Author Topic: Golden Sun for Gamecube?  (Read 3219 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Golden Sun for Gamecube?
« on: June 29, 2004, 10:45:53 AM »
According to this Camelot is working on a Golden Sun game for the Cube.  Naturally I'll wait for a confirmation from sites I'm more familiar with, like PGC, but 1UP did break the news about the GBA Guardian Heroes game so I have some faith in them.

I say it's about freaking time Camelot worked on a Cube RPG.

Quicky quiz:
What's the most popular genre in Japan? RPGs.
Which Nintendo system has lots of RPGs?  The GBA.
Which Nintendo system has like five RPGs, maybe?  The Gamecube.
Which Nintendo system sells huge in Japan?  The GBA.
Which Nintendo system sells like ass in Japan?  The Gamecube.

Gee, I don't see the relationship there at all.

I'm glad that along with Advance Wars and Fire Emblem Nintendo is working on getting their big GBA franchises on the Cube.  It shows that they know that they can't blatantly favour one of their systems if they expect people to buy both.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: Golden Sun for Gamecube?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 11:19:19 AM »
Didn't the Takahashis(the GS creators) say a while back(more like 2 years) that they wished to make a Cube version of GS?  Oh well, it doesn't matter...Obviously you hadn't seen my sig yet...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 11:45:04 AM »
"Obviously you hadn't seen my sig yet"

So you and PaleZer0 wet yourselves every time Tales of Symphonia (ooops better change your shorts) is mentioned?  Interesting.

Yeah I remember Camelot mentioning this years ago but I alway assumed it was in limbo like the "announced" Fire Pro game for the Cube.  This news blurb suggests Nintendo is going to announce it soon which is worth bringing it back to attention over.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 12:14:51 PM »
Aha, I actually meant my list below it...

"Anticipating wetly: Tales of Symphonia, Zelda XII, Minish Cap, Golden Sun (it exists!)"

I personally feel this would be a good title to show at a Spaceworld, yet Ninty seems to not want to...Are they still thinking about having it this year? :\

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Golden Sun for Gamecube?
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 01:39:53 PM »
I pray to god that its a remake of the 1st and 2nd put into one. Because I havent beaten either game yet. My file was erased about 20 hours into the game. So I wont start again.
"We ride together, We die together, Bad boys 4 life....

NOW CAN YOU DIG DAT SUCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKAAAA

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2004, 02:14:38 PM »
Why would you want to restart on the GC?

I hope they aren't remakes, because I DID beat both of them and I want a new game
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2004, 02:23:52 PM »
Yeah, and the foreboding ending of Lost Age leaves plenty of room for a sequel...

Alchemy has now been released to the world, which will cause strife...There's also the chance that Alex could escape his prison...

Offline MysticGohan24

• OUTSTANDING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2004, 02:25:45 PM »
And don't forget Felix and Co.  heh
What happens, happens ~Spike Cowboy bebop

Hey Shippo your village called, they're missing their idiot. ~Inuyasha

Offline Rich

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2004, 07:44:48 PM »
Yeah I saw this at Nintendojo, I would definetly buy this if its a new game that lets me take my save from the GBA.

Offline Pikkcuber

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2004, 07:44:59 AM »
Unlike you guys I dont like this idea.  TO put a sequel to the original golden sun would be stupid because it would be stupid to jump platforms halfway through the series.  And why in the world would we want a remake of the first two, if you want the first two buy them both for proably less than 50. I want them to make either a completely different game with the basic plot but then go into different directions or a spinoff of the GBA games.  Like look into the past or future of a character and there is lots to chose from.
PikkCuber

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2004, 08:23:56 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill
Yeah, and the foreboding ending of Lost Age leaves plenty of room for a sequel...

Alchemy has now been released to the world, which will cause strife...There's also the chance that Alex could escape his prison...

Alex escape his prison?  Alex just turned himself into a demi-god, what prison is there to escape when you have half of the power of the entire planet in your grasp?  I'm really curious what that ugly rock with an eyeball has to do with all of this...

I actually found the ending to be near perfect, The fact that everything you've been doing for the past 2 games (70ish hours at least) was purely because Alex tricked you, and was using you to give himself ultimate power... It was like a huge slap in the face, he seemed like a rather nice guy as well...

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2004, 08:24:10 AM »
"TO put a sequel to the original golden sun would be stupid because it would be stupid to jump platforms halfway through the series"

Why?  A series can be in a constant state of evolution...Series like Mario and Zelda have switched between Consoles and Handhelds and I never heard anyone complain about that...

(But yeah, a remake would be pointless, and according to the Takahashis there is much more they want to expand on with the story)

(edit: Syl, remember that Alex couldn't move and was taken down with the mountain...Apparently having demi-god status has its consequences)

Offline Rich

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2004, 09:21:44 AM »
It should be cool to see what type of abililties we will have next game and I cant wait to see what the game looks like if its real, I hope that Camelot can translate the beautiful graphics from the GBA to the Gamecube but im not sure because I've never seen anything from them that was really great from a technological standpoint

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2004, 10:02:16 AM »
Not to rain on your parade, but in EVERY SINGLE JAPANESE RPG you run after the evil people breaking seal by seal/collecting amulet/stone/whatever to release the ultimate evil and even if you manage to find something before they do you always turn it over because of a hostage situation or something like that. And in the end the evil people have always tricked you and all your actions were part of their master plan and you have to save the world from them. Skies of Arcadia, Grandia 2, Final Fantasy 5, Lufia for GBC... And those are only the ones I played, I missed out the majority of japanese RPGs. Hell, this will spoil pretty much any past, present and future japanese RPG for you!

