Author Topic: Fixing the Wii U - Top 5 Things you would implement/change/improve  (Read 13400 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
I was just wondering, if you could take the product we received known as the Wii U and make some minor changes that would make significant differences, what would they be?
*don't just make a Kytim list, actually list out reasoning, implementation, examples, etc etc.*

We all know they need more games & better 3rd party relations, but that's not what I'm referring to in this thread.

I have a short list of things that I wished Nintendo would and (in some cases) probably still could implement that would make Wii U usage not only more pleasurable, but actually preferred going forward.
Nintendo often has good ideas, but they always only seem to take the idea halfway. Wii U could have done some really great things had Nintendo decided to see their ideas all the way through and not just take baby steps towards something that could have been great.

So these are some of my ideas that would push their ideas to where I think they should have gone

1. Real Multi-tasking.
- I Should be able to pull up Netflix in the Bigscreen using the Wii U as my media box and then pull up a VC game or the internet on the small screen at the same time. This should not interrupt my movie at all, as a matter of fact, I should be able to watch a movie on the big screen and actively search the Netflix database for other things to watch later/next at the same time, but I think that's more of an app issue than a Nintendo issue. We should be able to use Wii Mode on the big screen and still access Wii U features on the small screen.

2. TVii 2.0 - for realz this time.
- as it currently is, TVii is pretty pointless for me. It's no secret to that a lot of people used their consoles as media machines connected to their living room TV's, so let's kill 2 birds with 1 stone and turn the Wii U into an actual cable box, or a cable box companion. Plug the cable directly into it. now my TV guide should show up on the small screen, which would also be like a Universal remote to put Harmony to shame. Now I should have touch screen access to program DVR, change channels and skim channel discriptions all while watching TV. That's not to mention the TVii Chat you could do with the built in camera and touchscreen keyboard to keep most of the current TVii features.

3. Group Chat

- Miiverse is like a message board and the Chat program is completely separate from everything else. I actually still haven't used it, so I'm not even sure what it is exactly. But you should be able to party chat on the small screen while doing whatever else on the system. During a game, during Netflix, internet browsing, or just by itself. Shouldn't matter, group chat should be built in at the OS Level. Just like parental controls to limit viewing of other users. Let the parental safe guards do what they do, don't limit the hardware and software from potentially being great because you feel parents won't use the parental locks.

4. Universal Account System
- It's ridiculous in this day and age, with all the account based systems that came out and succeeded before the Wii even came out for us to still be stuck with a hardware attached system. Everyone that buys from the shop should have the option of creating a Club Nintendo Account(or joining the Family account) that your hardware and Digital purchased software will automatically register to. Now regardless of what Nintendo system I am on, Wii U, 3DS, Nintendo Infinity, or the DS Gameboy Deluxe, I will always have access to my purchased software.
Doing this could also allow me to access my account at a friends house on their Nintendo hardware were they would now be "demoing" software that may lead to them also making a purchase or because I bought a new system, or a replacement system and want to have access to all my stuff that I already purchased. It all makes too much sense for Nintendo to not have thought of this already, so I don't know why we still have the old outdated before it existed system that we still have to this day.

5. Spec Bump
- Low wattage is great and all, if you plan on making this a portable system at some point, and we all appreciate that you are looking out for our PG&E bill with system that clocks in at 60watts or less... but sometimes we need more power. The Wifi card that Nintendo uses is often really slow, which causes downloads to be slow and connection speeds to be slow. The low wattage CPU may be why load times are pretty slow. some of the features I suggested above are probably not fully realizable, atleast not how we imagine them, because there likely isn't enough RAM either, and that is probably also kinda slow. It would also be nice to enable 2+ Wii U Gamepads at the same time, but it's likely not happening sooner due to limitations in the wireless connection hardware.
So while low wattage may be a selling point to some, I'm gonna guess that the 10's of millions of consumers out there that own PS3's and/or X360's don't really give all that much of a damn.

