Xbox One X would've been ok names if MS used only one of them.  The "S" less so because what does that even stand for? "Speed" I don't think it's faster, it just has 4K video out?  "Size" or "Style" are stupid things to name your console after, but they are smaller and more stylish.

"Series X" just sounds like an extension of "Xbox One X" but also doesn't seem like they can iterate on it for the inevitable redesign.  Bad name. 4/10
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Next Generation Xbox (Project Scarlet) Officially Named “Xbox Series X”
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2019, 04:46:59 PM »
One thing that I think contributed to the confusion regarding the name "Wii U" is that the Wii was a big success with people that weren't necessarily tech savy so they didn't pay attention to the details as much as a traditional videogame customer would.  I doubt kids for example were confused as to what a Wii U was as kids seem to be very knowledgeable of things they want their parents to buy them.  It was the people that bought a Wii for Wii Sports and Wii Fit that got confused and the mainstream media who had given a lot more attention to the Wii than they did for other videogame systems.

I don't think the Xbox Series X will quite have the same problem because the Xbox One userbase is... well, I don't really know exactly who that is (lol) but I think the market MS is trying to court is more tech savy.  I think the bigger issue is getting people on board with the Xbox brand again.  The Xbox One is probably the least essential system from a major company I've ever seen.  Almost everything available for it is on the PS4 and that is the system the market for those games chose.  MS themselves don't even appear that interested in providing first party exclusives since they want their games on Windows 10 as well.  Sony and Nintendo have clear first party exclusives and have created brands that will attract an audience even if their third party support dips.  Even hardcore gamers that want to have access to all the major games and own multiple systems seem to regard the Xbox One as a waste of time.  It's like the system you accidentally bought instead of a PS4 and you stuck with it out of stubbornness.  It lacks identity so why buy its successor over waiting for the PS5?  Right now if you want home gaming with cutting edge tech you buy Playstation and if you want the flexibility of portability you buy Nintendo and a really hardcore gamer with the budget to do so will buy both.