Author Topic: How are y'all Switch Pro Controllers holding up?  (Read 7718 times)

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
How are y'all Switch Pro Controllers holding up?
« on: October 16, 2019, 12:14:08 AM »
Considering getting a pro controller because my joy cons are drifting and I live in Europe. However it sounds like those also have the same drift issue albeit to a lesser extent. Are there any switch controllers out there that are built to last or is the pro the best option?

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: How are y'all Switch Pro Controllers holding up?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 12:35:07 AM »
I can maybe tell you better this weekend.  I've got a break coming up where I can get some play time in, and I have a launch unit.

By the way, is NOE doing the free joy-con repair?  The repair time may not be ideal, but I sent 3 joy-con to NOA and got them back in a few weeks and all it cost me was a trip to the UPS store.  (I already had an appropriately sized box and used some packaging from an amazon order as filler.)
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 02:39:53 AM »
I have two Pro Controllers, one of which was bought at the Switch launch.  Both are working just like the day I took them out of the boxes.  I wholeheartedly recommend picking one up.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 10:20:21 AM »
The D-pad on my launch Pro Controller suffers terribly from that diagonal press issue. I can’t use it to play 2D games. The Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Pro Controllers appear better in that regard but still not great.

It’s an excellent controller otherwise. The D-pad issue is inexcusable particularly from the company that created this functionality.

Offline Grimace the Minace

• Matt Zawodniak
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 11:08:10 AM »
Mine absolutely had drift that started to pop up after a year. I had to buy a second one. I don't know anyone else that has this issue though.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 02:25:48 PM »
Mine absolutely had drift that started to pop up after a year. I had to buy a second one. I don't know anyone else that has this issue though.
Damn, I haven’t even heard of drift on Pro Controllers. If you bought a new one, what did you do to the drifty one? Did you send it to Nintendo?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 05:51:11 PM »
I got one shortly after I got the Switch and have used it a lot since then. It's still going strong. One thing to keep in mind is that the sticks are known to have a problem of creating the white dust from wear faster than most other controllers do, so it's important to clean this out regularly. Similar to the D-pad issue, this seems to affect some controllers more than others. I use a microfiber cloth to clean away the dust and it works fine. This dust can also cause a drift issue so it's good to keep it clean. I've run into the issue a couple of times but was able to fix it with a jet of air into the stick, which I'm guessing cleared away the dust.

As far as the D-pad is concerned, I did notice the extra sensitivity a bit when I first got the controller, but it doesn't seem to happen any more. I dunno if that's because I just needed to "break in" the controller for better use, or maybe it's just the way I use it. But I've used the D-pad a lot and have had no issues after that initial period.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 10:14:42 AM »
No drifting on mine, I got it at launch and have hundreds of hours into it. It still has the same cursed d-pad issue though.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 10:47:36 AM »
It's pretty much a given that if you buy a Pro Controller you're going to have to get "under the hood" and fix a few things. It's not brain surgery but it's definitely annoying for such a high priced product.

My Pro Controller works well and I love it but the left stick stalls at times. Most reports point to just an accumulation of dust which can be fixed by softly blowing on it while tilting the stick in the opposite direction.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2019, 03:32:35 AM »
The D-pad on my launch Pro Controller suffers terribly from that diagonal press issue. I can’t use it to play 2D games. The Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Pro Controllers appear better in that regard but still not great.

It’s an excellent controller otherwise. The D-pad issue is inexcusable particularly from the company that created this functionality.

Same.

Really sucks when I want to use it to play SNES games. Guess I'll end up buying the SNES switch controller whenever they get back in stock.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2019, 03:34:58 AM »
Played some vidya games last night.  Pro controller was working great.  Didn't use the D-pad much, but I do remember having the same problem others described.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2019, 12:38:03 AM »
I decided to get a pro controller for Christmas and I'm very frustrated. The R shoulder button is unresponsive and needs way more force than the L button, only worked around 50% of the time when I was casually tapping it. I've read around and I've seen some people call it a design fault that is common with pros.

I'll try and get a refund or get it replaced, but I just wanted to rant about how terrible Nintendo's hardware is. Makes me look back fondly on the Wii U days when I had zero issues. In my eyes if you buy a Switch Lite you're asking for trouble.

Any 3rd party controller suggestions?

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2019, 03:15:53 AM »
My Pro Controller is still in excellent shape. I think you just got unlucky.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2019, 07:04:22 PM »
No idea how my pro controller is because it got mixed up with a friend's and I now have their scratched up one their kids banged up :P. They live in another state so I'm just not getting mine back, not worth the fuss.

I'm going to buy a replacement shell and use that opportunity to clean it out so hopefully that works out well.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2020, 10:24:47 PM »
I'm surprised to hear that! There's naturally gonna be some faulty units out there, but I dunno how common that R-button thing is.

I played with mine today, and it's still holding up!

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2020, 02:20:56 PM »
My Pro Controller is still in good shape as well. I bought it when Splatoon 2 launched, so it's got more than two years and over 1,000 hours on it (including a fair amount of use with my PC), and it still hasn't given me any real issues. There was some dust from the analog sticks grinding against the edges a bit, but that went away after a short while.

I would definitely try to get a replacement. It's a really good controller overall.