Author Topic: Mafia 88: Hey Pikmin, Four..m A Mafia! Day 10.  (Read 15107 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Mafia 88: Hey Pikmin, Four..m A Mafia! Day 10.
« on: February 20, 2022, 11:34:08 PM »
Whither story posts...  :-[
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia 88: Hey Pikmin, Four..m A Mafia! Day 10.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2022, 11:45:45 PM »
Announcements Post

Thank you for being patient with me. This was not a good time for me and the endgame as I've gone away on this long weekend and am away from my computer. Just have a crappy iPad in which half the touchscreen seems unresponsive or incorrectly selecting things. Finally got myself a decent computer I can use for a bit here to get this typed up and done.

Dead

Bungle5 - Townie (Killed by Day Vote)

Uh-oh. That's not good for the townies. What did the Mafia do?

Mafia Orders: Recruit

Well, if the recruit was successful, this would be Game Over. However, there is a chance it could fail because the Doctor is still in play and the rules state:

The Doctor can protect any player they want from the night actions. This means the player cannot be killed (unless the player making the hit has an ability to nullify the protection) nor can the player be recruited or investigated.

The Doctor did send in a protection for Night 9. The Doctor choose to protect ThePerm.

Who did the Mafia select to recruit?

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2022, 11:52:06 PM »
The Mafia choose....TOPHATANT123 aka Scornet Maestro/Townie Doctor. TOPHATANT123 did not have a non-recruitable status effect assigned to him. Therefore, TOPHATANT123 is successfully recruited into the Mafia as, let's say, a Red Pikmin. That means the Mafia has established a tie!

Stratos - Olimar
TOPHATANT123 - Red Pikmin
Order.RSS - Townie
ThePerm - Emperor Bulblax/Chief Detective

IT'S A MAFIA VICTORY!!!

The winners of Mafia 88:

Stratos
BeautifulShy
Xander
MASB
ShyGuy
TOPHATANT123

The game is over. Now you get to tell me how much you think this whole recruitment thing sucked and all the other stuff you didn't like about it or think needs to be changed for next time.  ;)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2022, 11:54:46 PM »
Breadbug is pleased with this endeavor as it means Breadbug gets to eat ALL of the food!
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2022, 11:55:16 PM »
Stratos pulled off an impressive win.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2022, 11:59:20 PM »
Amazing win everyone!!!! 

It was a uphill battle after I was taken out via elemental damage and then from there we went to going with Stratos doing the hits till he took damage.  We also had bomb rocks on MASB and Stratos at different points in the game and thus that is why there was those odd voteouts by MASB and Stratos. 

We plucked and plucked pikmin to buy time and once the message from Perm came that there was no one else to search and there was only townies remaining and Stratos as GF and showing up as a townie I knew there was a thin chance of winning. 

Good job Team Pikmin!!!
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2022, 12:08:21 AM »
Much congratulations to Breadbug which also won for best roleplay in this game!

I'll be home again tomorrow and should be able to post a recap of the game and all the actions that occurred including those bomb rocks once I can see my notes again. In the meantime, feel free to go ahead and post your sides of the story.

The one thing I'll highlight right now that most people were probably unaware of is that on Day 1, ThePerm's first investigation was TOPHATANT123 so the detective and doctor were working together right from the start of this game. It was a great start for the townies and with some early stumbles by the Mafia, I'm really surprised this is how the game ended. I had some complaints from the Mafia, mainly MASB ;), that they seemed to be disadvantaged or that the game was really skewed against the Mafia but based on this ending, I'm still wondering if the Mafia wasn't too powerful. But the townies definitely had chances to win this and stop that last member or block this last recruitment even so maybe it was just balanced enough. You just never know how things are going to play out.

