Author Topic: Former EA COO: Nintendo will leave hardware production eventually  (Read 7869 times)

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
According to an interview with GamesIndustry International, EA's former COO Bing Gordon seems to be under the impression that Nintendo will stay in software mainly after the Wii U is released.

"I think Nintendo's already on track to become primarily a software company.

"We saw that with Sega back in the day; Sega made some missteps and became primarily a software company. Nintendo hasn't really made missteps, Nintendo probably has better creative talent and better leadership now than Sega did," Gordon said.

He seems to think Miyamoto will focus more on software because when they are completely focused on creating games, the final product ends up being worth more than $60.

"So far, when Miyamoto makes a perfect game, in his career he makes games worth $200--it's worth buying a system for.

"I can imagine a day when Nintendo wonders if they ought to take some of their best games and make them apps," Gordon said.

Article Here

While I can see Nintendo eventually bowing out of the console space and shifting focus primarily to software, I don't see Wii U being their last console, and I find their comparison to Sega a bit dubious.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Former EA COO: Nintendo will leave hardware production eventually
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 07:50:59 AM »
Nintendo won't bow out because they like controlling their games.

So he really has no reasoning behind his statement. He is saying they will leave hardware because they are successful and smart, but will want to focus only on software?
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 07:59:07 AM »
I don't see how anyone can make a serious comparison between Nintendo and Sega in this regard. Think what you will about he Wii but it was still successful. I'll entertain this comparison as soon as Nintendo releases a string of failed products.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 08:33:48 AM »
This seems pretty crazy and incorrect. Is he no longer at EA because he no longer has any idea how the game biz works?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 08:39:26 AM »
He still works with EA sorta, he works for a venture capitalist that currently invests in EA.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 08:41:10 AM »
Sounds about right.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 08:50:52 AM »
I'm going to hazard a guess based on EA's "Digital Future NOW" mindset right now and the fact that he mentioned "Apps" and say that he's referring to Nintendo going software-only because he doesn't think there's a point to specialized hardware after the Wii U.  I'll bet if you asked him about Sony and Microsoft he'd say the same thing.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Tamazoid

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 11:05:00 AM »
I doubt it will happen in the next decade or two

Besides the Virtual boy I don't think Nintendo has ever had an unprofitable console. Sega never completely reached the mainstream market popularity they coveted. The killed any momentum they had with the Mega drive with the toxic add-ons and then launched the disaster of the Saturn. Finally when they began to turn around their fortunes with the Dreamcast it was too late, they had bled far too much money.

Nintendo still have their warchest from the recent DS and Wii years that they have hardly touched. even if they go through the next two generations emulating Gamecube like success they will still be profitable enough to continue on.
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 11:14:28 AM »
I think until there is no proprietary input, that yes, all hardware makers will eventually turn software only. But that will never ever, ever happen.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 12:28:02 PM »
If anyone will bow out first it will be Microsoft.

Sony has to much pride in the game now.
Nintendo this is there bread and butter it be like Apple Deciding to no longer make Macs.

Microsoft this is a conduit for them more then anything else.  If they can find a better way they'll just migrate on.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 01:33:07 PM »

Nintendo this is there bread and butter it be like Apple Deciding to no longer make Macs.

Microsoft this is a conduit for them more then anything else.  If they can find a better way they'll just migrate on.

Eh Microsoft is changing the xbox to be more than a console. If they are successful in the whole owning the living room than they wont be leaving anytime soon.

Sony wont give up because the Games divsion is one of their fee profitable (which is pretty sad). I honestly don't expect to be here in the next 5-8 years if they don't get their stuff together.

I think Nintendo is ina odd position. They only have two core bussines (handheld and console) and both are being dimonshed somewhat. Consoles in general are becoming less relevant in Japan and handhelds everywhere else. Though they still have a ton of money and a lot of good franchises.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 01:44:51 PM »
I would find this fairly plausible if the assumption is that gaming would go the way of on live style streaming services (get access to Nintendo classic catalog for only $9.99/month!), but with the ISPs doing what they can to introduce data caps to people's Internet service, I believe we're still a long way away from digital-only gaming being the main means of supplying gaming content.

I think Nintendo will still be in the hardware business until then, or if Nintendo's properties eventually don't have the perceived value they have today.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 02:47:37 PM »
I would find this fairly plausible if the assumption is that gaming would go the way of on live style streaming services (get access to Nintendo classic catalog for only $9.99/month!), but with the ISPs doing what they can to introduce data caps to people's Internet service, I believe we're still a long way away from digital-only gaming being the main means of supplying gaming content.

I think Nintendo will still be in the hardware business until then, or if Nintendo's properties eventually don't have the perceived value they have today.

