Author Topic: 2D games fading away...who else will miss Sprites?  (Read 8753 times)

Offline GrAyLaN

• -GrAyLaN -GrAyLaN -GrAyLaN -GrAyLaN -GrAyLaN
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
2D games fading away...who else will miss Sprites?
« on: April 09, 2004, 10:41:12 PM »
The GBA is probably the last system we'll have that takes a cartrige and has those greath things we call sprites...I personally will miss classic gaming with the 2D view. I'm holding on to my SNES (keeping it damage free) and am going to buy a GBA asap. But after the NDS comes out...what else will there be? Everything will be 3D and sprites will be a thing of the past.  Anybody else care?

-GrAyLaN
Looks like someone ate too many donuts...
A whole Winchells worth of too many donuts...

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
RE: 2D games fading away...who else will miss Sprites?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2004, 11:15:35 PM »
NDS uses cartridges, as for 2D we'll see what the DS has to offer.
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE:2D games fading away...who else will miss Sprites?
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2004, 04:08:37 AM »
PSP is the 3d portable not the DS.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2004, 04:33:52 AM »
The DS has both. 3D to about the power of the N64 plus some.

I don't mind 2D, but I like 2.5D better.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Smadte

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2004, 10:41:10 AM »
Judging from the past, we'll never play another simple 2D Mario platformer again. Every time I hear of a Mario port/party/pinball etc. I want to crush something! I miss the magic those old 2d games had so much.  

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2004, 01:06:40 PM »
We should throw a coup and force them to make only 2D games. Who's with me?!...

Oh, no one...heh. In that case....
*runs away screaming*
has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline mjbd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2004, 02:47:10 PM »
I hope to see sprites stick around.   Look at games like Ogre Battle 64, that game is very good looking, and I dont know that you can get the same look with polygons.  I think 2D gaming will still hang around.
Formerly Known As Mike_OPN2000

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2004, 08:59:20 PM »
they better

*shakes fist*

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2004, 08:44:33 AM »
After getting Ninja Five-O recently and remembering Viewtiful Joe I can say that 2d games are the only way to make a "cool" game. Really, there wasn't a single scene in a 3d game I have seen that made me think "this was damn cool". In VJ or NFO you do "cool" things all the time. That might be because aiming is easier in 2d as you don't have to worry about another dimension. That means you hit more accurately, can deflect projectiles into enemies, etc. All that barely works with 3d. And let's not forget platformers, which are impossible to get a good view of in 3d.

Offline novastar512

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2004, 10:31:24 AM »
I REALLY miss 2-d games.  We are getting all this 3-d crap.  I miss the days when 2-d were the bomb.  Ahh yes, i remember the good older zelda and mario games.  

The GBA has some good 2-d games, but there is too much emphasis on 3-d.  I love fire emblem and tactics ogre, really good fun, with sprite graphics.  But common, i NEED MORE 2-d GAMES.  

Offline GrAyLaN

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2004, 04:41:31 PM »
I love playing Super Mario Bros. All stars and The Legend of Zelda: A link to the past on my SNES...I'm going to miss 2D games. Of course...when I'm 40...teens will be complaining about 4D and how much they miss 3D. Oh, the cruelty of the circle of life!

-GrAyLaN  

Hey...now I can't wait to see what 4D looks like....

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2004, 01:07:00 AM »
it's present in Majora's Mask.

this is just off the top of my head but.. the number of series' that have lost something in the transition from 2d to 3d
Donkey Kong Country
Super Mario Bros.
Metroid
Mortal Kombat cooking with scorpion was lollerskates however.

also the introduction of 3d destroyed two of my favorite genres, being top-down shoot 'em up and the point and click adventure.

-GrAyLaN
OUT OF DATE.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2004, 01:07:54 AM »
*Proud Vigilante of the 2d Revolution*

And it's not possible for the human eye to see 4d, nor do I see any gaming applications to it, so don't hold your breath... ^_^  
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2004, 01:41:34 AM »
Erm, 4D is either some idea that an idiot thinks is awesome, or quantum physics (which CAN'T be applied to video grames, regardless of who says otherwise). So in short, 3D is the limit in terms of dees.

As for losing 2D, I don't think it will disappear completely.

DrZ - Time to start up some angst O_^
I agree with you about DKC (1 and 2 still own my , DK64 just broke it) and Metroid (good in 3D but different), but Mario Bros just makes me want to rant. Sure, 2D hooked me on games originally, but 3D just took it in new directions. 2D only does so much before it starts to repeat itself *points to GBA Mario releases* so its good that people have jumped off that bandwagon for the time being. Hopefully the DS has some new and interesting 2D games, regardless of who is involved with it.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2004, 05:27:08 AM »
The 4th Dimension is time you fools. We play around with that in games all the time. Max Payne, VJ, Jedi Knights all slow down or speed up gameplay to simulate changes in the 4th dimension. Hell those early games which just froze the emeies was an example of how the 4th Dimension has already been used.