Again, I thought ThePerm was going to follow-up his win as Godfather last game with a win as Chief Detective for the townies this game and show everyone that he's a top two-way player being able to easily win as mafia or townie. He ended up just falling short this game instead. Meanwhile, Order.RSS is still looking for redemption from the Luigi's Mansion game.... and Harvest Moon game... and now this game... (I'm sorry Steeforder.Rsssaurus. I just realized that as I was thinking about who was left.)

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2022, 12:27:02 AM »
I figured we would need to keep track of possible roles and how people were voting so I suggested a spread sheet or google doc and Stratos set it up.

Here it is.  I need to update the day vote section of the spreadsheet but I was pretty diligent in updating it after each night and looking at the results. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vICpMUheoNA1Mz4s7g5wlVU4jTtx2VbmCRkzHoQV1VU/edit?usp=sharing
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2022, 12:41:42 AM »
I even had some wierd theories on peoples roles based on how they answer the bomb rock question.   

Instead of my typical Who do you think is mafia Day 1 PM that I would ask everyone I figured I would spice it up and it was more about how a player would respond if a bomb rock landed on them and who would they throw it back at.

Some of you answered that question while others gave me responses that was you had no clue what a bomb rock was and others responded with they would send it back to everyone or you would respond with aggressiveness back at me.   All interesting responses but the responses told me their mindset in the game. 

Oh yeah about the Mop it up question I think I sent that to everyone and as someone noted they were all personalized based on her list order and anything they said during the game and  trying to save everyone behind me on her list since if I wasn't voted out then they would be safe as well. 

Unfortunately a lot of those PMs came when the next day was wrapping up in the morning  so there was no movement to Mop it up.  Alas I should of worked earlier in the day but I think that day I had to go out to Mesa in the morning to turn in more Housing Voucher program paperwork.   That being said it was nice just enjoying the game from the sidelines and try to piece things together.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2022, 12:45:06 AM »
I finally got a non townie role and I got gimped on day 1.

Also, I will be making the pikmin dead chat publicly available to all players.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2022, 01:30:27 AM »
ThePerm you have to explain your pikmin video on day 1.

In retrospect it seems like you found the doc right away but I had you pegged as the doc or vig based on that video. Also what was that creature in the shadows in the latter part of the video? 

I am not up on my Pikmin lore and creatures.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 01:34:03 AM by BeautifulShy »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2022, 02:29:49 AM »
I blame the bottle cap I flipped. I will be thoroughly be smashing that bottle cap with a hammer.

I also hadn't expected to wake up to the thread closed having been followed off the cliff like lemmings. I was going to flip my vote. but didn't do it in time. I also am going to be weary to play a game with a bomber role again. Especially since the bomber took out 2 people while dead. There are too many annoying things about the bomber role.

I was really excited to get Wah in the fold as a vigilante. One of the difficulties in the game is you can't research the godfather. So, the only way to know is process of elimination or if someone is really suspicious. Both bungle and stratos were acting weird. Bungle just didn't do the math and should have been a little more active as a townie. I should have had Wahtake out Stratos the day before yesterday, but I didn't want to turn Wah into a killer in case Stratos was just a townie. I gave him the choice.

If we don't eliminate the mafia in the next 2 days, we're going to play the rest of the game as if we are the mafia. Because we're insiders, and they're outsiders and it's like the same thing.

Blue Pikmin is going today or tommorow by vote. If MASB isn't the blue pikmin then bungle5 is.

I assume one of the vetted townies could be a mole godfather. Either that or one of the 2 unvetted townies.

You, Myself, and Tophatant123 are the only people I can research that come up as something other than Regular townie. My research is useless after blue pikmin is gone.

This is the list of townies that could be a mole godfather.

1. Stratos - Outed me as the person releasing the vetted townie list, Shyguy said Vote Stratos when he had been outed as red pikmin. Shyguy has been a townie up until that day. He was only just been recruited. So this could have been ratting. Stratos was the last person to join the banddwagon.

2. Luigi Dude  - Pushed the vote for MASB, if he ends up being a regular townie that could be suspicious. But it isn't that suspicious, there are only 2 choices.

