Author Topic: Hey! DC's got stuff too... (Official Thread for the DCU of Movies and TV)  (Read 269253 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: Hey! DC's got stuff too... (Official Thread for the DCU of Movies and TV)
« Reply #550 on: October 23, 2018, 06:03:29 PM »
Remember in the comics when Bane was a scrawny cyborg emo kid with a pant suit and shoulder pads?
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: October 23, 2018, 08:02:16 PM »
Oohhboy's Robin comment just reminded me that there is some Titans show that's supposed to be coming soon to DC's streaming service so I'm going to go with that.

**** BATMAN!?
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: October 30, 2018, 10:49:14 PM »
Hey, I know it's popular to hate on DC, but WB just put out their Batman: The Animated Series BluRay set today. I haven't had a chance to do more than spot check some sections, but from what I've seen the picture quality is phenomenal. This was a legit HD restoration, and it's very clear that some serious money went into this. The sound's great, too, but I don't really have the setup to test that.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: October 31, 2018, 06:08:41 AM »
The first episode of the new season of Supergirl was not good. Jesus that was a bit heavy handed and threw Supergirl's cheerfulness under the bus. Not a fan of Mercy being a shallow Ultra Nationalist compared to the more nuanced version in DCAU.

The second episode is much better with a return to the fun elements as they run around L Corp. I wouldn't say it balanced out the heavy handed junk but that fun stuff was why I watch Supergirl for. Considering how well Danver's among many characters development was so well handled the new writing has been disappointing. What's the deal with her suddenly going butch. I will stick around for the fun stuff but the filters are now on. Fucking woke assholes.

It's crazy that DCAU deals with social problems so much better never flogging the audience especially considering it's run by what most would consider turbo nerds. They took no prisoners and wrote stories, never a message.

On a related not I have been re-watching BTAS and this flew over my head as a kid. Fan-fucking-tastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k58wihIiyR4

I will definitely have to look up the Remasters.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: October 31, 2018, 08:16:00 AM »
I want that Batman TAS collection - the bad part is that the Funko Pop figures that come with it basically cheapen the entire thing. First, those are the lowest form of memorabilia, and second they are totally generic and have nothing to do with the show.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: October 31, 2018, 08:16:09 AM »
But I still want it.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #556 on: October 31, 2018, 08:43:32 AM »
I want that Batman TAS collection - the bad part is that the Funko Pop figures that come with it basically cheapen the entire thing. First, those are the lowest form of memorabilia, and second they are totally generic and have nothing to do with the show.

I don't like the Funko Mini-pops in this set, either, and the cheap cardboard box the real chipboard box is in pretty much just exists to show off those PoS. Mine came completely mangled, bit thankfully the inner box was perfectly fine.

One thing I want to draw attention to is the lenticular art cards that come with the set, something WB isn't advertising at all. I usually hate lenticular stuff because it's always used to emulate movement between two moments depending on the angle you look at it. The end result is that usually the cards always look halfway between scenes.

These cards, however, are scenes from the show, but the lenticular effect is used to emulate 3D depth of field on one scene, rather than transitioning between scenes. There are six thick cards in this set, and they're kind of amazing.

I don't understand why WB was so secretive about the quality of the restoration in this set. They showed NOTHING except the restored intro to indicate that this was a real restoration & not a DVD upscale.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #557 on: October 31, 2018, 09:27:57 PM »
Here are 2 side-by-side videos that show the incredible difference between the original Batman: TAS DVD transfers & the new BluRay transfers.

The animated side of DC continues to be the only side that consistently does right by its fans.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: October 31, 2018, 11:38:45 PM »
WTH, the originals didn't look remotely that bad. Did they use VHS as the comparison?

Not to say it doesn't look better which it does. The original hand drawn animation is so good the clean up makes it better losing none of the charm.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #559 on: October 31, 2018, 11:51:22 PM »
WTH, the originals didn't look remotely that bad. Did they use VHS as the comparison?

Not to say it doesn't look better which it does. The original hand drawn animation is so good the clean up makes it better losing none of the charm.