While you can't see the 4th dimension, you can see it's effects. Of course to really see something happen in the 4th dimension happening in reality, your not going to see it unles yo got yourself a partical accelerator.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2004, 06:42:43 AM »

Originally posted by: DrZoidberg

also the introduction of 3d destroyed two of my favorite genres, being top-down shoot 'em up and the point and click adventure.

The top-down shooter is dying, yes. Even Kenta Cho's latest work is a sidescrolling shmup (oh noes!). But don't tell me you haven't played his previous works as well as Warning Forever (scroll down, there are even more games!), Cho Ren Sha or other works of the japanese freeware scene. Come to think of it, the top-down shooter lives on, just not on the store shelves of the western world.

The point&click adventure wasn't killed by 3d, it was killed by Lucas Arts' suits wanting more Star Wars crap. The freeware scene isn't that active in that area, even though the occassional indie P&C adventure comes out. Is it just me or are comercially produced P&CAs coming out more lately? Runaway, Tony Tough, Syberia... I'm seeing a lot of 'em on shelves lately.

oohboy: BS. Four dimensional games exist without using time as a "fourth dimension" (I still don't accept time as a dimension, can someone please explain to me why scientists are assuming it is one? Dimensional time just produces but not solves problems, while a lot of paradoxes, logical flaws, etc, don't occur with non-dimensional time). What you see in that game is a two dimensional field made of complex numbers (which are two dimensional as well). It's entirely playable and much fun.
Most 3d games use four dimensional numbers (quarternions) for calculating skeletal animation. A normalized quarternion is apparently the best representation of a rotation for game use.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2004, 07:30:23 AM »
The 4th dimension should be something that exists outside of man's jurisdiction...(Time is relative!)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Nemo

• View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2004, 01:07:51 PM »
I'm a big old school 2D fan (just look at the site in my sig).

I will be very sad if 2D games ever die, not that 3D games can't be fun.
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2004, 01:53:15 PM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k

The point&click adventure wasn't killed by 3d

except for Monkey Island 4 being rather subpar, Kings Quest 8 being horrible, and Broken Sword 3 losing alot of the 2d charm.

OUT OF DATE.

Offline GrAyLaN

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2004, 06:12:00 PM »
I was joking 'bout 4D...jeez guys...over react why don't ya'.

Also...I miss my Monkey Island adventures... *sob*

-GrAyLaN

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2004, 08:45:14 PM »
DrZ: Then please explain Grim Fandango.

Offline CHEN

• These peas taste AWESOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2004, 10:03:36 AM »
I miss the old Mega Man games. The new ones in 3D kinda sucks. Thankfully my prayers have been answered after hearing Capcom's announcement of an anniversary collection. Now, please God, let Europe have it too.

2D will always have a place in my .

Offline MysticalMatt517

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2004, 05:58:44 PM »
I think that more game developers should go the way of Viewtiful Joe. Granted, that game was more difficult than it should have been (I'm not big on frustration gameplay) but it got a lot of things right. Namely, it used a combination of 2D/3D... The developers wern't afraid to risk doing something weird. I think that everyone automatically assumes that everything had to be full 3D when a lot of games would just play better if they used the right medium.  
<><><><><><><><><><><><>
http://www.MysticalMatthew.com
<><><><><><><><><><><><>

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2004, 08:29:05 PM »
Matt: They'll include the super-easy difficulty in VJ2.
The difference between frustration and failure is that frustration only occurs when you think there was no way you could avoid that failure. Even difficult games like Ninja Five-O aren't necessarily frustrating since it's easy to see what you did wrong.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2004, 10:06:14 AM »
I will definitely miss sprites...if by sprites you mean 2D characters.  I'm so looking forward to Paper Mario 2, though some might not count the characters in that game as "sprites" per se.  Anyway, I think the characters look beautiful, it's like they were ripped straight out of the Super Mario Bros. 3 instruction book.  And the same goes for a ton of the games on the GBA.  I'm playing Wade Hixton's Counterpunch right now, the characters look amazing.

As for the gameplay, I'm not in the right thread here.  I love 3D.   That's not to say that I think 2D is dumb or should be done away with, I agree that it will be a shame if it ever dies completely, but I love 3D games too.  Hopefully both styles of gameplay can live on for decades to come.  I'm optimistic!  Viewtiful Joe was a huge hit last year, and I have a feeling that if VJ2 is as successful, we'll start seeing a 2D revival.

Meanwhile, show your support by buying 2D games on your 3D consoles!  That will send a message to those suits in Capital City!
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX