Author Topic: Possible Reveal of new Super Smash Bros game at E3!!  (Read 52447 times)

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Reveal of new Super Smash Bros game at E3!!
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2011, 09:30:50 AM »
I forgot about tripping. I lost SO many matches because my character fell over. I guess it was to add a sort of "realistic" feeling, since people trip in real life, but not ALL THE TIME and especially not during a fight unless the opponent makes them.

A portable Smash was being thought of a while ago I believe, but the idea was scrapped. That's just a rumor I heard. If other fighting games that are portable are bringing in good profit, Nintendo might develop an SSB for the 3DS.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2011, 09:41:03 AM »
They could probably very easily just take either Brawl or Melee and do a few tweaks and then port it over to the 3DS. Its not like they have to completely remake the game from scratch in order to get it on the 3DS.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2011, 10:59:15 AM »
I'm sure there is a NSMB Café being developed with 4 player and personal screen separation like 4swords. NSMB made a bigger splash than any 3D Mario and Nintendo wants to come out swinging, so the NSMB route would be the best one to take at launch.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2011, 11:24:38 AM »
@The Unagi - I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I didn't mention graphics or online in my previous post. Considering I rarely play online games, I would most certainly not buy "Melee Online" even with sharper graphics, especially since Nintendo would most likely charge full price for it. I don't typically buy rereleases unless I'm given something I want. Better graphics and online do not cut it. I'm a value-seeker (cheap), first and foremost. I'm just supporting blatant consumerism. Brawl was loaded with new content that in hindsight wasn't all that interesting or just plain awful. I admit to having buyers remorse despite how excited I was for Brawl. You're right, that's my "fault" for buying the game if you want to put it in such terms but that wasn't really the point.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2011, 12:13:37 PM »
Tripping exists for the same reason that the guys in last place in Mario Kart get all the good items while the guys in first get squat.  Nintendo thinks that adding random elements that more or less punish skill makes their games more accessible because beginners can win by fluking out.  That is their idea of "balance".

My reaction to seeing this thread was "meh".  I feel the same way about Mario Kart.  These multiplayer focused franchises don't keep my interest because the experience is very similar each game.  Single player games benefit from new levels.  Usually there is one title in a series that just grabs the attention of my friends and I and then the sequels just can't recapture the magic.  Melee was that game for us.  Brawl just felt like too much of the same.  I'm SSBed out.  So for me to care about this one is has to do something different.  More than four characters at once would probably do it.

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2011, 01:37:40 PM »
I do agree that Melee is a great game, and in my opinion, better than Brawl. The high-speed action of Melee and simple (but nice) singleplayer was very well down. Brawl seemed to slow, the story was awful (the only way to interpret most of it is using your "imagination") and the extras (i.e. the Stage Builder) weren't that nice and seemed just like filler.

What I was thinking about was a better Wi-Fi. There can be different games to choose from, like first-person shooters (like Stock Battle, Timed Battle, Coin Battle, etc.) or at least have the party leader be able to change the options instead of regular 2 min. Brawl. Hopefuly that awful lag will be fixed as well.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2011, 03:49:15 PM »
Brawl was loaded with new content that in hindsight wasn't all that interesting or just plain awful. I admit to having buyers remorse despite how excited I was for Brawl. You're right, that's my "fault" for buying the game if you want to put it in such terms but that wasn't really the point.

Brawl just felt like too much of the same.  I'm SSBed out.  So for me to care about this one is has to do something different.  More than four characters at once would probably do it.

So adding 17 new characters that weren't in Melee, with 15 of them having completely unique movesets that don't exist in Melee, is too much of the same?  All other high profile fighting series are lucky if they even add 3 extra characters between each new installment, and only in rare occasions to you get something as high as 10, but hardly anything as close to 17.

Give me a break.  The whole point of Smash Bros is to be a party fighting game that everyone can enjoy where people can play as iconic Nintendo characters with now some third party characters as well.  The whole selling point for these games is the new characters that people will be able to play as and Brawl added 17 of them over Melee.  If that wasn't enough for some of you then you'll never be happy with anything in life since Brawl already went above and beyond what it was suppose to for the type of game is it.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2011, 03:55:20 PM »
Brawl was loaded with new content that in hindsight wasn't all that interesting or just plain awful. I admit to having buyers remorse despite how excited I was for Brawl. You're right, that's my "fault" for buying the game if you want to put it in such terms but that wasn't really the point.

Brawl just felt like too much of the same.  I'm SSBed out.  So for me to care about this one is has to do something different.  More than four characters at once would probably do it.

So adding 17 new characters that weren't in Melee, with 15 of them having completely unique movesets that don't exist in Melee, is too much of the same?  All other high profile fighting series are lucky if they even add 3 extra characters between each new installment, and only in rare occasions to you get something as high as 10, but hardly anything as close to 17.

