Author Topic: Super Mario 3D All Stars: Yea or Nay? (And other Nintendo ports)  (Read 11869 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario 3D All Stars: Yea or Nay? (And other Nintendo ports)
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2020, 02:38:59 PM »
I'm not even bothering with the Game & Watch. I was a little put out by the pin set fiasco and considered putting a complaint into Nintendo but I'm not feeling it to be worth the effort even if I can finagle something out of it.

And I'll have to eat some words from earlier because the camera is WAY worse than I remember, and the controls are much more finicky as well. I have died so much already because of challenges with the cameras and walking controls. There have been times where the camera has flat out killed me. One early one was a long jump I attempted to do on Whomp's Fortress and the camera would spin all the way around, changing what my input meant and I would go from running forward to pulling back mid-jump.

I'm about half-way through Mario 64 at 55 stars, attempting to get to 100% without looking at any hints or guides, just relying on my memory and playing the game. Won't beat the game until I'm at 100% this time around. Also going to attempt to 100% the other two games, though those will surely be longer affairs.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2020, 05:18:12 PM »
Man, when Nintendo announced that Mario 3D All-Stars was going to be a limited release, I turned to my scalping buddies and said, "That's it. Quarantine is over. Back to work!" Thanks, Nintendo! While I enjoyed the rest you gave us when you launched this pandemic to get everyone playing Animal Crossing for those sweet player engagement metrics, I'm glad you're ready to end this virus with some precious physical edition rarities. And that Mario pin set. chef's kiss

With all the people going stir crazy, you've surely whipped up a spending frenzy the likes of which will be talked about for decades. Best of all, I can then parlay the money gouged from All-Stars into these new consoles from MS and Sony as they piggyback once again on the groundwork you've laid to further fleece these cooped-up kooks desperate for a new thrill to combat their boredom. 2020 may just be the best year ever! Nintendo you are always there for your true fan base, the scalpers. Much love.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2020, 07:30:26 PM »
I hope you don't mind repurposing this thread into the Super Mario 3D All-Stars/Mario 35th Anniversary official thread. I really don't want to split the discussion into a different thread, and I'm too lazy to write a nice opening post.
I'm not even bothering with the Game & Watch. I was a little put out by the pin set fiasco and considered putting a complaint into Nintendo but I'm not feeling it to be worth the effort even if I can finagle something out of it.
I'm going to try. I want it for the novelty. Ever since Uncle Bob mentioned the original Super Mario Bros. Game & Watch, I haven't been able to shake what a missed opportunity that was.
And I'll have to eat some words from earlier because the camera is WAY worse than I remember, and the controls are much more finicky as well. I have died so much already because of challenges with the cameras and walking controls. There have been times where the camera has flat out killed me. One early one was a long jump I attempted to do on Whomp's Fortress and the camera would spin all the way around, changing what my input meant and I would go from running forward to pulling back mid-jump.
Hot take: Super Mario 64 is not a good game anymore. It isn't bad per se, and I can appreciate it for what it means from a historic context. However, it isn't a game I will likely play again in its original form after this play through. I'm not sure I'm going to finish it this time. That depends on how much patience I have.

The game is just so janky, like Sega levels of jank. In addition to the camera and controls, the level design leaves a lot to be desired. I don't mean the entire courses themselves. Rather things like narrow corridors such as in Peach's castle that make the camera spaz if you try to adjust it and the sheer amount of slopes that Mario will inevitable, unintentionally slide down. Nintendo learned so much between Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Odyssey. The latter is so polished, and rightly doesn't have many of these issues.

I have to take back something I said earlier. A mere graphics update would not have sufficed. Playing through Super Mario 64 again made it abundantly clear how much the game needs a complete remake. Personally, I'd probably keep the graphics closer to the original. It doesn't need Odyssey-level detail, simply better textures and geometry. Peach's castle and the courses themselves are mostly fine. Maybe make certain areas larger so the camera has somewhere to go without clipping into the wall. Some of the platforms are infuriatingly small, but maybe they would be fine with more precise controls. 🤷â€â™€ï¸
I'm about half-way through Mario 64 at 55 stars, attempting to get to 100% without looking at any hints or guides, just relying on my memory and playing the game. Won't beat the game until I'm at 100% this time around. Also going to attempt to 100% the other two games, though those will surely be longer affairs.
You're a little further than me. I have 37 Stars. I don't think I can get any Stars requiring heavy flying. I can't get the hang of the controls (pointers are welcome). I tried getting the Red Coins in the Wing Cap Course like five times before wanting to throw my controller into the sun.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2020, 08:00:30 PM »
I hope you don't mind repurposing this thread into the Super Mario 3D All-Stars/Mario 35th Anniversary official thread.

Hello... FBI? I'd like to report a hijacking in progress. I've got a poster here trying to take over a thread and shift the topic to their own agenda. I recommend a forum-wide alert to warn the rest of the posting community and lockdown all other threads in case this monster is working with others. This might just be the first in a coordinated plan to shift the original topic of multiple threads. What do you mean its too late?!?! Posters have been doing this already?!?! FOR YEARS?!? DECADES?!?! But... the rules!!! Do not "derail" threads. Do not intentionally change the subject of a thread or purposefully turn a thread in an unnecessarily negative direction. If it made you think of a good topic you really want to discuss, make a new thread. If this has been going on for years then.... My god....

