Author Topic: IMPRESSIONS: Project H.A.M.M.E.R  (Read 2348 times)

Offline SS4Gogita

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
IMPRESSIONS: Project H.A.M.M.E.R
« on: May 11, 2006, 09:41:44 AM »
It's H.A.M.M.E.R. Time!  See what I did there?

Project H.A.M.M.E.R. is one of the odder first party games on the E3 show floor.  It came out of nowhere, and it seems to bring the more gritty attitude that games like Excite Truck also bring to the table.    

The basic premise for the game (since there was no backstory given), is that you're just a big dude with a big hammer.  We have no idea who you are or why you have a hammer, but as long as it's there we might as well use it, right?    

At first I found the gameplay to be annoying and a bit overly complicated.  You have to keep the red cursor (the one that corresponds to the remote) on the screen at all times, mainly because that's how you attack.  Run up to an enemy (they were mostly robots or robot-like) with the control stick on the nunchaku attachment and smash them to bits with your hammer by swinging it from left to right.  You could twirl your hammer by bending your wrist and making a twirling motion with the controller, but these movements had to be precise for them to be executed.  You can also do a Power Slam by raising the remote upward slowly (to build the charge) and then slamming it back down to release a massive blast.    

The E3 demo I played had you move through a generic run-down city and your job was to defeat all the enemies.  At first I had trouble keeping the remote's cursor on the screen whilst running at the same time, but after a minute or so I didn't have much trouble and it seemed to be a decent way to control the action on the screen.  The two buttons on the nunchaku were used to boost and back yourself up.  I didn't actually use this feature until near the end of the demo, so I'm not sure how effective it will be and how much it will affect gameplay.    

Overall, I thought it was a decent start to this new IP from Nintendo.

::Vincent Anderson
::Staff Writer
Planet GameCube