Author Topic: So, I just ordered a bunch of M-rated Wii games off Amazon  (Read 15755 times)

Offline jakeOSX

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: So, I just ordered a bunch of M-rated Wii games off Amazon
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2009, 07:24:11 PM »
ju-on, silent hill were both pre-orders for me. personally i dug HODoverkill, beaten it twice. i keep looking at deadspace like it will suddenly become a real FPS...

also been playing more conduit lately. sad to say my metroid prime trilogy case hasn't even been opened yet...

cursed mountain is a great game, but NSMBWii has taken it off the rotation. and at least until exams are over and i return to just a normal working guy time is limited.

i mean, there was just a new content patch for wow.

oh and i buy crappy games so you don't have to, but i don't admit to them in public.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2009, 07:39:24 PM »
Oh, well I don't have a family account, so I just assumed that if you were able to register multiple systems and get credit for it, that you would be able to register multiple games too.

You can still register the games, you just won't get coins for them.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2009, 11:41:28 PM »
Because everyone else drops their price a week after release? That's why I wait anyways...
And why do they drop the price so quickly? Because Wii owners aren't willing to pay full price for games that aren't made by Nintendo.

Offline SilverGrey

• GP replacement
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2009, 11:51:50 PM »
Because everyone else drops their price a week after release? That's why I wait anyways...
And why do they drop the price so quickly? Because Wii owners aren't willing to pay full price for games that aren't made by Nintendo.

I don't pay full-price for any game if I can avoid it, even Nintendo games.  Now you've all got me thinking last time I paid full retail new price for any game....
I just can't spend $50 on a game (or more), not feasible for my conscience.  But I guess that makes me part of the problem, rather than the solution?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2009, 12:07:09 AM »
I don't know if that would make you a part of the problem, and the solution is complicated and I don't think it has just one factor.
I've actually been the same way as of recent, as the last Wii game I bought for its full $50 tag was I believe Mario Super Sluggers in August of 2008. The problem is, many Wii games don't stay on store shelves for long, price drop or not. With the flood of release each week, stores have to make room for new games. So I'd say consumers not buying games isn't the only problem, but also that companies are releasing too much dreck for the good stuff to sell.

And of course, there is also Nintendo's argument that consumers are now trained to wait for price drops and that's why they don't cut prices anymore. I think they may be on to something.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2009, 01:06:46 AM »
Yeah, there's nothing wrong with waiting for prices to drop. I mean, the stores and publishers would rather you paid more money, but as consumers we have a right to watch out for the health of our own wallets, thank you very much. And besides, we don't want to go down the path that leads to $60 games, and even price INFLATION on PC versions of said games. ECH. I mean, I was willing to pay $60 for N64 games, but thank god those days are over.

As for Nintendo not dropping prices, it's admirable, but they also have some special things working in their favor. Nintendo makes games that appeal not just to early adopters, but gamers who discover the game months or even years after its release. They've got a long, slow burn of sales where it benefits them and stores to keep the price up. But if you're a hardcore game appealing only to a select hardcore niche, your customer base usually viciously forgets about your game a month later, or beats the game real quick and resells it into the used game market for other hardcore gamers who want only a one-night stand instead of a long relationship.

Of course, it's also good that Nintendo and even some third parties are now willing to price at more meaningful levels given the game's content and experience, like $40 or even $30. Price drops aren't as drastic or likely when you price sensibly for the product and when you've got less of a distance to fall in the first place.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2009, 01:10:07 AM »

I don't like paying full price for Nintendo games either. But the reason I sometimes do is because Nintendo NEVER lowers the price of their games. So you have old 1st party Wii Launch games like Zelda TP with the same $49.99 MSRP as they did 3 years ago. But 3rd party launch games like Red Steel or Raving Rabbids are now in the bargain bins for peanuts. Of course, Zelda is a far better game than any other launch title, but I'm just using it as an example. The same is true with every Nintendo game. Take your pick... SMG, SSMB, etc. are all still full priced. Now look at Okami which is a 3rd party game of high quality. That can now be had on amazon for $13. Its insane...

But there are a lot of A+ Nintendo titles that I still don't own, and that's because they are still $50. Its not that I am not willing to buy them, I just can't afford it. I will make exceptions for something like Zelda or Metroid that I know I will love, but if I'm buying something on an impulse it must be a lot cheaper.

Nintendo doesn't drop the price of their games because they can get away with it. But the question is, what is it about their games that lets them do that? You could say its because they are far better in quality, and that is generally true, but even high quality 3rd party games drop their prices eventually.
is your sanity...