I think this concept, at least as the SOLE way to gain access to videogames, movies, music, etc. is only popular because it's new.  Imagine never being able to own any videogame.  That's what this is.  Nintendo decides that some game that debuted on that service is to be discontinued and it is gone for GOOD.  I think the general public just hasn't thought this through and probably needs to face the reality of it before they change their minds.  Nobody really wants to have so little freedom as a consumer.  Something like Netflix comes across as very convenient largely because I can still go to Wal-Mart and buy the DVD.  We have both options still so no one is at the mercy of Netflix... yet.  The idea of streaming-only videogames will be popular for a few years until some games start disappearing and there will be a massive backlash.

Someday Nintendo will not make hardware because someday Nintendo won't even exist.  It just might be a hundred years from now.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 03:05:00 PM »
I think I remember Nintendo saying that the day Nintendo stops making hardware is the day that they step out of the gaming industry. I don't think that is happening any time soon.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Online ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 03:11:19 PM »
See, what this exec doesn't understand is Nintendo is going to try to become the monopolistic marketplace to get content. Its not happening all at once, its a slow drawn out process. They want to displace computers and other consoles, but it probably can't happen for 2 generations. Its a long term posturing.

Its like playing a really good game of Risk. Iv gotten good at Risk without actually taking continents at the first part of the game. Some would say that's crucial. But if you do it right, you can dominate and control a game from the beginning by using everyone's typical strategies against them. However, as the name of the game implies....its risky.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2012, 03:23:57 PM »
Someday Nintendo will not make hardware because someday Nintendo won't even exist.  It just might be a hundred years from now.

Ian Sane speaks the truth people.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2012, 03:52:36 PM »
Eventually video game hardware is going to have 10, 20, or more year lifespans. This doesn't mean companies like Nintendo will stop producing hardware permanently, but for a long period of time they won't need to. During these long console lifespans their attention can be focused entirely on software production.

If this is what the Former COO meant, then he has a good point. Otherwise, he's an idiot.
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2012, 04:37:43 PM »

Ian Sane speaks the truth people.
I don't know.  They have already made it 122+ years.  There must be a lot to Leaving Luck to Heaven.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2012, 04:38:14 PM »

Eh Microsoft is changing the xbox to be more than a console. If they are successful in the whole owning the living room than they wont be leaving anytime soon.

Sony wont give up because the Games divsion is one of their fee profitable (which is pretty sad). I honestly don't expect to be here in the next 5-8 years if they don't get their stuff together.

I wouldn't use the terms "games" and "profitable" in the same sentence when talking about Sony considering that division is losing money for them (though the company as a whole is losing money too).

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2012, 04:47:49 PM »
Someday the Golden Gate bridge will fall down, someday you'll be dead.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2012, 04:49:59 PM »
Because I'll be on the bridge when it falls?
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2012, 04:53:01 PM »
I wouldn't use the terms "games" and "profitable" in the same sentence when talking about Sony considering that division is losing money for them (though the company as a whole is losing money too).

Maybe lately due to all the costs that Vita has incurred, but until recently the PlayStation division was allegedly propping up all the other Sony electronics divisions (which have been monetary black holes for quite some time now).  One of Kaz Hirai's directives as Sony President, apparently, is cutting all that deadweight off the PlayStation division (which is why you don't hear Sony pushing 3D anymore, which was an effort to prop up the TV division).
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Online ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2012, 05:15:06 PM »
nintendo could develop molecules that when looked under a microscope spell Nintendo, they are a self sustaining organism that lasts millions and millions of years and are designed to withstand a universal implosion....
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 05:16:44 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2012, 05:26:30 PM »

Now, why should I take the word of someone who loves poop tacos?  This means the golden gate bridge is indestructible AND I am immortal.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2012, 05:29:15 PM »

I think this concept, at least as the SOLE way to gain access to videogames, movies, music, etc. is only popular because it's new.  Imagine never being able to own any videogame.  That's what this is.  Nintendo decides that some game that debuted on that service is to be discontinued and it is gone for GOOD.  I think the general public just hasn't thought this through and probably needs to face the reality of it before they change their minds.  Nobody really wants to have so little freedom as a consumer.  Something like Netflix comes across as very convenient largely because I can still go to Wal-Mart and buy the DVD.  We have both options still so no one is at the mercy of Netflix... yet.  The idea of streaming-only videogames will be popular for a few years until some games start disappearing and there will be a massive backlash.

I'm inclined to agree with what you said, except for the supposed popularity of streaming video games.  I do think it's what publishers would really like (that and abolishing used game sales), but I don't know a single person who will choose streaming or digital copies over physical.