Author Topic: Possible Reveal of new Super Smash Bros game at E3!!  (Read 52155 times)

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
Possible Reveal of new Super Smash Bros game at E3!!
« on: May 22, 2011, 08:52:27 PM »
My body is ready

;D ;D

Although our sources within the industry are few and far between, we do have them and what they are telling us is that Nintendo will be showing off the next Super Smash Bros. game at this year’s E3. On top of that, it’s said that it will be shown for the Wii’s successor. We don’t yet know how true this is, so for now we’ll keep this as a rumor. We also would like to know if the game will be shown in video or playable form. Knowing that Kid Icarus: Uprising for the Nintendo 3DS is almost done, it’s quite possible that Masahiro Sakurai has been working on the next Super Smash Bros. title.
Here’s lookin’ at you E3 2011. I’m sure if this turns out to be true, there will be many a happy gamer at this year’s expo.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 08:56:47 PM by lolmonade »

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Reveal of new Super Smash Bros game at E3!!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 08:56:05 PM »
*Faints*
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 08:57:44 PM »
Hope its more like Melee... Hopes it more like Melee... Hope it kills off Sonic... Hope its More Like Melee...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 09:05:34 PM »
Hope its more like Melee... Hopes it more like Melee... Hope it kills off Sonic... Hope its More Like Melee...

You know, I really didn't mind most of the changes from Melee to Brawl.  Slowing it down makes people focus more on mind games than always using the OMG FASTEST character, and things like the smash ball and items can still be turned off, and so can the ridiculous levels if you're tourney-level obsessive.  My only real complaint was the whole tripping thing...I can accept additions meant to make it easier for beginners, but not when they way they do so is to punish someone whose taken the time to become better at the game. 

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 09:14:34 PM »
This is one of those games which Nintendo only releases once per console generation, so that rules out it coming to the Wii (although it is conceivable they could put out a version for the 3DS). If you try to buy Brawl anywhere, it is still pretty much the same price as it was when it was released several years ago. The demand for it is just that high...
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 09:20:44 PM »

You know, I really didn't mind most of the changes from Melee to Brawl.  Slowing it down makes people focus more on mind games than always using the OMG FASTEST character, and things like the smash ball and items can still be turned off, and so can the ridiculous levels if you're tourney-level obsessive.  My only real complaint was the whole tripping thing...I can accept additions meant to make it easier for beginners, but not when they way they do so is to punish someone whose taken the time to become better at the game. 
If you look back on here you'll notice I was super super excited for Brawl.  I actually didn't like Melee to much till a played brawl.  Then I like Melee better after going back to it.  Melee just feels better and more polished to me.  I can't really cite specific examples of why but it does which is counter-intuitive to me because on Paper Brawl should be the clearly superior game.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 09:40:02 PM »
I was very happy with Brawl because it got slowed the hell down. But all I care for now is a blanced as possible fighter, items or no items, with good online! I mean there is no reason why Snake should have tilts that rival fully charged smashes from other characters, big and slow should really mean something when power is concerned. It shouldn't be near impossible for a bowser or ganon player to face a metaknight of equal skill level. Some characters just had way more of everything than others.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 10:22:08 PM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 09:48:41 PM »
I was very happy with Braw' because it got slowed the hell down. But all I care for now is a blanced as possibly fighter...

Agreed.

Also, of the three, Brawl is the most balanced of them. There is room for improvement, as pointed out with Snake, but its much better than the first (Captain Falcon>>>Jigglypuff) and Melee (Marth>>>Bowser) which had some regular chasms in balance between fighters.

I'd love to see another entry with more characters and balance as its focus.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 09:59:04 PM »
I liked the slower speed of SSBBrawl, but everything else about the game was far worse than the first two titles, from the physics to the stages to the style. If this rumour is true, I hope Sora has absolutely no involvement in the game.

Also, of the three, Brawl is the most balanced of them.
I still think the original has the most balanced characters, but if you're talking overall, Brawl has extremely unbalanced items and stages as well.

and things like the smash ball and items can still be turned off, and so can the ridiculous levels if you're tourney-level obsessive.
Just because they can be disabled does not excuse them from being terrible.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 10:05:22 PM »

and things like the smash ball and items can still be turned off, and so can the ridiculous levels if you're tourney-level obsessive.
Just because they can be disabled does not excuse them from being terrible.

