Author Topic: Mario Bros GBA changed!?  (Read 4967 times)

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Mario Bros GBA changed!?
« on: January 22, 2006, 05:22:39 AM »
Ok I have been reading the manual for Super Mario Bros GBA Classic NES Series and I noticed that they changed some things in the story and some descriptions, like ALL the enemy descriptions are changed what the crap happened did Nintendo lose thier NES manuals or what?

As a video game collector and total Nostalgia freak this upsets me when they maek changes to things I rmemebr from my childhood. anybody else upset at this or am I all alone. Also it kinda raises Q's regarding Virtual Console but I am off to church and dont have time to post everything right now.

"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline burninator1992

• View Profile
RE:Mario Bros GBA changed!?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 05:23:13 AM »
ne one there?
I have acww so if you want my info ask me and ill send it to u in a private message.

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 05:24:39 AM »
wait my reply got lost anyways what do you mean by that?

Offline burninator1992

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 05:25:53 AM »
do you have animal crossing wild world?
I have acww so if you want my info ask me and ill send it to u in a private message.

Offline burninator1992

• View Profile
RE: Mario Bros GBA changed!?
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 05:27:28 AM »
do you have animal crossing wild world?

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 05:27:58 AM »
no grose, thats not whats I was talking about. I meant Classic NES Series Super mario Bros. I um dont play Animal Crossing dont ask your will only be offended.

Ok well church dont start for a hafl an hour and I got replies right away so I will finish my topic. See what I was getting at is that if they lost the original instruction manuals than I wonder what else they have lost and it worries me when i think of Virtual Console.

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 06:26:01 PM »
ok so didnt anybody else get bothered by this? or am I all alone here. Seriously what if its true and Nintendo did lose documents from thier past? what will that mean for Rev. Think about it for a se its liek what if they lost the original files for Kid Icarus and theres no back ups to ever offer it again what then?

Offline ALetterNeverSent

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 06:36:39 PM »
Considering Nintendo still sells the manuals for all SMB games released on the NES, I don't think they lost anything and just updated it since the game came out 21 years ago.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 06:37:57 PM »
What in God's name is going on in this thread?
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2006, 06:49:43 PM »
ok well aletterneversent nailed it right on I guess. as for this wierdo who keeps replying abotu animal crossing who the hell knows.  

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2006, 08:30:58 PM »
Nintendo hired Yuji Naka to transport all their old instruction manuals from one room to the next. It was just a simple matter of moving a few boxes. Along the way he somehow fell out a window and rolled into a lake on the outskirts of town. That box contained the Super Mario Brothers manual.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2006, 09:45:53 PM »
Well, Nintendo's non-in-game descriptions/renderings/histories have always been pretty fluid. Remember how Mario looked on the original Donkey Kong machines? Really, I think it's best not to take anything that isn't inside of a Miyamoto-approved Mario game as offical Mario cannon.

edit: but I actually agree with you, as someone who's also a nostalgia-freak, that there's no need to go changing the instruction booklets/art that go along with classic games. I wouldn't want Nintendo to produce art that featured a modern-looking Mario battling Donkey Kong for a virtual console DK re-release. Or change around the classic Link art from the old Zelda games to better match Wind Waker's stylings.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2006, 03:58:26 AM »
I wouldn't mind minor changes in the artwork.  Like palette swaps and such.  I seem to recall that Mario had red overalls and a blue shirt, a reversal of the blue overalls and red shirt that he has now.  If they kept the same artwork but made that change, I wouldn't make a big deal about it, I might even prefer it.

And typoes/errata like the Birdo/Ostro mix-up in the SMB2 manual and Morton Koopa named as "Montron Koopa Jr." in the SMB3 manual should actually be changed.  But I guess that's not what we're talking about.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2006, 06:28:36 AM »
I think Nintendo just has an unfortunate urge to dicker around with past games to try to make them more consistent with the newer ones.  Case in point all of the Mario Advance games had annoying voices added.  And the GBA port of A Link to the Past has "yaaaah" in it.  That's always bothered me.  I'd prefer an accurate historical reproduction then a bastardized George Lucas revision.  Yeah Mario didn't talk before and his colours were reversed.  That's history.  I think it's important for new gamers to see his evolution.  Plus changes made to the character have always been completely in Nintendo's control.  I've never understood the desire to change something old to fit something new.  Why not make the new consistent with the old in the first place?  Like with the Star Wars films any inconsistencies between the old and new films were entirely avoidable.  If you're too stupid to make a new entry in a franchise fit with the old ones then tough luck.  Live with your incredibly stupid mistake that any idiot could have avoided.

So I say keep everything as it was.  The only things I would suggest fixing are game breaking bugs and typos.  Those are things you can clearly say were not in the original vision.  So fixing "Gannon" to "Ganon" and "Zebeth" to "Zebes" is okay.  I think in Link's Awakening there was a way to get a key when you weren't supposed to and you would get stuck and they fixed that in the DX version.  I have no problem with that either.

Offline 31 Flavas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2006, 08:25:31 AM »

Originally posted by: JonLeung
I wouldn't mind minor changes in the artwork.  Like palette swaps and such.  I seem to recall that Mario had red overalls and a blue shirt, a reversal of the blue overalls and red shirt that he has now. If they kept the same artwork but made that change, I wouldn't make a big deal about it, I might even prefer it.
Well, it was more like blue body and red overalls... But I digress. I dunno about you, but I just accept it as a Mario of history, but not at all the Mario we've ultimatly come to know and love. Rather like bugs bunny, where the modern day Bugs Bunny (smart, witty) is nothing at all like the first Bugs Bunny (psycho nut case) that was introduced. I'd rather just keep the Mario of today and avoid the confusion, not that many people are familiar with the Mario of history.
"Once 6 A.M roles around on Friday it's like a human tsunami and everything will be taken within minutes." -- Luigi Dude

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2006, 05:02:51 PM »
ok but when i picke dup the book to read it I ws expecting to go back in time to the first time I read the ORIGINAL booklet and I was so disapointed,.

I also agree with Ian for the most part about the voices but I did liek the other extras added to the Mario advance games like the introductions that were added I thought were nice.