Gaming Forums > Reader Reviews

Paper Mario: Color Splash (Wii U)

<< < (2/2)

Evan_B:
I came to read the review, and I'll just say a few things before I leave:

-I didn't think that Stickers were necessarily difficult to obtain in Sticker Star, and even with the album limitations, the game handed them out way too often.
-I still feel that the action commands in these more recent games, while possessing fantastic animation, are too powerful, even at their basic tiers.
-The aesthetics of these games, which were even impressive in Sticker Star, cannot personally redeem the lack of meaningful gameplay, in my mind.

Good review, Phil.

Phil:
Thanks, Evan! Just one question: Action commands too powerful how so? I find battles would take too long if they couldn't dispatch foes quickly, which would hurt the pacing of the game.

Evan_B:
I hate to do this, but the balancing of action commands was way better in the Paper Mario RPGs. While the new animations are lovely and flashy, they take little skill or precision to execute properly, yet they still deal out high levels of damage. It makes battles go faster, but only because of the ridiculous shared HP system that lowers the bar of skill even further.

One of the most enjoyable aspects of the RPGs was improving the execution of your action commands so that you could deal damage more efficiently across a number of enemies, minimizing combat time and the damage you took. There's no such balance in the more recent Paper Mario titles, and hey- if you're there for the paper vignettes, adventure puzzle-solving, and kooky dialogue, I'm happy for you. I just wish there was something present for those that want meat on the combat side of things.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version