I agree that it's no excuse for the levels, but for something like the Smash Ball, why would it bother you so much?  That's the beauty of it being optional, that you can disable it and it won't negatively impact your experience.  Now I feel like for the levels, its less excusable because things like random insta-kills and OBSCENELY LARGE levels are a complete wash and the developers of the game should have known well enough that those things are a nuisance at best and game-breaking at worst.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 10:09:12 PM »
I dropped this in the rumor thread and updated the rumor list.

edit: Just realized this is from April 28th
I wonder why we are just hearing about it.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 10:23:31 PM »
I agree that it's no excuse for the levels, but for something like the Smash Ball, why would it bother you so much?
The Smash Ball doesn't bother me. It's supposed to be a super-powerful attack and the idea to have one item like that is fine by me. But it doesn't stop there. About half the items in the game are instant KOs, and about a third are practically useless. That leaves about 5-6 items that are helpful with a little skill, but not overpowering. That's my issue.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 10:53:47 PM »
I think the only thing Brawl really fucked up was the online experience. I pretty much gave up on it immediately.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 10:59:35 PM »
I think the only thing Brawl really fucked up was the online experience. I pretty much gave up on it immediately.

Yeah, I don't know how I played online for as long as I did. I am so expecting a fantastic online experience for smash 4, just that, balanced characters, dixie kong and ridley and I will play it even longer than brawl. I think I only just stopped playing brawl regularly last year. I will play people in person, but online, no way. Last year at Animeexpo I killed with DK! Dude with Peach must have had  a winning streak of 10 people, all one on one! I showed em whos boss!

RomanceDawn

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 11:03:11 PM »
One on one? I find those games to be the most intense, but also the most draining. The game loses its charm when its so serious.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 11:54:23 PM »
I loved Melee to death, but felt the multiplayer was too fast.  I loved Brawl, but thought the single player was abysmal.  Seriously, Brawl's single player is horrible. 

I hope for more Melee in single player, and more Brawl in multiplayer.  But I also want more character variety.  I know that the moves will basically follow the same formula...but I want new franchises represented well.  And Sonic needs to stay, and Mega Man needs to be added.  Solid Snake needs to disappear forever.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 02:46:52 AM »
Well Melee was shown at E3 2001 when the Gamecube was revealed.

Brawl was shown at E3 2006 when the Wii was revealed.

So we are kind of due for a new Smash Bros to be shown this year since Nintendo has revealed a new Smash Bros every 5 years to go along with the newest home console. 

Actually it's probably been in development for awhile now.  The main team behind Brawl who created all the characters and stages under Sakurai's direction was Game Arts, who's last game released was Lunar: Silver Star Harmony for the PSP in November 2009.  Game Arts is a studio that usually releases at least one game every year and they haven't released anything in over a year and a half and haven't announced that they're working on anything either, which points to them working on something big since the end of 2009.  Since Nintendo has no current HD engines to work off of and any HD development would require longer dev times, not to mention the next Smash Bros will probably have around 50 characters now, which takes even more time to develop, Nintendo probably contacted Game Arts shortly after they made their Ninja Turtles Smash Bros clone to start development of a real Smash Bros right away so it could be ready for a 2012 release.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 10:08:30 AM »
And Sonic needs to stay, and Mega Man needs to be added. 

Assuming Smash Bros has been in the works, its possible that Mega Man's odd exclusion from Marvel vs. Capcom 3 might be hinting toward his addition into another "fighting" franchise.

Don't have a ton of faith in that, but throwing it out there as possibility since Capcom's only statement was they seemed to feel he didn't fit in the game (which was odd, since he was in the first two).
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 10:20:14 AM »
And Sonic needs to stay, and Mega Man needs to be added. 

Assuming Smash Bros has been in the works, its possible that Mega Man's odd exclusion from Marvel vs. Capcom 3 might be hinting toward his addition into another "fighting" franchise.

Don't have a ton of faith in that, but throwing it out there as possibility since Capcom's only statement was they seemed to feel he didn't fit in the game (which was odd, since he was in the first two).
Or that he be an Insta-Buy DLC.

Offline KisakiProject

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2011, 02:24:10 PM »
I personally hated Brawl and thought Melee was the best multi-player game ever.  So I hope they do this one right.  Given all the coverage on other sites about this I wouldn't be surprised.  I mean IGN and other sites having featurettes.  Sounds like they got an NDA they can't break.  I'm hoping for a Melee port to 3DS with more characters and stages.  Or an all new one that doesn't have the trip.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2011, 03:11:27 PM »
Speaking of IGN & NDA's...

Quote from: IGN 12/3/2010
We have plenty to say about Smash Bros., and you'll definitely hear more about the franchise in the months to come. For now, we're curious: which of the three games is your favorite?
http://m.ign.com/articles/1138536

Looks like if Smash Bros. Café is about to happen @ E3, it's very possible that IGN has known about it (the game... not necessarily what system it was for) since December of last year.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2011, 05:44:09 PM »
I remember that quote. I'll chalk it up to them having inside info. I'll buy into this completely, if it doesn't surface at E3 oh well.

RomanceDawn

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2011, 05:51:49 PM »
Considering the final Brawl roster was first leaked by a Gamefaqs poster in October 2007, about 3 months before the final game was first released in Japan, I wouldn't be surprised if a place like IGN was able to get some type of information on a new Smash Bros for the Cafe about 6 months before it was suppose to be revealed.  Smash Bros is the one Nintendo series where they seem to be unable to prevent leaks from happening.

