Author Topic: Super Mario All-Stars Review  (Read 10394 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario All-Stars Review
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2010, 12:59:53 PM »
Winner, winner.  Why go through all the extra effort to sell something?  Nintendo isn't like SEGA and desperate for the cash.  Besides, even without the extra effort, this'll probably outsell any of the various Sonic collections (assuming Nintendo prints enough copies)...
This was true 17 years ago. Nintendo could have sold Super Mario All-Stars by just packaging the original 4 games without the updated graphics, sound, and music and it still would have sold millions. Why go through all the extra effort? Because you're likely to make more money that way.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2010, 01:26:11 PM »
This was true 17 years ago. Nintendo could have sold Super Mario All-Stars by just packaging the original 4 games without the updated graphics, sound, and music and it still would have sold millions. Why go through all the extra effort? Because you're likely to make more money that way.

It wasn't that way 17 years ago.  Nintendo and SEGA were fighting tooth and nail in the Genesis/SNES era.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2010, 01:45:01 PM »
I was commenting specifically on: Why go through all the extra effort to sell something? My bad.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2010, 01:51:45 PM »
Ah.  My point was that this title is going to sell, regardless.  In fact, I'd say Nintendo is going to make more money off this no-frills release at $30 than they would have if they had redesigned the individual titles and sold the collection at $50.  So why bother to redesign everything?  If nothing else, they can sell the All-Stars version today, then redesign them tomorrow - and sell them twice (doesn't that sound very Nintendo-like?).

17 years ago, though, that wasn't the case.  People went crazy over All-Stars - I really wonder how many systems that promotion sold - remember, they didn't just sell the game in stores - but they also gave it away with new system purchases!  Nintendo made money, hand over fist with this promotion back in the day - and I wouldn't be surprised if someone had access to the numbers and the time to deal with it could go back and see if this wasn't about the same time period the SNES really got a boost over the Genesis.  Remember, the Genesis was actually outselling the SNES for awhile.  The remaking of the games wasn't just to sell games - it was to move systems and give the SNES the kick it needed.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2010, 02:09:27 PM »
Ah.  My point was that this title is going to sell, regardless.  In fact, I'd say Nintendo is going to make more money off this no-frills release at $30 than they would have if they had redesigned the individual titles and sold the collection at $50.  So why bother to redesign everything?  If nothing else, they can sell the All-Stars version today, then redesign them tomorrow - and sell them twice (doesn't that sound very Nintendo-like?).
Certainly, it would sell regardless. However, I believe Nintendo would have made more money by remaking each game and selling at $50. For simplicity's sake, let's say the game sells 1 million copies, that's $20 million dollars. Re-selling costs Nintendo $0, but remaking the game wouldn't cost anywhere near $20 million. After recouping development costs, everything else is pure profit. Also, consider that more people would have likely bought an upgraded All-Stars since that seems to be the major deterrent for most people who didn't buy Super Mario All-Stars on Wii.

Still, you're right. Nintendo will likely remake them again at some point, probably next generation so they can all it Super Mario Collection HD. I just hope they'd consider remaking every 2D Mario.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2010, 02:26:12 PM »
Certainly, it would sell regardless. However, I believe Nintendo would have made more money by remaking each game and selling at $50. For simplicity's sake, let's say the game sells 1 million copies, that's $20 million dollars. Re-selling costs Nintendo $0, but remaking the game wouldn't cost anywhere near $20 million. After recouping development costs, everything else is pure profit. Also, consider that more people would have likely bought an upgraded All-Stars since that seems to be the major deterrent for most people who didn't buy Super Mario All-Stars on Wii.

Still, you're right. Nintendo will likely remake them again at some point, probably next generation so they can all it Super Mario Collection HD. I just hope they'd consider remaking every 2D Mario.

I think penny arcade sums up pretty clearly who Nintendo is catering to when releasing this edition.

Jokes aside, I see the release being more geared towards kids and new gamers.  Think about it this way: Many parents are uninformed, and go with what they know.  They know the Wii because of the co-workers who rave about wii sports, so they buy it thinking it could be a family activity.  Then once they grow tired of that game, they might buy the old mario game collection because they know it's safe for their kids to play and it's also cheap (compared to typical retail prices).  Most parents also might not bother with any internet connectivity on their Wii, so they may not know of the shop channel, or would prefer physical formats.

Nintendo knows their business better than anyone.  If they can get young people to become Nintendo loyalists, then they will be able to keep them coming for at least another console generation (hey, it worked on me and I assume other people on this site), and what better ambassador than the fantastic original collection of mario games for the NES?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 02:31:52 PM by lolmonade »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2010, 06:16:15 PM »
Looking at New Super Mario Brothers Wii, I'd bet that a New Super Mario Brothers All-Stars (All four games remade in NSMB style with 4-player multiplayer) would have also been a 10+ million seller. And it would have been an incredibly easy project to create, seeing as how fast fans recreated the old games using homebrew.

Amazon had ~800 copies in earlier today.  Sold out in about four hours.
Are you sure that some of those didn't go to fill pre-orders? My pre-order didn't ship until yesterday (the day you posted this).

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2010, 06:41:33 PM »
That's *possible* - but I added "999" copies to my cart that instantly got bumped down to ~7XX copies.  Then, refreshing through the day (and going by posts on CAG), it slowly sold down.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2010, 06:18:29 PM »
Ah, I was wondering how you knew how many copies they had left. Clever.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2010, 07:59:56 PM »
you know if you type Polina Dimovska in google you get more TJ than the girl.  It probably isn't that difficult, try harder before you give up. :P
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post