Author Topic: WiiWare Games Worthy of Buying  (Read 7390 times)

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
WiiWare Games Worthy of Buying
« on: May 30, 2011, 12:55:49 AM »
I searched the forums and couldn't find a topic where I might get some good answers:

I've been interested in possibly taking the plunge on some WiiWare games. It's difficult to determine which games are worth the time/money, especially since most of these games are a minimum of 800-1000 Wii Points and it seems like the gems are covered by a flood of crappy games.  Could anyone provide me some games that would be considered worth the price?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: WiiWare Games Worthy of Buying
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 01:02:19 AM »
Let's see, I'm going to try to do this without turning my Wii on to see what WiiWare games I've purchased...

- World of Goo
- Mega Man 10 (I didn't care much for MM9, but had a lot of fun with MM10)
- All the Bit.Trip games except perhaps Fate
- Fluidity
- MDK 2 (haven't played it yet myself, but the game does have some critical acclaim)

Lit's also an interesting experience, though I can only recommend it if you like trial & error puzzle-solving.  Swords & Soldiers is another interesting rhythm-esque 2D Strategy game, but I found it pretty frustrating.  Tales of Monkey Island is an excellent series of episodic Adventure games, but I can't recommend the WiiWare version when the PC version is considerably cheaper and better.

I get the feeling I'm missing a WiiWare game or two I've purchased that I remember liking.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 01:05:02 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 01:10:53 AM »
I'm not a fan of WiiWare meself, most of the games I have played on it are not good. Here are a few that I would recommend, click the titles for the NWR review.

Fluidity
An exploratory adventure game where you control a pool of water to collect Rainbow Drops. It's like a more laid-back Metroid with no combat.

Mega Man 10
This is a good action platformer even if you haven't played the NES games, although it may feel a little archaic if you aren't into a retro style. I'm recommending this over Mega Man 9 as I feel that 9 has awful level design.

ExciteBike World Rally
This is a remake of the NES ExciteBike and it's pretty solid, though light on content. The real draw of it is the track editor, so if you aren't into creating, then this game isn't for you.

You can look over this topic for some more suggestions from others:

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=29203.msg544228#msg544228

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 02:55:24 PM »
Let's see here...

I'm a big advocate for Swords & Soldiers - I know it's not everybody's cup of tea, but as someone who generally struggles with RTS, I found this to actually be very approachable and accessible. Also, there's a lot in there, so you're certainly getting good value for your money.

On the platforming front, your options for good'uns are plentiful. There's the aforementioned Mega Man revivals, though I agree that MM10 is a significant improvement over MM9. Outside of retro stuff, there are the two LostWinds games - if you're going to play just one, go for the sequel, Winter of the Melodias, which is superbly designed and visually striking. In that vein, you could also check out NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits, another puzzle platformer that shares many of the same qualities as the LostWinds titles. You might also try a really unique one called And Yet It Moves, as well as Toki Tori, one of the best launch games for the service that may have been sadly overlooked. Speaking of unique and sadly overlooked, definitely pick up Fluidity/Hydroventure. Oh, and don't forget Cave Story. Finally, moving away from the 2D side, I'd also recommend Jett Rocket.

Naturally, we can't properly discuss WiiWare without giving due dividends to the Bit.Trip series. I personally found Beat, Void, Runner and Flux to all be highly enjoyable, with RUNNER being the standout amongst them. Don't know about the other two. Maybe the upcoming 3DS compilation is the way to go.

What else? Most would give World of Goo the coveted accolade of 'Best WiiWare Game', and I have to say, the argument for it is compelling, what with the interesting physics-based gameplay and excellent production values. If you're into Bomberman, you're unlikely to do better than Bomberman Blast. There's also a slew of great puzzle games, including Art Style: Orbient, Art of Balance (incredibly addictive)and the underrated You, Me and the Cubes. Last but not least, I recently bought FAST: Racing League; I've had hardly any time to play it, but my initial forays have been positive.

It's a shame that the rubbish has coloured people's perception of WiiWare, because when you start to dig in deep, there are some true stand-outs.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 03:09:32 PM »
Cave Story...I knew I'd forgotten one.  The game's not quite my thing (I find the game kind of irritating to play), but it is a very well-received game and probably worth checking out if you're into Metroid-style games.  However, given that we're going to get a 3DS version, I don't know if I'd recommend the WiiWare version anymore.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 03:23:56 AM »
I'm surprised nobody brought up the ReBirth games. Castlevania ReBirth is amazing, but short (and gets hard quick).

MM9 is great, but a little too hard (still have to beat it--Wily gets me every time). MM10 is much better, more balanced, though it's the same kind of game. I really love NyxQuest; I just replayed it a few months ago. There's a simplicity there that you don't often see. I'm also going to recommend Dive: the Medes Island Secret. While it gets tough in places, it's basically a side-scrolling version of Endless Ocean and it's surprisingly long.

Cave Story is tough. It's on WiiWare, but it's also on DSiWare, and it's ALSO coming to 3DS with newer, nicer graphics. The DSiWare and WiiWare games are the same except for the graphics. It's an excellent game, but you have to decide how much graphical pinache matters to you. For me, I think having it in a portable format would be best for me. I might actually beat it!

