Author Topic: Nintendo World Championships 2015 Speculation: What will the 3 games be?  (Read 10603 times)

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
Quick wiki synopsis of the original Nintendo World Championships:

Contestants played a version of the game designed specifically for the contest. Officially, a player has 6 minutes and 21 seconds to play, which is divided up into three minigames. The first minigame of the competition is to collect 50 coins in Super Mario Bros. The next minigame is a version of Rad Racer where players must complete a specialized Nintendo World Championship course. The final minigame is Tetris, and this lasts until time expires. Once time expires, a player's score is totaled using the following formula:[3]
(Super Mario Bros. score) + (Rad Racer score x 10) + (Tetris score x 25) = final score

...Nintendo features the reminiscent Nintendo World Championships Remix in 2014's NES Remix 2.

What games do you think will be chosen for the 2015 edition of this contest?  Will it just be the version from the NES remix?  What games/challenges would YOU want to be selected? 

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
I'd say it be a better idea as stated elsewhere to be a collection of Smash, MK8, and Splatoon competitions. Good way to show off Splatoon as a competitive game and give it more advertisement. MK8 and Smash for obvious reasons.

The old challenges would be a waste of an opportunity I think. The event is supposed to be a treat for gamers and a form of advertisement. Games that are 25 years old don't need advertisement. Splatoon can benefit from this if they used it.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
The idea of World Championships is to get the biggest high score and not to compete against others directly, so I can't see Splatoon working very well. My proposal is Pikmin, it has a high skill ceiling requiring both strategy and dexterity.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• View Profile
The idea of World Championships is to get the biggest high score and not to compete against others directly, so I can't see Splatoon working very well. My proposal is Pikmin, it has a high skill ceiling requiring both strategy and dexterity.
There is a point score system.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Mario Maker will be one of the games for sure.

Offline ObbyDent

• Too reasonable for this forum
    • View Profile
I'd say it be a better idea as stated elsewhere to be a collection of Smash, MK8, and Splatoon competitions. Good way to show off Splatoon as a competitive game and give it more advertisement. MK8 and Smash for obvious reasons.

The old challenges would be a waste of an opportunity I think. The event is supposed to be a treat for gamers and a form of advertisement. Games that are 25 years old don't need advertisement. Splatoon can benefit from this if they used it.

Would the challenges in Smash 4 and MK8 be things like collecting all the coins in a race or knocking out as many NPC fighters in the time limit?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile

How would that work though?  The whole point of the game is making your own stuff.  That's not really something that allows for competition.  Sure the players could go through created levels but that doesn't really promote the whole hook of the game.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• View Profile

Would the challenges in Smash 4 and MK8 be things like collecting all the coins in a race or knocking out as many NPC fighters in the time limit?

Doesn't Smash have a point system in post game results? Like how timed matches work.
MK8 should be recorded like how F-Zero records points. 1st= 100 pts, 2 = 85pts, etc. Something like that.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile

How would that work though?  The whole point of the game is making your own stuff.  That's not really something that allows for competition.  Sure the players could go through created levels but that doesn't really promote the whole hook of the game.

They'll use Mario Maker to re-create that epic scene in The Wizard but at the end of the level they'll move into some...nevermind, I got nothing. Still think mario maker is a lock.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Pokemon, Smash Bros, Mario Kart.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
I suspect the 3 will be Splatoon, Mario Kart, and Smash. Maybe Yoshi's Woolly World could squeeze in there just to have the obligatory 2D platformer.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
NES Remix, Smash, SUPAH MARIO GALAXY THREE!

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Tomodachi Life, Wii Fit U and Wii Party.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Tomodachi Life, Wii Fit U and Wii Party.

A gauntlet has been thrown down.

Wii Music, Yoshi's Story, Flash Focus Vision Training.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
SNES Remix or NES Remix 3: Championship Edition. 

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
I think games with actual score systems work a bit better for this sort of competition, so I'm ruling Mario Kart 8 out. I could see a 2-minute smash working but again, if saving time and moving from phase to phase is an objective, anything with a set time limit seems pointless. Maybe a Smash game with one stock, to try to get a fast kill?

In any case, I'm very excited about this and wish I could attend to spectate. It's a smart move from Nintendo to play on their storied history with video games, that is kind of what their whole business revolves around this point.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
If they wanted to do Mario Kart it could be in the form of time trials, which would be easy enough to turn into a score.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!

They'll use Mario Maker to re-create that epic scene in The Wizard but at the end of the level they'll move into some...nevermind, I got nothing. Still think mario maker is a lock.

That actually makes the most sense: use Mario Maker to make an exciting custom level that they can distribute after the event.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
If they wanted to do Mario Kart it could be in the form of time trials, which would be easy enough to turn into a score.

