Author Topic: Episode 387: Exit Plan  (Read 5711 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Episode 387: Exit Plan
« on: June 22, 2014, 10:02:05 AM »

Regrouping after E3, we have several new games, a real solution to Jon's Mario troubles, and a debrief on the big event and its effect on Nintendo's image going forward.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/37896/episode-387-exit-plan

We had two separate shows last week (with Jon appearing on both -- a streak, indeed) but it's good to regroup this time for a chance to fully digest what happened at E3 last week. First, though, we have tons of games to discuss! Guillaume has the bookends, starting with the brand new Shovel Knight. Jon completes a Wii U Transfer and rediscovers Super Mario Bros. 3 thanks to an adequate controller (fair warning to original 3DS owners). He also surprises us with Mario Kart 8, and we'll be playing a lot more of this one on the net! James goes hardcore with Etrian Odyssey IV, maybe in preparation for Persona Q? Jonny has quick-fire impressions of Pushmo World and finds little reason to recommend Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes.

There was actually so much New Business this week that we had to wrap around the break to ensure adequate time for Tomodachi Life, which both Gui and Jonny have been experiencing (with quite different results). Thereafter, we do return to E3 2014 for an overall look at the proceedings, especially Nintendo's surprisingly forceful presence. We're not sure if the buzz will help Wii U turn a corner, but it's all good news for those of us who already own the system or plan to buy it for Smash.

A full Listener Mail segment is coming next time, and we're going to reserve extra time to catch up on some great E3 emails (and otherwise). However, there was one user-submitted question that had to be addressed this week. Is Capcom really for sale? James drops some knowledge. Chip in your own comment or question for an upcoming mailbag segment!

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 387: Exit Plan
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 12:41:06 AM »
You guys couldn't even go one minute without offending a big portion of your target demo as well as one of your most stalwart former companions.

Now You're Playing With Power will be interesting this week.

Offline daverhodus

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 01:20:28 AM »
Etrian Odyssey IV is a great game.

Offline InvaderREN

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 04:14:47 AM »
I have finished main story of EOiV.

[size=78%]There is no grinding. If you have cleared the floors and are u to the boss, you are ready. It's not possible to be under leveled as the act of clearing the floor ensures you will be ok.[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Will you be able to BEAT the boss? Maybe not first go. But all bosses have a trick or a weakness. Even a weaker team can beat a boss if you know how. So just charge on in and give it a go! [/size]
[/size][size=78%]FOE's take AGES to respawn. I think at least a week? They are not an issue.[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Basically, EOIV is pretty linear. You can just go straight through.[/size]
[/size]

Offline InvaderREN

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 04:16:02 AM »
Hmm, what happened there? Where is the edit button? Sorry, I cannot see it.  :-\

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 04:34:00 AM »
Hmm, what happened there? Where is the edit button? Sorry, I cannot see it.  :-\

Can't edit talkback threads, which this, unfortunately, is.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 10:27:31 AM »
Hey ClexYoshi, I'm not sure if you are joking or serious, but no offense was intended. What are you referring to, specifically?
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 11:25:07 AM »
Hey ClexYoshi, I'm not sure if you are joking or serious, but no offense was intended. What are you referring to, specifically?

I'm kidding. XD I was referring to John making fun of the British football team. At first, I thought we were going to get another Bills joke at the expense of Greg, but it was just plain ol' World Cup humor. XD

The other thing I was referring to was that Forum user NBZ actually has a podcast that is very inspired by Radio Free Nintendo, but is about 247% more british called 'Now You're Playing With Power'! he's actually got a pretty good radio voice from doing a few years of narrating recordings of his Pokemon Wi-Fi battles.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/now-youre-playing-power-nintendo/id837158940 here's a link to the iTunes feed if you ever need more fodder for your Picross 3D binges, Dr. Metts.

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 01:19:49 PM »
I'm one of those crazies who enjoys min-maxing Mario Kart, but I gotta say I don't really like having to build my vehicle in this game. It really just slows down the game and makes it take so much longer to get into a race. My friends and I always spend like 5 minutes in the vehicle selection screen agonizing over what we want to pick. It doesn't help that there's no easy way to compare two parts if they're distant from each other on the list.