And although it's not WiiWare, I'm going to recommend Shantae: Risky's Revenge for DSiWare, a game I still play today. ;-)
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 12:01:56 PM »
I would say My Life As a King but, its way to short even with all the DLC.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 01:44:01 PM »
One glaring omission so far is Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People and its sequels. Funny adventure games.

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 01:57:04 PM »
One glaring omission so far is Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People and its sequels. Funny adventure games.

I somewhat agree, but the Sam and Max seasons from Telltale resonate with me so much more because of that universe. While I thought the first episode of Strong Bad was reasonably fun, I'm largely apathetic towards the Homestar Runner series, and I reckon it would be harder to recommend to people who feel the same way or worse about those characters. Sam & Max has a way better story and cast, in my opinion, and when that's as huge a part of the game as it is in point 'n' click adventures, that's an important distinction.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 01:59:16 PM »

I wouldn't recommend any Telltale games on WiiWare, even ones I like.  You're just getting royally ripped off buying the episodes of a given series individually off WiiWare when you can literally buy them for half the price on PC (or even less!  Telltale's always putting their stuff up for sale on their website) and get a superior experience due to lack of the necessary WiiWare compression.

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 02:02:56 PM »
I wouldn't recommend any Telltale games on WiiWare, even ones I like.  You're just getting royally ripped off buying the episodes of a given series individually off WiiWare when you can literally buy them for half the price on PC (or even less!  Telltale's always putting their stuff up for sale on their website) and get a superior experience due to lack of the necessary WiiWare compression.

Very sound point. During one of the great Steam sales, I got the full season of Tales Of Monkey Island for £3.50. To get it on WiiWare, it would cost me exactly ten times that amount, and reviews indicated that they were sloppily done there.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 05:46:45 PM »
I've heard glowing reviews about Bit. Trip. Runner. and Fluidity, and I enjoyed playing them, but can anyone tell me if the game fleshes out beyond what the demos provide?  Bit.Trip.Runner. seemed like something I might be better off waiting for the 3DS compilation.

Already got World of Goo on PC, and it's an awesome game, but not worth owning twice :p

Cave Story intrigues me.  Maybe I'll delve into that.

Anyone try any of the virtual console arcade games and come away with a good experience, or suggest any virtual console games beyond the obvious ones?  I'm always curious to try some NeoGeo, TurboGraphix 16, Master System, Commodore 64, or virtual console arcade games, but never am able to find too much on them to make an informed decision.

Appreciate the replies so far! Definitely getting an idea of where I might invest some of my wii points.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 11:26:52 PM »
I'll second recommendations for the bit.trip series, Lost Winds and Cave Story.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 10:34:40 PM »
YMMV, but I rather enjoyed Blaster Master Overdrive.  Doesn't hold a candle to the original, though.

I'll echo the recommendations for World of Goo, Cave Story, and Tales of Monkey Island.  I'd agree that it would be better to try ToMI on the PC, however.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 12:35:08 AM »
Blaster Master Overdrive was a frustrating game. Fun, but it had problems, mainly because of the controls. We did a whole Newscast about it one time.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 10:37:47 AM »
Blaster Master Overdrive was a frustrating game. Fun, but it had problems, mainly because of the controls. We did a whole Newscast about it one time.
I don't think I've listen to that one I'll have to dig it up.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2011, 12:07:55 PM »
For WiiWare reviews there's Nintendo Life, they review practically everything on the service.

I really like Contra Rebirth, it's not as hard as a regular contra game but that's mostly due to generous checkpointing and infinite continues (you always go back to the checkpoint on a continue though).

Also Onslaught was my first Wii FPS and I've adjusted to that style of controls (tiny bounding box, camera does not follow the cursor outside of turning). It's a nice mass combat game with precision shooting needed for fast kills.

Offline Nintendad

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2011, 06:46:35 PM »
I'd echo many of the games already posted.

Nyx Quest is a nice relaxing game.

I bought all 5 of the Monkey Island games and enjoyed them all. I do realize you can get them cheaper at other places but I'm not a PC gamer.

Rage of the Gladiator: This is the only demo I've tried that I then bought afterwards. If you like the PunchOut series, you'll probably enjoy this. Same set up, only set in mid-evil times. Plus, you don't have to use motion control if you don't want.

World of Goo...fun and hilarious.

I've bought a few more but those are probably my favs.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 03:35:52 AM »
Swords and Soldiers is great fun.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2011, 10:11:17 AM »
Don't have much to add to the list, but one great party game for Wiiware is Jungle Speed. It is a really addicting card game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungle_Speed

Also Bonzai Barber is a fun little game if you don't mind a quick pick up and play game.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 10:34:20 AM by GoldenPhoenix »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2011, 10:55:11 AM »
Don't have much to add to the list, but one great party game for Wiiware is Jungle Speed. It is a really addicting card game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungle_Speed

Also Bonzai Barber is a fun little game if you don't mind a quick pick up and play game.
Fluxx is a game in the similar vein.  Its a lot of fun.  Be interesting on a handheld.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluxx

I actually prefer my card games on a system because their is no rule arguing.  I like Magic Online when it first came out and I like the game itself but, by that time I was just over all the politics and interpretation of playing with people without the hard rules enabled by it being digital.