Author Topic: Forum Retrospective Playthrough Planning Thread.  (Read 132280 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Forum Retrospective Playthrough Planning Thread.
« on: March 01, 2019, 03:46:52 PM »
It would be like RFN's retroactive thing but without the podcast and hopefully way more often. We pick an old game, play through it, and talk about it in a thread.

Playthrough 1: Pokémon Black and White
Playthrough 2: Lost Reavers
Playthrough 3: Chrono Cross (on pseudo hiatus)
Playthrough 4: Oracle of Ages/Seasons
Playthrough 5: Metroid Other M
Current Nominees:
Super Mario Bros. (Nominated by Shyguy, seconded by Pokepal148,)

Ways a game can become the next Forum Retrospective:

- The game is nominated directly in this thread and two other people express interest in playing the game.

- I see the game discussed in other parts of the forum and at least 3 people express interest in playing through the game

- The game is featured in one of RFN'S retroactive polls and gets second place. If I feel particularly generous* I may even let the game that gets third place in the poll get a forum retrospective thread.

*This is mostly for special cases like the hypothetical return of Clex Yoshi's Russian vote farm or the 2d Zelda retroactive poll that's going on right now where Spirit Tracks and the Oracle games are thoroughly curbstomping the other nominees that have the unfortunate distinction of not including the words "The Legend of Zelda" in their titles. I may change my mind on this at some point though.

I'm not going to rule out doing games that aren't on Nintendo systems for this but those games are going to have to have a lot of interest to get a spot on the poll. Since not all of us own PS4s and Xbones its going to be harder for people to jump into the discussion so more people are going to have to express interest in doing that game up front. I'm thinking like 5 people would have to say they are interested in playing the game although I won't rule out cases where the game is tangentially related to a game on Nintendo platforms and also available on multiple other systems like Chrono Cross is.

Also for a game to be eligible it has to be at least two years old. For major first party Nintendo releases that window extends to four years old.

There is no requirement for price of the game, unlike for retroactive. If someone nominates Cubivore and the two other people who own that game second that nomination than those three people are more than welcome to have a forum retrospective thread for Cubivore, just don't be surprised if that thread doesn't get much participation.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
I love the idea, but have commitment issues and would almost certainly not follow through.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
Sure I like the idea, can't promise I'll always join in of course, but it's worth a shot!
It's probably best to try and find games almost everyone will have access to. So either free to play ones, or ones we can reasonably assume a lot of people can either access, or have played in the past so they can still chime in. 

I don't have a Switch (yet), but the games on Nintendo Online might be a good shout for example. I'd wager many people here probably own those either through Nintendo Online, virtual console on Wii/3DS/Wii U, or maybe on an NES Classic for example.
Earlier today I was wondering if I could convince anyone to try out Lost Reavers with before it goes offline, but I don't wanna throw that out as a suggestion here, because it's a pretty mediocre free to play game by all accounts haha.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
I'd probably want to have two things going. That way we can have something long term like an RPG or something going on without completely alienating people who don't want to plop something like 40 hours into an RPG.

For the first long term slot I'm thinking Pokémon Black and White would work well. A lot of people seem to have strong feelings on the Pokémon series in general but that set of games in particular has a wide variety of opinions. Both myself and Clex Yoshi seem to absolutely adore the game for different reasons while Evan B seems to strongly dislike it. Pokemon Sword and Shield seem to have Pokémon on people's mind so it makes sense to strike while the iron is hot in that sense.

I'm leaning towards probably something from the NES online app or something that's available on a Virtual Console for the short term slot. I don't want to make choices for everyone on both slots because that would be against the whole community aspect of this idea.

So the first game to be nominated by three different people gets the second slot. If two games reach three votes than I'll flip a coin or something. One rule, whatever you push for the second slot has to be fairly short.

