Poll

How many games should Season 4 of Safe Words consist of?

0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
1 (10%)
0 (0%)
1 (10%)
1 (10%)
1 (10%)
0 (0%)
1 (10%)
Q
1 (10%)
I was told there would be no voting. What is this? Mafia?
4 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: July 02, 2022, 11:03:31 AM

Author Topic: Safe.TV Words+ 19 (Series Finale)  (Read 36335 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Safe.TV Words+ 19 (Series Finale)
« Reply #125 on: May 31, 2022, 03:18:43 PM »
Well, that’s enough dilly-dallying. Let’s end this game. After all my thinking and data analysis on what to select, I’m going to throw it all out and go against what my instinct was telling me to select for this round by choosing Paramount+. Did I knowingly walk right into the jaws of doom or did luck out and select the most safe words this game?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #126 on: May 31, 2022, 03:35:18 PM »
Max Renada is a moderator for the Canadian television station CNWR specializing in Nintendo programming. Renada spent hours scouring the airwaves of each streaming station looking for his next hit and one day came across Amazon Prime Videodrome, a plotless show which depicts anonymous forum users playing a Russian roulette type game known as “Safe Words”. The footage even includes graphic portrayals of their inevitable demise. Believing this to be the future of CNWR, Max immediately began unlicensed use of the show.

Renada watched the footage religiously to find out the truth about Amazon Prime Videodrome. Through subsequent viewings of past “games”, Max learns that not only is the footage not faked, but it is the public face of a political movement. Renada also learns that the enigmatic soccer correspondent Brian Insan O’Lord was currently in control of Amazon Prime Videodrome.

Renada tracks down O’Lord to a community center where vagrants were encouraged to engage in marathon sessions of the Safe Words game. He discovers that O’Lord managed the community, intending to realize his vision of a world in which Safe Words replaces every aspect of internet life.

Later, Max finds out that Amazon Prime Videodrome carries a broadcast signal that causes the viewer to develop a malignant brain tumor and experience lucid hallucinations. O’Lord had helped to create this as part of his vision for the future, and viewed the hallucinations as a higher form of reality. When O’Lord found out it was to be used for malevolent purposes, he attempted to stop his partners, but they used his own invention to kill him. In the year before his death, Brian O’Lord recorded tens of thousands of forum posts, which now form the basis of his appearances on the internet.

Now wanted for the murders of all the people that started watching Amazon Prime Videodrome and had developed tumors, Max takes refuge inside watching television. Appearing to him on the television, Bungle tells him he has weakened Amazon Prime Videodrome, but in order to completely defeat it, he must ascend to the next level and challenge Brian O’Lord in the championship round.

The television then shows an image of Max playing Safe Words, and the TV set explodes. Reenacting what he has just seen on the television, Max Renada utters the words "Paramount+" and ascends to become the champion of Safe.TV Words+ 19
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 04:27:01 PM by Bungle4 »

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
Re: Safe.TV Words+ 19 (Answer Selection, Turn Order, and Final Ratings)
« Reply #127 on: May 31, 2022, 03:38:30 PM »
Final Ratings
  • Khushrenada
  • NWR_insanolord
  • Mop it up
  • Luigi Dude
  • MASB
  • ShyGuy
  • Order.RSS
  • nickmitch
  • BeautifulShy
  • Stratos
  • TOPHATANT123

On behalf of the NWR administration I want to thank you all for your participation in the Safe.TV Words+ panel. All of your answers will be used to maximize our profit and exploit people's television addictions. Also, sorry for the delays on some of the questions as I was traveling during most of this. 

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 31, 2022, 04:42:31 PM »
Wow....

So this is what if feels like to win a Safe Words game....

I have ascended...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 31, 2022, 07:13:02 PM »
I couldn't decide which one to go with so I took a cue from Mop it up and selected one randomly, and it did me just as much good as it did her.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #130 on: May 31, 2022, 08:15:11 PM »
Congrats Khushrenada on the win!
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline MASB

• "The game's afoot, Watson!" "You're standing on mine, Holmes!"
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 01, 2022, 02:34:16 AM »
Congrats to the mighty Khushrenada! Finally the bride, not the bridesmaid in Safe Words! I gotta let everyone know the news!

I'm so impressed by this win that I'm going to grow a mustache to commemorate the event!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 01, 2022, 06:08:01 PM »
Congratulations to the winner, Khushrenada! And thanks Bungle4 for hosting this, you sure put an oddly lot of effort into these somewhat disturbing descriptions when people chose the wrong word...

I couldn't decide which one to go with so I took a cue from Mop it up and selected one randomly, and it did me just as much good as it did her.
Well if it didn't work for me then why would you try it?!

I guess the key is to use a random method, but then choose something besides what it lands on...

Offline MASB

• "The game's afoot, Watson!" "You're standing on mine, Holmes!"
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 02, 2022, 01:24:25 AM »
Thanks, Bungle for all you did for this game. You really brought it to life. I especially enjoyed how you incorporated James Garner into your stories!

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 02, 2022, 05:16:23 AM »
Congrats Khush, and Insanolord for another top 2 finish!

Great job hosting Bungle, you really went above and beyond with highly entertaining stories.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 02, 2022, 10:47:29 AM »
Congrats Khushrenada on the win!

Congrats to the mighty Khushrenada!

Congratulations to the winner, Khushrenada!

Congrats Khush

I DEMAND MORE PRAISE FOR ME!!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 02, 2022, 10:55:01 AM »
Now then, Mr.Bungle claims he "doesn't understand" how the scoring system works but it's obvious that Insanolord is just trying to pressure Mr.Bungle into overturning the results of the game. So, to stop the steal, I guess I'll have to step in and handle that part of the wrap-up.

As mentioned in previous Safe Word games, the players are all ranked by the F-Zero GX racing point system based on their position. Based on how the contestants finished in this game of Safe Words 19, these were the points handed out to them for the game:

1. Khushrenada - 100 points
2. NWR_insanolord - 93 points
3. Mop it up - 87 points
4. LuigiDude - 81 points
5. MASB - 76 points
6. ShyGuy - 71 points
7. Order.RSS - 66 points
8. nickmitch - 62 points
9. BeautifulShy - 58 points
10. Stratos - 54 points
11. TOPHATANT123 - 50 points

Host: Mr. Bungle - 70 points

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 02, 2022, 11:00:42 AM »
Some Final Unfinished Business

Last game was the end of Season 3. That makes this the first game of Season 4. However, we have not discussed how many games Season 4 should consist of. Therefore, I'm going to put up a poll on this thread for people to vote on it. Let's see if that produces any answer.

Hosting

Back near the end of Safe Words 17, Mr. Bungle approached me about hosting a game but I suggested he wait until after Safe Words 18 since he was in the running at the time to be the top finisher of Season 3. I haven't had anyone else approach or ask about hosting a Safe Words since then. As shown by Mr. Bungle, you don't have to host exactly the way I would. The game is flexible for different approaches. Are there others who'd want to take a crack at it? I ask because it will probably be a factor in determining how long Season 4 would last.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #138 on: June 02, 2022, 01:35:15 PM »
I certainly made the game more work for the host than it had to be, but even then it was still not that much work. I highly recommend the experience to others. I know it is hacky to say, but if I can do it then I think anyone can. Also, Khushrenada is always there to answer your questions.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 03, 2022, 07:13:45 PM »
If it's available, I wouldn't mind hosting the next game. It'd give Khushrenada a chance to go for back-to-back wins, and I'm kind of curious if he can make it. I'm sure he'd kill for the opportunity, which is why I'm offering, it's for everyone's safety!

Do people like little twists on the formula, or would everyone prefer to stick to the basics? I remember when I did one where people chose another player to target with their word choice, but I can't recall the reception it got...

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 11, 2022, 02:36:58 PM »
If it's available, I wouldn't mind hosting the next game. It'd give Khushrenada a chance to go for back-to-back wins, and I'm kind of curious if he can make it. I'm sure he'd kill for the opportunity, which is why I'm offering, it's for everyone's safety!

Do people like little twists on the formula, or would everyone prefer to stick to the basics? I remember when I did one where people chose another player to target with their word choice, but I can't recall the reception it got...