And believe it or not, even in Mario Kart Wii, there was a "best build" that the community agreed upon. In that game, characters gave ever so slight boosts to different stats, and Funky Kong gave a small boost to speed, so the community generally agreed that he was the best character. But in reality it didn't matter that much. I played King Boo because I liked him more and I would almost always come in first in online races, even against Funky.

It's the same in MK8, where the community has pretty much agreed on a "best build" at this point, but (to a certain point) that doesn't matter that much. The also nerfed bikes, which were strictly superior in MKWii, so it seems that you really can't go wrong with vehicle choice in this game.

Of course, if you're good enough at the game that you are able to drift around every turn and are going top speed the entire time, then a vehicle with higher top speed and less handling will benefit you more. That's really how "best builds" are decided upon: if it has high top speed, it's better (in a nutshell). But Jonny's absolutely right. If you can't take turns correctly, then you'll just fall off or go off-road, and that top speed isn't helping you at all.

There's a hell of a lot more to it than that, but I wouldn't want to bore anyone with the details.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 10:03:10 PM »
Question: Why does mario kart even need a stat system.

And in reference to the tomodachi life discussion if Johnny really wants help filling his hotel then here:
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=44689.0

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 10:11:00 PM »

And in reference to the tomodachi life discussion if Johnny really wants help filling his hotel then here:
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=44689.0
And for the record my interpretation of lindemann is a work of art and james really needed an eternal scowl.

Also I did rewrite the rap song to be a tribute to Lindemannn syndrome. I should probably upload that sometime given how horrifying it is.

And this is why we would like to get an edit button back.

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 12:44:02 AM »

So that not every vehicle functions identically to one another. Even if it's minor, some variation spices up the game and makes it more flexible to different playstyles and more interesting to play.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 01:42:21 AM »

So that not every vehicle functions identically to one another. Even if it's minor, some variation spices up the game and makes it more flexible to different playstyles and more interesting to play.
Except there's no reason for those stats to be tied to individual vehicle parts.

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 01:48:22 AM »
Except there's no reason for those stats to be tied to individual vehicle parts.

What else would they be tied to?

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 02:38:49 AM »
Anything else or player controlled. The stat system in mario kart ends up degrading the appeal of vehicle customization. Minmaxing should not fucking exist in a fucking mario kart. I'm just going to dump the rant's I've made on this matter before on negative world

Quote from: pokepal148 on negative world
Speaking of which i'm really sick of being restricted to a certain stat setup when picking a vehicle i feel like they should have taken a page from sonic's racing transformed and allowed me to pick a stat build after choosing what kart combo i want to use (that way i can use the badwagon on a stat build more similar to the biddybuggy/landship instead of being stuck with a crappy stat build for wanting to use a specific kart that i think looks nice)

right here we go again, here is a list of vehicle stats in mk8

Edit: url because I'm too lazy to try and resize that thing

Now Firstly god damn it Nintendo clean up your stat system that's a fucking nightmare, underwater handling? No just stop Nintendo. Don't have hidden stats and if a stat that isn't hidden explain what the hell it does IN GAME.

Secondly, I feel like heavier characters should have the better acceleration given that they have the largest hitboxes, just from a balance perspective,

Thirdly, is there any reason why these stats are tied to individual kart peices and not controlled by the player. Seriously there is no reason why I can't pick a kart and then have multiple stat builds to choose from.

I'm saying it now. The badwagon, along with the other ones who are cursed with those stats, is probably by far the worst vehicle build in the game.

Seriously, I legitimately feel like I'm being punished for wanting to use the badwagon, pretty much every single stat set I see on this chart would be more useful then weight

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2014, 11:32:09 AM »

What else would they be tied to?
Maybe just my opinion, but i'd think it being tied to the character itself would be better served.  I'm pretty sure they all played differently in the N64 & Gamecube games before kart customization was introduced, and i'd be ok with returning to that and just having the kart customization being there as more a cosmetic feature.