I thought about it a bit and I decided I would rather have these be unending discussions, which is something that I believe Jonny mentioned he wanted for Retroactive. If somebody wants to bump the Black and White thread a few years from now to post their thoughts than they are more than welcome to. This means every Forum Retrospective Playthrough thread (Outside of something like Lost Reavers that's about to get shut down.) Is a current Forum Retrospective thread so trying to have rules about how many current forum retrospective threads we have is incredibly stupid.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Pokemon? POKEMON? I'll play through Super Mario Bros...

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
Bumpity bump bump.

Going to second Shy Guy's Super Mario Bros. vote. I own that game three different ways and I only got to world 3 on the 3DS. I need to get a good excuse to play through it.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
Neat idea.  So would you be using this thread for the discussion?  Or trying to generate new threads for each game?  How'd the forum go about choosing what games?  Or you just gonna choose the game, Pokepal?

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
I chose Pokémon Black and White myself because I wanted to ensure that we would lead off with a game that could generate some good and interesting discussion but beyond that basically if 3 people express interest in playing through a game than they can open a thread for it and talk about it there along with anyone who wishes to join them.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
Re: Forum Retrospective Playthrough Planning Thread.
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 06:59:15 PM »
So if a mod can move this thread to Nintendo discussion and probably sticky it that would be really nice. If a nontendo game gets nominated than that thread will just go to General gaming.

Also is everything on this clear? I want to make sure people understand how to nominate games for this.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2020, 04:59:13 PM »
I nominate Super Paper Mario, Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword or Star Fox Adventures as I plan to play at least one of them pretty soon but am willing to select something others might be interested in playing also at the same time like as what happened with Metroid: Other M.

I was going to select Metroid Prime 2: Echoes but I just went ahead and played that over the long weekend. Am going to play through and beat it again on Hard Mode to finish unlocking everything again but, since it is short notice, I'm not going to worry about trying to make others suddenly jump on that train.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2020, 05:01:48 PM »
I also never realized that Oracle of Ages/Seasons was a selection at one time. Played that either before or after Metroid Other M last year. Might yet bump later that to add some thoughts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2020, 05:41:58 PM »
Well with my new Switch Lite I have access to the NES and SNES games because I have the NSO membership. 
I would like to nominate a few games.  Super Mario Bros, The Adventure of Link, Double Dragon II:The Revenge on the NES side.  For SNES... Link to the Past, Super Mario Kart, Stunt Race FX and Kirby Super Star. 
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2020, 05:44:46 PM »
If I recall correctly I said I was going to do Crystalis at some point since it was the non Zelda runner up in the Spirit Tracks retroactive so i wonder if anyone is interested in that one.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2020, 06:30:59 PM »
If I recall correctly I said I was going to do Crystalis at some point since it was the non Zelda runner up in the Spirit Tracks retroactive so i wonder if anyone is interested in that one.
Seconded. I played the GBC version so much growing up.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2020, 06:50:42 PM »
First post is missing the last Retrospective on Metroid Other M.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2020, 05:00:26 PM »
Apologies for the double post, but RFN has announced their next RetroActive episode will pick one of the Switch Online games too. Once again proving the prescient power of the Forum.

Do we stuff their inbox with Eliminator Boat Duel suggestions, or something else?

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2020, 06:01:03 PM »
I'm personally assuming they'll either do a multiplayer game or Crystalis/Rygar.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2020, 05:51:57 PM »
Well huzzah! I dragged my feet on doing the forum retrospective for Crystalis i promised like a year ago for so long that now RFN is basically going to do it for me. What a treat!

I kind of want to do Kirby Super Star. The subgame structure is kind of interesting and we can all do online co-op together. It should be a fun time. Anyone interested?

