Author Topic: I need help!!!  (Read 1586 times)

Offline the1st_fret

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
I need help!!!
« on: January 18, 2007, 04:44:55 AM »
Hi

Just bought a Toshiba 42" LCD  TV. I was really excited to finally being able to view my games in 480p resolution. To see what they looked like. I went out and bought the component cables.

The Wii is connected to my tv with the component cables. But when running in 480p, it looks totally IDENTICAL to when the system is running at 60hz, or even 50hz!!!

Does anyone know why this is? Can anyone help? Thanks.

Dan.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
RE: I need help!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 04:54:55 AM »
Have you set the video output in the Wii settings?  If you've done that, I don't know what to tell you.  Maybe you were expecting too much out of a 480p signal?  I guess maybe your tv is screwing with it somehow but I doubt it.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline the1st_fret

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:I need help!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 05:39:41 AM »
Do you mean when you go into 'screen' then 'tv type'?

Yes I've done that. I set it to a 480p signal, but as I said before. It looks totally identical! I know i'm not expecting too much for 480p if everyone keeps talking about how much better it makes the picture. But it doesn't make a difference what setting i'm on, they all look really bad, the textures are huge and grainy.

My only fear is that the TV's natural resolution is too hight for even the 480p to even make a difference but I doubt that very much. Even though I dont know much about tv's. How can a TV's resolution be too high for even 480p ad 50hz to look different in any way?

Any help appreciated.

Dan.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
RE: I need help!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 05:58:28 AM »
Depends on what games you're playing, and how your TV treats the lower rez image.

Games with high framerates and motion like F-Zero GX present a more noticeable difference than something lower like Zelda.

Wii Sports will hardly make a difference.  But what progressive scan helps do is provide true definition to individual pixels, so you don't just see "dots", you literally see a "square" without colors blurring.  Look at how clear (or not) text appears in the different games.

60hz vs 50hz isn't much a difference.  And turning 480p on/off on the Wii while using the component cable won't cause a miraculous difference.  480p or not, using component cables is already several steps above the default cables.

THE REAL DIFFERENCE people talk about is when directly comparing the default cables to the component cables (sounds like you only used the Wii once you had component cables).

480p is simply an improvement to picture clarity, it won't magically improve the resolution of textures, and it won't eliminate jagged edges -- it actually makes the jagged edges even more noticeable, cuz that's what's really being drawn.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Mysticspike

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • Bim Dizzle
RE:I need help!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 02:04:05 PM »
first of all you are lucky you have a wii. i have been breaking my back trying to get one the minuite it came out. WITHOUT SUCCESS!! but, if i could give you advice i would. i do not know what to do. usually i'm the nerd and deal with all the tech probs but i am pretty much only useful in other than TVs, although i am a genius compared to some of my doofus classmates.
anyways have fun with your wii, you lucky. hope to get one soon
Someday, I will make my own Fantasy Factory to make all of my lifelong dreams come true...

Banana Productions<- Check out my Youtube channel.