I also realize how important it is for Nintendo to shave a few cents here and a few cents there, but the sacrifices they made for cost at this point were hardly worth install base they gained. A Wii U that was fully loaded and given near full potential of ability would easy have sold more than it has now @ a higher price of say $399.99. Limited implementation of features, or lack there of has kinda taken the latest gimmick and made it fall rather short of expectations. I really feel like a few more fully realized ideas could have made a whole world of difference for the Wii U.

and on that note, I would love to hear everyone else's thoughts and suggestions on the subject. What would you improve upon? what would you have changed? added? taken away? done completely different? or not at all?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 03:16:47 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Re: Fixing the Wii U - Top 5 Things you would implement/change/improve
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 01:21:32 AM »
which would also be like a Universal remote to put Harmony to shame.

So much this.  Why the hell not, Nintendo?  I'd love to use my Wii U Tablet to control my entire freaking entertainment center.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 01:28:09 AM »
BnM listed most of my ideas. The biggest thing I want to see is more integration between the 3DS and Wii U. A universal account system is a well needed service for Nintendo's systems. Although it might not be considered a revision, I would love to see Steam-style discounts on the eShop this black Friday. This would tie into a universal system account. Lastly, a revision of the Gamepad is a must going forward with the Wii U. 
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 01:29:28 AM »
[Insert "moar gamez!11" comment here]
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 01:40:16 AM »
Sell Wii games on the eShop and allow Facebook and Twitter integration into the potential unified account system between the 3DS and Wii U.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 02:08:17 AM »
Insert post backfiring evidence here:
Remind me to re-read this thread when I buy the game, hopefully in November.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 02:48:00 AM »
1. GamePad battery life should last longer than 37 minutes. I remember when Nintendo actually cared about battery life. Those were the days.

2. Internal hard disc drive because Nintendo doesn't recommend flash memory when expanding the storage yet includes it in the console. Right. It's cheaper and easier for consumers. Sure, Nintendo would have to pay licensing fees. Be a friend and take care of that.

3. USB 3.1. It's 2013.

4. Folders. 3DS has them.

5. Universal support for in-game chat. The GamePad's microphone should work as an input for in-game chat.

6. Faster loading. In Steve Jobs' biography, there's a part where Jobs asks a Macintosh engineer, "If it could save a person's life, would you find a way to shave 10 second off the boot time?" That's how I wish Nintendo would approach boot and load times. It isn't meant to save lives, but if you act like it does, you end up with a better product.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 11:18:02 AM »
As someone on the outside looking in.

1. Folders, The 3DS has them and as you get more games and apps sluggish though the menu gets annoying.
2.USB3 its 2013 and the other consoles and nearly every major device has them.
3. Unified Nintendo Network accounts
4. Eshop Online store
5. Video Capture.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 02:19:59 PM »
which would also be like a Universal remote to put Harmony to shame.

So much this.  Why the hell not, Nintendo?  I'd love to use my Wii U Tablet to control my entire freaking entertainment center.

If we went back to the Wii U reveal, I think that was one of my most anticipated features that I was hoping Nintendo would implement. It sounds like such a minor thing, but if I can pick up my Wii Umote and control everything, chances are that I'll also play a game or use it for something else while I'm holding it. It would become a central part of my whole livingroom entertainment experience. and I think that is HUGE.

1. GamePad battery life should last longer than 37 minutes. I remember when Nintendo actually cared about battery life. Those were the days.

This is another example of them trying to shave a few cents here and there. They have addressed it now (in Japan) but it's still not the standard pack in like it should be.

2. Internal hard disc drive because Nintendo doesn't recommend flash memory when expanding the storage yet includes it in the console. Right. It's cheaper and easier for consumers. Sure, Nintendo would have to pay licensing fees. Be a friend and take care of that.
External HDD is fine, but multiple SD card slots in addition to that would have also been acceptable to me. That way we can expand the storage at our own convenience as SD cards get cheaper and cheaper. start w/ a 64GB card for $30 and a during a sale later add another 64GB card for $20 more. That is already more space than most people will need and no bulky added on attachments.

