Author Topic: Mario vs. Bowser (DS game idea...)  (Read 4169 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Mario vs. Bowser (DS game idea...)
« on: October 27, 2005, 07:09:14 AM »
While in the shower, I was thinking about what could be a pretty fun idea for the DS/Nintendo WiFi Connection.

It's a two player game, the first player playing as Mario in what would appear to be just a regular, ordinary Platforming game (a la Super Mario Bros., et al.) where Mario must save our fair princess from the evil clutches of Bowser.  The Top screen displaying the actual game, the bottom screen displaying some various stats for...

The second player, who plays as Bowser (or "Bowser's Army").  Your job is to keep Mario away from the castle at all costs.  You'll have control of a limited army (for each level) and be able to pick and choose where/when the enemy is deployed.  You'll get a few seconds head start in front of Mario, placing your enemies throughout the level (although there'd have to be limits - like you can't place enemies on the screen that Mario is currently on).

Now picture this - the top screen shows Mario jumping from mushroom top to mushroom top (like SMB1 Level 1-3).  On the Bottom screen, the second player gets to choose the level and frequency (of course, the cannon would need to be reloaded and moved up and down!) that Bullet Bills get fired out at the first player.

Think this would work?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:Mario vs. Bowser (DS game idea...)
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 08:14:36 AM »
I think it would be a really fun minigame if implemented well, but I'm not sure if you could make it a full blown game... or is that what you meant?
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
RE: Mario vs. Bowser (DS game idea...)
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 08:36:58 AM »
I think it's a spectacular idea, it'd be crazy fun.  Thing is, it sounds like pretty much a solely multiplayer game, which is hardly ever fun if you don't have someone around.  It could be a mini-game or a special feature they impliment in another game, but it sounds way too complex for a side-project.  I think it could be great fun, I'm just not sure how practical it is.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 08:44:38 AM »
What about a Mario Vs. Donkey Kong 2 ? multiplayer versus battle

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 09:10:38 AM »
Is there anything stopping the second player from putting all the enemies on one screen?  I think that would probably overwhelm Mario and make for an easy victory.  Does Mario have to actually defeat the minions, or can he just avoid them?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 12:49:06 PM »
I like the idea but it would take huge amounts of tweaking, and mostly be a multiplayer game.

Possibly a better tweak for the game would be to have the second player control Bowser on the bottom screen.  He runs around and picks up an enemy and then places them on a warp that starts them off or randomly places them in certain areas of the large map.

Then when the number of bad guys Bowser can place is gone.  Bowser himself can jump in the portal and try to stop Mario.  In this case the end of the level becomes a test to see who is the better platformer, and if Bowser can catch Mario.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 07:15:04 PM »
Mario doesn't have to defeat them - He'd play just like a normal Mario game.

As far as dumping all the enemies on the screen at once, Bowser would only have a certian amount of enemies and I kinda picture having to drag and drop them so that they could only be placed at a certian speed in front of Mario.  Perhaps Spak's idea of having to "warp" them in would work, the game's storyline could put some kind of limit on the portal so it can't be overused in a short time span.

As far as it being multi-player only... yeah...  But I personally *love* multi-player games.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 05:35:19 AM »
You could easily make a small one player game that allows you to run through all the levels available for multiplayer variety...then allow you to design and save enemy layout for your own single player adventure, apart from the multiplayer one.

Then Nintendo could go around and allow famous game designers to make there own personal enemy layouts for the levels.  (I remember when Bust-A-Move did this for there puzzles section for one game.)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2005, 06:27:58 AM »
I'm thinking each enemy has a maximum stockpile for each level, after you place the enemy it'll take a while until he is replaced on your stockpile (e.g. you have three goombas, when you have less than three left you'll get a new one every five seconds). More powerful enemies would have lower stockpiles and longer reload times, obviously.

I've thought about somethig roughly similar ever since the 386 days, a game where you manage a SHMUP level (R-Type or Gradius style, not bullet hell), have to fend off heroes and deal with competing levels. Get ships cheaper by equipping them with bonuses that drop if they die, build cannons and other obstacles to make the heroes' lives harder and defend your boss at all cost. Send attack teams into competing levels to blow up their expensive defenses or even their boss and get more heroes to come to you, cash in a bounty for each hero killed and if you kill enough your level becomes a later one and you can buy more sophisticated/dangerous weaponry. So your level would be a cross between an evil lair and a theme park, in that it is both your base of operations and a place that has to attract "visitors" to make money.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2005, 12:56:42 AM »
Interesting idea, it could easily be a full fledged game (add some scores / stats and you're set) but yeah it'd need to be reworked a bit to work in single player too.

Originally posted by: ShyGuy
What about a Mario Vs. Donkey Kong 2 ? multiplayer versus battle

I'd like that game on DS, with a level editor, i'd spend FOREVER on that! It'd be like The Incredible Machine, which also needs to be on DS.

Offline burninator1992

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2006, 08:52:19 AM »
this game sounds a bit like advanced wars 2...so if it were created it would be a total rip off
I have acww so if you want my info ask me and ill send it to u in a private message.

Offline attackslug

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2006, 03:50:47 PM »
Actually, it sounds very much like part of an old Civil War NES/PC game called "North and South".  It was kind of like Risk, but when invading certain states with forts, it turned into a side-scroller where one player played a lone scout who had to defeat hordes of one hit kill, touch one and you're dead type enemies, which were controlled (one by one) by the other player.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2006, 06:13:52 AM »
This is a really cool idea and I've heard similar ideas from other people since the NES era.  The problem is it would be really hard to balance because as hard as some games are they're still somewhat fair.  The game is still designed to allow you to beat it.  With a human controlling the level design on the fly there would be a natural tendency to make things unbeatable.  Without a lot of hard rules someone could just make a huge pit that goes beyond the jumping range for the player or even if there's a limit they could make like 100 pits in a row with only small little platforms inbetween.  I love the idea in theory though it just would take huge talent to pull it off.

Though one idea that could work is if you use a Wacky Races kind of idea where the villian goes on ahead in the level and sets traps.

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2006, 08:32:42 AM »
It depends on the type of enemies and the terrain, of course, but I don't think there's an advantage to throw a bunch of enemies together in a single area.  A single Koopa shell could wipe them all out, or a singular barrage of fireballs (with less likeliness of losing the Fire Flower in between enemies), or a single Starman usage.  They would also increase the chance that Mario can defeat them all in a single move, or at least defeat them all without touching the ground, meaning points/1-up bonuses galore for Mario.

I'm speaking of a game based on past Mario platformers, of course.  In those games, advantage = Mario.

If such a game were to be made, there should be some kind of balance between Bowser and Mario.