3. Order.Rss - in the last game I was a mole godfather and I played him, it would be Karma for me. But also the last possibility. It would be an interesting twist.

Let's hope we just wrap this up in the next 2 days as winners and don't have to go down the list. Of course the list order can change depending on how cagey those guys start to act. and also at some point the godfather can recruit again.

I'll leave it up to you if you want to jump the gun and target someone. Either we're wrong and we just out you and vote you out when we've gotten rid of the remaining un-vetted, or we're right and we save ourselves an extra day.

The extra cautious thing is to do nothing though.

But the mafia have to eliminate someone tonight. :/ So, that kind of sucks because we don't know who it's going to be. It could be you, order.rss, tophatant, bungle5 if he isn't the godfather, or luigi dude. It would be me, but I already had Tophatant send me the protection. Unless he's lying. Which I don't have reason to believe. Tommorow Tophatant will be more important than my role. I'll be teethless as an investigator. I do get updates if people get converted though.

Though if too many people go too quickly it could mess up our numbers if they recruit someone. I'm thinking out loud. Might be best to wait. We're in a really good position now.

I should have been more decisive. Good game Stratos.

ThePerm you have to explain your pikmin video on day 1.

In retrospect it seems like you found the doc right away but I had you pegged as the doc or vig based on that video. Also what was that creature in the shadows in the latter part of the video? 

I am not up on my Pikmin lore and creatures.

About a month ago I found out how to use Mixamo.com to rig any 3d model. It makes it super simple. Rigging was something I never liked doing.

It's just my ThePerm character doing a hip hop dance with some some pikmin, there is a bulborb in the background walking around. He has a path finding algorithm making him move, so he's heading to a mushroom on the other side of the map. There was no in-game plot significance. I grabbed the pikmin characters off of Sketfab, converted them to fbx files in cineam 3d, and then rigged them in Mixamo. I made that perm model probably sometime in 2011.

But Tophatant123 was the first person I researched. So I could trust them throughout the game. I didn't hit on Wah until the very end. Wah would have been trustable. I was hoping to catch the vote changer, but they didn't bite. Myself, Nickmitch, and Order.RSS had an elaborate method to vet them. But they got killed.

Also CONGRATULATIONS TOPHATANT123!!!! MVP
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 02:49:03 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2022, 03:02:19 AM »
A lot of us in the Mafia thought you found  the vig right away with your search an told Wah to go after pokepal but I guess that was just some form of vendeta on pokepal. 

With the bomb rocks I like the idea of and they were fairly easy to pass along to another player or get rid of in a vote out.

The issue in part I bet with Wah is the the bomb was either on the last day when it got to him or it got to him on the timer of 2 of 3 and then the next day wrapped up too soon and it exploded on him or just missed out on sending the bomb to someone else before exploding.

I think the tricky part is when you receive the bomb and the limited time to do with the bombs before they explode.   The Mafia had to use a recon yellow pikmin to figure out where the bomb was so there was no hit.  I think if the bomb rocks return(which they will in a future game) there needs to be a counter balance for the townies.  Like a creature that detects the bomb for the townie side so they are not blindsided.

There was also lots of discussion in the dead thread about if the bomb gets thrown back at the bomber does it explode right away or does it stay on their normal timer for every circumstance?   What happens if Olimar uses a hit on the bomber?  Do both go down or does Olimar only lose a certain amount of HP?     

Interesting discussion to be had. 
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2022, 03:31:04 AM »
Congratulations Stratos, well-played! Apologies to Bungle5, we got it wrong.
Think Wah has to be the Townie MVP.

I genuinely didn't know who to go for between Stratos and Bungle. Stratos was my primary suspect initially, but I kinda talked myself out of it (see below).

It was smart not to immediately kill/recruit ThePerm the moment Stratos got searched. One of the big reasons I went for Bungle was because Stratos had been embedded since Day 7 but our chain of passing info remained intact despite being very obvious.