3. USB 3.1. It's 2013.
seriously. a few cents more Nintendo. just a few cents more.
it makes a difference to more than just those that would notice it.

4. Folders. 3DS has them.

This would be nice. being able to organize instead of page after page of scrolling . seems simple enough to implement. not sure why it wasn't there on day1

5. Universal support for in-game chat. The GamePad's microphone should work as an input for in-game chat.
I think I mentioned something along those lines too. so I fully agree. Go Big or Go Home Nintendo.
at the very least utilize the tech you have in the system to it's full potential. Just because you didn't personally have a need for it in your first Mario game doesn't mean it won't be useful to everyone else. Future Proof please.

6. Faster loading. In Steve Jobs' biography, there's a part where Jobs asks a Macintosh engineer, "If it could save a person's life, would you find a way to shave 10 second off the boot time?" That's how I wish Nintendo would approach boot and load times. It isn't meant to save lives, but if you act like it does, you end up with a better product.

I brought that up too, so nothing more to add there.
Other than I don't get how Nintendo can spends 100's of millions developing custom chips secretly for years only to produce a chip that is the equivalent of something that came out 5 years ago only now they've stripped out a few "unnecessary" features.... But it runs at 1/8th of a watt!!! ...yay.

As someone on the outside looking in.

3. Unified Nintendo Network accounts

It baffles us all how Nintendo managed to think right around this one.... I guess it just made too much sense.
or it didn't allow for the repurchasing of the same games over and over again, which is obviously what they want us to do by seeing how they are handing the VC content across systems. such short sightedness.

4. Eshop Online store

I believe they said they were making that happen at some point, but it would be nice to see a game advertised somewhere and then be able to go on my phone, log-in online and purchase it on the spot and since my system is attached to my UNIVERSAL account, it would have downloaded while I was out and be ready to play when I got home. How nice would that have been?

5. Video Capture.

I know PS4 is doing this, and I'm sure it would be a fun feature for sharing. Technically, it's only a software update away, so why not allow it if the hardware is capable?
I'd rather Nintendo be the reactionary "Me Too!!" than the eccentric "We looked into it, but decided it wasn't for us, so we went another way... oh look, you can switch the hats!!! isn't that better!!"
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 02:42:50 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 02:44:55 PM »
I think it just needs to be a comtemporary product.  The lack of a universal account is just ridiculous for 2013.  Hell it was something the Wii should have done in 2006.

But the hardware has to be more powerful and you can't do that without pretty much canning the whole console and starting over fresh.  Maybe they could make some 32X-ish adapter to beef up the specs but is that really the concept to copy?  From a marketing perspective it would make the most sense to push a all-in-one model as if it was a new console and just offer the upgrade to existing Wii U owners as a mail order or something.  Or at least include backwards compatibility with the Wii U.

But then who honestly owns a Wii U that Nintendo should be so concerned with offending?  The console is flopping so it isn't like tons of people own one and those that do are more likely to be diehard Nintendo nuts that would gladly buy any new product from Nintendo anyway.  They might grumble but are they going to stop buying Nintendo products? Probably not.  Backwards compatibility means that the Gamepad has to still be included but its intended purpose was to be a marketing gimmick like the Wii Remote and it has flopped in that regard.  It's an expensive thing to include, hasn't demonstrated itself as particularly essential and has shitty battery life.  If Nintendo is starting over anyway they might as well ditch it and not bother with backwards compatibility.  Or the new console could support it for Wii U games but not be included with every console and be treated like an optional accessory.