Give me a break.  The whole point of Smash Bros is to be a party fighting game that everyone can enjoy where people can play as iconic Nintendo characters with now some third party characters as well.  The whole selling point for these games is the new characters that people will be able to play as and Brawl added 17 of them over Melee.  If that wasn't enough for some of you then you'll never be happy with anything in life since Brawl already went above and beyond what it was suppose to for the type of game is it.
If it was Melee with 17 more characters and a few new modes, stages, and items.  We wouldn't be having this discussion but its not.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2011, 05:46:15 PM »
Yeah, I was fine with the amount of content in SSBBrawl. It's the content itself I didn't like.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2011, 06:06:27 PM »
On paper the single player story mode in Brawl sounded awesome but in actuality it wasn't as good as the others.  Thinking back maybe Brawl tried to be its own unique game with Nintendo characters more than it should of.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2011, 06:59:49 PM »

The gameplay though is still largely the same.  Me and three friends beat the crap out of each other with Nintendo characters.  We played that in Melee until we got bored of it.  The extra characters of Brawl freshened things up for a bit but eventually the novelty wore off.  It's just a law of diminishing returns.  Mario Kart has new tracks every time but I find each game has less of a shelf life with my friends.  I think it's because at first the content AND the gameplay is new and exciting but in sequels there is less and less new gameplay and the content makes up the bulk of the new stuff.

If it's good enough for you then enjoy it.  I'm not suggesting they stop making SSB games or anything.  I'm just bored of them and throwing in a bunch of new characters isn't going to change that.

I don't get bored of single player series as quickly and I think a big part of that is that the journey in the game itself is part of the hook.  New content involves new areas to discover.  The journey continues to somewhere new.  Multiplayer games usually have no real journey aside from unlocking stuff and usually rely on the thrill of the gameplay itself as the hook.  To me, new characters in a fighting game, is like new power-ups and enemies in a single player game.  You want those in a sequel but if those were it it wouldn't hold your attention long.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2011, 07:37:48 PM »
Ugh, every Smash Bros. thread derails into the same tired arguments and people thrashing about their useless opinions.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2011, 07:58:24 PM »
Why is it called smash brothers if they let girls into it?
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2011, 08:01:39 PM »
Ugh, every Smash Bros. thread derails into the same tired arguments and people thrashing about their useless opinions.

Dasmos raises a good point: you do all suck at this.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2011, 08:02:51 PM »
But that's exactly what a forum is for!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2011, 08:05:23 PM »
Not this one. From this point forward, any discussion that Dasmos finds unacceptable is strictly prohibited. Unless I say otherwise.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2011, 08:13:00 PM »
How can we discuss the next Smash Brothers game if we can't talk about what we want to see in it?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2011, 08:14:16 PM »
You're going to have to work that out with Dasmos.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2011, 08:14:50 PM »
Be creative.... talk about what you don't want to see in it.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2011, 08:19:55 PM »
You're just not allowed to discuss anything that's ever been argued before or express any useless opinions. Anything else is fair game, until he says otherwise.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2011, 09:01:35 PM »

Good point. I think that was also one of the main reasons why Nintendo decided to ultimately drop the Gameboy brand name.

The franchise should be renamed "Smash Siblings". That way it would be gender neutral.
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2011, 09:21:26 PM »
You're just not allowed to discuss anything that's ever been argued before or express any useless opinions. Anything else is fair game, until he says otherwise.
Wait... You had banned Game Discussion because it was to close to religion but, I guess its now ok.  Dasmos hasn't said anything about the banned topics.

Good point. I think that was also one of the main reasons why Nintendo decided to ultimately drop the Gameboy brand name.

The franchise should be renamed "Smash Siblings". That way it would be gender neutral.
Smash Bros.  like Homie.  If it was Smash Siblings they all be related because their is no generic organizational form of Siblings so, that would mean their is a lot of incest in Nintendoland.  Could be Smash Comrades, Smash People, or just Super Smash.  Like Pizza Hut was The Hut or Radio Shack was The Shack.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2011, 09:23:57 PM »
Smash Bros.  like Homie.  If it was Smash Siblings they all be related because their is no generic organizational form of Siblings so, that would mean their is a lot of incest in Nintendoland.  Could be Smash Comrades, Smash People, or just Super Smash.  Like Pizza Hut was The Hut or Radio Shack was The Shack.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2011, 10:02:33 PM »
im going to call shenanigans if they don't have more varied costume variations, color swaping is bullshit. I wanted this feature when brawl was in development.  Also for 3ds i wouldnt expect a price drop till winter or next spring
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2011, 02:53:40 AM »
What would get me most excites for the next installment in this franchise is if Nintendo made a significant effort to include more third-party characters. If they really are trying to mend fences with third parties, why not extend them the offer while they're at it?