The main problem working against Mega Man being in Smash Bros is the fact nobody at Capcom seems to give a sh!t about the series anymore.  The only reason Snake got in is because his creator, Hideo Kojima is Konami's top designer and he wanted him in and worked out a deal to get him in.  Since the creator of Mega Man has now left Capcom, there's nobody with any real power at Capcom that probably even cares if Mega Man gets in and would be willing to try and work a deal out to get him in.

The only way Mega Man can get in is if he becomes the most requested character for the next Smash Bros like Sonic became for Brawl, which makes Nintendo actually go over to Capcom to asked for their permission to get Mega Man, like they did with Sega for Brawl.  The problem with that is the Mega Man franchise has never been anywhere close to the popularity as Sonic.  Plus there's been so many different Mega Man series by now, all the different Mega Men will end up splitting the votes, which will make sure none of them come any where close to the top of any list.

If there's a Capcom character that gets in the next Smash Bros, it'll probably be a Street Fighter character since the guy who's currently in charge of Street Fighter, Yoshinori Ono, has stated he'd like to have a vs Nintendo crossover and that he'd like to talk to Sakurai about it.  Then when this news started causing rumors to get out of hand, Ono went and apoligized to Iwata himself.  So we have the guy in charge of Street Fighter, saying he'd like to contact Sakurai, and has had some contact with Iwata which he says was to apologize.  I'd bet good money that Ono has contacted Sakurai and that they've worked out a deal to get Street Fighter character to be a guest star in the next Smash Bros.  This might explain why even Nintendo themselves hyped up Street Fighter IV for the 3DS, more then any other third party title.  Plus I bet the Cafe will probably get a port of Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition and Street Fighter X Tekken as well.

So yeah, right now my money is on a Street Fighter character being playable in the next Smash Bros.  Which will hopefully allow for Ono to actually do a Nintendo vs Capcom game in the future because of it.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2011, 06:02:02 PM »
Considering the final Brawl roster was first leaked by a Gamefaqs poster in October 2007, about 3 months before the final game was first released in Japan, I wouldn't be surprised if a place like IGN was able to get some type of information on a new Smash Bros for the Cafe about 6 months before it was suppose to be revealed.  Smash Bros is the one Nintendo series where they seem to be unable to prevent leaks from happening.

The main problem working against Mega Man being in Smash Bros is the fact nobody at Capcom seems to give a sh!t about the series anymore.  The only reason Snake got in is because his creator, Hideo Kojima is Konami's top designer and he wanted him in and worked out a deal to get him in.  Since the creator of Mega Man has now left Capcom, there's nobody with any real power at Capcom that probably even cares if Mega Man gets in and would be willing to try and work a deal out to get him in.

The only way Mega Man can get in is if he becomes the most requested character for the next Smash Bros like Sonic became for Brawl, which makes Nintendo actually go over to Capcom to asked for their permission to get Mega Man, like they did with Sega for Brawl.  The problem with that is the Mega Man franchise has never been anywhere close to the popularity as Sonic.  Plus there's been so many different Mega Man series by now, all the different Mega Men will end up splitting the votes, which will make sure none of them come any where close to the top of any list.

If there's a Capcom character that gets in the next Smash Bros, it'll probably be a Street Fighter character since the guy who's currently in charge of Street Fighter, Yoshinori Ono, has stated he'd like to have a vs Nintendo crossover and that he'd like to talk to Sakurai about it.  Then when this news started causing rumors to get out of hand, Ono went and apoligized to Iwata himself.  So we have the guy in charge of Street Fighter, saying he'd like to contact Sakurai, and has had some contact with Iwata which he says was to apologize.  I'd bet good money that Ono has contacted Sakurai and that they've worked out a deal to get Street Fighter character to be a guest star in the next Smash Bros.  This might explain why even Nintendo themselves hyped up Street Fighter IV for the 3DS, more then any other third party title.  Plus I bet the Cafe will probably get a port of Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition and Street Fighter X Tekken as well.

So yeah, right now my money is on a Street Fighter character being playable in the next Smash Bros.  Which will hopefully allow for Ono to actually do a Nintendo vs Capcom game in the future because of it.

One reason I might be skeptical of a Capcom guest star for Smash Bros:

http://www.examiner.com/video-game-in-philadelphia/capcom-serves-nintendo-3ds-its-first-real-blow

Capcom serves Nintendo 3DS its first real blow
If you had visions of a portable 3D Mega Man in your head when Nintendo released the 3DS, you can forget about it. Capcom has reduced support for the new system, in addition to the Nintendo Wii and Nintendo DS.

The article does mention their hiatus from Nintendo could be short-lived, but it doesn't bode well for their confidence in the Nintendo brand right now.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2011, 06:43:01 PM »
For some stupid reason, Capcom combines the 3DS and DS in that listing. And Okamiden/Ace Attorney 2 ain't walkin' through that door again.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.