...they've never really mattered....  Is being a moderator just an illusion...? Is this whole system just some kind  of virtual reality that has tricked all users into believing some version of a false existence for the benefit of some nefarious force...? Just what exactly is an Insanolord....??!!

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2020, 05:16:10 AM »
So, question for those that have the game.  Are you happy with the experience?  I really want to play Super Mario 64 again...but I also have literally beaten that game over 10 times, and can't justify the price tag.  But Galaxy is great too. 

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2020, 05:27:53 AM »
I haven't started Sunshine yet, but I'm loving 64 and Galaxy. This is probably the best way to play 64, and I'm really liking having the spin mapped to a button in Galaxy.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2020, 09:37:04 PM »
This is easily the best way to play Sunshine and this is the best representation of the n64 version of Mario 64 as well (even if I still prefer the DS version) but what I've played of Galaxy in handheld mode was pretty rough.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2020, 11:52:08 PM »
I haven’t had any real problems with Galaxy in handheld mode. Certain stars can be a little clunky, particularly when they make significant use of the pull stars, but normally it’s just a quick swipe over with my thumb and it works fine. I guess if you’re using the Hori thing it’d be tougher to reach over because of the size of those.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2020, 12:11:48 PM »
I 100% ed Mario Sunshine for the 1st time (and last time) ever.

I've heard Sunshine described as the "hardest 3D Mario game", but I don't think I agree. Once I knew what I needed to do and where I needed to go, I didn't have that much trouble with most of the shines. What i think more aptly describes Sunshine is that it's the most annoying 3D Mario game or the most broken 3D Mario game. I don't think even Wind Waker felt this clearly rushed, and they cut 2 whole dungeons from that game. It's very clear that NOTHING got playtested because this game barely functions. Collision issues are rampant, and so much of the game just feels really poorly considered. The Blue Coins pretty much REQUIRE a guide since they're so cryptically hidden.

That said, I didn't have a terrible time revisiting Sunshine. It's probably aged the best of the 3 games in the collection. It is still, though, probably the worst 3D Mario.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 06:28:35 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2020, 05:07:09 PM »
Getting all the Blue Coins and seeing the one extra thing you get for getting all 120 Shines will forever taint my Super Mario Sunshine memories. The frustration, the disappointment. Things I don't need to revisit.

Wonderful sense of place with Sunshine, though. I'll always appreciate that.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2020, 05:51:03 PM »
Hahaha! I played a lot of Mario Odyssey with the Vacation Mario look. It was my way of making Sunshine live on into a new Mario game.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2020, 10:49:51 PM »
Getting all the Blue Coins and seeing the one extra thing you get for getting all 120 Shines will forever taint my Super Mario Sunshine memories. The frustration, the disappointment. Things I don't need to revisit.

Wonderful sense of place with Sunshine, though. I'll always appreciate that.

One 100% a game is never a requirement...although some may say we desire it. 

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2020, 12:23:40 AM »
One 100% a game is never a requirement...although some may say we desire it. 

It's not so much the reward for getting 100%, but the fact getting 100% in Sunshine is such BS that it's not worth even trying it.  I mean all the 3D Mario's have some stars or levels that can be annoying to get, but Sunshine takes the cake with the amount of unfun content players are required to do.  Of course it also doesn't help that some of the worst Shines to get in Sunshine are some of the required ones which already leaves a bad taste in peoples mouths so by the time they beat the game, the desire to even go for 100% is already lost.

That's one of the great things the rest of the 3D Mario games have excelled at.  Just getting to the bare minimum required to beat the game is extremely polished and enjoyable for most people.  This makes people more willing to go for 100% in them because they want to keep experiencing this great content, which they generally keep providing as well.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2020, 09:25:14 AM »
Yeah, personally I have never 100% Super Mario Sunshine.  I got all the normal Stars and that was tedious.  I have 100% Mario 64 many times.  I just have been thinking about my old habit of trying to 100% things and with  Odyssey and Breath of the Wild I released that goal is not necessary to me anymore.  I just don't care.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2020, 07:19:52 PM »
Honestly, I've rarely felt the compulsion to 100% a 3D Mario game. I think the only ones I've done it on were Galaxy 2, 3D Land, and most recently Sunshine. I usually need a reason to 100% something, especially these days, like a secret ending. I find the later stars of Mario games to be the least enjoyable ones to do, so most of the time it's just not worth it.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2020, 03:18:04 PM »
I finished Galaxy for the first time (minimum stars). It is a good platformer and I think it has aged pretty well. I dont really like the weird perspectives and upside down stuff though.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2020, 01:11:29 PM »
So can Mario not look up in Sunshine? Only way I've figured out how to half look up is by spraying the water while standing still and angling up. The Ptey Pirhana returns level with him flying was so difficult because I couldn't look up to hit him. I actually died because of it as I would get hit constantly by the little goop monsters as I refused to clean up the surrounding goop at first since I was so busy trying to find when Petey was flying.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2020, 01:30:16 PM »
So can Mario not look up in Sunshine? Only way I've figured out how to half look up is by spraying the water while standing still and angling up. The Ptey Pirhana returns level with him flying was so difficult because I couldn't look up to hit him. I actually died because of it as I would get hit constantly by the little goop monsters as I refused to clean up the surrounding goop at first since I was so busy trying to find when Petey was flying.

Yes, there is a button you press to bring the camera right behind Mario so you can angle up. You actually have to use this ability in order to access one of the levels. Don't remember which button does it, though.