I'm good with either! It's a good moment to introduce twists to the formula though, since this was the season finale of the past 3 games, and all of those were fairly straight-forward in terms of ruleset.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 11, 2022, 03:09:07 PM »

I'm good with either! It's a good moment to introduce twists to the formula though, since this was the season finale of the past 3 games, and all of those were fairly straight-forward in terms of ruleset.

It is not. Season 3 consisted of Safe Words 16, 17 and 18. Safe Words 19, the one Bungle has just hosted, is the start of Season 4. The question is how long to make Season 4.

I highly doubt I could pull off a back-to-back win. Clearly, while I was trying to use psychology and statistics for my choices, others were going random with theirs so it was just pure fortune that allowed me to win. But I do welcome any opportunity to play a round as I haven't had too many chances to do so.

Not a big fan of it for a couple reasons. Let's say you've got ten players for the game. Round 1 begins and Player 2 is selected by a person, then Player 5 is selected by a person and then Player 8 is selected by a person which turns out to eliminate them. Then Round 2 begins and a person selects Player 5 and the next person selects Player 10 and the next person selects Player 2. Well, now we're into two rounds and 2 people have already faced a possible elimination twice while 6 others have yet to be called on.

Now, one could argue that by being selected early a couple times then they are being given great odds to survive the round since there are more Safe Word choices available but the more a player may get selected and put in danger the better odds that they will finally get eliminated before others who aren't. In regards to that high odds of survival, let's say it is the start of Round 2 and I have the first selection. Despite high odds of selecting a Safe Word, I can't take advantage of that since I have to select someone else and give them that advantage. Sure, I'm supposed to be seeking out the Bomb Word to eliminate that player but it is not like the Bomb Word will be obvious. So, I select a player and they are safe and the round goes on. Now there are three choices left in the round and I'm still waiting for a player to select my name in the round. Despite starting the round, I could not take advantage of the high percentage of Safe Words and now am in high danger of being eliminated this round because there are a low percentage of Safe Words left.

I'd rather just have the set rotation. Sure, that can still mean situations of good odds and bad odds in a round depending on how it progresses. But at least I wouldn't feel like I was in a spot where my good odds were taken away from me in a round. Likewise, I'd rather determine my fate by my own choice than through someone else selecting my name and eliminating me. Moreover, the set rotation means everyone is having to take an equal chance at getting eliminated as the game progress.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 03:11:25 PM by Khushrenada »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 12, 2022, 04:47:21 PM »
In regards to that high odds of survival, let's say it is the start of Round 2 and I have the first selection. Despite high odds of selecting a Safe Word, I can't take advantage of that since I have to select someone else and give them that advantage. Sure, I'm supposed to be seeking out the Bomb Word to eliminate that player but it is not like the Bomb Word will be obvious. So, I select a player and they are safe and the round goes on. Now there are three choices left in the round and I'm still waiting for a player to select my name in the round. Despite starting the round, I could not take advantage of the high percentage of Safe Words and now am in high danger of being eliminated this round because there are a low percentage of Safe Words left.
I actually didn't remember having this as part of the rules, but I went back to check and apparently I did. If I used this idea again then I would allow players to choose themselves if they hadn't already been chosen. I don't think this would solve much of your overall problem, though.

I'm not sure if I can think of a twist that wouldn't make things more random, I guess this game has less room for experimentation than Mafia does.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #143 on: June 12, 2022, 06:53:59 PM »
I am sure folks noticed that a twist on the formula I used was to have a specific question for each round. This question was provided for the bomb word chooser and then asked to all the word selectors. I am not sure if it impacted anyone's decision or if the change was appreciated but I thought it added an interesting layer to the selection process and made each round feel like it had its own theme.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #144 on: June 12, 2022, 09:51:01 PM »
I am sure folks noticed that a twist on the formula I used was to have a specific question for each round. This question was provided for the bomb word chooser and then asked to all the word selectors. I am not sure if it impacted anyone's decision or if the change was appreciated but I thought it added an interesting layer to the selection process and made each round feel like it had its own theme.

I mean for me I had the option of selecting the bomb word twice and think with the second question I changed what I was doing and just go with one which was not as known as the other options and one which I thought the group of people in the game would have selected.  the 2nd question i think I tried to out think myself and everyone else in what type of response one would select for that round.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.