Author Topic: RUMORS: CoD to REV?  (Read 17427 times)

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
RUMORS: CoD to REV?
« on: April 03, 2006, 01:46:43 AM »
Will Activision's famous World War II shooter be making its way to the Revolution's launch?

When the Revolution controller was unveiled, one of the genres it seemed best tailored for was First Person Shooters, and there's certainly been no shortage of speculation on what famous franchises might be Revolutionized in the coming years. The latest rumor on the subject comes via Got-Next, who claim that their "spy pirates" have confirmed a new iteration of Activision's Call of Duty series for Nintendo's newest console at launch and that it'll make special use of the innovative controller.    

Spy pirates? Who hires pirates when ninjas are so much better for covert operations?    

PGC contacted Activision, who had no comment on the matter, but we believe there's a strong possibility that, even if Call of Duty isn't a launch title, it'll show up sooner or later. Activision has http://planetgamecube.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=11036 >already solidified its support for Revolution, and since Finest Hour and Big Red One appeared on the GameCube, there's not much of a reason for this new game to snub Nintendo.    

But seriously, pirates? What were they thinking? They’re scurvy dogs!    

If Got-Next's report is correct, though, the game will be handled by EXAKT Entertainment, the same developer that ported True Crime: Streets of LA and Finest Hour to the GameCube. Based on the company's history, this sounds reasonable, but we won't know for sure until E3 or whenenever launch titles are revealed.    

Stay tuned to PGC as we acquire news from our trustworthy spy ninjas.

I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: RUMORS: CoD to REV?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 03:25:23 AM »
I say we solve the country's financial problems by leveraging a license fee from anyone who uses german military, past or present, in their games.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 05:07:55 AM »
Lol, newtechnix.com had posted such rumor many days ago and I even mentioned such rumor in one of my posts. Slowpokes!

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 05:52:39 AM »
for a moment there a read space pirates.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 07:17:33 AM »
I initially just skimmed this article and then saw "But seriously, pirates? What were they thinking?" and thought that Call of Duty had just gone WAY over the deep end.

Though seriously that would probably interest me more.  I find World War II (or Vietnam or Desert Storm or ANY modern war theme) shooters boring as dirt.  They might have decent gameplay but the whole style just bores the crap out of me.  When people talk about how gaming is becoming stale this is the sort of stuff I'm tired of.  I find realistic themes incredibly dull.  A game needs to have some fantasy elements to it for me.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 07:42:35 AM »
WW2 games could be interesting, if you add automatic rocket launchers, plasma guns, etc or maybe superhuman warriors as seen primarily in comics and anime. As long as they aren't just blatant gore-and-boobie games like Bloodrayne. How about letting the player play as Captain America instead of a random soldier? Or maybe some ancient demon reawakened by the nazis? So you can do more than just crouch and shoot your gun?

Offline Knoxxville

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:RUMORS: CoD to REV?
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 08:25:29 AM »
I feel you on that one, Ian.....I play games to escape reality, not to re-live it.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 08:33:25 AM »
But you aren't reliving it, you haven't lived in war (pending on your age), and in so you are escaping your reality and "experiencing" something that you haven't before.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 08:44:07 AM »
I very much enjoyed RTCW's single player campaign because you spent about two levels killing Germans and then it was nothing but zombies, demons, and other monstrosities all the way.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 08:47:49 AM »
"But you aren't reliving it, you haven't lived in war (pending on your age), and in so you are escaping your reality and 'experiencing' something that you haven't before."

True but I've never played a professional sport either and yet I find those games uninteresting.  It's just a personal preference I guess.  When I say I want a fantasy usually what I mean is I want something that no one could ever do.  Something that just could never be real.  Wolfenstein 3D is a WWII FPS but it has this really fantasy scenario of one guy taking out an entire base of Nazis with a gattling gun and fighting zombies and in the end coming face to face with Hitler in a MECH.

Though honestly if there was only one WWII shooter I probably would give it a fair shake because it would be unique for a videogame.  It's just been done to death in a very short period of time.  Realistic setting + overused concept = DULL.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006, 09:01:05 AM »
Penny Arcade said it best in that "Omaha beach is the new "Hoth".", in that it's being whored in more games than Hoth was in Starwars games.

Playing a FPS cannot even begin to replicate the experience of actual combat. It never has been able to and it never will. The Rev controller might up the immersion factor slightly, but calling a WWII FPS an "homage" is blasphemy against all of the men who actually died fighting for or against Hitler's war machine (news flash: if you think every German to fight in that war wanted the war, you are sorely mistaken).

Games grounded in reality never reach the levels of those which explore fantasy, especially when the reality has indeed been done to death.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Knoxxville

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2006, 09:12:46 AM »
Yeah, like when the 1st Medal of Honor hit the PSX....it was novelty then....now it seems like there is a WWII game dropping every other week....dullsville.

And to whom it may concern, the GAME is re-living the war, as its main selling point is based in how accurate it portrays said events....whether or not I was in the war is irrelevant (I am a 10 year US Army vet, BTW), and was not to be taken in such a literal sense.

That said, I hate realistic games (or games based in reality with no fantasy and/or far fetched themes whatsoever, to be clear), period.

Offline SS4Gogita

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2006, 10:20:54 AM »
Pirates > Ninjas

::Vincent Anderson
::Staff Writer
Planet GameCube

Offline TMW

• The Man Whore, if you're wondering.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2006, 11:42:02 AM »

Originally posted by: SS4Gogita
Pirates > Ninjas

Agreed.

Don't get me wrong....ninja's are cool...but pirates are just MORE cool.

And..well, while the WWII genre of FPS's never had a draw for me, I'd probably get this anyways...FPS with the Rev controller as a launch title? Count me in.

What about Ubisofts FPS? Any word if thats supposed to be a launch title?
Jesus saves! Everyone else, roll for damage.<BR><BR>Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not an invisible monster about to eat your face off.

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2006, 12:44:29 PM »
What?! Ninjas >>>>>> Pirates, man. You guys are nuts.
I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline Renny

• Satin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2006, 01:44:40 PM »
Still waiting for a WWII FPS that isn't too softcore to put the players behind a Swastika/Iron Cross (in the proper context, not multiplayer skirmish pansy-footing nonsense). I'd love to see how it'd be sensored in Germany. :¬þ
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2006, 01:56:29 PM »
Ninja Pirates > Pirate Ninjas

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2006, 03:37:11 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"But you aren't reliving it, you haven't lived in war (pending on your age), and in so you are escaping your reality and 'experiencing' something that you haven't before."

True but I've never played a professional sport either and yet I find those games uninteresting.  It's just a personal preference I guess.  When I say I want a fantasy usually what I mean is I want something that no one could ever do.  Something that just could never be real.  Wolfenstein 3D is a WWII FPS but it has this really fantasy scenario of one guy taking out an entire base of Nazis with a gattling gun and fighting zombies and in the end coming face to face with Hitler in a MECH.

Though honestly if there was only one WWII shooter I probably would give it a fair shake because it would be unique for a videogame.  It's just been done to death in a very short period of time.  Realistic setting + overused concept = DULL.

Yeah, I'm with Ian on this one.  I'm not really interested in reliving someone else's reality, ESPECIALLY if their reality included being shot at and seeing your friends die in the mud.  And I do think that these T-rated, under-the-top war games do a great disservice to veterans, who know that real war is much different, and to gamers, who may develop an almost comical idea of war if their primary exposure to the subject is through these games.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Knoxxville

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2006, 03:51:28 PM »
The ultimate irony is "America's Army", which was once a free multiplayer strategic FPS.  It's development was funded by none other than who?.......(wait for it).....the US Army.

Gotta love it.....reality SUCKS.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2006, 04:00:33 PM »
If it's just another one-man-army-do-everything-follow-this-path-plus-metoo-multiplayer FPS, I have no care for it.

If it's turns out to be a TACTICAL SIMULATION a la CLASSIC [that's CLASSIC!] Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon, then I'll keep it in my radar.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Nephilim

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2006, 04:01:56 PM »
problem with america army is that its advertised as a free fps, yet you have to spend 3hours beating all the training missions to even get to play it online in a server
due to every server needing a high training rank, they have done this to stop "noobs" but at the same time the average player

edit:
COD2 is pretty good, Multiplayer was fun at a lan, we practiced in "bomb mode" were you only had 1 life
COD could be a good online fps for the launch of rev and it was the top selling game at launch of 360
so its not a game to roll your eyes at

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2006, 12:24:14 AM »
I'd love to see how it'd be sensored in Germany. :¬þ

I wonder... Since games are now considered media instead of toys they should be able to depict nazi symbols, right? Problem is of course what role the player has and what his environment is. Depicting Nazi propaganda of any kind in thegame wouldn't just get it banned, it'd make people go nuts if they just hear about it (I hear they need LOTS of police, doctors and psychologists around when they play those Nazi propaganda movies in the Filmmuseum Potsdam because simply seeing them can traumatize people or give them heart attacks). Though you can probably find games made by Neonazi groups that put the player in the role of e.g. a KZ Lagerleiter or a Wehrmacht soldier while glorifying the Reich.

