Author Topic: Game Of Thrones -Spoiler Thread- Be Caught Up  (Read 17745 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Game Of Thrones
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2019, 09:06:21 PM »
No need to spoiler.

Someone change the thread title to *SPOILER THREAD*

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2019, 10:32:36 PM »

https://youtu.be/5BPkIyHVaAk

That's for John Wick's Dog!

as a side note, I hope HBO fixes the gamma levels on this episode in the future.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2019, 11:40:56 PM »
Some folks theorize the lighting could have been on purpose, because it was an "alternate timeline" that Bran was running through or something. It was a mess visually and ruined the episode for my wife.  was more tolerant of it because of what happened in the episode, but still frustrating to deal with.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2019, 12:35:11 AM »
The action was hard to follow which wasn't entirely unexpected for an episode called "The Long Night". I think at least some of it was intentional to mimic the chaotic nature of the battle. I was wondering if maybe I was having trouble keeping up because I'm old now and everything hurts.

Theon's death seemed largely unnecessary since Arya FTW like 30 seconds later. Still, I liked how nicely it tied up his arc. Theon lost his way when he sacked Winterfell, and took Bran and Rickon hostage so it was appropriate for him to come full circle by not only defending Winterfell but Bran too.

I couldn't tell who was still alive in the crypt besides Sansa, Tyrion, and Varys.My brother asked if one of the women getting murder-death-killed was Gilly. I haven't seen her on a confirmed death list. Dolorous Edd, Beric Dondarrion, Lyanna Mormont, Theon Greyjoy, Jorah the Explorer, Melisandre, and of course, The Night King were the only confirmed deaths.

I liked that Arya was ultimately the one who destroyed The Night King (because who doesn't like Arya?) though I felt it was anticlimactic. I expected a bigger fight. Instead, The Night King just Jason Voorhees'd over to Charles Xavier under the Weirwood Tree. And just what were his lieutenants (?) doing while Arya just ran up on him? Throw a spear, something.

There's still hope for Cleganebowl in the last three episodes. And everyone is expecting Cersei to be Games of the Throne's final boss, but what if it's Daenerys?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2019, 02:23:55 AM »
If you have any sort of expectation of hope for something, or interest in seeing it happen in this series then that means it will be murdered with a pillow.

Who's a tertiary character? They're getting the throne.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2019, 06:33:53 AM »
so Arya Stark is gonna become the Night Queen now that she killed the Night King?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2019, 08:36:15 AM »
People are complaining that Arya is a Mary Sue because she killed The Night King. I’m beginning to think people didn’t watch the previous seven seasons and don’t know understand what a Mary Sue is.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2019, 10:19:35 AM »
Well..... she she not only made it out to that tree undetected, but snuck past all the undead including the generals undetected, then somehow jumped off of something to get that top dowm angle on the Night King.

I love that it was her that did it, but it seemed awful convenient that she was able to do it so easily.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2019, 03:50:12 PM »
Its going to be revealed that Bran helped get her past the walkers. He had to be doing something with all that warging.
My Game Collection

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2019, 08:57:31 PM »
Arya had a  lot of counter detection training. She can shapeshift after all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOTVKLbqmdc
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 08:09:15 PM by ThePerm »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
Re: Game Of Thrones -Spoiler Thread- Be Caught Up
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2019, 06:42:08 PM »
From the video above.

31:45 Arya - You used to be taller
31:50 Jon - How did you sneak up on me?

Look at the location. That ****'s great.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2019, 08:42:42 PM »
can't see the video....

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2019, 12:15:33 AM »
I wanted there to be a twist, with the Night King coming back and starting a new army in Winterfell and heading south, but looks like that won't be happening after tonight. Just don't feel like Cersei should be the final villain.
My Game Collection

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2019, 12:28:02 AM »
The video was on the previous post.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOTVKLbqmdc

The Night King was one of many failed campaigns for the throne.

I don't think any of this is going to go how you all think it will.

I don't think Cersei, Danny, or Jon will rule. They'll all run very intriguing campaigns, but ultimately fail as a group.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 12:35:42 AM by ThePerm »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2019, 01:04:31 AM »
Just don't feel like Cersei should be the final villain.
Lucky you then. It’s Daenerys. 🎶 dramatic sound effect 🎶

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2019, 10:55:39 PM »
Finally had a chance to catch up on this season today.

Well, I see they brought in George Lucas to punch up some of the dialogue this season.

I was quoting SO MANY LOTR lines during the Battle of Winterfell.

They passed up the chance to have Dead Sean Bean rise up during the Battle of Winterfell. Why wouldn't you want to do that?  :P
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2019, 12:46:04 PM »
Yeah, the crypt twist was totally squandered. So much more they could have done with it, or at least killed more people.

I was half hoping that Bran would raise his own wight army of the fallen Starks to fight back. And how did they bust through stone when the one they captured last season couldn't break open a wooden box?

I read the final episode spoilers and I am hoping they are wrong. They did film multiple endings. I kinda hope they went so far with the alternate endings that the DVD edition will let you choose alternate endings similar to Clue or I am Legend. Can't make everyone happy with one ending, at least give us several to satisfy most of us. Though it is the botched journey that kills it. I loved the show S1-6 & I tolerated 7 as it felt rushed (and I turned off my brain for the wight hunt, as there were better ways to achieve what they pulled off there). But the last two episodes have been a train wreck. Gotta see it through, but really hoping they pull off some sort of clutch turn that makes the recent mess more justified.
My Game Collection

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2019, 01:45:03 PM »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2019, 06:03:49 PM »
Lol

I'm actually very curious why Danaerys didn't circle around low to the water, come from behind and torch the ships.

