Author Topic: Samurai Warriors Chronicles  (Read 3433 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Samurai Warriors Chronicles
« on: March 28, 2011, 01:14:53 PM »
Was I the only one crazy enough to buy this game? I'm currently at chapter 6 of part 1, that's not very far into the game. It doesn't feel repetitive yet but I feel like the Opportunity battle skill (refills one musou gauge for two spirit points) is totally overpowered. You use it, attack a bunch of enemies with your musou attack and have already regained those two spirit points so you can use it again immediately... I don't know how much of a difference the initial questions make but I'm playing a female character with Artist as her day job and her battle skill is Opportunity which is game breaking even on Hard.

Well, it doesn't make things too easy as there's still missions popping up all over the battlefield. I've never played a main series Samurai Warriors game, only various spinoffs (Mystic Heroes, DW: Gundam, the demo of DW Strikeforce, DW Advance and now this) but this one seems the least repetitive of them all. I end most missions with around 100 kills between all 4 characters as pretty much all fights are against officers or guards, unlike DW Gundam you don't need to kill endless numbers of grunts before you can capture a fort, the guard captain is out right away and you can just assassinate him. Juggling the multiple characters and objectives also keeps it very fast paced as you have to order them into the right positions while you do another mission so you can switch to them and finish the job within the time limits (or switch to the wounded ones and navigate them to a health pickup). Because of that it doesn't feel as lame to get back to where I was when I fail a mission (again the main comparison is DW Gundam which has endless grunt mashing between officer fights).

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Samurai Warriors Chronicles
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 11:18:39 PM »
Very interesting.  I've never understood the love for these type of games as they seemed like repetitive button mashers, but then I've never actually sat down and played one before.  What you described is a whole lot more than what I expected.  Is the game fun? A strategy beat 'em up sounds a lot better than button mash game #285.  I'm also curious because I wouldn't give this type of game the time of day in front of my tv, but on the go I'm more open to experiment with game types I've never tried before.
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 02:05:22 AM »
It's fun so far but these games are LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG so it might run out of fun before it runs out of content. I've read the suggestion to play on Hard so you actually need to use the tools at your disposal, that's what I'm doing now.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 06:20:13 AM »
I was actually just going to buy this. I've got Street Fighter and was just finding my other game. I tried out another Ridge Racer game and it just wasnt good. :/  So I'm warming more up to this.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 01:33:19 PM »
It has a 57% average on Metacritic, I have no idea why. Did the reviewers play it or did they just look at it and say "another Dynasty Warriors game"? Or, for that matter, did they play it on Easy? Of course it's mindless on Easy.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 06:39:54 PM »
We just posted a review (from a contributor. He seemed to dig it.), but I also have been playing it. I'm not too far, but its fun. I really think the Warriors games are more for me on a handheld, as its repetition and little bit of mindlessness works well while watching TV or something.

I do really dig the alternating between characters and the strategy that is brought out by that. I really like how a lot of the mindless slaughtering is optional, though, as, like KDR said, you're pretty much just killing officers to complete objectives.

Also, it looks freaking awesome in 3D.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Razorkid

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 08:25:08 PM »
I'm going to really have to try this game out in the future.
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 01:45:13 PM »
Since it's easy to miss: There's an interim save feature in the pause menu under the System option. I've seen a review claim that feature doesn't exist.

Also since there were complaints about unskippable dialogues, you can skip anything you've seen already but the game doesn't save what you've seen when the briefing ends so if you shut the system down before it saves again you won't be able to skip the mission briefing. Also I've once replayed a mission and saw a new intro cutscene for it, that was unskippable too.

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 12:54:43 AM »
I think I'm going to be picking this up this weekend. I want a straight up action game and at the moment I don't really have that when I look at the 3DS games I do have. I had Street Fighter but realized I don't want to take the time to really learn a fighting game. Links, canceling, chains, etc are things that just aren't interesting to me. I realized if I want to play online and do well I would have to at some point start thinking about those aspects of the game. DoA:D was another game that peaked my interest but I think in the end I like the idea of playing a fighting game more so then actually playing one (Smash Bros being the exception it seems). I think back in the day I had more fun with the wrestling games then the Street Fighters and Mortal Kombats when I think about it now. 

SWC seems like the fit but I've never played them before. Sword fighting, combos, etc are things I've enjoyed in other games. I'm a fan of the Diablo, Baulder's Gate: Dark Alliance games for example. I guess I could wait until Zelda or Resident Evil come but those fill a different desire.

Offline mr_lakitu

• View Profile
    • mfgamers
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 09:46:27 AM »
I'm kinda interested in this for no reason other than there's sod all else out really and this looks like its *kinda* fun..?
Bread makes you fat? 0,0

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 04:26:31 PM »
Its kinda fun sometimes, and good fun most of the time.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.