Author Topic: What would make Tvii a must-use application?  (Read 4724 times)

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
What would make Tvii a must-use application?
« on: December 02, 2013, 12:24:57 PM »
I've been thinking about how important it has become for video game consoles to not only be a games machine, but also offer complimentary services (Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Video, & Twitch streaming from Xbone/PS4, as examples).

I remember being fairly excited when Tvii was announced, especially the way they advertized it as using your gamepad like a universal remote for your television & cable, but also being able to search for the shows availability on Hulu/Netflix/Amazon and play directly from the Tvii menu.  It seemed like a promising way to not only navigate all of these different content venues, but also as a way they could expand the way you interact with your television.

Upon release, it was sort of half-baked.  Menu navigation wasn't nearly as seamless as advertized in the promotions.  Netflix wasn't integrated into Tvii at the beginning (I'm not even honestly sure if they've done this, as I haven't opened Tvii since it launched).  Additionally, the slow loading times of the Netflix & Hulu Plus apps really strains the appeal of using Tvii if it takes so long to even load the show from the Tvii menus.

I'm interested in what people here think could be done to boost the appeal of using Tvii.  I still love the idea conceptually, but it doesn't seem like it's something that has been supported well since its launch.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: What would make Tvii a must-use application?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 12:37:34 PM »
To me, it's completely useless without the video streaming services built right into the service. Even with the faster load times we have now, whatever added functionality is there wouldn't be worth it without that kind of integration. Really, though, I've moved to a Roku box for all my media streaming needs, which supports more services and seems quicker to get around than any of the consoles I've used.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 12:43:08 PM »
Support for more service channels. Free version of hulu would be great but would never happen.

Offline Nemo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 01:25:01 PM »
I don't even have television on the TV set that my Wii U is hooked up on. Nor do I subscribe to hulu or netflix (at least, right now). So... under these circumstances, it will never have value for me.
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 01:39:30 PM »
Honestly,  Just go back to the promises they made and what they say it will do and this time do it right.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 02:42:24 PM »
I would like to see Crackle added to the Wii U.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 06:53:37 PM »
If they made Nintendo TVii similar to what the Xbox One does with TV and streaming services would be HUGE. If they made it as "snappy" as what the One does, Nintendo would pretty much destroy the Xbox One's biggest selling (or advertising?) point.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 09:07:09 PM »
It would have to completely take over your TV experience quickly and as fast as the Xbox One can. Nintendo would have to be aggressive getting third party services, in addition to having their own first party Video and Music stores. Since none of that will happen soon TVii won't get the traction could have gotten.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 09:59:22 PM »
An uninstall option.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 05:51:30 AM »

A complete reversal of the current worldwide trend towards internet streaming and torrenting over expensive cable packages containing channels people don't want.  Honestly, I have this same issue with the Xbone: I've seen people defending this push towards television integration as the sign of a true "console of the future", but I can't remember the last time I actually watched a show broadcast to my TV.  I watch the few shows I follow when they hit the web and when they hit BluRay (and, incidentally, I don't "do" Netflix or its ilk), and I'm satisfied with that.  Between the dearth of worthwhile programming and the annoyance of dealing with commercials, I just don't bother with TV anymore in general.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 05:53:08 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 08:56:50 AM »

A complete reversal of the current worldwide trend towards internet streaming and torrenting over expensive cable packages containing channels people don't want.  Honestly, I have this same issue with the Xbone: I've seen people defending this push towards television integration as the sign of a true "console of the future", but I can't remember the last time I actually watched a show broadcast to my TV.  I watch the few shows I follow when they hit the web and when they hit BluRay (and, incidentally, I don't "do" Netflix or its ilk), and I'm satisfied with that.  Between the dearth of worthwhile programming and the annoyance of dealing with commercials, I just don't bother with TV anymore in general.

I see your point, but I don't think we're at the "no-cable" future for most people yet, and frankly don't think we'll be there for a while, given the recent application of data caps from ISPs.  I also think more people are filtering out their cable-watching by setting DVRs on the shows they know they want to watch instead of idly watching whatever's on at the time.

We're both speaking anecdotally here, but I see appeal in a console that I can have integrated with cable, DVR, Netflix, & Amazon Prime to be able to access them all and navigate through one input (Wii U gamepad, Kinect, whatever), provided it's near-instantaneous.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2013, 01:30:04 PM »
That's why I currently only use Netflix for streaming, Broodwars. I've started to hate getting ads in my shows. If the show is important enough to me to see before it appears on Netflix I will rent, borrow or buy the disc.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2013, 02:11:25 PM »
Yeah, this is a good point to bring up. The new consoles, and Microsoft especially, are doubling down on prescriptive television. People often say "oh, well, most people aren't ready to change yet" but I think that's underestimating how quickly these things can be disrupted. I heard on NPR this morning that some cable providers are finally planning to offer a 20 channels plus HBO option to help combat record decline in subscription growth. Sure, having Netlifx, Hulu apps, whatever, accessible through a game box is a fine feature, but completely non-unique, and having a UI mask on a cable box as a key selling point seems to me a dead-end strategy. This is coming from someone who hasn't watched broadcast TV since I was 18 and went to college, but I stand firm that the cable oligopolies are extremely vulnerable, and given the shaky fundamentals of the video game industry, I wouldn't hitch my horse to that wagon.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2013, 02:18:51 PM »
This as a whole doesn't fit fixing the actual program we currently have, but more if they could start over and try again. (from a previous thread I stated - Fixing the Wii U)