They could also just use Battle Mode, as terrible as that mode is in Mario Kart 8.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
I would go with Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, and Splatoon.  Smash WII U is going be headlining EVO 2015 which is two weeks after E3 and it's a bit more hardcore for the casuals at E3.  Smash is exciting to watch when two pros go at it, not when a bunch of casuals players going head to head spamming the same moveset over and over.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• View Profile
Quote from: Gameinformer
Qualifiers will take place at the following Best Buy locations from 10 a.m. until 7 p.m. local time on May 30.

1717 Harrison St.
San Francisco, CA

3675 Pacific Coast Highway
Torrance, CA

10760 NW 17th St.
Miami, FL

900 E. Golf Road
Schaumburg, IL

12905 Elm Creek Blvd. N
Maple Grove, MN

5001 Northern Blvd.
Long Island City, NY

9378 N. Central Expressway
Dallas, TX

2214 S. 48th St.
Tacoma, WA
The games are going to be Ulitmate NES Remix Championship mode. So Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 3, and Dr. Mario. I feel that is a stupid decision and nostalgia pandering myself, but it is what it is.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 09:24:51 AM by Triforce Hermit »

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
What, you thought NOA was going to spend any more money making special versions of games for the championships when they have something so readily available?
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Triforce Hermit

• View Profile
I was hoping they would use their newer games they have on the Wii U seeing as how that is their current console and has games readily available to be used in a tournament.

And I actually see people saying this is a good thing.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
What, you thought NOA was going to spend any more money making special versions of games for the championships when they have something so readily available?

I'm ok with the game selection, and think it's smart use of an existing game (even if I would have preferred to see some newer franchises instead of purely based on classics).

I'm not as happy with the approach of using 8 retail locations across the country, and only 9 hours available so people better get in line now!

In the current digital age, couldn't they have found a way to make this more inclusive? I know Nintendo doesn't like online gaming but this could be an ideal use and putting together a stripped down version of that game that submits a high-score to Nintendo servers shouldn't be that hard. Have 8 of the contestants come from Best Buy retail locations, 4 from digital scoreboards, and 4 hand-picked entries by Nintendo. Just give people who don't live in a major urban center a chance is all I'm asking!

Am I just growing old and disillusioned, or is Nintendo moving more and more towards a "hype over substance" product? Maybe that approach is necessary to stay relevant when they simply don't have enough product coming out to get people excited about gaming - but it's still becoming a real turn-off for me.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
I think you're grossly overestimating the amount of people that are interested in this function, and I think that starting small and conservative is a better choice, especially if they plan on taking this somewhere in the future.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
I think you're grossly overestimating the amount of people that are interested in this function, and I think that starting small and conservative is a better choice, especially if they plan on taking this somewhere in the future.

Well, I guess we'll have to wait and see.  I just remember seeing photos of the line ups when people were trying to get access to E3 demos from a select number of stores in previous years, and feel like that's going to be even worse if there are prizes attached.

The point remains though: it would have been harder and more expensive to make this inclusive, but it also would have gotten more people actively involved. I don't see how that could be a bad thing.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
"The games are going to be Ulitmate NES Remix Championship mode. So Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 3, and Dr. Mario. I feel that is a stupid decision and nostalgia pandering myself, but it is what it is"

Not even going bother watching this crap.  Man, disappointed to say the least.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
The press release says the LA round will be "a multi-round competition with a variety of Nintendo games".
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
The press release says the LA round will be "a multi-round competition with a variety of Nintendo games".

Which all has to be true, given what we already know. So... yeah, don't get your hopes up for anything interesting or innovative.

Offline hhgjf

• View Profile
Lame and uninspiring game selection as expected. That’s just a lazy and cowardly move that serves absolutely no purpose in promoting their current games which desperately need attention. And don’t get me started on the miserable inclusion of only 8 sites. All these and the short notice in advance make me believe that it was all just a last minute thing. It is like,
“We've got not enough stuffs for E3, what can we use as fill-ins?â€
“How about a half-assed NWC?â€
“Great idea.â€

Anyway, that said, I’m still hoping that the actual tournament at E3 will feature more relevant games like some of you are suspecting.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 11:15:17 PM by hhgjf »

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Given the short time frames and need to chew through the allotted entrants, The limited sites and use of pre-existing content makes utilitarian sense. It's not splashy or extravagant, but Nintendo just needs to find 8 people to fly to LA for a PR shindig.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
Wait you want them to promote their current games which NEED attention? In that case the line up would be;
1). Code Name S.T.E.A.M : Lincoln Vs Aliens
2). Code Name S.T.E.A.M : Lincoln vs Aliens
3). Code Name S.T.E.A.M : Lincoln vs Aliens

With the grand final being a head to head of the upcoming unannounced hotly anticipated virtual console release of Disaster : Day of Crisis.