Author Topic: New Switch Firmware Adds Support For Bluetooth Audio  (Read 1187 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
New Switch Firmware Adds Support For Bluetooth Audio
« on: September 14, 2021, 04:14:31 PM »

No mics, no folders, but still a major boost.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/58351/new-switch-firmware-adds-support-for-bluetooth-audio

A new version of Switch system software has added far more than stability.

The version 13 update, available now, has activated support for Bluetooth audio. A list of restrictions for using the headphones can be found on Nintendo's support page, but the major ones are only one headset can be active at a time and using headsets limits the available controllers to two wireless ones (eg: one set of Joy-Cons).

Other features in the update include an option for upgrading firmware on the docks that will come with the Switch OLED, and an option to restrict internet access to a system when in sleep mode for additional battery savings. By default, the latter setting maintains the internet connection fully (for background downloading).

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: New Switch Firmware Adds Support For Bluetooth Audio
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 08:44:34 PM »
How low can the lat(ency) go!

Ever since trying and failing to play a smartphone rhythm game over the bluetooth connection with a car's audio deck and some gifted wireless speakers, I'm skeptical of wireless audio for video games. I am aware of low-latency codecs and hardware that will help in this issue, but I haven't made the purchase.

A wire will never betray you! . . . until it snaps.

Offline mereel

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 10:57:01 AM »
There is noticeable latency, but for most games this will be fine. I play my Switch during my lunch break, usually with no audio since the switch didn’t support BT. I didn’t want to carry around a set of wired earbuds just for Switch. So for me this is very helpful!

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 11:44:59 AM »
The latency issue won't matter for 99% of games.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 01:42:38 PM »
Maybe in another 4 years they'll enable the USB 3.0 port...