problem with america army is that its advertised as a free fps, yet you have to spend 3hours beating all the training missions to even get to play it online in a server
due to every server needing a high training rank, they have done this to stop "noobs" but at the same time the average player

If you aren't willing to go through training you aren't in their target demographic, anyway. The rank of a private isn't handed to you on a silver platter, it has to be earned like any other rank. America's Army IS made by the army, they wouldn't want you to think you just get your gun and start shooting things, you go through extensive training and brainwashing before you even lay hand on the rifle, even more until they hand you the matching ammunition. Of course AA doesn't depict how the first thing a soldier learns is to clean his room and the entire building. Three times a day. Maybe the US Army doesn't do that as frequently as the Bundeswehr or maybe because "learn how to clean three times a day" doesn't sound nearly as glorious as "fight to defend your country!".

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2006, 07:23:53 AM »
My brother is in the Canadian Military Reserve so he was really interested in America's Army.  So I downloaded it to my PC for him and he immediately got into the training missions.  He thought the game was so cool until he went online and encountered the same sort of idiots you typically encounter online.  Guys on his team were shooting him, he was trying to setup tactics like providing cover but no one was listening to him and just running in like idiots and getting killed.  It was pretty funny to see him freak out over that because he was taking the game pretty seriously.

That's one problem with games that strive to be realistic.  They try so hard at some things and then slack off on another and complete kill the feel.  Reality can be restrictive so if you're going to strive for it stick to it.  Otherwise there's just a bunch of annoying restrictions.  If I'm playing a "realistic" game and I shoot someone in the leg he better go down clutching his leg and be unable to walk.  Nothing bothers me more then dying because someone shot me in the head but me shooting them in the chest did nothing but take off health.  One thing that would have made my brother's AA experience better would be if you couldn't respawn.  Die and you're dead for the rest of the round.  Then people would actually value their life and not run into enemy fire willy-nilly and would try to work as a team to survive.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2006, 07:28:40 AM »

Of course AA doesn't depict how the first thing a soldier learns is to clean his room and the entire building. Three times a day.

Animal Crossing....Basic Training!

By the way, it appears to me after reading this thread that any game announced is trashed if it doesn't include a magical fairy or Bullet Bob.  Bodes well for the third party support.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2006, 08:18:58 AM »
Which version did he play? I have never played a version where you respwaned in the same round. You only respwan after eveybody on one side is dead or mission complete. Still doesn't stop idiots acting like idiots, but it helps. Given the community has "matured" such behavior isn't very well tolerated.

In some ways it is realsitic. Playing the game full spectrum style with individual members being a fire team works. It really works if your firing a LMG at them. Friendly moves in under covering fire and caps the target. Damage from explosives modeled on kill zone and frag zone works well. It is possible to get hit by a fragment from 20 meters away or not get hit from a genade exploding in front of you assuming your not in the concussion part of the blast zone. Weapon modeling works well. The LMG kicks around alot if you try to fire it standing. Sniper rifles take alot of skill to use effectively. Pistols have horrible ranges. Assult rifles are good single round weapons with decent close fire rate. M4s and AKMs make for an expanded game in terms of options and play styles. People can be pegged by RPGs and Launched genades without the round exploding. RPGs can go wild or dud. Weapon Jams are a part of life. You can bleed out if not attended to by a medic. the points system does encouage a form team play.

Although the games still "Breaks". People use the M203 (genade Launcher) like a mortar and firing them in different arcs to get time on target attacks where both shots land at the same time. it really hurts when you play SF maps where everybody can load up on M203 Mods. Also close combat doesn't work all that well considering how the game handles lag. If your ping is lower than 100 than you can shoot on target, otherwise you have to lead the target regardless of distance. It is not uncommon to see two guys unload 2 clips from their M16s at each other with no result. Also the game for some reason needs pretty good specs to run aceptably given the age of the game.

Mind you though, some liberities must be taken or otherwise a game would be rendered unplayable. If they were to model damage so realisticly as to have you hit the ground screaming after taking a hit, nobody would play as it would encouge way too much camping.

If anything else the game has taught me to never enlist ever. No matter how good you are, it only takes one lucky shot to take you down.

Oh one more thing if it does hit the fan atleast I would know better than to run around like those stupid civs in those light gun games.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?