Author Topic: Im waiting for...  (Read 4868 times)

Offline Evilmanman

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Im waiting for...
« on: February 01, 2003, 09:32:55 PM »
1. Legend of zelda: wind waker  to be released in Australia
2. Nintendo to anounce a game timeline that makes sense
3. A game set in the imprisoning war where you control a troop of soldiers.
4. ZELDA TACTICS~!
5. A game that features zelda as the main character- I think there is one but it was released for  a different system (phillips cd-ii?)

These are just some things that I think would be good except for Zelda tactics, i wouldn't play that if they made it.

The only thing i see that is certain to happen is #1. The others might be good though.
THE SECRET IS ON THE EASTERN PENINSULA. I KNOW NOTHING. I AM ERROR.

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
Im waiting for...
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2003, 11:00:26 PM »
If I'm not mistaken Ocarina of Time specifically the end of the game was the Imprisoning War. I know there are differences between what happens in Ocarina and what is said happens in the Link to the Past manual but remember that in the manual it also says that, "But in its passing the lore was often distorted or lost altogether." Later it says, "Memories of the vicious Imprisoning War faded over the generations." Basically certain things that happened in Ocarina were distorted in latter generations retelling of the story.  
Hey, kid! I’m a computer! Stop all the downloadin’! Help computer!

Offline Evilmanman

• View Profile
Im waiting for...
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2003, 10:49:23 PM »
*SPOILERS*

No, the imprisoning war finished right before OoT, because thats when Link was brought to the forest, and then his mum dies. The deku tree tells you at the start. And I think there was a war 100 years before that as well, but im not sure if it's true though. I forgot.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
Im waiting for...
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2003, 04:07:26 AM »
Hey Evilmanman is on the new forums! hurrah!
Yes as for the timeline it would appear that in the many hundreds of years that passed between Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Zelda: A Link to the Past it would appear that the Gorons, Hylians, Gerudo, Sheikah and Kokiri have all died out, with only the (mutated) zora's remaining. Yes I said Hylians because that old sage person says that the Hylians lived long ago and died out. That's why Link can't read their old writing without the book of Mudora. (spelling?) This also raises questions as to what race Link actually is. If I recall in Link's Awakening all the character art of the island inhabitants featured them with round ears. Yet there are still decendants of the sages...
Speaking of the sages the land of hyrule became a very sexist community in LttP. The Goddesses are refered to as 'Gods' and the sages 'wise men'.

But all this really shows that the timeline makes now sense. Metroid was making sense until a certain 3D installment changed all that.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Im waiting for...
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2003, 06:46:55 AM »
who else in zelda has red hair
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Im waiting for...
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2003, 10:33:35 AM »
Would a logical timeline really enhance your enjoyment of the Zelda games?
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Cerberus

• View Profile
Im waiting for...
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2003, 11:38:36 AM »

Would a logical timeline really enhance your enjoyment of the Zelda games?

Yes.  I think a good one is at zeldauniverse.net.
You can pick you friends, you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose.

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
Im waiting for...
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2003, 01:46:19 PM »
This is what the Link to the Past says under the heading Imprisoning War:

"I do not know what Ganon wished for from the Triforce. However, in time evil power began to flow from the Golden Land and greedy men were drawn there to become members of Ganon's army. Black clouds permanently darkened the sky, and many disasters beset Hyrule. The lord of Hyrule sent for the Seven Wise Men and the Knights Of Hyrule, and ordered them to seal the entrance to the Golden Land.

The Triforce, being an inanimate object, cannot judge between good and evil. Therefore, it could not know that Ganon's wishes were evil; it merely granted them. Suspecting that Ganon's power was based on the Triforce's magic, the people of Hyrule forged a sword resistant to magic which could repulse even powers granted by the Triforce. This mighty weapon became known as the blade of evil's bane, or the Master Sword. It was so powerful that only one who was pure of heart and strong of body could wield it. As the Seven Wise Men searched for a valiant person to take up the Master Sword, ganon's evil army swarmed from the tainted Golden Land into Hyrule and attacked the castle. The wise men and the Knights Of Hyrule combined forces to wage war on this evil horde.