2. TVii 2.0 - for realz this time.
- as it currently is, TVii is pretty pointless for me. It's no secret to that a lot of people used their consoles as media machines connected to their living room TV's, so let's kill 2 birds with 1 stone and turn the Wii U into an actual cable box, or a cable box companion. Plug the cable directly into it. now my TV guide should show up on the small screen, which would also be like a Universal remote to put Harmony to shame. Now I should have touch screen access to program DVR, change channels and skim channel discriptions all while watching TV. That's not to mention the TVii Chat you could do with the built in camera and touchscreen keyboard to keep most of the current TVii features.

So what would be needed to make TVii into something that is actually useful, that they could actually make happen with what we currently have in the retail unit....?

1. Speed it up.
it takes like 2 minutes to get into the damn app (almost any app really).
If I could turn it on, see what was on without a long ass wait, it would be useful. At this point it's easier to just turn on the cable box, or pull up netflix or whatever I use to watch stuff on my computer/TV app which is almost instant.

2. Actual integration of selected services into the TVii app.
For LIVE cable shows/programs, click on it and it changed the TV to the correct input, and channel For Internet streaming it should open the appropriate app and pulled up the selected show (or just have the player from that app integrated into the service which may be possible if you provide your login info) - Be the 1 App that rules them all.

3. TViiGuide
Like the guide on the cable box, but only on the GamePad. Show me whats on, when it comes on, show descriptions, previews, clips, related interviews, actor profiles/IMDB stuff, etc etc. - this is an internet capable machine, use it to your advantage. all the info you could possibly want at your fingertips.

4. DVR Control
allow me to select shows to watch later and have my Cable DVR/TiVO box set to record it all from the GamePad. 1 touch programming, no need to juggle remotes, change inputs, etc etc.
TVii needs to be the 1 program I enter when I want to watch TV, the GamePad should be the only remote I need to pick up to control everything I need to watch TV.

5. Live Chat/Group Chat/Video Chat
This is a Wii U service, it's primarily used from the gamepad itself. Why not use all the features such as the rear facing camera. Watch TV with friends or family that can't be there in person.

6. Live sport data, replays, and user interaction
Stats, play structures, and user selected replays.
Draw on the screen and share those shots with friends watching along. Would be nice if you could do it with limited replays too.

Of course some of this may be dependent on if Nintendo had provided a machine with enough horsepower to realize all of this. wifi speeds alone are already an issue. CPU capability may be another. Potential is there, but as usual, Nintendo has narrow sights and focused goals.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2013, 02:54:06 PM »
An uninstall option.

Let me see if I can top this troll... ;)

Bring it to a platform that matters, like the PS4.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2013, 03:41:58 PM »
Yeah, this is a good point to bring up. The new consoles, and Microsoft especially, are doubling down on prescriptive television. People often say "oh, well, most people aren't ready to change yet" but I think that's underestimating how quickly these things can be disrupted. I heard on NPR this morning that some cable providers are finally planning to offer a 20 channels plus HBO option to help combat record decline in subscription growth. Sure, having Netlifx, Hulu apps, whatever, accessible through a game box is a fine feature, but completely non-unique, and having a UI mask on a cable box as a key selling point seems to me a dead-end strategy. This is coming from someone who hasn't watched broadcast TV since I was 18 and went to college, but I stand firm that the cable oligopolies are extremely vulnerable, and given the shaky fundamentals of the video game industry, I wouldn't hitch my horse to that wagon.

But that's the thing the thing about Tvii and the Xbox Oneguide is that they should be made to be future proof for how we currently view TV and how it changes in the future.

The App channels in the xbox One guide should be a start on how we change toward the TV.

3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2013, 09:45:26 PM »
An uninstall option.

It's not a troll. Now, my saying that television has collectively fallen victim to Sturgeon's Law, that's a troll.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2013, 11:27:34 PM »
An uninstall option.

It's not a troll. Now, my saying that television has collectively fallen victim to Sturgeon's Law, that's a troll.

At least we all have Trailer Park Boys...

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2013, 03:46:14 AM »
Have you guys ever watched an NFL game online and been able to pick through the cameras? It's the best thing ever. Watching football on TV usually picks the sideline view during plays but online you can watch it with the floating cam behind the QB which is much more engaging.

Is it possible for TVii to access this feature?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2013, 08:07:22 PM »
I'm going to go ahead and second all notions for better "universal remote" functions.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.