Nintendo needs a modern online setup and hardware that will allow for multiplatform development with the PS4 and XB1.  Nintendo also needs to beef up their dev teams so they can make games in a timely manner.  There is no excuse for Nintendo to work out the growing pains that every other videogame company in the entire world figured out six years ago.  And the Wii name is for an audience that has given up on the Wii fad and gone to smartphones.  They're gone so forget about them and the Wii name is poison to the audience that actually will still support dedicated videogame consoles so get rid of it.

Damn it, just START OVER!  To me this is like asking what Nintendo could have done to improve the Virtual Boy.  Both systems had serious shortcomings with the hardware itself and you can't fix that after the fact.  If this Christmas doesn't turn things around, aim to get a replacement out for later 2014.  Hell, use Wii U ports to pad the lineup if you have to.  They're new to almost everyone you're trying to sell your new console to anyway.  Take the Wii U games in development and move them to a new console.  If the hardware builds on the GC/Wii/Wii U architecture it shouldn't be hard to move them over anyway.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 03:14:41 PM »
With scalable engines, Nintendo doesn't necessarily need hardware comparable to PS4. Depending on who you ask, PS4 is noticeably more powerful than One. That's probably not going to matter. The hardware in both are getting outclassed by mid-tier PCs today. If you want to play the hardware spec game, it's already over.

What Nintendo needs to do is tell developers what they're planning at the earliest stage possible. If they're going to put a six inch screen on a controller, they better goddamn tell the people making games about it. Still, that goes for the console as a whole. Show it to the development community. According to, I think, Bethesda, that's one of the main reasons Wii U isn't getting their support. They just didn't keep anyone in the loop. Nintendo has to stop being so afraid of people stealing their ideas because they're going to get stolen eventually. Sony found a way to quasi-mimic the GamePad, but you have to buy an entirely different and independent piece of hardware to do so. It's not the same thing by a long shot so Nintendo would have still had the edge. It's integrated into the console's entire ecosystem and everyone who owns the console would have one. Third party support is in shambles in large part because almost no one knew Wii U was a thing until it was too late to do anything about it.

Nintendo shaves cost in the most asinine ways. They'll put more expensive smaller capacity solid state memory into the console when it'd probably cost the same if they paid the licensing fees and included a regular decent sized hard disc drive. I could buy an external HDD, but if they want to push the eshop, stop putting obstacles in front of people. That's a problem that shouldn't be a problem. Why Nintendo thought an 8GB version of the console should even exist is beyond me?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 03:46:44 PM »
I think one thing Nintendo needs to learn is that it's not always who does it first, but who does it better.

I think if Nintendo had taken the time & budgeted the cost to do it right, it wouldn't matter if everyone knew they were doing it or not, because they wouldn't be able to do it better.

The Gamepad in itself is a great idea, it was just executed at with the bare minimum as it's goal.
So much potential squandered towards the singular goal of making the video streaming instantaneous, which is great, but ..., there has to be more than that.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 04:25:39 PM »
To be fair to Sony the Vita/PS4 can do what the Wii U even when its away from the house. Plus  alot of games being PS4/PS3/Vita are cross-buy which locks you into Sony's hardware ecosystem which is much more important than being locked into one for a console.

I don't doubt that Nintendo didn't tell third parties what they were doing. I remember hearing that guys who worked at Nintendo's studio's didn't know about the Wii U until after the E3 2011 reveal and got dev kits shortly after that. Also the Wii U and 3DS were developed in different sections until recently. (To be fair the same could be officially said for Microsoft until last month)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 04:34:20 PM »
If Nintendo would pull their heads out of their own asses, they could have used the 3DS as a way to push connectivity with their upcoming Wii U, as sort of a Trojan Horse, if you will.

Unfortunately Nintendo just now finished it's new HQ that puts everyone in the same building and unites the handheld and console R&D teams so that they can actually work together, this way Nintendo can continue the trend of having ideas that seem ahead of its time with execution of a generation (at least) behind it's time.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 05:56:47 PM »
Let's just ignore the hardware for a second here because in a vacuum it doesn't really matter.  The SNES and Genesis mopped the floor with the 3DO's butt.