Either way, as long as they don't pull a GS1 or Halo I'll probably buy the game (since I'm boycotting only GS2). I just hope this time they'll mark it a trilogy if it is one.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2004, 12:48:53 PM »
Meh!  Boycotting GS2 is just plain stupid, since you are missing out on the second half of such a great game... :\

And according to the Takahashis the first two were only the beginning of the story, so I doubt it's just going to be a trilogy...

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2004, 02:00:04 PM »
What are you babbling about, KDR? I don't care if all RPG's have the same basic plot- they're still fun as hell, and that's all that really matters to me.  
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2004, 04:09:34 PM »
lol.  I read all 192 cliches and I'm still chuckling about them.  It is kind of creepy how dead on the first like 75 are (maybe two exceptions).  It would be really interesting if a game developper made an RPG with this list in hand to try and break some overused cliches.
You just throw yourself in front of the innocent victim girl you just met, to save her from some thieves.  Then she pulls a weapon and you realize you've just been conned.  The thieves and the girl make off with your weapons and equipment and leave you naked to walk back to your village.  That would be one hell of an unexpected beginning to an RPG, IMO.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2004, 08:22:02 PM »
Ummm.... your story, with the girl and the thieves...

There were these thieves that tricked you by saying something like "Hey, look over there" and they knocked your ass out and they make off with your weapons and equipment and left you naked in a village in the very beginning of the game, minus any girl decoy.  You literally DID run around the village naked and had the option of fighting the Lvl. 1 Slime monsters outside the village "going commando" (tho ill-advisable).  This was in the Japanese hentai RPG (very naughty!, but tons of comedy) Dragon Knight III.  And yeah, you did get your armor stuff back towards the end of the game.

That's a cliche in the making.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2004, 08:53:53 PM »
Well...I haven't played it and it is only a coincidence that I had a thought in common with hentai game designers.  Right....  Seriously though, I wouldn't have the main character naked for a long time and god forbid the entire game.  It is a cliche in the making, but it isn't yet... so someone put that in a more widely appealling game.  
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline bonestormer

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2004, 08:54:52 PM »
Golden Sun is one of my favorte games on GBA (I consider both to be just one giant game).

BUT I do worry about it's jump to a full fledged console. GS was great as a GBA game, take the exact same game, and people do have a point that it's a run-of-the-mill RPG. (For example, I didn't find Wario Ware on GC to be nearly as interesting as it was on GBA.)

So I'm hoping that they greatly expand upon what was done on the GBA. Rehauling the entire battle system would be a nice start.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2004, 12:32:51 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill
Meh!  Boycotting GS2 is just plain stupid, since you are missing out on the second half of such a great game... :\

And according to the Takahashis the first two were only the beginning of the story, so I doubt it's just going to be a trilogy...

You fully grasped the problem there: half of a game. I paid full price for half a game. I was angry enough I gave them 46 Euros for the first one, no way in hell they'll get another 46 for the second half from me, I don't encourage such malpractice. There's enough full games you can buy for 46 Euros, why settle for half of that?
Wouldn't you be angry if they only sold you the first disk of ToS and in the end told you "Haha, now buy the sequel to know how it ends"? At first I believed the ending of GS was some kind of late intro (as in, the prelude is over, now your quest begins) or sanity effect (since I had that one in ED already, that was actually funny).
Don'ty come with the 20 hour "but you had fun on the way" excuse, the hatred that ending made me feel more than made up for that. In a game I want to feel like I actually accomplish something. GS managed to completely ruin this feeling.

m_c: It was just because it sounded like you guys marvelled at the ingenuity of Golden Sun's story.

odifiend: Hehe, I once thought about writing a game that randomly generates a story out of those clichees and serves it to the player. Would be fun to see how long it takes until they notice... Or have characters that know the clichees ("See? He's got long, blond hair, he's the big enemy!")...

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2004, 06:42:07 AM »
I'm always up for more RPGs, but assuming this one still has a long way to go, I think it might benefit Nintendo and Camelot to put it on the "Revolution".   Nintendo has been late to the RPG party two generations in a row: we had to wait a few years for Ogre Battle 64 to finally deliver the first truly great RPG experience on the N64, and I would say that Tales of Symphonia is the first truly great RPG experience on the GameCube (minus Skies of Arcadia - that game is also great, but it was basically a Dreamcast rehash).  Nintendo really needs to give people the impression that it's serious about RPGs at the LAUNCH of its next system.  (Within a few months of launch would be acceptable).

Of course, if a Golden Sun game could be ready for the GameCube by the end of 2005, then I'd gladly take it.  I love RPGs!  I just think that, if it exists, this game may not be finished until sometime in 2006, at which time it probably won't sell a lot of copies and it will be too late to make a worthwhile impact on GameCube sales.   It would be much more profitable as a Revolution title...then again, if Revolution is backwards compatible, this could be marketed for BOTH consoles...that might be a smart idea, especially if it could be programmed to have enhanced graphics when played on Revolution.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX