Author Topic: Why are all the game cube controllers the same?  (Read 3358 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Why are all the game cube controllers the same?
« on: July 11, 2004, 11:58:51 PM »
How come practically all the third party controllers for the gamecube (like Madcatz, Pelican, Intec) are just a variation on Nintendo's orginal design? I for one would like a controller that shapes the X and Y buttons like the B button and puts a hat on the C stick instead of just the nubbin.  This wouldn't affect gameplay, so there's no real reason they couldn't do it.

I guess it's that way for pretty much all the consoles though, cheap knockoffs of the original gamepads.  Is there any 3rd party hardware makers out there that have their own style?

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Why are all the game cube controllers the same?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 01:38:13 AM »
Not really. A third party controller these days is just basically something that'll last you throughout a multiplayer night, then it'll fall to bits. With dodgy slow motion and auto fire that don't work too good.  

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 03:21:14 AM »
I remember that there was one N64 controller that varied from NIntendo's design and it looked and felt like a sin.  Don't remember who made it but there were only two prongs and the z button was really akwardly placed.  I guess third parties stick with Nintendo's design because they are trying to create an alternative and cheaper solution that works like a Nintendo controller.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 07:03:02 AM »
When I read this title I was initially confused as if the thread starter thought that Nintendo should make a custom design for every controller.

I agree that there should be some unique variations with third party Cube controllers because the Cube controller is arguably flawed and thus making a Cube controller with a huge d-pad or a traditional button layout would sell to more than the usual cheapskates.  I'm considering getting some Hori digital controllers to play the MK trilogy on Midway Arcade Treasures 2 because I want a better d-pad for it.  I would never buy a cheap piece of crap third party controller but I would consider buying a well made one with the buttons arranged like the SNES controller.  There's a market here that's being ignored.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2004, 07:59:44 AM »
It's the same with all other systems, too. Try finding a PC controller that uses a design different from all those sony-clone devices...

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2004, 10:16:31 AM »
I actually never really had a problem with the d-pad on the GCN.  I mean atleast is isn't like sony's and controlling Vyse was much easier with the gcn d-pad than controlling Squall or Zidane with the psx d-pad.  Plus most games are better with the joystick anyways.  The only 3rd party controller I really liked was the NES style of the PS2 controller by Mad Catz.
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2004, 10:28:49 AM »
"I actually never really had a problem with the d-pad on the GCN. I mean atleast is isn't like sony's"

Saying the Cube d-pad is better than Sony's is like saying that falling in barbed wire isn't as painful as falling in razor wire.  You're correct by neither of them are that great.

Offline Darc Requiem

• View Profile
RE:Why are all the game cube controllers the same?
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2004, 12:18:05 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"I actually never really had a problem with the d-pad on the GCN. I mean atleast is isn't like sony's"

Saying the Cube d-pad is better than Sony's is like saying that falling in barbed wire isn't as painful as falling in razor wire.  You're correct by neither of them are that great.

ROTFLLMAO I'm sorry but that was just too damned funny. I agree, I miss the days when third party companies would actually make there own design. Everything is so cookie cutter now. I don't care for Logitechs wireless X-box controller but at least they took a shot a varying the design.

Darc Requiem
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2004, 06:50:46 PM »
Don't get me wrong I like the Gamecube controller the best out of the three consoles right now, but it could use some improvements:

bigger d pad

round x and y buttons

a second z button, slightly larger

C stick with a hat like the control stick

It does get some thing right though, it feels great in my hands even after several hours of play, the octagon around the analog sticks is smart, and I like the larger A button.

Making controllers is, I imagine, probably one of the most difficult aspects of console design. You may not notice flaws until hours after play, or only on certain games; durability has to be tested over months and months; and you have to test it over dozens and dozens of sizes and shapes of hands.

Take for example, the X box S-type controller.  it seems okay at first but after awhile I notice the feet of the controller are at too wide of an angle and it causes my hand to start cramping.  a few millimeters change in the design would have made all the difference.

