Author Topic: Iwata Promises Cheap Games  (Read 16722 times)

Offline SS4Gogita

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Iwata Promises Cheap Games
« on: March 29, 2006, 07:47:28 AM »
Just how cheap is cheap, you say? Click the link to find out what Nintendo's president had to say on the subject.

Satoru Iwata, in an interview with CNN Money, revealed that Nintendo's first party games are going to be no more then $50.    

"I cannot imagine any first party title could be priced for more than $50."    

He couldn't guarantee that other companies would follow suit, however.    

In regards to the reason for keeping prices low this generation, he gave this statement:    

"I really don't think that there's going to be a lot of acceptance by current customers of the $60 price tag. They may allow that for a limited number of premium titles, but not all."    

Iwata also mentioned that "practically any storage method can be used" when he was asked about the USB ports on the back of the Revolution.    

This is good news for those who thought that the 512 MB of internal flash RAM wasn't enough.    

We should be hearing more specifics about pricing and the Virtual Console as E3 continues to near.

::Vincent Anderson
::Staff Writer
Planet GameCube

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Iwata Promises Cheap Games
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 08:18:28 AM »
I hope he'll have a talk with Nintendo of Europe, then. 60 Euros is definitely too much.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 08:22:24 AM »
Good news.  But aren't Microsoft's first party titles $50?  This doesn't really mean third party games won't be more expensive.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
RE:Iwata Promises Cheap Games
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 08:22:46 AM »

Originally posted by: PGC NewsBot
Iwata also mentioned that "practically any storage method can be used" when he was asked about the USB ports on the back of the Revolution.    

This is good news for those who thought that the 512 MB of internal flash RAM wasn't enough.

Does that mean we can hook up USB hard drives to our revs for infinite strorage at wholesale prices?

That good news cause you can find 250GB HDDs for $150 right now and name brand ones should be that cheap by the end of the year

A $199 Rev + a $150 250gb HDD would still be cheaper than a $399 Xbox 360 w/ 40gb HDD or a $399/499 PS3 with a 100/160gb HDD  

Offline SS4Gogita

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 08:36:10 AM »

Originally posted by: vudu
Good news.  But aren't Microsoft's first party titles $50?  This doesn't really mean third party games won't be more expensive.

That's true, but it doesn't mean they can't get more expensive down the road.  Third party games might be as expensive still, but the inherently cheap cost of the Revolution makes the price of the games not as hard to swallow.
::Vincent Anderson
::Staff Writer
Planet GameCube

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 08:38:50 AM »
Well this must mean that Nintendo's OS will be more rubust than usual. Because if any storage can be used that means that the OS will handle the storage method via the OS so the games do not need to written to support it only the list to a common port and send it to the correct medium based on settings. That would be the "easy" way.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
  • Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 08:39:40 AM »
I'll just use a USB thumb drive to unload stuff if  I fill up the 512

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 08:42:23 AM »
Hopefully any storage device includes my mp3 player, would make it a lot easier to carry around games from one rev to another perhaps?  
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 08:44:18 AM »
I don't really classify games costing the same price they are right now as "cheap" but it's still good that Nintendo is going to try to keep their prices down.

The USB stuff sounds great.  Now we can just do whatever we want regarding storage.  Though I wonder if this would be a piracy issue.  If I can save all my downloaded games on an external harddrive what's to keep me from connecting said harddrive to my PC and distributing those games all over the internet?  I hope Nintendo has a plan against that.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 08:45:18 AM »
so technically I could hook my Rev up to my TV and my computer at the same time and just use my computer as a file strage center and only use my SD cards for portable memory cards, that would work for me too cause my TV and computer are right next to each other

edit: Ian, maybe they will have some sort of proprietary software that you need to install on the hard drive that doesn't allow you to share, or the Rev istelf(or the online service) keeps track of what you have and have not downloaded therefore not allowing your Rev to play games that you have not payed for. most likely the latter cause Nintendo would be more in control of that situation.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 09:02:55 AM »
"or the Rev istelf(or the online service) keeps track of what you have and have not downloaded therefore not allowing your Rev to play games that you have not payed for."

That seems like the best solution.  Something like that would also let you redownload something that accidently got deleted but you already paid for.