The Knights took the full brunt of the fierce attack, and although they fought courageously many a brave soul was lost that day, However, their lives were not lost in vain, for they bought precious time for the Seven Wise Men to magically seal ganon in the Golden land. All of Hyrule rejoiced at the victory that upheld peace and order over Ganon's evil and chaos. This war, which had claimed many lives, became known as the Imprisoning War in stories told in later centuries."

Notice how similar the above is to the events that occurred in Ocarina. Just change a few things around and it's pretty much a summary of what happened in Ocarina. For one the Master Sword was made long before Ganondorf broke into the Sacred Realm. Also replace Knights of Hyrule with Link and everything falls into place.  

Offline Evilmanman

• View Profile
Im waiting for...
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2003, 10:56:40 PM »
Then that means that the imprisoning war was before OoT because the master sword was already made before Link collected the three stone things. And it also raises questions on how old gannondorf is, because it would have to have been a long time before he could come back and pledge alleigence to the king so as people wouldn't recognise him, or it was a different gannon.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Im waiting for...
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2003, 11:16:26 PM »
Actually, if you want to squeeze the imprisoning war into the stories of the games since, it probably happened while Link was sealed away in the sacred realm in OoT.  The story was changed so that the Master Sword was forged before Ganon arrived, but other than that, it's pretty close - and it shows that Ganon won the war for a period until Link came to full age.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
Im waiting for...
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2003, 09:49:12 AM »
I'm going to make one more post on this subject and leave it at that. The Link to the Past manual clearly says that Ganon getting into the Sacred Realm, stealing the Triforce, attacking Hyrule Castle, and being defeated and trapped in the Sacred Realm are part of the Imprisoning War. In fact the last part is the Imprisoning War because Ganon was imprisoned in the Sacred Realm. Get it. That is exactly what happened in Ocarina of Time.

As far as the Master Sword being made after Ganon got the Triforce there is actual a simple way to fit that in with Ocarina.
"It was so powerful that only one who was pure of heart and strong of body could wield it. As the Seven Wise Men searched for a valiant person to take up the Master Sword, ganon's evil army swarmed from the tainted Golden Land into Hyrule and attacked the castle. The wise men and the Knights Of Hyrule combined forces to wage war on this evil horde."
Keep in mind that after Link took the Master Sword he was trapped in the Sacred Realm for 7 years. During that time they were basically still waiting for a hero worthy to use it because they had to wait for Link to grow up. Also during those 7 years Ganon left the Sacred Realm and attacked the castle just like the manual says. Any changes can be explained away by these to quotes from the manual, "But in the passing the lore was often distorted or lost altogether" and "Memories of the vicious Imprisoning War faded over the generations."

The thing about the Knights helping defeat Ganon instead of Link can also be explained by those two quotes. Basically as the story was passed down from generation to generation people found it less and less believable that a boy could defeat Ganon so they put the Knights in his role. It's all very simple.  

We know very little of what happened during the war before Ocarina took place. We know that Link's parents were killed as a result of it (at least his mother anyway) and that he was left in the care of the Deku Tree. I think it's a bit of a leap to say that that has to be the Imprisoning War. Especially when part of the Imprisoning War was Ganon entering the Sacred Realm, stealing the Triforce, attacking Hyrule Castle, and finally being trapped in the Sacred Realm by the Sages. There is no way any of that could have happened before Ocarina because all of that happened during Ocarina.  

Offline Evilmanman

• View Profile
Im waiting for...
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2003, 01:45:01 AM »
Well, using the quote about the distortion of time could go both ways, it says the master sword was created to counter the will of the triforce, and in OoT Gannondorf only got part of it, so there must have been another war before OoT. Also in OoT, if I remember correctly Sheik says that hyrule castle did not last long against Gannon's forces, so it couldn't have been an all out war. And never in any of OoT do you see a knight of hyrule, only guards, in fact the description of the hylian sheild says something along the lines of "this is the shield that the Hylian knights used"- the Key word here is used. neither of us can prove which one is the imprisoning war-only nintendo can do that, but i tend to lean towards that it was before OoT.

Offline enigma487

• Scalar, The Destructor!
    • View Profile
Im waiting for...
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2003, 05:18:45 PM »
ummm...  if i'm not mistaken, didn't nintendo long ago take the stand that all the zelda games weren't in a set timeline?  i.e.  each story just kind of stood on it's own.  but maybe that is to just keep them from creating a set timeline.  which would drastically cut down on availability of story ideas for future games.  just a thought.