The case for Stratos being mafia
Xander is just absent and has a growing bandwagon against him. It's 2-3 with the No Votes. Mafia decide to cut him and put one of their own in Townie graces (MASB, is the killing blow). They Recruit Shyguy soon anyway so what does it matter right? Lost nothing.

Except, Day 7 i post the Detective findings.
Before those findings are public there is 1 vote (mine) on WAH which nobody joins and I change after your message.
After the findings go public, 4 votes quickly stack on Shyguy, which they can no longer surpass (Mafia=Shyguy, MASB, godfather)

Recruit Shyguy himself votes for Stratos.
Possibilities:
1. He's pissed at being recruited and rats out fellow Mafia member Stratos.
2. Shyguy's trying a wildcard idea to start a late bandwagon against Townie Stratos, even though they don't have the numbers?
3. Shyguy knows he's a goner, the Mafia use him to bury the trail on Stratos like they also did with Xander (and until then, did so successfully, as MASB is still in the game). I like this idea since it's a pattern.

Stratos' votes are 2 late bandwagons (on Shyguy and MASB) which the Mafia could not overturn or equal.

Thanks to Khush for hosting another round!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2022, 04:05:00 AM »
Wait... I fully thought Tophatant123 was going to explode.

I have received a bomb rock, could be useful. Only 5 players left.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2022, 04:54:03 AM »
Wait... I fully thought Tophatant123 was going to explode.

I have received a bomb rock, could be useful. Only 5 players left.

Depends on the timer and how much time was left on it.  Assuming it was sent on Night 7 before stevey was killed so the counter starts. Night 8, Night9 is 2 timer clicks.   Townies would of had to made it to Night 10 for the bomb to go off.

There was a way to do it on Day 9 before voting out Bungle.  No vote on day 9.  Mafia recruits.  Townies 3 Mafia 2. You find the GF on Day 10 in a vote.  Bomb goes off on Night 10.  No more Mafia and 3 townies win.

To add to this say TopHatAnt gets recruited again on Night 9.  TopHat would of had to either pass on the bomb that night to someone or vote out either Perm, Bungle or Order.RSS and would show the hand of getting rid of the bomb rock in voting someone out thus likely would of been voted out that day.   

The only way out of it for the Mafia was if two townies voted for another townie and then TopHatAnt123 would have created a majority but there would be 90 mins to change votes and assuming Bungle, Perm or Order was around that would of been a voteout of Tophatant123 and then the GF remains for day 10 and in all likelihood the townies win unless tophat threw the bomb rock at the detective and then it comes down to Bungle, Order and Stratos.   Combined votes on Stratos wins it for the townies. One missed vote goes to mafia side most likely and Mafia win.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 05:06:05 AM by BeautifulShy »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2022, 05:51:49 AM »
Really great game everyone.

There were two opportunities to win, we could have gone Stratos instead of Bungle. 50/50, I'll take a lot of the blame for that one as I was always leaning Bungle. Dismissing the evidence against Stratos as coincidence or inactivity.

Then there was a 1/3 chance to protect the right person during the last night. As a loyal doctor I put others above myself and it cost us the game.

A string of good luck brought us to that point. Wah had some excellent hits and the mafia had lost BeautifulShy by chance. So the townies probably didn't deserve to win, but it was a hard fought battle all the way up to day 10.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2022, 06:07:00 AM »
Really great game everyone.

There were two opportunities to win, we could have gone Stratos instead of Bungle. 50/50, I'll take a lot of the blame for that one as I was always leaning Bungle. Dismissing the evidence against Stratos as coincidence or inactivity.

Then there was a 1/3 chance to protect the right person during the last night. As a loyal doctor I put others above myself and it cost us the game.

A string of good luck brought us to that point. Wah had some excellent hits and the mafia had lost BeautifulShy by chance. So the townies probably didn't deserve to win, but it was a hard fought battle all the way up to day 10.