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2004, 09:05:54 PM »
I generally find the Logitech "AirFlow" 3rd party controllers to be equal too, or superior, to the original versions.  Damn nice controllers.  Without a doubt i prefer the Xbox Airflow to either of the official ones.

The Hori pad is a good mention, theyre releasing a similar thing for the PS2 as well, but based off of the Sega Saturn design O_o

I'm not sure why there aren't any more "standard" 4 button facepads for the cube controller... the closest you can get to that is a cube to PS2 port... Which really isn't a bad thing for some games.

Offline Nephilim

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2004, 12:09:07 AM »
iv got a true blu one, It doesnt work with vitua striker 3 sadly
other then thats it pretty good and strong
the L and R seem to be better then the cube ones in not going loose, only thing is the click if pushed down to far
still doesnt beat the og cube control......sadly the ones iv seen with a big D pad look bad

Offline soulfate

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2004, 01:35:00 AM »
Don't buy 3rd party controllers! They always break. Buy ninty! *cheesy wink --> *
Buy yeah, Ninty's the best. Except one of the N64 3rd party ones had a useable non-blister giving stick *sigh of relief*

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2004, 05:36:16 AM »
It would be cool cool if Sega could create a controller for the gamecube because I still don't believe size of d-pad is really the problem.  Its more like position and space on the controller.  If they had a wide enough area like they did on the dreamcast hell we can an awesome positions.  

It would be great if we didn't have to move our thumb in a horizontal position to the right.  I was thinking of a controller where when you rest your left thumb right diagnal up it would kind be between the d-pad and joystick and all you have to do is make little movements.

As for a right joystick I really expected Nintendo to create some games that would truly use it like Ape Escape.  That platformer is like thinking in Nintendo's direction.  Its not much different than using a d-pad or c-buttons so I think they should get rid of the c-stick and use a psx style d-pad since I really like the use of the c-buttons (it was like a right d-pad).

The b-button just needs to be bigger.
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2004, 08:07:58 AM »
I like the C stick better than a C pad would be. Less restrictive. Also, as the C indicates, it's meant for camera control.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2004, 09:21:39 AM »
yeah now that sega is out of the console business..who said they shouldnt make controllers!
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline UniversalJuan

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2004, 10:39:36 AM »

Originally posted by: Syl
I generally find the Logitech "AirFlow" 3rd party controllers to be equal too, or superior, to the original versions.  Damn nice controllers.  Without a doubt i prefer the Xbox Airflow to either of the official ones.

Just a quick correction chime in. I'm quite positive that it's nYko (My favorite hardware 3rd party...damnit they gave us the Worm Light!) who makes the AirFlo (I own one, friends treated it like crap, need to buy a new one).

They gave a war, nobody came, imagine all the fuss. They'd have to send themselves instead of...sending us. Yeah (People of the Generation - by Scatman John)

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude
The greatest game of all time is Super Smash Bros Brawl.  It

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2004, 10:44:48 AM »
yeah, i noticed that after i typed it, it is NYKO, not logitech.

I think i was looking at my mouse or something...thats like the 10th major mistake i've said recently, i can't wait till i stop taking these pain pills so that my brain functions correctly >_<

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2004, 01:01:25 PM »

Originally posted by: Syl
yeah, i noticed that after i typed it, it is NYKO, not logitech.

I think i was looking at my mouse or something...thats like the 10th major mistake i've said recently, i can't wait till i stop taking these pain pills so that my brain functions correctly >_<

What are you on pain pills for there syl?

I have yet to find a 3rd party controller that I liked as much as a first party controller since my old SNES trubo pad.  I can't even remember who made it now, I remember it being bigger and clear, but setup identical, making it quite comftorble.  It got stepped on.

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2004, 02:24:12 PM »
I had my wisdom teeth removed last week, That in itself didn't hurt at all, completely painless, don't remember a thing.

If i don't take the pills my mouth starts swelling and feeling sore though, i'll stick with them for another day or so, but the "entire body numbness" is becoming more annoying than the simple "mouth slightly throbbing"