From the consumer perspective what matters is games.  The problem with the Wii U is that is has squat for games.  Now I believe that the hardware is partially to blame for that but that's an indirect cause.  The public is not buying a Wii U because it has a very weak lineup of games.  So what needs to happen is that third party support has to improve and Nintendo themselves has to release games more frequently.  If somehow that can be accomplished the Wii U can have outdated hardware and shitty controller battery life and slow loading and an archaic user account setup and get away with it.

So how does Nintendo beef up their development and attract third party support for the Wii U and do so within a timeframe where the general public will not have already written off the Wii U and wouldn't notice any improvement?  The timeframe is the part I just don't think is feasible.  Nintendo can hire more devs and throw some moneyhats around for some big third party games but the effects of this would be longterm.  If they started today it would probably be at least two years before we saw improvement.  By then the Wii U would be a three year old console with a reputation for having only a handful of worthwhile games a year.  What chance would it have to bounce back?  Might as well put that effort towards the launch of a new console that can make a good impression right from the start.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 05:59:26 PM by Ian Sane »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2013, 06:26:11 PM »
We all know they need more games & better 3rd party relations, but that's not what I'm referring to in this thread.

and the reason for that is because then we would be retreading the same arguments we've been having for almost a year now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2013, 06:54:55 PM »
I'd rather Nintendo be the reactionary "Me Too!!" than the eccentric "We looked into it, but decided it wasn't for us, so we went another way... oh look, you can switch the hats!!! isn't that better!!"
While I agree (even if I'd never personally use video capture ever), I'm going to be honest, I've been playing through Find Mii I and II specifically for the different hats. It's kind of addicting.

Also, I just realized that I listed six things instead of five like you mentioned in the thread title. I'm a loner, Dottie. A Rebel.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2013, 07:22:02 PM »
Maybe I should rephrase that to say "a little more reactionary instead of just being eccentric"

Offline the asylum

• Score: -28
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2013, 07:39:19 PM »
1. power. power power power power power. It's been made abundantly clear that third parties don't give a **** about gimmick controllers.

2. put EAD to work on real projects. Real projects meaning not **** like Wii Party.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2013, 09:27:03 PM »
My top 5?

1. Wifi that works. 

Some people aren't having problems, but there are a significant number of people who are. I have a CS degree, and enough networking experience to go well past basic troubleshooting. Our Wii U can't hold a connection for more than 5 minutes without dropping in and out. For a console that supposedly targets a more casual market, this is doubly problematic.

4-5.  See 1.
NNID: ejamer

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2013, 09:39:35 PM »
Insert post backfiring evidence here:
Remind me to re-read this thread when I buy the game, hopefully in November.

Quiet, you. :P
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2013, 10:38:04 PM »
Better battery for the gamepad.

More VC support.

Better promotion of indie titles

Optimized OS to allow more RAM for games.

Third party parity standards enforced by rewarding parity with promotion, commercials, technical support, and publishing incentives.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2013, 01:37:53 PM »
To repeat again but where is the Miiverse/eshop website and Application. I was thinking about this but they told us that an eshop website was in the works around the time Mario 3D Land came out.

Its been what three years so far and nothing has come to fruition of this feature yet. Now were being strung along about a potential application. Its odd that Nintendo can't get this somewhat simple **** right when both Sony and Microsoft not only will have online shops but both will have applications out that pretty much mirror their new systems.

My only other complaint is where is the marketing. It seems like Nintendo hasn't kicked it into gear when were already seeing ad's for Xbone and PS4.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2013, 02:58:53 PM »
I wasn't aware that the Wii U has been out for three years.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2013, 04:39:25 PM »
Turn the 3DS into a portable Gamepad that can play Wii U games anywhere.