Even more surprised they could be snuck up on from such a height by slow moving ships.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2019, 06:28:31 PM »
Lol

I'm actually very curious why Danaerys didn't circle around low to the water, come from behind and torch the ships.

Even more surprised they could be snuck up on from such a height by slow moving ships.

Right? You think they would see the ships for like 50 miles.

I theorize there might be a cave filled with 1000s of Dragon Eggs though. The Dragons flew off and were away for some time.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2019, 12:00:33 AM »
Or I guess the scorpions were not that big a threat after all. Also, Mad Queen Alert.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2019, 09:56:36 AM »
So the dragon lady is evil?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2019, 10:37:09 AM »
That was a lame episode. It's becoming increasingly obvious that the actual writers for this show aren't very good once they reached the limits of the source material.

I don't necessarily have a problem with where all the characters ended up so much as how they got there. Also, how did Dany have ANY Dothraki & Unsullied after the Battle of Winterfell, let ALONE enough to significantly challenge King's Landing? We SAW the Dothraki in particular get completely wiped out in the first WAVE of the attack, aside from a few stragglers who cane running back.

And yeah, after all the build-up with those ballistas, Dany just turns on her plot armor to roast them all uncontested. It's just watching Captain Marvel.

There's just a lot of really shitty writing this season.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2019, 11:03:31 AM »
I'm conflicted. Felt like a return to form for Drogon and Dany. We've spent the past season thinking the dragons were vulnerable (which is contrary to previous encounters, Drogon took a lot of arrows in Meereen's fighting pits and was fine, plus he took a ballista bolt and was also fine) and now she kicks ass. But it was still a mess in so many ways. We half thought Arya was going to find a still functional ballista and shoot down Drogon to stop the carnage. It was almost like she was hearing voices like the Mad King did, but we should have heard them ourselves as the viewer if that was the case. Maybe she is being manipulated by Bran. I still think he has a role to play with it all and will be part of a big reveal last episode. Either Bran is possessed by the Night King or it will be revealed Bran caused everything on accident and was trying to get Dany to stop as well as the Mad King (he was the voice but unintentionally drove them mad instead).

I don't blame the writers. Its all because George couldn't finish his series. Read a great breakdown of it online this morning between plotters and pantsers. Plotters plan things out in detail, pantsers write by the seat of their pands. George did both, plotted the main story beats, but pantsed the characters and what they would do in each situation. The problem is that led to an organic expansion of the story and took on a life of its own. George now has no idea how to wrap up all of the plots he has going. It is just too complex.

The show runners tried to copy the detail and we got S5-6, which botched some plots like the entirety of Dorne. So they decided to focus on making the landing over how they got there for S7-8. This is why the characters all feel so different. They are not acting as they would, because now they are agents of the plot, going and doing what is needed to make the ending happen.

So the ending will most likely be satisfying, but feel totally unearned with what has happened the last few years. But I don't blame the showrunners like a lot of folks are doing, though they brought the mess on themselves by how they talked in the "behind the thrones" videos, as a lot of their statements about "we forgot..." and "I don't know, you figure it out" have just driven fans mad.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 11:11:08 AM by Stratos »
My Game Collection

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2019, 11:21:53 AM »

And yeah, after all the build-up with those ballistas, Dany just turns on her plot armor to roast them all uncontested. It's just watching Captain Marvel.
Damn, son. Shots fired.
There's just a lot of really shitty writing this season.
To expand, some characters are really inconsistent. For Jamie and Cersei to end up where they did, the writers threw out at least four seasons worth of development for both characters. They had vastly different character arcs. Cersei became more evil. Jamie became more heroic with the caveat of having to live with his evil deeds which is what gave him depth and made him such a compelling character as the series progressed. Leaving Brienne to stop Cersei would have been a fitting end. He doesn’t get a happy ending because he has to atone for helping create the monster Cersei became, right?

I felt like the writers wanted people to feel sympathy for Cersei, and I just couldn’t get there because her love for her children is literally her only positive character trait (that and her cheekbones). The writers set Jamie up over the course of whole seasons to kill Cersei or at least completely denounce just how evil she became. Becoming the Queenslayer and killing the one person he thought he never could felt like his entire arc. It was one of the things the writers still did well after passing the source material. The counter argument I’ve already seen is that Game of Thrones has been subverting fantasy tropes for its entire run. That doesn’t really fit here because it shouldn’t be subverting basic tenets of storytelling. They built a character up a certain way and swerved at the very last second.

I didn’t feel like Daenerys’ Mad Queen heel turn was necessarily earned though it isn’t as bad as Azula’s burst of psychosis at the end of Avatar: The Last Airbender. There were hints, but Daenerys didn’t quite get there. I felt like they could have used a few more episodes to really build that up.

Arya had plot armor and a convenient horse though I’ve read this may be Bran warging (personally doubt it). Euron never became more than a mustache twirling villain. Fighting Jamie had no real build up. Euron making back to shore at that exact spot and at that exact moment is a problem the writers had with convenience and time since leapfrogging the books. It seemed more to merely slow Jamie down which they didn’t really need because Pac-Man-ing around a maze of debris in The Red Keep slowed him down enough.

We finally got Cleganebowl. I would have preferred The Hound lived by merely pushing The Mountain into the fire below then escaping King’s Landing to be a fucking farmer or something. Killing his brother with fire is appropriate so I’m not finding fault in that choice. I just would have like to have seen Sandor live.

Prediction: Arya kills Daenerys by using someone else’s face. I’m trying to decide if it’s Jon Snow or Grey Worm. I suspect we’ll get a one on one between those two in the Finale. I’m also bad at predictions. 🤷â€â™€ï¸