Iwata mentions temporary downloads as well.  I personally don't care for the idea of Nintendo deciding that I can't play this demo anymore or anything like that.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2006, 09:14:24 AM »
More good news.  I'm definitely glad about the storage system detail.  I don't want any extra crap with the Rev I don't need.  512 MB would probably be enough for me, but if not, I have a USB drive I could use.  Awesome.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2006, 09:15:55 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
The USB stuff sounds great.  Now we can just do whatever we want regarding storage.  Though I wonder if this would be a piracy issue.  If I can save all my downloaded games on an external harddrive what's to keep me from connecting said harddrive to my PC and distributing those games all over the internet?  I hope Nintendo has a plan against that.

If Nintendo wants to emulate Apple (and they do), then these games will likely be hardware-coded to work only with your Revolution or maybe the Revs of you and 2-3 friends.

Apple allows you to share the music you download from iTunes with 6 or 7 other people, I believe, so long as you give them your password to unlock the song.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2006, 09:23:10 AM »
"If Nintendo wants to emulate Apple (and they do), then these games will likely be hardware-coded to work only with your Revolution or maybe the Revs of you and 2-3 friends."

Having that little extra flexibility would be nice.  What if my Rev breaks?  It wouldn't be fair to have to rebuy all those games because they're associated with a certain Rev machine.  Plus there's the issue of used consoles as well.

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2006, 09:32:50 AM »
I wonder if Nintendo will release the nPod =P
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2006, 09:46:39 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane Having that little extra flexibility would be nice.  What if my Rev breaks?  It wouldn't be fair to have to rebuy all those games because they're associated with a certain Rev machine.  Plus there's the issue of used consoles as well.

I'm guessing that, much like the iTunes store, you'll have an account which is linked to your Rev and CC#. In the event that you change Revs, you'd have to move the account over which would likely be easy to do.

Originally posted by: capamerica
I wonder if Nintendo will release the nPod =P

They already have. It has two screens and hibernates when you close it, allowing you to copy various games to it and take them with you, just like the iPod does with music.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2006, 10:01:14 AM »
Plug and Play USB, sounds good to me. I still wish they'd stick a firewire port on there so I can use my Powermac's external hard drive on it as well.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2006, 10:18:22 AM »
If it's USB II, it should be pretty quick as it is.

Plus, I think firewire would have been more expensive, sadly.

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2006, 11:45:04 AM »
It's not like the SD card slot is going away, or is it? We always had some kind of expansion option... Though an HDD would be cheaper and store tons more. A 40 gig external HDD will run about the same as a 1gig SD card ($50ish).

Definitely expect the downloads to be DRM'ed to be tied to the Rev, your account, or some combination to make sure it's not emulated off a computer or shared among a million people. Illegal ROMs have been available for years so there's nothing particularly more desireable about Rev-originated ones.

But iTunes works because the cheapness (and convenience) of the content is enough to persuade against much of the piracy.  
"wow."

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2006, 12:02:40 PM »

Illegal ROMs have been available for years so there's nothing particularly more desireable about Rev-originated ones.
Unless they start releasing official translated versions of games that never made it out of Japan.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2006, 12:04:12 PM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
If it's USB II, it should be pretty quick as it is.

Plus, I think firewire would have been more expensive, sadly.

Firewire ports only cost like a quarter per system, so they're not prohibitively expensive. The minor speed difference between the two probably isn't worth the hassle (if they're not bothering to put ethernet ports on the thing), but it would've been nice since I already own the firewire drive.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2006, 12:39:40 PM »
lol lets all use the xbox hd
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ssj4_android

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2006, 12:51:49 PM »
Sweet, allowing a USB hard drive is a good idea. Why couldn't MS do that? Anyway, I have a spare 30 GB external drive lying around. Upgraded my laptop hard drive, and got an external USB exclosure for that for around $10. Anyway, I wouldn't think it would be too hard to lock it to the hard drive for most people. Just use some information you get over USB (does anyone know if there actually is any?), upload that to Nintendo's servers, have them sign/encrypt the data (which would include your serial number), and then check it on playing. Then they just have to make sure they don't leak their private key. Perhaps they could have two, one to encrypt the static data, and one to encrypt your HDD information.
Anyway, I kind of hope they offer a cheap subscription service, like Yahoo Music Unlimited or whatever, only for games.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2006, 01:27:35 PM »
AFAIK there's no unique identifier to any given HDD... it's not a huge issue though: Whatever method you use, it's going to be breakable, but since the ROMs are already out there I don't think I'd worry about it.

Offline AnyoneEB

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2006, 01:36:19 PM »
$50 for a 40GB external drive? Try newegg. A nice 80GB drive is around $40 and a USB2 enclosure is about $10. Myself, I have a 512MB USB flash drive with a lot of free space. I assume that I could copy the files off of the USB stick onto a hard drive if I needed to.