Author Topic: Banned Users  (Read 7461 times)

Offline Matt

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Banned Users
« on: February 01, 2003, 08:34:57 PM »
Question.

Are users who were Banned from the old EzBoard's going to be allowed to return to the forums since they are changing to FuseTalk?  Or will the EzBoard bans be carried over?
Matt
Contact Info in Profile

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Banned Users
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2003, 08:38:35 PM »
Unfortunately, it's nigh impossible for us to bring that ban list over here, so everyone effectively gets a second chance.  However, now we have additional tools to make bans even more permanent, so if they screw up this time ... it might as well mean the gallows.  
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Matt

• View Profile
Banned Users
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2003, 08:40:44 PM »
Even more permanant... would that mean banning like this: 34.*.*.*?

I can't really think of a way to effectivly ban people, because they can proxy/spoof IP addresses, and then get new E-mail addresses.
Matt
Contact Info in Profile

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
Banned Users
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2003, 08:49:24 PM »
Yes, but this Forum requires a unique e-mail address for each user.  So someone who's really determined to cause problems still could, but they would have to sign up for a new e-mail address, spoof their IP, register all over again, and get their password before they can cause trouble.  It's a decent deterrent.  And we also have ... other ways.

Offline Matt

• View Profile
Banned Users
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2003, 08:50:53 PM »
What are the so-called "other ways"?
Matt
Contact Info in Profile

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
Banned Users
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2003, 09:02:15 PM »
Like I'm going to tell.  

Offline MikeHrusecky

• View Profile
Banned Users
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2003, 09:03:05 PM »
The IP is traced to your house and I come over and sit on your head until you scream like an itty bitty girlie man.

Then I format C: and hit on your sister, if applicable, before I leave.    

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Banned Users
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2003, 06:19:39 AM »
But aren't you going to (clap) pump, you up first?

Offline PGC-Agent Cooper

• Founder
    • View Profile
Banned Users
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2003, 08:27:28 AM »
Attention: People who love large women who drive large trucks, your day has come....

Non-PC? Don't Be So Truckin' Stupid!

Eutechnyx have announced that their redneck racing simulator, Big Mutha Truckers® is thundering its way toward release on PC and Nintendo® GameCube.

The downside is that PC and GameCube owners will have to wait until April to get their hands on the unique driving game that's received rave reviews following its release on PlayStation®2 and XboxTM in December 2002.  

The good news is that developers Eutechnyx are adding additional features not present in the previous releases.

"We wanted to put some more stuff in to reward people for the wait", said somebody at Empire Interactive.

Most obvious amongst the new features is the Cash Crash Combo system, where players are rewarded for the amount of cars they can destroy en route. By creating "chains" of destruction, skilled players can add substantial rewards to their cash total and even spawn collectable power-ups.

Additional new features include bounties for shaking off bikers, more speech, new in-game challenges and additional sound effects.

Big Mutha Truckers® is set for release on PC and Nintendo® GameCubeTM in April 2003, published by Empire Interactive.

Billy Berghammer
Founder -- Planet GameCube.com

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Banned Users
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2003, 06:29:33 AM »
Id rather him hiton my sister(ok i really dont have a sister)...its better then him hitting on my brother(i had a freind who did that once....a guy....I am a tolerant person...but that is gross.)
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Cru_Jones83

• View Profile
Banned Users
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2003, 04:55:51 PM »
Quick Question,

I am at University right now, and everyone is on the same network and share the same IP... if some idiot at my University gets banned, does that mean that I am going to get banned as well?
F*CK THE FREEWORLD
~ B. Rabbit

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
Banned Users
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2003, 05:14:57 PM »
Possibly.  But that will be a last resort.

Offline Matt

• View Profile
Banned Users
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2003, 05:32:24 PM »
Yeah, I'm in the same situation, with the shared IP address stuff.

Also, the fact that mine periodically changes means if some other idiot gets banned, and then my IP changes to the one that is banned... I'm banned.
Matt
Contact Info in Profile

Offline Cru_Jones83

• View Profile
Banned Users
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2003, 07:58:29 PM »
That already happened to me on the EZ boards... I tried to log in... (I hadnt for like 5 days) and it said I was banned... luckily like 3 days later I was unbanned somehow (must have switched again).... just wondering if maybe you could use those "other measures" you were talking about before you do an IP ban... thanks Rick.
F*CK THE FREEWORLD
~ B. Rabbit

Offline Matt

• View Profile
Banned Users
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2003, 09:57:17 AM »
What would these other measures be?

Is it possible to ban a broadband user with thier MAC address?  
Matt
Contact Info in Profile

Offline OutOfTheCube

• View Profile
Banned Users
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2003, 05:02:37 PM »

Originally posted by: RickPowers
Unfortunately, it's nigh impossible for us to bring that ban list over here, so everyone effectively gets a second chance.  However, now we have additional tools to make bans even more permanent, so if they screw up this time ... it might as well mean the gallows.  

Third chance in my case...

I'm baaaaaack!

-OOTC

Offline Mike Works

• View Profile
Banned Users
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2003, 07:01:19 PM »
The last time someone evaded an IP ban, I got my country to make Avril Lavigne famous. Now we don't want something like that happening again... right?
http://www.planetgamecube.com - your number one source for everything and anything xbox

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Banned Users
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2003, 09:25:59 AM »
Definately not, and what ever happened to our comics?

Offline MrMen

• View Profile
Banned Users
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2003, 10:26:32 AM »
How do you change your IP address with proxies? If you are banned from an irc server for example.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
Banned Users
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2003, 12:12:49 PM »
Free Kevin

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Banned Users
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2003, 01:04:47 PM »
If anyone goes through the process of getting out of an IP ban, I eel very sorry for that person because s/he is so devoted to a message board on a Gamecube website that they have to break the law to visit it.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Matt

• View Profile
Banned Users
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2003, 07:21:14 PM »
Proxy is not illegal, nor is IRC BNC and stuff.

However, some dumb Super-DMCA bills want to make that illegal... along with firewalls, ICS, NAT and other useful stuff.
Matt
Contact Info in Profile

Offline enigma487

• Scalar, The Destructor!
    • View Profile
Banned Users
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2003, 04:55:20 PM »
rick,
you've got me intrigued (sp?) with you banning methods.  You say that blocking an IP is an option.  So.  i live in a college house.  we have 8 computers hooked up to the internet through an 8-port Linksys Router that is connected to our Cable modem.  to anyone in the realworld, our IP address will all look the same (actually the IP that Charter Communications gave our modem).  so, wouldn't an IP ban be sort of ridiculous?  you'd be blocking anyone that would be trying to post from any of the computers in my house.  and the same thing would happen at most schools, or anywhere that has a LAN set up...  wouldn't it?  now, i may not be the IT director of a website, but i do have a hand in a website and i'm pretty sure i have enough knowledge of computers to know that this isn't feasible...  another poster also mentioned to block by MAC address...  MAC addresses are only accessible across a LAN.  get on the net and they are useless.  feel free to write me back in this thread or e-mail me.    

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
Banned Users
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2003, 07:00:40 PM »
Like I said, we have other methods we can use as well, which I'm not at liberty to divulge.  

Offline Matt

• View Profile
Banned Users
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2003, 07:13:44 PM »
Something tells me cookies are involved in this secret method of banning people from the boards.
Matt
Contact Info in Profile

Offline enigma487

• Scalar, The Destructor!
    • View Profile
Banned Users
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2003, 07:40:43 AM »
not even to a curious Computer Science Major?
Matt:  Cookies are computer specific, and could be fixed just by clearing out your cache files.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
Banned Users
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2003, 04:44:25 PM »
Cookies? First of all, most people's Internet settings wouldn't allow PGC's cookies to get by since they would be third party and would have to get info without the user's permission....

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
Banned Users
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2003, 05:02:35 PM »
We don't use third-party cookies.  All our cookies are set by our server.  Third party cookies are ones that our advertisers would try to set, and we don't use those.  That said, no, that's not it ...