Author Topic: Wii Component Cables to Hit Retail  (Read 8023 times)

Offline SS4Gogita

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Wii Component Cables to Hit Retail
« on: November 03, 2006, 05:18:47 PM »
According to Perrin Kaplan, that is.

In a new interview with Game Informer, Perrin Kaplan revealed that component cables will not only be hitting online retail sites, but will actually launch in retail stores along with the Wii on November 19.    

When asked if component cables would be available on day one, Kaplan responded by saying "Yes, at retail and online. Best Buy, GameStop, Circuit City, etc… and Nintendo.com."    

This is good news for those of us who have high definition displays, myself included, as it had earlier been stated that component cables could only be purchased from web sites of retail stores such as the ones listed above.

::Vincent Anderson
::Staff Writer
Planet GameCube

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
RE: Wii Component Cables to Hit Retail
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 05:48:14 PM »
God I hope this is true. I really want to be able to play my Wii in HD from day 1. I hope that Walmart also has them because that is where I'm camping out and I don't want to have to wait until the next morning to break open the Wii and play some games.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Jome20

• View Profile
RE:Wii Component Cables to Hit Retail
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 05:54:42 PM »
I'm curious was it ever confirmed that the GC Component Cables would work with the Wii system or not?  I actually own the GC component cables and it'd be great if I don't have to buy the new Wii component cables if I don't have to.
I'm a student at DigiPen Institute of Technology, where I work on designing games and hope to do that for a living.  

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 06:04:34 PM »
YAY!

NINTENDO DIDN'T DO SOMETHING REALLY STUPID!
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 06:11:24 PM »
Don't celebrate yet... I don't know if I believe this.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 06:12:23 PM »
I suspect they'll be right next to the region unlocker.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 06:13:12 PM »
Well in Australia they are available in stores from launch.  I dont see why NA would be any different.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 06:13:23 PM »

Originally posted by: Jome20
I'm curious was it ever confirmed that the GC Component Cables would work with the Wii system or not?  I actually own the GC component cables and it'd be great if I don't have to buy the new Wii component cables if I don't have to.

They do not.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2006, 06:40:03 PM »
I sure hope her answer turns out to be a fact.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2006, 07:49:57 PM »

Originally posted by: Shorty McNostril
Well in Australia they are available in stores from launch.  I dont see why NA would be any different.

You over-estimate NOA's ability to make rational decisions.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2006, 09:40:09 PM »
Didn't Kaplan say the Wii is region free, too?

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2006, 10:00:31 PM »
she says many things....

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2006, 11:03:54 PM »

Originally posted by: Crimm

Originally posted by: Shorty McNostril

You over-estimate NOA's ability to make rational decisions.

No, I over estimate NAL's ability to make rational desicions.  And if they are smart enough to sell them instore then surely NOA would be smart enough to.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2006, 11:20:30 PM »

Originally posted by: Mr. Jack
God I hope this is true. I really want to be able to play my Wii in HD from day 1. I hope that Walmart also has them because that is where I'm camping out and I don't want to have to wait until the next morning to break open the Wii and play some games.

Wii does not display HD in any case, only 480i or 480p.  However, component video is far better than standard video, and if your TV runs in progressive scan, a lot of games will take advantage of that as well.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2006, 11:28:59 PM »

Originally posted by: Jome20

No.  The Wii has a completely new port that accomodates all cable variations.  The GameCube has two ports, one for standard A/V cables and a second for component video that doesn't carry audio.

Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2006, 03:43:07 AM »

Originally posted by: Bloodworth

Originally posted by: Mr. Jack

Wii does not display HD in any case, only 480i or 480p.  However, component video is far better than standard video, and if your TV runs in progressive scan, a lot of games will take advantage of that as well.

Well 480p isn't "HD" but it is double the resolution of 480i which looks awful on my TV and has terrible delay.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2006, 07:12:09 AM »
Thank you God!  I hope this isn't Nintendo miscommunication.  It's just such an obvious thing to do I don't know why they would ever consider doing anything different.

Offline Mario323

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2006, 08:14:58 AM »
Nintendo corrected itself after a very stupid decision!  F*** YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Jome20

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2006, 08:56:30 AM »

Originally posted by: Mario323
Nintendo corrected itself after a very stupid decision!  F*** YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well if they would have really wanted to correct themselves they would have allowed for 720P ... but of course it's too late for that now.

Thanks to those that answered my question about the GC component cables.  Unfortunately I didn't get the answer I was looking for, heh.
I'm a student at DigiPen Institute of Technology, where I work on designing games and hope to do that for a living.  

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2006, 12:50:25 PM »
Actually, 480P is not double the resolution of 480i.  It's the same resolution.  The only difference is all lines of resolution are shown every frame in 480P whereas half the lines are shown one frame while the other half are shown the next frame in 480i.  Same resolution though.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2006, 03:01:01 PM »
Technicalities. Though they have the same resolution the picture looks twice as good (sharp) in progressive scan as compared to interlaced.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2006, 03:30:57 AM »
480p can be slightly wider than 480i.

Well if they would have really wanted to correct themselves they would have allowed for 720P ... but of course it's too late for that now.

It would have been stupid in first place since the hardware would be completely overwhelmed by that and publishers would worry about reviewers deducting points for lacking HD so games would be developed looking worse than they could be just so they can use HD resolutions on the TVs that actually support them.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2006, 05:40:32 AM »
...the effing component cables should be included with the Wii itself. You shouldn't have to shell out extra money.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2006, 06:16:11 AM »
Why? The Wii only includes a basic cable, otherwise they have to start adding all kinds of cables and that's not going to be good for the system's price.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2006, 06:26:35 AM »
If the 360 or the PS3 don't include them with every variation of the system I really see no good reason for Nintendo to.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.