I would imagine a fair amount of the discrepancy was a result of blowing up the DVD footage to 1080p resolution to match the BluRay footage. There's also clearly major color correction applied to the BluRay transfer.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: November 01, 2018, 12:40:55 AM »
I pulled up the same scenes from the files I have which look nowhere near as bad. You would call the look old school not VHS quality. DVD even when blown up you're not going to get that kind of result, the artefacts are wrong.

There is some sort of shenanigans happening.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #561 on: November 01, 2018, 08:03:12 AM »
I pulled up the same scenes from the files I have which look nowhere near as bad. You would call the look old school not VHS quality. DVD even when blown up you're not going to get that kind of result, the artefacts are wrong.

There is some sort of shenanigans happening.

Well, another possibility is that the original footage was taken from the original, unrestored film negatives & the remastered footage was showing it cleaned up. Given the color correction you see as well, that would make sense. The side-by-side comparisons don't say what the unrestored footage is from. The implication has just always been that it's from the DVDs. I don't want to cast dispersions on WB just yet.

It's been a while since I watched my DVDs (and they're currently in storage), but I remember them looking blurry and having a fair amount of dirt & hairs that made the blacks in the show sometimes come out grey.  I don't know why WB has been very vague and misleading with their public messaging of this release. What they put out is damn near pristine. It is the restoration we wanted when they announced this. They don't need to be this way.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 08:18:16 AM by broodwars »

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: November 02, 2018, 03:11:55 AM »
Ewan McGregor playing Black Mask, the villain in Birds of Prey

https://au.ign.com/articles/2018/11/01/birds-of-prey-movie-casts-ewan-mcgregor-to-play-batman-villain-black-mask

Nice to see a lesser known villain be featured. I'm sick to death of the usual Batman villains front and center.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: November 02, 2018, 10:05:49 AM »
It's DCMU so DOA.

Good idea, wrong universe.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: November 02, 2018, 11:35:57 AM »
Black Mask is lesser known?

He was in two different animated series, a couple of the animated movies, on Gotham, and in many video games, including a featured role in the Arkham games.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: November 02, 2018, 01:37:53 PM »
*Relatively*. I actually don't remember him from the animated material or anywhere. I had to look him up. He was that unremarkable for me.

Temple Fugate is *lesser* but far more awesome villain. A shame they can't use him as I doubt the writers could do him justice as they will slap on "Super powers".

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: November 02, 2018, 04:29:57 PM »
Black Mask is lesser known?

He was in two different animated series, a couple of the animated movies, on Gotham, and in many video games, including a featured role in the Arkham games.

Still nowhere near the level of the usual top known villains smeared across all kinds of media. If I never see the Joker again it'll be a day too soon.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: November 03, 2018, 11:13:22 PM »
I like The Clock King.

What other media have time stopping mechanics? There's the twilight zone episode, and Clockstoppers, but what else?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 11:17:53 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: November 04, 2018, 01:37:47 AM »
Zach Morris on Saved By the Bell.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: November 04, 2018, 10:13:26 PM »
So, your saying Mark Paul-Gosselaar should play the Clock King? I like it.

Considering what a scheming bastard Zach Morris was he might be great.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #571 on: December 07, 2018, 07:01:13 PM »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: February 01, 2019, 12:45:16 AM »
The Batman is set for 2021 now...

Batman Vs Superman came out in 2016. When we originally were getting excited for the movie was like 5 or 6 years ago. These DC movies come out really slow.

Ben Affleck will not be Batman. Sad, because when it was announced that Ben Affleck would be Batman I was pretty jazzed because The Town was pretty good and he'd be directing his own movie.

Man of Steel came out in 2013 and it was started in 2009.

Since 2008 there have been 21 MCU films and 6 DCEU films. 7 if Green Lantern had counted. 9 if Justice League and BVS had been intelligently been broken into multiple movies. At least Wonder Women 2, Joker, Shazam, and Suicide Squad 2 sound good.

Birds of Prey looks like a photoshoot.

Also why was Steppenwolf done in CG? It makes no sense.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 01:02:38 AM by ThePerm »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #574 on: February 16, 2019, 02:19:54 AM »
When was Cyborg in Doom Patrol?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.