Offline White Mage

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2009, 01:16:28 AM »
Like Kairon said, it is admirable of Nintendo to keep the price point of Wii games at 50 bucks instead of the $60 that are seen on other consoles (and even at least one of Nintendo's previous consoles).  But, with it comes the downside that everyone keeps mentioning.  Nintendo doesn't lower the price of their own games.

Remember back in the days of the Cube when Nintendo would deem a game "worthy" of it's  Player's Choice award and lob 20 dollars or whatever it was?  Sure that was probably to squeeze as many sales out of the poor system as it could.  But now with these "evergreen" titles, they don't have to do that because the games just.keep.selling. - making it a little harder to swallow for some of us bargain shoppers.
Wii Code:  5059 7465 0039 6632
The Conduit: 1419 7264 9585
AC: City Folk 0388 2629 6780 | Name: Matthew | Town: Adatopia

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2009, 01:47:50 AM »
ju-on, silent hill were both pre-orders for me. personally i dug HODoverkill, beaten it twice. i keep looking at deadspace like it will suddenly become a real FPS...

I'm sorry to report that Deadspace: Extraction is not an FPS (I have a copy of Modern Warfare: Reflex though, haven't played it yet...). However, it really doesn't feel like a traditional rail shooter either. I think the early descriptions of it as a "Horror Experience" are apt, because the game is incredibly cinematic and really densely packed with characters, a fast-paced story, and details of its world.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2009, 02:14:29 AM »
Run into any bugs in Dead Space yet?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2009, 02:33:33 AM »
Beat it with my younger brother. Not a single bug. What are you talking about?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2009, 03:30:53 AM »
Oh, well I don't have a family account, so I just assumed that if you were able to register multiple systems and get credit for it, that you would be able to register multiple games too.

You can still register the games, you just won't get coins for them.

It does give you the coins. I have one set up with my sister and it gives us coins for both codes. You can't get coins for more than one code per person but within a family you can register multiple codes from different copies of the same game.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2009, 04:33:23 AM »
So I had it right!!!

UB is using a family account!!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2009, 04:46:51 AM »
Its because each person in a family counts as a separate person with a separate login and list of surveys.

It just pools your coin total together and only the 'parent' account can select prizes to be sent.

It also sucks because I seem to have forgotten my sister's account password since I handled the whole thing.
My Game Collection

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2009, 05:07:03 AM »
Does it even pay to buy multiple versions of the same game just for virtual tokens? You only need one copy of any given game, and its not like games are cheap..
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2009, 05:33:46 AM »
Do you not know UncleBob?

All of of his disposable income is voluntarily surrendered to Nintendo.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2009, 12:35:53 PM »
UncleBob is like Tetsuo from Akira, only made of GameBoy Colors and NES cartridges.  At times these masses combine to form a nipple.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2009, 02:48:19 PM »
I thought UncleBob was being facetious...

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2009, 03:51:05 PM »
Does it even pay to buy multiple versions of the same game just for virtual tokens? You only need one copy of any given game, and its not like games are cheap..

If multiple people in a single house play a game like Animal Crossing that only allows one person to play at a time then you buy two copies so you can play the multiplayer.
My Game Collection

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2009, 05:40:59 PM »
oh, remember the days when there was no rating system?...those were good times
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2009, 07:47:40 PM »
I'm amused that my post got so many replies.

Yes, I do have a single secondary account set up as part of my main account.  I do, occasionally, get a second copy of a game here and there.

No, I did not actually buy three additional copies of Wii Music.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2009, 08:55:49 PM »
No, I did not actually buy three additional copies of Wii Music.
I knew it.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2009, 12:46:53 AM »

Yeah, but back then ratings systems didn't matter so much because everything was so pixelated that it couldn't be realistic no matter what. Nowadays it would be very interesting to see how the industry would be without a rating system. My guess is there would be problems, angry mobs of parents, and eventually government action.
is your sanity...

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2009, 01:28:29 AM »

Yeah, but back then ratings systems didn't matter so much because everything was so pixelated that it couldn't be realistic no matter what. Nowadays it would be very interesting to see how the industry would be without a rating system. My guess is there would be problems, angry mobs of parents, and eventually government action.

Back then the 'naughty' games were kept behind the counter in strange leather sleeve/cases. Like 'Custards Last Stand' on the Atari. Disturbing.
My Game Collection

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2009, 04:02:21 AM »
Custer's Last Stand. you know, like General Custer.