Author Topic: Tales of Symphonia: Scores.  (Read 11326 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE:Tales of Symphonia: Scores.
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2004, 07:59:21 AM »

Originally posted by: AiAi
And what's with a pop singer being a class?  O_o

Hey, come on, that's innovation. Instead of fighting the great evil, you ARE the great evil!

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
RE: Tales of Symphonia: Scores.
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2004, 04:44:21 PM »
Apparently "Sheena" at the tales.namco.com forums confirmed that Tales of Symphonia won't have any commercials.

bomb

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2004, 08:48:09 PM »

Originally posted by: Mario
Apparently "Sheena" at the tales.namco.com forums confirmed that Tales of Symphonia won't have any commercials.

bomb

Jesus. F*cking. Christ.

Why did a B-list platformer like Pac-Man World 2 get commercials, and a major exclusive like ToS doesn't.

If ToS does bomb, I'll send Reggie over to Namco to kick the asses of every single Namco employee and executive. Twice.
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2004, 10:00:18 PM »
Mario: That true or are you just feeling like spreading pessimistic BS again?

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2004, 08:23:52 AM »
@$!@$%@!@$^%!@#, You think Someone would promote this more, I mean the game has already gained much critics acclaim and much attention with rpg fans.  All Namco or Nintendo had to do was at least attempt to inform the less knowing mainstream audience, and this game could really have a chance of selling big time.

I really hope the tales series doesn't get ignored here in the states.  I've played the first game in the series and I loved it and apparently namco ported it to GBA in Japan so if it ToS does well here we might get the original.

Offline Syl

• O_o
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2004, 10:30:42 AM »
I think Namco is relying far too heavily on this title to NOT have any ads for it, of course, I haven't heard of a single one and the game is coming out later this week. =/

Seems that just about everyone else knows about the game though, so all the online pimping and stuff is doing it quite well, even the guys who work at bestbuy sounded interested.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2004, 02:16:57 PM »
Somehow the word is getting around because I've talked to several game shop employees that seemed excited about the release of Tales...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2004, 03:01:16 PM »
It's the overall plot that's killing the score and alot of back-tracking to towns.  :0.

I'm still grabbing it wednesday (taking a sick day no less ) just for the combat system--sounds great.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2004, 05:53:36 PM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Mario: That true or are you just feeling like spreading pessimistic BS again?

True, and what do you mean again?

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2004, 06:02:41 PM »
You fail for trying to stir up drama in the Tales thread!  I hereby sentence you to....give me a massage...I'm sore! =D

Offline majortom1981

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2004, 02:55:48 AM »
I dont mind backtracking to have to get stuff. In some of the final fantasy series if you forgot something u couldnt go back.  Why do I have to wait 2 days to pick this up  :*(   .

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2004, 12:20:50 PM »
There really isn't much backtracking, and the plot is very standard RPG stuff...it's only disappointing because this is a series most of us are new to, and we probably expected something newer and more unusual.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2004, 03:26:31 PM »
Famitsu gave it 36/40 (two 8's, two 9's).

Slightly off-topic:  Does this game have random battles?

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2004, 03:35:10 PM »
Nope, you will see your enemy on the overworld maps...

It's the way ALL RPGs should be done nowadays... -__-

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2004, 03:59:03 PM »
I personally PREFER random battles to being able to see enemies, i never understood the distaste for them. @_@

Random Battles make it much easier to train, and just get things done in my mind.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2004, 04:05:01 PM »
But it's not fun to be stuck deep in enemy territory, wishing to get back to a town, and having to battle every two steps... -__-

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2004, 04:10:13 PM »

Originally posted by: GoldShadow1
Famitsu gave it 36/40 (two 8's, two 9's).

Two 8's and two 9's is 34... I think it got four 9's, or a total of 34.  

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2004, 05:24:37 PM »
Yeah random battles can be ok sometimes but some rpgs random battle coding is set awfully bad.

If u played the original Tales of Phantasia game, i think u would know what i mean, u usually had a fight every 5 steps, and that includes the overworld, very annoying when u have very little health.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2004, 05:27:29 PM »
Yeah, it's bad when there wasn't enough Steak to go around.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2004, 09:30:45 PM »
Random encounters force you to imit the number of steps you take to go somewhere, pretty annoying if you want to look around a corner or something and have to fight off two groups of enemies on the way. Either have the enemies run around on the map or add encounter spots instead of an area where you're attacked every 1d10+2 steps or something.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2004, 09:46:52 PM »
I don't mind random battles, but I like visible enemies soooooooo much more.

Of course, in RPG's like the Grandia series I end up attacking every enemy anyway.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2004, 10:12:20 PM »
Random battles are an archaic way of handling enemy encounters. I can tolerate them if the frequency of the battles is low, but honestly, in this day and age it should be done away with. I find that random battles tend to deter exploration. I mean, you might see a treasure chest across the room, but is it really worth 5 minutes of fighting just to get some crappy potion? Usually not.

Also, random battles really piss me off when I get lost. Sometimes, after a long battle, I might forget which way I was headed. Once I realize I'm going in the wrong direction and turn around, I have to fight another battle.

Random battles also just don't make any sense. It's completely illogical why you can keep getting in fights simply by running around in circles in an empty room.

Anyway, I see random battles as being the lazy way out. If they actually had to place enemies in a level, then that would require some actual thought and level design. They would actually have to spend some time deciding where to place enemies, which enemies to put where, etc...

I couldn't believe IGN's review of TOS actually complained about being able to avoid random encounters. "Oh noes! Making the game less tedious is the terribles!"
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2004, 01:11:10 AM »
Don't think that was the issue.   The game forces you to level-up to get by--meaning you really can't sneak passed enemies without having to turn around and face them again anyhow.

I'm 50-50 about random fights.  Most games have either a spell or item to reduce the encounter rate and some games let you save in between battles :0.

What's annoying is when they string up BIG boss battles that can take a couple of hours without any save points .

BTW:  Game official arrives today :0.

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2004, 01:21:23 AM »
Anyone got the game?

Please post impressions.
"We ride together, We die together, Bad boys 4 life....

NOW CAN YOU DIG DAT SUCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKAAAA

Offline Dizzy

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2004, 05:57:42 AM »
Holy karma, it's out TODAY! YAY!!!!!! yes I am new here but, that won't stop how much I love Tales of symphonia, lets make a bet, 10 posts say I beat it before all you guys. Hehehehehe. Well anyways it true is a wicked game, I love the storyline too, the music is great, the graphics are great, everything about that game is great, I give it a full 10/10. Well I should go. Laterz.

~Dizzy
TALES OF SYMPHONIA ROCKS!!! Why? cause DIZZY said so! wOOt!