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2020, 09:07:54 PM »
Man, I feel like I have played Kirby Super Star to death. When I went through it again on the Kirby 25th Anniversary Collection, I just went through it quickly since I knew what to do and get it done to cross off the list of titles offered. However, I also thought that about Super Mario World some 14 - 15 years ago. But playing it with Pokepal148 when it became available on Switch SNES online turned out to be a far more enjoyable time than I expected. Having a second person to play and semi-compete with added a great deal. Going with Mop it up through Kirby's Dream Land 3 was the best experience I'd had with that game also. While you could say that maybe not playing SMW for so long was a factor, I think pokepal148 could attest to the fact that my ability with the game had not rusted and I frequently got through tough areas and levels much better than he did (even when he reduced my lives down to 1 taking the rest for himself. ;) )

It's been a very, very long time since I've played KSS with a second player so I'm up for going through it one more time with another person or two. Maybe I can convince Mop it up why it is still better than most Kirby's games after all this time. Recently I've been experimenting with voice chat on Discord so, unlike SMW and KDL3 where you would be quickly trying to type in between levels, we could skip the Nintendo voice app and use our own on Discord (with blackjack. And hookers!). But I'm still up for it even without voice chat. The only thing is that my gaming focus is just on XC1 right now. Thus, I'd prefer to wait some time before doing this although if we did 1 subgame (maybe two depending on which ones) a play session and keep it short a bit like that then I'd be alright to take some play time away from XC.

So, yes. I'm in. It took me two paragraphs to say yes but...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2020, 07:20:03 PM »
Maybe I can convince Mop it up why it is still better than most Kirby's games after all this time.
Don't count on it. I've already played it on NSO with a friend when it came out, and it served only to solidify my opinion.

That said, I still think it's a good and fun game, just not amongst my fave Kirbys, so I'd still be willing to play through it with you sometime.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2020, 05:26:14 PM »
Here's an idea. Pick a console (Super Nintendo, DS, Switch, whatever) and 3 - 5 games for the system you haven't played or might want to revisit. Post your selection and have other users vote for what you should play. When a title gets three votes then that is the game you play. As you play it through the month of August then you post your thoughts here or in another thread started for this "Retrospective". While it may be a bunch of people playing different games, it could still foster various discussion as people chime in on different titles and see the reactions others have to a game as well as have us all playing something we kind of want to or have been meaning to get around to anyways instead of hoping for a specific title to be suggested.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2020, 12:07:41 AM »
Love the idea, but I have about 60 hours left of Xenoblade at this rate and it's eating all of my time.
On the upside, I really love Xenoblade!
NNID: ejamer

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2020, 02:33:05 AM »
Here's an idea. Pick a console (Super Nintendo, DS, Switch, whatever) and 3 - 5 games for the system you haven't played or might want to revisit. Post your selection and have other users vote for what you should play. When a title gets three votes then that is the game you play. As you play it through the month of August then you post your thoughts here or in another thread started for this "Retrospective". While it may be a bunch of people playing different games, it could still foster various discussion as people chime in on different titles and see the reactions others have to a game as well as have us all playing something we kind of want to or have been meaning to get around to anyways instead of hoping for a specific title to be suggested.
I did you one better.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2020, 12:13:38 AM »
I'm not sure you did but let me try a test run of my suggestion which can dovetail into your idea.

I'm thinking of going back to the Wii U to keep chipping away at my library there. Still a lot of major titles I've got to get through. Here's 5 that are still top of my to-do list for the system. Please vote for the game you suggest I tackle next:

Batman: Arkham City
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
Paper Mario: Color Splash
Yoshi's Woolly World

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2020, 01:48:00 PM »
I'm not sure you did but let me try a test run of my suggestion which can dovetail into your idea.

I'm thinking of going back to the Wii U to keep chipping away at my library there. Still a lot of major titles I've got to get through. Here's 5 that are still top of my to-do list for the system. Please vote for the game you suggest I tackle next:

Batman: Arkham City
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
Paper Mario: Color Splash
Yoshi's Woolly World

Kirby Rainbow Curse is the shortest there by quite a margin, followed by DK and then Yoshi. I wouldn't play Kirby and Yoshi back to back, due to similarities in art style, music and difficulty.