Author Topic: NWR Super Smash Bros. Tournament Week One  (Read 1708 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
NWR Super Smash Bros. Tournament Week One
« on: March 25, 2015, 02:12:09 PM »

NWR staffers and friends square off in a battle for the ages.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/39913/nwr-super-smash-bros-tournament-week-one

A few months ago, we joked about the idea of putting together a staff Super Smash Bros. for Wii U league. We all laughed about it. That sounded fun. Well, we actually did it. Nintendo World Report is proud to present the first season of our NWR Super Smash Bros. Tournament. For this, we have eight teams competing in a vigorous four-game season, followed by an even more vigorous playoff.

We're not abiding by any kind of classic Smash Bros. tournament rules, though. We're mostly a bunch of folks who like playing for fun with items, so our Smash Bros. league is run that way. Here's how it works. During the regular season, each three-person team has two "home" games, in which they set the stage and item selection for the best-of-three match. The games consist of three three-stock matches with each player competing in one match in a blind draw.

To recap:

• Eight teams of three players
  • Season consists of four weeks, which each team playing four games
  • Each game consists of three matches, with the victory going to whoever wins the most matches
  • Each match is three stock
  • The stage/items are set by the home team; each team has two home games in the regular season
  • Nothing (for now) is off limits
  • No custom characters/stages

As we get through the different weeks, we'll explain more and clear up anything that might not make sense. We'll be totally honest: we don't really know how this is going to work. For example, we first had five stock for each match but lowered it to three because the first match took longer than 15 minutes.

Here are the eight teams competing in our first-ever Super Smash Bros. league:

• Team Forums: Carmine Red (Associate Editor), J.P. Corbran (Community Manager), and Donald Theriault (Associate Editor)
  • Team PGC: Mike Sklens (RFN Co-Founder/Connectivity Editor), Michael "TYP" Cole (Associate Editor/Radio Trivia Host), and Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez (Former NWR Director)
  • Team Mousers: Jared Rosenberg (Video Producer), Justin Berube (Features Editor), and Nicholas Bray (Associate Editor (Australia))
  • Team TNT: John Rairdin (Video Editor), Curtis Bonds (Video Editor), and Travis (community member trbroady)
  • Team Newscast: Zach Miller (Associate Editor), Andy Goergen (Managing Editor), and Nathan Mustafa (Former Newscast Host/NWR Writer)
  • Team Famicast: Danny Bivens (Famicast Co-Host), Ty Shughart (Famicast Co-Host), and Addison Webb (Not From Japan, Associate Editor)
  • Team SWAN: Bryan Rose (Reviews Editor), Austin Clark (Writer at Invisible Gamer), and Daan Koopman (Associate Editor (Europe))
  • Team RFN: Jonny Metts (RFN Co-Host/Former Director), Jon Lindemann (RFN Co-Host/Former Director), and James Jones (RFN Co-Host)

So click on and enjoy our slate of week one matches. They are pretty exciting!

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: NWR Super Smash Bros. Tournament Week One
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 09:43:06 PM »
I sucked, but I sucked less than my teammates, which, when you think about it, is really what's important. My only regret is that I wasn't able to cram in more Doc Emrick-inspired taunts.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 11:32:44 PM »
I put my trust in the Famicrew (plus Addison) to not let me down.
Spoilers

I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 01:32:25 AM »
-my thoughts before watching the video-

"Well...barring a colossal screw up on Danny and Addison's part, we should just give the trophy to Team Famicast right now"

-my thoughts after the match-

"hmmph"
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline StrikerObi

• BanEditLockDelete Podcast Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Pixel du Jour
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 11:01:23 AM »
Let it be known that my killer move with the clay pigeon to deflect the flying beetle back at Carmine was not something I knew would happen. I may indeed be a self-proclaimed "demon with that clay pigeon" but I had no idea the beetle's direction could be flipped at all, or with the clay pigeon specifically. I will however admit that it was totally badass.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 02:43:06 PM »
I normally don't make time for video features but this has me intrigued.

The first video though... so much lack of action...
NNID: ejamer

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 08:57:36 PM »
I believe I speak for all the participants when I say f**k Hyrule Castle.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.