Mop it up proposed this in the dead chat that if Order.RSS was recruited that would of been an option since they would of not likely been protected.   

Did you consider protecting anyone but Perm that last night? 

One other question.  Did you protect anyone else but Perm the whole game?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 06:10:52 AM by BeautifulShy »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2022, 08:55:17 AM »
I was screwed over, not by the game but by the string of bad weather that stranded me in the Netherlands unable to keep up with the game - my phone had a meltdown half way through going there.

Well done everybody.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2022, 09:29:17 AM »
On the last day post I said something like "detective skills" to try and make the godfather think I was the detective. In theory they would avoid me, assuming I would be protected, and go for either Perm or Order. But my bluff didn't work.

Even though I had met the detective on day one, I only started protecting them on day 3, when there would be a higher probability of me protecting someone successfully and when the bombs would come into play.

On day 3 I protected ThePerm as well as Mop it up (who BeautifulShy had tried to rally against) and Order.rss (who we had investigated as a townie).

That was also a fatal mistake, if I had kept those two protections until the end then the townies would have won the game.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2022, 11:36:47 AM »
On the last day post I said something like "detective skills" to try and make the godfather think I was the detective. In theory they would avoid me, assuming I would be protected, and go for either Perm or Order. But my bluff didn't work.

Even though I had met the detective on day one, I only started protecting them on day 3, when there would be a higher probability of me protecting someone successfully and when the bombs would come into play.

On day 3 I protected ThePerm as well as Mop it up (who BeautifulShy had tried to rally against) and Order.rss (who we had investigated as a townie).

That was also a fatal mistake, if I had kept those two protections until the end then the townies would have won the game.

TopHat you had 2 self protections. You could protect everyone else as much as you wanted unless you are saying you should of saved those protections to stack and then protected yourself and Perm at the end of the game.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2022, 11:45:54 AM »
Good game everyone. I thought I played well, even serving up Xander for the town, but alas once people start getting suspicious of you there is not much you can tell them to prove your innocence. Congrats to Stratos and the Pikmin mafia for the win and thanks to Khushrenada for hosting.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2022, 12:14:01 PM »
Good win, mafia! The mafia winning on a night recruitment was pretty cool. The mechanic is good!
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2022, 12:25:58 PM »
What a crazy game! Congrats to all the Mafia winners, and a special mention to ShyGuy who really earned it.

TOPHATANT123, why are you talking as if you lost? You won the game brah, strut your stuff!

So wait, if TOPHATANT123 is the doctor and already knew ThePerm was the investigator, that makes the events of day 3 all the more confusing to me. Why would he withdraw his vote on Crimm to tie up ThePerm in votes with Crimm and No Vote? This made ThePerm vulnerable to anyone who could swoop in and plop a vote on ThePerm. As a matter of fact, I was about to do just that, but I changed my mind at the last minute after seeing a PM from ThePerm. I wonder how things would have gone from there otherwise...

Thanks for hosting Khushrenada!

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2022, 12:34:16 PM »
What a crazy game! Congrats to all the Mafia winners, and a special mention to ShyGuy who really earned it.

TOPHATANT123, why are you talking as if you lost? You won the game brah, strut your stuff!

So wait, if TOPHATANT123 is the doctor and already knew ThePerm was the investigator, that makes the events of day 3 all the more confusing to me. Why would he withdraw his vote on Crimm to tie up ThePerm in votes with Crimm and No Vote? This made ThePerm vulnerable to anyone who could swoop in and plop a vote on ThePerm. As a matter of fact, I was about to do just that, but I changed my mind at the last minute after seeing a PM from ThePerm. I wonder how things would have gone from there otherwise...

Thanks for hosting Khushrenada!

Not to mention this part in the rules.

They cannot protect or save anyone from the Day Vote.

So if the Vote Master decided to save Crimm over Perm then a doctor's protection wasn't going to save Perm in a vote.
Alexis, she/her/Miss